Thread: need a rule clarification

need a rule clarification

maybe i am wrong but whats the rule for pressing/bumping a WR at the line of scrimmage. i might be wrong but i thought you were allowed to press or bump a WR at the line of scrimmage but then had to let him off. and if you are allowed to do it then the next question is [SIZE="5"]WHY DONT WE DO IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/SIZE]

I think if we are going to go far in the playoffs and by that i mean win in second round we need to bump atthe line. i just rewatched the indy game and i counted three times the whole first half we jammed a WR at the line. If you watch manning it seems most of the time he steps back and gets the ball there just as his receiver gets there. i think if maybe just maybe we disrupt the WR a little bit it might help.

All Pro
    I can't tell if you're serious or not, but I'll bite...

You can bump the WR within 5 yards of the LOS, but contact after that point is Illegal Contact or PI. And I think Revis does quite a bit of jamming, he's actually very good at "bump-n-run" coverage.

I don't know why the others don't bump more, but it's probably because they're not very good at it.

[QUOTE=vilmas vengance;3428594]maybe i am wrong but whats the rule for pressing/bumping a WR at the line of scrimmage. i might be wrong but i thought you were allowed to press or bump a WR at the line of scrimmage but then had to let him off. and if you are allowed to do it then the next question is [SIZE="5"]WHY DONT WE DO IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/SIZE]

I think if we are going to go far in the playoffs and by that i mean win in second round we need to bump atthe line. i just rewatched the indy game and i counted three times the whole first half we jammed a WR at the line. If you watch manning it seems most of the time he steps back and gets the ball there just as his receiver gets there. i think if maybe just maybe we disrupt the WR a little bit it might help.[/QUOTE]

You can jam - bump him for the first 5 yards. Anything after that is PI.

no i am serious on this topic. i just dont understand why we dont do it as much. revis actually doesnt do it as much as you think. he just recovers and covers with excellence. but in the future i hope we jam more...........especially wes welker.

The problem is, we only have 1 Revis. Bump n Run will burn the CB more times than not unless he has amazing recovery speed

[QUOTE=vilmas vengance;3428605]no i am serious on this topic. i just dont understand why we dont do it as much. revis actually doesnt do it as much as you think. he just recovers and covers with excellence. but in the future i hope we jam more...........especially wes welker.[/QUOTE]

You can't jam a slot receiver as well. Revis typically covers the wideout. The slot is off the line and has more space to get off a jam. Typically the TE can get chipped and the Wideout gets jammed depending on the coverage called.

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    [QUOTE=Conkboy;3428614][B]You can't jam a slot receiver as well[/B]. Revis typically covers the wideout. The slot is off the line and has more space to get off a jam. Typically the TE can get chipped and the Wideout gets jammed depending on the coverage called.[/QUOTE]

Never knew that. Good info.

While were on this subject, how come recievers on the outside are often lined up differently. (One may be right on the LOS, and the other may be 2-3 yards off the LOS)

I always was curious @ that.

[QUOTE=sdJETSetter;3428616]Never knew that. Good info.

While were on this subject, how come recievers on the outside are often lined up differently. (One may be right on the LOS, and the other may be 2-3 yards off the LOS)

I always was curious @ that.[/QUOTE]

You can have as many people on the line of scrimmage as you want but you can't have less than 7. Usually the TE is on the LOS for blocking purposes so only one WR is on the line.

In certain formations you will have your base package in but line a RB and TE on the Line of Scrimmage so your WRs can get a better release.

Jets Insider VIP
    not sure but I think the official rule allows ONE bump by a defender within the 5 yard zone

[QUOTE=Conkboy;3428617]You can have as many people on the line of scrimmage as you want but you can't have less than 7. Usually the TE is on the LOS for blocking purposes so only one WR is on the line.

In certain formations you will have your base package in but line a RB and TE on the Line of Scrimmage so your WRs can get a better release.[/QUOTE]

You must have exactly 7 on the line. The only eligible receivers are the 2 lined up on the end of the line and 3 lined up behind the LOS.

[QUOTE=MACPAC;3428598]You can jam - bump him for the first 5 yards. Anything after that is PI.[/QUOTE]

PI only if the ball is thrown during the contact , otherwize " illegal contact "

All League
    A key element that people are leaving out of this equation, is the fact that the "contact" has to be initiated by the defensive player. At the end of the Steeler Ravens game, on a 3rd and about 20, the Steelers got a gift illegal contact penalty when one of their receivers ran into a Ravens defender about 15 yds down field (what a shock ). the only way the raven defender could have avoided the contact would have been to let the receiver run by him. :rolleyes:

I CANNOT understand how they keep calling those illegal contact penalties like this, while at the same time IGNORING those occassions when a defender is grabbing on to the receivers shirt.

IMHO illegal conctact should ONLY be called IF the defender "impedes" the ability of the receiver to run his route after 5 yds. Incidental contact and contact initiated by the receiver should be ignored.
    Last edited by patsfanken; 01-01-2010 at 11:31 AM.

All League
    error