Thread: Media setting Jets fans up for disappointment??

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Media setting Jets fans up for disappointment??

I have never seen the media try so hard to set us up for disappointment.

I guess it's understandable, given the fact that we have blown this kind of opportunity so many times but all I see everywhere are articles like these:
    [QUOTE]
    [B]The Jets have teased their fans many times over the past three decades, and this game could provide just the latest chapter to that novel of discontent.[/B] Everything fell into place for New York last week. The Colts removed their starters in the third quarter, allowing the Jets to rally for the win, and then the Dolphins, Jaguars and Broncos all lost, giving the Jets control of their own destiny. Unfortunately for New York, Cincinnati is not a good matchup. The Jets rely on their running game and defense. The Bengals, however, have the league's second-ranked rush defense and excel at winning close, low-scoring games. Additionally, Cincinnati has just the kind of playmaking cornerbacks that have befuddled Mark Sanchez all year. Giants Stadium may just close out with another loss, and more fans storming to the exits in anger.[/QUOTE][url]http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8156574c&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true[/url]

[QUOTE][B]New York Jets fans have disappointment in their DNA.
    Perhaps it stands for Did Not Advance.[/B]
    The Jets have maneuvered into the unlikely position of controlling their own destiny Sunday night against the Cincinnati Bengals at the Meadowlands.
    [/QUOTE][url]http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/15335/jets-have-done-more-often-than-died[/url]

I guess if the Jets loss this one, it would just take the cake and cement us as SOJ forever.

I don't know if it's just me but they need to win this game for the sake of the franchise whether it's against the starters or the JV squad.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow,

not only is the media an ass for reporting things that they apparently have top secret access to (CIA - Secret Service - FBI), but they're so positive with things that it makes you not want to watch the games.

This is why guys like Cimini, Francessa, and the bunch should be fired and put out of their misery.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    for the sake of the franchise?

Why, will the Jets secretly move out in the middle of the night and relocate to another city?

The franchise will be fine win or lose.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PocketJet;3428758]for the sake of the franchise?

Why, will the Jets secretly move out in the middle of the night and relocate to another city?

The franchise will be fine win or lose.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I think we need this win more for the sake of the fanbase.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PocketJet;3428758]for the sake of the franchise?

[B]Why, will the Jets secretly move out in the middle of the night and relocate to another city?[/B]

The franchise will be fine win or lose.[/QUOTE]

They should if they lose and blow this.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    No sense in getting all bent out of shape if we lose this weekend, just enjoy the game. Our team looks much improved from last year and our rookie QB has shown some serious potential even with all of the mistakes he's made, we have a good GM who knows how to build a talented core and a coach who made our defense the best in the league. If we get in anything could happen, but if not whatever, for the first time since Parcells was our HC I genuinely think that our team is on the way up.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The New York media, as it is presently constituted (Francessa, gary Myers, Rich Cimini just to name a few) will always treat the jets and their fans like second class people. They are quick to negatively stereotype the entire fan base (a fool's errand) but treat with reverance the yankee, giant base. The way this ends is two-fold;

1. [B]The Jets need to continue to build a long term successful franchise.[/B] The Patriots went from laughing stock to one of the premire sports franchises. So did the 49ers for years after being labeled a joke. The same was true for the steelers when they won after spending the 1950s and 60s as a punchline. Winning and winning big cures a lot of ills and puts to rest a lot of phony myths like the same old jets garbage-just ask the Red Sox.

2. [B]The old school media heads have to retire.[/B] They are the establishment and they grew up in an era when the Jets ran their team like a second class franchise. Unless the Jets do the above they will always see the Jets that way (you can hear it in Francessa's comments when he gets angry at the team or fanbase). New blood means new perspectives and experiences are brought to the table. As an example, fans that started rooting for the Jets around 1997 have a very different prespective on the team's outlook then fans like Benigno who watched the team being run like it was hobby by Hess.
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 01-01-2010 at 11:19 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    the media's not playing on Sunday....two things can happen....

1) the Jets lose and the ridicule gets ramped up...

2) they win and we can tell everyone to STFU....

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=XingDaorong;3428780]No sense in getting all bent out of shape if we lose this weekend, just enjoy the game. Our team looks much improved from last year and our rookie QB has shown some serious potential even with all of the mistakes he's made, we have a good GM who knows how to build a talented core and a coach who made our defense the best in the league. If we get in anything could happen, but if not whatever, for the first time since Parcells was our HC I genuinely think that our team is on the way up.[/QUOTE]

you're being too reasonable....while this train of thought is 1000% right on, it does not make interesting reading....

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;3428784]The New York media, as it is presently constituted (Francessa, gary Myers, Rich Cimini just to name a few) will always treat the jets and their fans like second class people. They are quick to negatively stereotype the entire fan base (a fool's errand) but treat with reverance the yankee, giant base. The way this ends is two-fold;

1. [B]The Jets need to continue to build a long term successful franchise.[/B] The Patriots went from laughing stock to one of the premire sports franchises. So did the 49ers for years after being labeled a joke. The same was true for the steelers when they won after spending the 1950s and 60s as a punchline. Winning and winning big cures a lot of ills and puts to rest a lot of phony myths like the same old jets garbage-just ask the Red Sox.

2. [B]The old school media heads have to retire.[/B] They are the establishment and they grew up in an era when the Jets ran their team like a second class franchise. Unless the Jets do the above they will always see the Jets that way (you can hear it in Francessa's comments when he gets angry at the team or fanbase). New blood means new perspectives and experiences are brought to the table. As an example, fans that started rooting for the Jets around 1997 have a very different prespective on the team's outlook then fans like Benigno who watched the team being run like it was hobby by Hess.[/QUOTE]

hate to point out the obvious but #1 takes care of #2....

as a longtime Jets fan I can tell you this- the ridicule the Jets face today is what big blew experienced in the late 70's....they didn't stop the ridicule by complaining about it- they stopped it by winning....

ditto the NY Rangers...
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 01-01-2010 at 11:36 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3428793]you're being too reasonable....while this train of thought is 1000% right on, it does not make interesting reading....[/QUOTE]

I know right? :D I want a win as bad as the next fan, but we should be realistic about this. Sanchez has looked good against some decent defensive teams (and awful against some others), but expecting him to lead us to a Super Bowl against the Colts, Chargers, or Patriots right now is too much. We have the #1 rushing attack, but teams can stack the box and take that away if they play smart, and once that's gone we either curl up into an overly conservative offensive shell and hope the run game starts to work against eight man fronts or ask Sanchez to start taking chancy throws.

This isn't our year, but we have an excellent, productive core of players to build around. Once Sanchez gets over the rookie wall this offense will pick up big time, and if our GM makes some minor changes on defense (maybe adding another legit pass rusher in the draft) we will be ready to take on these elite teams consistently.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=XingDaorong;3428804]I know right? :D I want a win as bad as the next fan, but we should be realistic about this. Sanchez has looked good against some decent defensive teams (and awful against some others), but expecting him to lead us to a Super Bowl against the Colts, Chargers, or Patriots right now is too much. We have the #1 rushing attack, but teams can stack the box and take that away if they play smart, and once that's gone we either curl up into an overly conservative offensive shell and hope the run game starts to work against eight man fronts or ask Sanchez to start taking chancy throws.

This isn't our year, but we have an excellent, productive core of players to build around. Once Sanchez gets over the rookie wall this offense will pick up big time, and if our GM makes some minor changes on defense (maybe adding another legit pass rusher in the draft) we will be ready to take on these elite teams consistently.[/QUOTE]

and you need to be realistic about it moving forward....Sanchez may not be ready to win a title for 2-to-3 more years....

which is why I find it kind of funny when people on this board want the Jets to make a move for the Richard Seymour's of the world- players who are over the hill now and will be senior citizens the time Sanchez is ready...

point being the best thing the Jets can do in FA is sign a bunch of second contract, 4/5 year players versus some aged, big name vet...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3428799]hate to point out the obvious but #1 takes care of #2....

as a longtime Jets fan I can tell you this- the ridicule the Jets face today is what big blew experienced in the late 70's....they didn't stop the ridicule by complaining about it- they stopped it by winning....

ditto the NY Rangers...[/QUOTE]

fair enough, winning does cure all ills. But old habits die hard and I am not sure that old school media types wont have the same old jets phrase at the tip of their lips after the first heart breaking loss even after a super bowl.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MDL_JET;3428753]I have never seen the media try so hard to set us up for disappointment.

I guess it's understandable, given the fact that we have blown this kind of opportunity so many times but all I see everywhere are articles like these:
    [url]http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8156574c&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true[/url]

[url]http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/15335/jets-have-done-more-often-than-died[/url]

I guess if the Jets loss this one, it would just take the cake and cement us as SOJ forever.

I don't know if it's just me but they need to win this game for the sake of the franchise whether it's against the starters or the JV squad.[/QUOTE]and you're doing your part..."for the sake of the franchise"???...if we lose we'll be pissed and be right back here next year....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;3428824]fair enough, winning does cure all ills. But old habits die hard and I am not sure that old school media types wont have the same old jets phrase at the tip of their lips after the first heart breaking loss even after a super bowl.[/QUOTE]but how does that affect your interest in the jets?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;3428824]fair enough, winning does cure all ills. But old habits die hard and I am not sure that old school media types wont have the same old jets phrase at the tip of their lips after the first heart breaking loss even after a super bowl.[/QUOTE]

if they do big fuqing deal- more reason to laugh at them...it's like someone trying to complain about the Yankees..

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    I consider the fact that we are playing a meaningful game at all on Sunday to be gravy.

Rookie HC and Rookie QB, we really shouldnt be.

I also believe our "A" game could get us a few games into the playoffs, and if we could generate some sort of fricken pass rush, who knows?

The Jets have been inconsistent enough this season, coaching and executing on the field, that I cant seriously blame any media types for their dim views on the Jets chances.

Oddly, after years of conditioning, I am more at ease with this scenario than the hysterical SB talk after the 3-0 start.

:dunno:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, just like their stupid Week 12 "zomg inter-city SB coming up" garbage last year.

Why can't we just play?