Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIRECTV OR VERIZON FIOS?

DIRECTV OR VERIZON FIOS?

i have directv since its inception..only probable i have with them they have gotten expensive and they do nothing for long time customers while giving great deals for newbies...

question i, considering switching to verizon fios now because they have red zone channel plus great offer on triple play which i already have internet and phone..can anyone advise if they have had both services the plus and minuses of both and second is the red zone channel on fios the same concept as directv? i know its produced independently but is it the same concept?? thanks for your help

P.S. IF IT HELPS I LIVE ON LONG ISLAND..

All Pro
    DTV customer service is better then Verizon, what you mite want to do is call DTV and explain that you are planiing on canceling because Verizon is less expensive, usally they will give you free movie chanels or lower your rate, they will always give you something.

You don't have to even ask, just tell them your unhappy with there product.

Fios is the Direct TV feed.

Fios pricing is set up to compete with the cable companies (cablevision, comcast, time warner...)

Fios is the Direct TV feed.

Fios pricing and connections are set up to compete with the cable companies (cablevision, comcast, time warner...)

I have never had Fios, but of my friends that have, they love it...I have Direct TV...

I have had both and Directv is a good product if bad weather hits you may lose your signal. I have had FIOS for 2 years and love it and I really hated Cablevision they nickel and dime you to death.

Hall Of Fame
    FIOS internet is the best internet service by a LONG way. If you do not already have that then that would be reason enough to go out and get FIOS today. If you already have FIOS Internet then TV services are very comparable between Cablevision, FIOS and Direct TV. Most will sweeten the deals to get you to sign up. Most will sweeten your current deal to get to to not switch away from them.

With FIOS you will be dealing with a one year or two year contract. Cablevision is pay as you go. NFL red Zone costs extra, I am not sure how much. Some audio/video purists will argue that the HD you get from Direct TV is not the highest definition because of the compression that is used before the signal gets to your house.

I would switch if you want the best internet otherwise I would check what sweeteners are being offered in your area.

[QUOTE=Bleed Green;3428920]Fios is the Direct TV feed.

Fios pricing and connections are set up to compete with the cable companies (cablevision, comcast, time warner...)

I have never had Fios, but of my friends that have, they love it...I have Direct TV...[/QUOTE]

if its the same feed wouldnt picture quality be same..i also noticed fios in my area doesnt carry msg network in HD..that would be a bummer for ranger/knick games!!

Back in February 2006 I switched from Cablevision to Verizon. At the time Verizon was not offering Fios TV in my neighborhood (LI) so they set me up with Directv. I loved Directv, but in the summer of '08 they offered Fios TV in my neighborhood. I switched because they gave me a great offer. IMO, they both are excellent. If Verizon is offering you a triple play (phone, internet, TV) take it. I have no regrets switching to Fios TV.

[B]Bottom line is either Directv of Fios is miles ahead of Cablevision.[/B]

[QUOTE=JetsFanatic;3428946]Back in February 2006 I switched from Cablevision to Verizon. At the time Verizon was not offering Fios TV in my neighborhood (LI) so they set me up with Directv. I loved Directv, but in the summer of '08 they offered Fios TV in my neighborhood. I switched because they gave me a great offer. IMO, they both are excellent. If Verizon is offering you a triple play (phone, internet, TV) take it. I have no regrets switching to Fios TV.

[B]Bottom line is either Directv of Fios is miles ahead of Cablevision.[/B][/QUOTE]

thanks for your help..do u have msg network in HD W THE FIOS?:confused:

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=ryan10;3428959]thanks for your help..do u have msg network in HD W THE FIOS?:confused:[/QUOTE]

The Dolan's who own Cablevision, are also the owners of MSG (years of gouging LI customers brought them hundreds of millions of dollars to buy themselves little trinkets like the Knicks and Rangers).

So as the owners of MSG, they can choose to withhold the HD feed for the Rangers and Knicks from non-Cablevision networks. And they do just that.

P.S. The Dolan's also gave us Isaiah Thomas and they killed the West Side Yards deal which would have given the Jets their own stadium.

[QUOTE=EM31;3429014]The Dolan's who own Cablevision, are also the owners of MSG (years of gouging LI customers brought them hundreds of millions of dollars to buy themselves little trinkets like the Knicks and Rangers).

So as the owners of MSG, they can choose to withhold the HD feed for the Rangers and Knicks from non-Cablevision networks. And they do just that.

P.S. The Dolan's also gave us Isaiah Thomas and they killed the West Side Yards deal which would have given the Jets their own stadium.[/QUOTE]

INTERESTING THEY ARE SC**B***!! but i have directv and they carry msg in HD..wondering why dolans didnt block them??

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=ryan10;3428935]if its the same feed wouldnt picture quality be same..i also noticed fios in my area doesnt carry msg network in HD..that would be a bummer for ranger/knick games!![/QUOTE]
    Not necessarily. Direct TV bounces their signal off a satelite and they compress the signal before they do this. The compression algorithm is excellent and reduces the amount of bandwidth that is required by a lot while only reducing picture accuracy by a very little bit. (this permits Direct TV to carry far more "HD" channels).

But there is loss of fidelity (audio/video accuracy) on the encode/decode cycle. The same HD channel from FIOS native or Direct TV is not 100% the same quality.

[QUOTE=EM31;3429023]Not necessarily. Direct TV bounces their signal off a satelite and they compress the signal before they do this. The compression algorithm is excellent and reduces the amount of bandwidth that is required by a lot while only reducing picture accuracy by a very little bit. (this permits Direct TV to carry far more "HD" channels).

But there is loss of fidelity (audio/video accuracy) on the encode/decode cycle. The same HD channel from FIOS native or Direct TV is not 100% the same quality.[/QUOTE]

ok..in lament terms fios has a better picture or directv?? sorry im a bit slow..:D

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=ryan10;3429033]ok..in lament terms fios has a better picture or directv?? sorry im a bit slow..:D[/QUOTE]
    They are very close but FIOS does not compress and then uncompress the signal before it gets to your box whereas Direct TV does. Therefore FIOS does not "lose" any signal information getting to your house.

FIOS is better.

But to be clear, the difference is very very small.

[QUOTE=EM31;3429045]They are very close but FIOS does not compress and then uncompress the signal before it gets to your box whereas Direct TV does. Therefore FIOS does not "lose" any signal information getting to your house.

FIOS is better.

But to be clear, the difference is very very small.[/QUOTE]

gotcha..the msg issue is a bit bothersome and i need to find out if there red zone channel is the same as directv's version or close enough before i make the switch...

Hall Of Fame
    Incidentally Comcast cable uses notoriously bad compression. They are truly raping their customers by compressing signal quality down more than anyone else.

Until there is true competition in all markets this stuff will continue to happen. Cablevision for examplke have been far more willing to listen to customers only since people have a real choice.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=EM31;3428932]FIOS internet is the best internet service by a LONG way. If you do not already have that then that would be reason enough to go out and get FIOS today. If you already have FIOS Internet then TV services are very comparable between Cablevision, FIOS and Direct TV. Most will sweeten the deals to get you to sign up. Most will sweeten your current deal to get to to not switch away from them.

With FIOS you will be dealing with a one year or two year contract. Cablevision is pay as you go. NFL red Zone costs extra, I am not sure how much. Some audio/video purists will argue that the HD you get from Direct TV is not the highest definition because of the compression that is used before the signal gets to your house.

I would switch if you want the best internet otherwise I would check what sweeteners are being offered in your area.[/QUOTE]

+1 I'm right next door to EM31

FIOS is so good I"ve actually never had to call customer service. When I had DirecTV, something effed up was always happening (outage, losing my channel lineup, etc)

Jets Insider VIP
    DirecTV. What I do is I have a friend down by the NYC area who mailed me an extra converter box up here to Buffalo. I grabbed an old dish off of one of my old rentals and hooked it up. The extra converter only costs him and extra 20/month...so we just split the bill 50/50.

Sunday Ticket, all premium channels, etc. for 40% less than I would pay if I had DirecTV outright. We're gonna do the same thing with another of my co-workers, so we'll split the bill three-ways for even more glorious savings. :P

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3430996] The extra converter only costs him and extra 20/month...so we just split the bill 50/50.

[/QUOTE]

I'm probably misunderstanding something as usual, but extra boxes for DTV are only 5.99/month.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=OrangeJet;3431298]I'm probably misunderstanding something as usual, but extra boxes for DTV are only 5.99/month.[/QUOTE]

Even better. I wasn't sure exactly how much the extra boxes cost...20 was a guess.

Either way, my friend and I just split the bill. =win!