Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Brian Schottenheimer candidate for bills HC job

Hey, now we may actually beat the Bills. Cool.

All League
    I personally don't want him in our division, coaching against us.

All Pro
    Now if we can get Mangini to the dolphins, and Herm to the pats we'll be set.:yes:

[QUOTE=RageATL;3428651]Good riddance!

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzsCg79wQlE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzsCg79wQlE[/URL][/QUOTE]

Of course we all said that about Paul Hackett.....Who interestingly probably would of been a better OC for Sanchez this year. We should've stuck with a low risk ball control offense instead of the let's see how many gadget /risky plays we can install for our already overmatched rookie QB:rolleyes:

He's not what we want in an offensive coordinator. You don't run cute plays when you have an offense that can't establish rhythm to begin with. When we do establish any kind of momentum, he's often killed the drive with cute plays. Everyone gets upset with the Sanchez INTs, but the guy's a rookie, what did you expect? We have 2 viable RBs in the backfield, we need to use them, the playaction, and cut down on the cute stuff. Our offense needs to be more smash mouth, and less "out-thinking" itself.

I don't believe any team is really interested in Schiße. What has this guy done to convince anyone that he can be an NFL HC? How many QBs has he groomed? Innovative offenses designed? Right. So now the Bills or anybody else is going to see his stellar accomplishments and turn over their team? Not a f**king chance.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=sg3;3428706]right on cue

a prime example of exactly the type of gloom and doomer "fan" I just described[/QUOTE]

don't be a jack-bag. Guy has made a ton of play calls that are curious, at best. He has his strong points, but he's not a good play caller.

[QUOTE=Greentide;3428755]Of course we all said that about Paul Hackett.....Who interestingly probably would of been a better OC for Sanchez this year. We should've stuck with a low risk ball control offense instead of the let's see how many gadget /risky plays we can install for our already overmatched rookie QB:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

The funny thing is we killed Hackett for his conservative offense, only to eventually realize that he was only coaching that way because of #10's physical limitations. He was protecting us from overexposing him in hindsight.

As for Shotty, I'm on record as liking him more then most here, but congratulations to him if he can go out and get a HC'ing gig. Buffalo isn't a great spot for him though in that it's a complete rebuild, especially offensively. They have no confidence in Edwards at QB anymore, an overrated RB in Lynch (Although I do like Jackson), their top WR is the ultra-diva and old as dirt, a couple rookies on the OL and trash around them. There's just not much to build around on that side of the ball.

Perhaps that's why they want an offensive mind, because they know it's a complete re-build offensively. But they never seem to have enough patience to see these plans through because their owner could die any year now.
    Last edited by Ven0m; 01-01-2010 at 11:45 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    never said you weren't a fan

a gloom and doom all things negative sameoljets fan but, I guess, still a fan

[QUOTE=BIGKIDD325;3428683]He doesn't fit in with the way the Jets wanna play by running the ball a ton. I wouldn't be sad at all to see Schotty go.[/QUOTE]

It's the 21st century, the Jets only run the ball as much as they do because the guy playing QB is a 23 year old rookie.

I'd rather not be stuck in the Dark Ages, and I don't think Rex does either. Like any defensive coach he respects running the ball a ton, but I think a guy like him who's been in the league knows this is a passing game now.

That is why the BILLS are where they are.

If Shotty is their HC, without dad's help, they are sunk.

All Pro
    My only concern with Schotty leaving is that the kid will need to learn a new offense which IMO, would set him back further.

[QUOTE=RageATL;3428866]My only concern with Schotty leaving is that the kid will need to learn a new offense which IMO, would set him back further.[/QUOTE]

That's not much of a concern as long as you stay in-house. Someone like Callahan can keep the playbook, and just tweak/add/subtract some plays and especially the playcalling to fit his style. The transition would be minimal.

I wouldn't count myself among the Schotty haters. Nothing he has done here would make me particularly upset to see him leave. That being said, if I am the Bills, why would I consider an offensive coordinater of a division rival that we've seen twice a year for X years and has done nothing against my doormat team with decent talent. (As I typed that thought to myself...Wow what an indictment of an offensive coordinator).

[QUOTE=David Harris;3428636]Good luck to him.

It looks good for the Jets to have coveted assistants.

Schotty may make a better HC than OC. He's a smart and passionate young coach. I wish him well.

[B]As far as his loss goes it could help or hurt the Jets and Mark Sanchez's development.[/B] He gets a lot of heat but you could do a lot worse than Brian Schottenheimer but of course, we could do better. I haven't heard of any names that might replace him as our OC if he were to leave.[/QUOTE]
    Exactly. not sure what his loss would do to Sanchez's development. Does a new system cause him more confusion, or does it turn into a necessity to take one step back in order to take two steps forward.

All Pro
    Good riddance! knaahh-meean!

[QUOTE=RageATL;3428703]A drive killing reverse in the Indy game when the run game was working...yeah, the guy's a talent. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Serious question on Schotty for some of the more "technical"fans on here. (Consider myself a knowledgeable fan, but as for whether or not a scheme is good or not:confused:.)

Is Schotty's problem playcalling or scheme. Would someone else calling the plays on gameday, but with Schotty running the overall scheme be a viable alternative? Reason I ask is from my perspective, the general scheme seems to look good. Understand he has been held back somewhat by musical chairs/injured QB's since he has been here. But the play calling is almost always somewhat suspect (the referenced reverse being a prime example). THere never seems to be a flow and when there is, he tends to throw in a mind numbing "pet" play that kills the drive.

[QUOTE=PAJET;3428929]Serious question on Schotty for some of the more "technical"fans on here. (Consider myself a knowledgeable fan, but as for whether or not a scheme is good or not:confused:.)

[B]Is Schotty's problem playcalling or scheme. [/B] Would someone else calling the plays on gameday, but with Schotty running the overall scheme be a viable alternative? Reason I ask is from my perspective, the general scheme seems to look good. Understand he has been held back somewhat by musical chairs/injured QB's since he has been here. But the play calling is almost always somewhat suspect (the referenced reverse being a prime example). THere never seems to be a flow and when there is, he tends to throw in a mind numbing "pet" play that kills the drive.[/QUOTE]

Neither. Our OFFENSES problem is QB play, and it has been for years. When Pennington, Favre, and even Clemens played well the offense played well and won games. When they didn't, we sucked and lost.

I realize Schotty deserves hell for not producing an MVP caliber QB and a top offense yet, but that's not really how this works. In the end, he's still not the guy playing the game.

[QUOTE=SenorGato;3428938]Neither. Our OFFENSES problem is QB play, and it has been for years. When Pennington, Favre, and even Clemens played well the offense played well and won games. When they didn't, we sucked and lost.

I realize Schotty deserves hell for not producing an MVP caliber QB and a top offense yet, but that's not really how this works. In the end, he's still not the guy playing the game.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough, but unless Sanchez audibles frequently, Schotty called the reverse against the Colts and Schotty called the pass plays against the Bills when he knew his QB was struggling and the running game was rolling. Schotty also calls the plays on 3rd downs with shotgun and empty backfield with a rookie.

I understand that Schotty is handicapped with a rookie qb. Certain struggles are to be expected. But why not more screens early to get him in a rythm?

SG - you say it is not the OC it is the qb. What in your opinion then makes Schotty a good OC?

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=TheMikeIsHot;3428631]This is what some might call killing two birds with one stone.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree - ruin the Bills and let us get a real OC.
    Only wish it happened last year so it could be Mark's 2nd year in the system.