Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIRECTV OR VERIZON FIOS?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3431394]Even better. I wasn't sure exactly how much the extra boxes cost...20 was a guess.

Either way, my friend and I just split the bill. =win![/QUOTE]

Cool...with the NYC zip code, you could probably just skip Sunday Ticket and watch the NYC local feed...unless you wanted all of the games, of course.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=quantum;3430928]+1 I'm right next door to EM31

FIOS is so good I"ve actually never had to call customer service. When I had DirecTV, something effed up was always happening (outage, losing my channel lineup, etc)[/QUOTE]

did u have red zone channel w fios? did u like it?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3430996]DirecTV. What I do is I have a friend down by the NYC area who mailed me an extra converter box up here to Buffalo. I grabbed an old dish off of one of my old rentals and hooked it up. The extra converter only costs him and extra 20/month...so we just split the bill 50/50.

Sunday Ticket, all premium channels, etc. for 40% less than I would pay if I had DirecTV outright. We're gonna do the same thing with another of my co-workers, so we'll split the bill three-ways for even more glorious savings. :P[/QUOTE]

ummmmmmmmm..isnt that like illegal???

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ryan10;3434622]ummmmmmmmm..isnt that like illegal???[/QUOTE]

I dunno....is it?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3435497]I dunno....is it?[/QUOTE]

A very interesting question as I had paid extra $ for 1-2 receivers when
    you were able to own them outright (now can only lease) and for service
    to them. After I learned I could simply take my home box to the tailgate/road with me, I stopped paying fees for those extra boxes and
    lopped them off my account.

According to people who work(ed) for D*, at one time long ago you needed 1 account per STB anywhere. Post satellite TV industry consolidation and for other reasons, today, as long as you have legal title or right of possession to the 2nd/multiple home, rv, etc. you can have many boxes linked to the same account even if they are geographically dispersed.

In your instance PK, your friend is subleasing service to you
    and technically that is TOS. [U]Disclaimer: I am not approving or disapproving your collective actions[/U] [B]but[/B] since the receivers on the account are being paid for as additionals as long as you don't discuss the particular locations and don't connect a phone/network line to them (I never have and never needed to) I don't think you will have any issues because unlike employers locating wandering employees via
    cell phone/laptop links AFAIK D* dont/cant use the satellite to check physical locations of boxes.

If service is interrupted make sure your friend who is the account holder does the talking and only mentions his info, no need to go beyond the
    basic S/N & access card # (name, rank & serial #, sir!)

Did you tune it w/ the local zip code or left the old one in. Just curious
    to know if you are receiving NYC locals or not.

Slingboxing 1 D* anywhere is legal as well.

The D* technician who made this comment on a satellite TV/av forum said the most egregious abuse was someone having 59 boxes on one account "Grandma's Attic" "Uncle's Den" etc. :P

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3435497]I dunno....is it?[/QUOTE]

Yes, it's stealing. They can't really track it though because if you have a motorhome with Directv it works the same way, it's essentially another room in your house.
    I've had Directv for 11 years and if it wasn't for the NFL package I would be outta there. Customer service shows zero respect for long time customers who pay a crap load of money monthly. My bill is $250 mo during the Football & Hockey season, have 8 receivers and get no deals from them.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jungle Shift Jet;3435597]In your instance PK, your friend is subleasing service to you
    and technically that is TOS. [U]Disclaimer: I am not approving or disapproving your collective actions[/U] [B]but[/B] since the receivers on the account are being paid for as additionals as long as you don't discuss the particular locations and don't connect a phone/network line to them (I never have and never needed to) I don't think you will have any issues because unlike employers locating wandering employees via
    cell phone/laptop links AFAIK D* dont/cant use the satellite to check physical locations of boxes.

If service is interrupted make sure your friend who is the account holder does the talking and only mentions his info, no need to go beyond the
    basic S/N & access card # (name, rank & serial #, sir!)

Did you tune it w/ the local zip code or left the old one in. Just curious
    to know if you are receiving NYC locals or not.

Slingboxing 1 D* anywhere is legal as well.

The D* technician who made this comment on a satellite TV/av forum said the most egregious abuse was someone having 59 boxes on one account "Grandma's Attic" "Uncle's Den" etc. :P[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't call DirecTV myself if there were any issues...I'd let my friend handle all that. I only use the thing on the weekend to watch football when my buddy comes over. It was actually his idea because he was sick and tired of coming to my house on Sundays and not being able to watch the RedZone channel...

And BTW, I do actually still have the NYC local channel lineup.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3435605]I wouldn't call DirecTV myself if there were any issues...I'd let my friend handle all that. I only use the thing on the weekend to watch football when my buddy comes over. It was actually his idea because he was sick and tired of coming to my house on Sundays and not being able to watch the RedZone channel...

And BTW, I do actually still have the NYC local channel lineup.[/QUOTE]

If you are out of the NYC area but have the NYC zip your box, you don't need any of the "extra" sports packages because your geting the local feed, correct? Are you even in NY?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetsnrangers;3435615]If you are out of the NYC area but have the NYC zip your box, you don't need any of the "extra" sports packages because your geting the local feed, correct? Are you even in NY?[/QUOTE]

Am I in NY? Barely...

You're correct, I don't "need" those extra sports packages...but I am severely addicted to the Red Zone Channel. I actually caught wood when they switched the Jets-Bengals game to 8:30pm because it meant I could watch the RZ channel all Sunday afternoon...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3435662]Am I in NY? Barely...

You're correct, I don't "need" those extra sports packages...but I am severely addicted to the Red Zone Channel. I actually caught wood when they switched the Jets-Bengals game to 8:30pm because it meant I could watch the RZ channel all Sunday afternoon...[/QUOTE]

That's great that you don't need to pay the extra cash for the sports, I'm jealous. I did the same thing with the redzone channel, that's all I watched until the Jets game. Usually on Sundays I have the Jets game on the main screen, redzone channel on my other 50 and 2 other games on the 2 17's for full viewing pleasure. If I had the locals I would save so much money not having to pay for TV.
    Last edited by jetsnrangers; 01-05-2010 at 10:30 AM.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    If anyone has decided on satellite and does not need/want the Sunday Ticket, I would go with Dish Network. I have had both Dish and Direct (I have Direct now for football) and I found Dish to be superior, particularly for the DVR equipment and experience. JMHO.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Once you go Sunday Ticket Superfan you can never go back home again.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetboyjones;3435738]If anyone has decided on satellite and does not need/want the Sunday Ticket, I would go with Dish Network. I have had both Dish and Direct (I have Direct now for football) and I found Dish to be superior, particularly for the DVR equipment and experience. JMHO.[/QUOTE]

I thought I read somewhere that Directv is going to start using TiVo DVR's again (which are WAY better than the crap DVR's they have now).