Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Our run defense has improved without Kris Jenkins

Jets Insider VIP
    all three (Pouha, Devito and Green) have done a really nice job filling in for BIG 77

Our DL coach (who replaced the dummy that got canned after a few games) and Pettine deserve tremendous credit for this

i makes you wonder

we all know that with jenkins this is a much more dominant defense, but more predictable.it seems rex is really comfortable with the felxibility that NOT having jenkins brings.they've played extremly well for an extended period of time without the services of one MR JENKINS.to be honest i like this d without jenkins in there, and the jets hove some big contracts coming up.all that being said, it's realllllly good to have the #1 d in the league.

I hope no one thinks that the D improved BECAUSE Jenkins is out.

I hope we're all in agreement that this is because of familiarity and an admirable job done by Pouha.

If Jenkins were to be in there now, those numbers drop even further and the D is even more scary.

Oh, and happy new year!!!

[QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3428396]Why do so many people think Pouha has taken over as the starting NT in place of Kris Jenkins :hmm:

I noticed that in the "unsung hero" thread too, but he hasn't, John

Mike DeVito has .. DeVito is the starter and Pouha is his backup, not the other way around

So its DeVito who deserves the bulk of the credit here, not Pouha, though Pouha has done well as the backup[/QUOTE]

This question intrigued me so I went back and looked at the Indy game. Based on the rotation in that game, it's crystal clear that Pouha is the starter. There were 65 defensive plays in the game and Pouha was the NT for 43% of those plays; next was Ellis (31%), then DeVito (12%). Pouha was the NT at the start of the game and the start of the 3rd quarter. What's more, he was on the field for 8 out of 9 of the plays where the Jets defense had its back against the wall (Indy was in the red zone, including the 2 point try, or was going for it on 4th down). DeVito was in on only 4 of these plays, and appeared to be lined up as DE, not NT. I should mention that DeVito actually lined up as DE more than as NT in general (9 defensive snaps at DE, 8 at NT). Pouha lined up as DE on 3 snaps, in addition to his 28 at NT.

To sum up: Pouha was on the field for 48% of the defensive snaps, the vast majority of which were at NT. He lined up at NT more than anyone else. He was the NT for the most important defensive plays. DeVito, on the other hand, was basically the third string NT and DE, though in the rotation, playing 26% of the total defensive snaps.

As for how well they played, certainly DeVito was in on one of the key plays of the game (the strip sack/fumble recovery), but otherwise, he and Pouha were basically doing their job, which was to tie up offensive linemen so LBs could make plays. I didn't analyze this as such, but my sense was that the biggest running gains Indy had took place when both Pouha and DeVito were not on the field and either Ellis or someone else was in as NT in a nickel or dime situation or two man line.

Banned
    [QUOTE=avi31884;3428382]Everyone thought Jenkins getting injured would cripple our defense and we wouldn't be able to stop the run. Turns out before Jenkins got injured we were allowing 4.0 yds per run while after he got injured we only allow 3.5 yds per run.

first 6 games 173 attempts for 694 yds which is 4.0 yds per run
    last 9 games 229 attempts for 812 yds which is 3.5 yds per run[/QUOTE]

I have to disagree on this one. I do not believe that our run Defense has improved because Kris Jenkins got hurt, lol, Kris Jenkins is one of the most dominating 3-4 NT's around.

During the 1st 6 games... Players such as Ellis, Jenkins, Pace, Harris, Thomas, Revis, Sheppard, Lowery and Rhodes were all learning a new defensive system under Rex Ryan. Bart Scott, Douglas and Leonard have been under this same exact system for years now, the Jets, as a Defense, have not.

There is a such thing as growing pains and against the run, I believe the whole Defense was going through growing pains; not just Kris Jenkins or what not. If Kris Jenkins was healthy, we would still be top 5 against the run as far as average yards per carry against goes. We are 3rd as of right now. And if anything, I honestly believe that Kris Jenkins would have stuffed that run for a TD last week against the Colts.

Lets not forget... During the 1st 6 games, while our Defense was learning a new defensive system on the fly... We went up against 3 of the top 5 rushing attack teams in the league in the Titans, Dolphins and Saints. Thats a tough start, against some great rushing attack types of teams.

Not to take anything away from Pouha, DeVito or the Jets D-Line without Kris Jenkins, but I just think it's crazy to say that the Jets run Defense has became better against the run "Because of the Kris Jenkins injury". Have we improved against the run since week 6? I guess so. But still, as of right now, I would LOVE to see Kris Jenkins as the anchor of our D-Line.

[QUOTE=DefenseWinsChampionships2;3430165]
    I just think it's crazy to say that the Jets run Defense has became better against the run.

Have we improved against the run since week 6? I guess so. [/QUOTE]

Its always good when you can contradict yourself in 2 sentences.

Banned
    [QUOTE=FF2;3430169]Its always good when you can contradict yourself in 2 sentences.[/QUOTE]

Nice job of taking out a huge part of what I said, just so you could "try and prove me wrong".[B] "Because of the Kris Jenkins injury". [/B] Remember that.

Just goes to show how much of a troll you really are. Either that, or, your just in love with "trying" to show everyone how wrong I really am. You know what? I'm starting to love it.

I said... "I just think it's crazy to say that the Jets run Defense has became better against the run [B]"Because of the Kris Jenkins injury". [/B] But yet, you refused to add that part when trying to quote me. You actually went out of your way to leave that part out, the most important part.

Have we improved against the run since week 6? I guess so." Once again, nice try.

Which means... Has the Jets Defense improved against the run since week 6? Yeah they have, but so has every other player on the Defensive side of the ball. And yea, I believe our run D would be just as good, if not better with Kris Jenkins as our anchor of the D-Line.
    Last edited by DefenseWinsChampionships2; 01-02-2010 at 05:34 PM.

[QUOTE=DefenseWinsChampionships2;3430179]Nice job of taking out a huge part of what I said, just so you could "try and prove me wrong".[B] "Because of the Kris Jenkins injury". [/B] Remember that.

Just goes to show how much of a troll you really are. Either that, or, your just in love with "trying" to show everyone how wrong I really am. You know what? I'm starting to love it.

I said... "I just think it's crazy to say that the Jets run Defense has became better against the run [B]"Because of the Kris Jenkins injury". [/B] But yet, you refused to add that part when trying to quote me. You actually went out of your way to leave that part out, the most important part.

Have we improved against the run since week 6? I guess so." Once again, nice try.

Which means... Has the Jets Defense improved against the run since week 6? Yeah they have, but so has every other player on the Defensive side of the ball. And yea, I believe our run D would be just as good, if not better with Kris Jenkins as our anchor of the D-Line.[/QUOTE]

I thought you had me on ignore?

The defense has played better against the run WITHOUT Jenkins. Thats a fact backed up by stats.

Don't get your panties in a twist chooch.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=John_0515;3428394]Even better. Overall, we're number 1.

Too bad for Cincy.[/QUOTE]

yeah #1! that, that sucks fah cincy big time.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    [QUOTE=avi31884;3428382]Everyone thought Jenkins getting injured would cripple our defense and we wouldn't be able to stop the run. Turns out before Jenkins got injured we were allowing 4.0 yds per run while after he got injured we only allow 3.5 yds per run.

Ah, how do we know it might be even better with KJ still there?

This is more of a collective of the entire defense stepping up to try to compensate for the loss of Jenkins. We may be doing a better job in general at stopping the run but I haven't seen any NT in the backfield harassing the QB since Jenkins went out.