Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No More HGTV Or FoodNetwork On Cablevision...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

No More HGTV Or FoodNetwork On Cablevision...

Damn bastids...
    As of 12:01 AM on 1/1/10, Cablevision lost the rights to broadcast these 2 channels.
    Now they are running a nonstop disclaimer apologizing for the inconvenience.
    Of course, these 2 channels were the wife's favorite ones...
    I could always count on "Househunters" or "Iron Chef America" to keep the wife amused while I watched SNY, ESPN, or the last Jet game I taped...
    Just like everything else, Pay more, Get less!
    :mad:

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    WTF, seriously?

On HGTV I regularly watched and enjoyed House Hunters, HH International, and Property Virgins; on the Food Network I enjoyed looking at Giada's cleavage.

Fascist thugs. Another huge demerit for Cablevision (for the love of ****, can I please get the NFL Network??!?)

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good. F**k TV and especially the "brain trust" that runs it. Another bunch of morons mired in approaches and systems which were instituted in the 50s. For a monthly fee, every program should be accessible via an on demand menu either through your cable/satellite remote or computer. The technology is available, but these myopic dolts refuse to embrace it. They learned nothing from the catastrophic end of the record business resulting from their "head in the sand" response to emerging media and technologies.

Happy New Year, everybody.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;3428751]Good. F**k TV and especially the "brain trust" that runs it. Another bunch of morons mired in approaches and systems which were instituted in the 50s. For a monthly fee, every program should be accessible via an on demand menu either through your cable/satellite remote or computer. The technology is available, but these myopic dolts refuse to embrace it. They learned nothing from the catastrophic end of the record business resulting from their "head in the sand" response to emerging media and technologies.

Happy New Year, everybody.[/QUOTE]

I'm diggin' MediaFly and Hulu services...I'm getting content on Mediafly that's simply not available via cable or satellite. It's got a long way to go, but it's a good start.

This might get you your HGTV fix....: [url]http://www.hgtv.com/full-episodes/package/index.html[/url]
    Last edited by frostlich; 01-01-2010 at 11:44 AM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=frostlich;3428815]I'm diggin' MediaFly and Hulu services...I'm getting content on Mediafly that's simply not available via cable or satellite. It's got a long way to go, but it's a good start.[/QUOTE]

No doubt it is a start. I just believe, in today's world, all media should be connected and accessible at all times. Just as they did with the music business, young people will demand this accessibility and become the agents for change. I really believe this is right around the corner.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    a la carte programming.

Lets do it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;3428679]WTF, seriously?

On HGTV I regularly watched and enjoyed House Hunters, HH International, and Property Virgins; on the Food Network I enjoyed looking at Giada's cleavage.

Fascist thugs. Another huge demerit for Cablevision (for the love of ****, can I please get the NFL Network??!?)[/QUOTE]

The solution is DirecTV.

I made the switch about 4 months ago and it's be best decision I made all year. :yes:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TheMikeIsHot;3428873]The solution is DirecTV.

I made the switch about 4 months ago and it's be best decision I made all year. :yes:[/QUOTE]

i have directv since its inception..only probable i have with them they have gotten expensive and they do nothing for long time customers while giving great deals for newbies...

question i, considering switching to verizon fios now because they have red zone channel plus great offer on triple play which i already have internet and phone..can anyone advise if they have had both services the plus and minuses of both and second is the red zone channel on fios the same concept as directv? i know its produced independently but is it the same concept?? thanks for your help

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fantastic news I say. Stuff like HGTV is what I think is [B]TRULY[/B] in the category of "Dangerous, imitatable television." Wives watch this home improvement nonsense and all of the sudden they think "hey! we can do this!" All of the sudden you find your entire weekend blown, missing a football game because you're in a half-destroyed bathroom, because Carter F***in Oosterhouse convinced your wife that any schmuck can lay tile!!!!!!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TheMikeIsHot;3428873]The solution is DirecTV.

I made the switch about 4 months ago and it's be best decision I made all year. :yes:[/QUOTE]

To get these channels, yes. In the broader picture, not at all. It's still an antiquated, static, system. I was just watching TV (Cablevision) and preaching to my wife for the millionth time about how we should have total access to all media from/through our TV. I should be able to watch a program, then check my emails or post on JI through a modern interpretation of a cable/media remote/keyboard. There is no question in my mind that the capability exists. The networks, cable companies, and satellite services are just holding on for dear life to the existing system.

My son is 11 1/2 and i have noticed that since we gave him his own laptop last July, his TV viewing has dropped precipitously. Most of his TV watching is via Hulu or other on sites like Nickelodeon. Just as the younger generation--through Napster, etc.--initiated the downfall of the record business, and the advent of purchasing music online, so will they bring about radical changes in how we approach media in this decade.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;3428886]To get these channels, yes. In the broader picture, not at all. It's still an antiquated, static system. I was just watching TV (Cablevision) and preaching to my wife for the millionth time about how we should have total access to all media from/through our TV. I should be able to watch a program, then check my emails or post on JI through a modern interpretation of a cable/media remote/keyboard. There is no question in my mind that the capability exists. The networks, cable companies, and satellite services are just holding on for dear life to the existing system.

My son is 11 1/2 and i have noticed that since we gave him his own laptop last July, his TV viewing has dropped precipitously. Most of his TV watching is via Hulu or other on sites like Nickelodeon. Just as the younger generation--through Napster, etc.--initiated the downfall of the record business, and the advent of purchasing music online, so will they bring about radical changes in how we approach media in this decade.[/QUOTE]

I agree that we should be able to watch whatever we want, whenever we want. And I'm sure that isn't too far away. On-Demand has come a long way in recent years and it's a short time away, IMO, from a real breakthrough.

But I won't ever watch the bulk of my entertainment on a computer until the display is on par with that of an HDTV, and it's just not there yet. I do the whole VGA cable and HDMI output from my laptop from time to time (mainly for MLB.TV) and it just doesn't look as good.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TheMikeIsHot;3428898]I agree that we should be able to watch whatever we want, whenever we want. And I'm sure that isn't too far away. On-Demand has come a long way in recent years and it's a short time away, IMO, from a real breakthrough.

[B]But I won't ever watch the bulk of my entertainment on a computer until the display is on par with that of an HDTV, and it's just not there yet. I do the whole VGA cable and HDMI output from my laptop from time to time (mainly for MLB.TV) and it just doesn't look as good.[/B][/QUOTE]

Precisely what I'm saying. They can make this happen overnight if the marketplace demanded it, which it will in very short order. Did you ever think you'd see the day that virtually all music was bought instantaneously through the internet? Other than capital investment, there is no reason why all aspects of current media--TV, internet, etc.--should not come through in 1080p (not i) on your large screen TV. Why are we still tied to tiny (although larger and with better resolution than in the old days) monitors when we're at home? It's coming real soon.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cablevision sticks to both sides on a regular basis, I switched to FIOS as soon as I could and have not regretted it one bit.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;3428679] on the Food Network I enjoyed looking at Giada's cleavage.

[/QUOTE]

There are some hotties on HGTV as well. Knowing you're just as shallow as I am makes me feel better. Thanks! :)

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    FIOS fellas...the only thing I'm missing is that MSG High School channel I would enjoy.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=YorkPAJetsFan;3428882]Fantastic news I say. Stuff like HGTV is what I think is [B]TRULY[/B] in the category of "Dangerous, imitatable television." Wives watch this home improvement nonsense and all of the sudden they think "hey! we can do this!" All of the sudden you find your entire weekend blown, missing a football game because you're in a half-destroyed bathroom, because Carter F***in Oosterhouse convinced your wife that any schmuck can lay tile!!!!!![/QUOTE]

Union guy, huh?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=YorkPAJetsFan;3428882]Fantastic news I say. Stuff like HGTV is what I think is [B]TRULY[/B] in the category of "Dangerous, imitatable television." Wives watch this home improvement nonsense and all of the sudden they think "hey! we can do this!" All of the sudden you find your entire weekend blown, missing a football game because you're in a half-destroyed bathroom, because Carter F***in Oosterhouse convinced your wife that any schmuck can lay tile!!!!!![/QUOTE]
    lol

or your living room painted and looking sharp :D

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I feel for HGTV/ Food Channel fans. When I first moved to LI there was no cable TV in Queens yet. So, I thought it was great that I'd finally get to see all the Rangers and Knicks games finally. Well, right as I moved Cablevision was in a dispute with MSG (back before they bought the Garden and MSG Network) like they are with Scripps Network right now. I didn't see squat that whole season. Then I got screwed again in 2002 when they didn't carry the YES Network for the entire season.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Food Network started to suck a few years ago anyway. They've become the MTV of culinary TV. Do they even have any trained chefs on the network anymore?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Cable bill went up $4 this month....for what exactly? Now we're down two channels?