Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Possible candidate for OC for Jets?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    2006: Pennington. Who were our RB's? Barlow & Blaylock? Give me a break. Cotchery was a 1st year starter and the Jets still went to the playoffs that season. Pennington was a dink and dunk type of QB, who couldn't stretch the Defense because of the lack of throwing power. Not only was Shotty Handcuffed as a 1st year OC, but he was also in a bad situation due to lack of overall talent on the Offensive side of the ball. Lets not forget, Ferguson and Mangold were both rookie starters the entire season.

2007: Clemens. Lets not even talk about 2007. Clarke/Montgomery as our starting LG's during 2007? Anthony Clement as our starting RT? Talk about a horrid O-Line. Pennington went down, Thomas Jones was rushing behind the worst O-Line in all of Football, Coles was banged up the entire season, Shotty Jr was not only in a bad situation, not only was Marty's boy handcuffed with lack of Offensive talent, but he had no chance with that 2007 Jets Offense...No chance in hell to win games.

2008: Favre. When Favre was healthy, the Jets were what, 8-3 right? Shotty Jr was still handcuffed in a way, thats because a veteran QB, a future HOF QB in Brett Favre, who's been in the league for just about 20 years...Was the man under center. Do you really think the Jets were in a situation to rush the rock 25-30 times per game? No way, not with #4 under center. The Jets had a great rushing attack, we ranked top 5 in average yards per carry, but our rushing attack was no where near the top 10 in rushing attempts, thats because Shotty Jr was not in a position to control the games with the run. Shotty Jr was also SCREWED by Favre in the long run, thats because Favre wanted it "His way or the highway" and blew the season on the Jets. Favre could have let Shotty Jr or Mangini know he was hurt and hurt pretty bad, but no...Favre wanted to keep his "Streak alive", even if it meant killing the season and playoff chances on the Jets. Do you all really believe that Favre cared about the Jets? Hell no. Favre was with the Jets, this way, he could "Stick it to the Packers" the following season.

2009: Mark Sanchez. Talented young rookie QB, but a raw rookie QB. A Rookie QB who only gained 1 season of starting experience with USC. The Jets are still in position to win 9 games, the Jets still have the #1 ranked rushing attack, and Marty's boy has once again...Been handcuffed by a rookie QB.

The fact of the matter is this...How about we allow Shotty Jr to have a chance to coach Mark Sanchez and the Jets next season, how about we give Sanchez more time to develope before running this man out of town?

Shotty Jr has been here for 4 seasons now... 10 W's, 9 W's and a chance to win 9 games again this season and lets not forget...Shotty Jr has YET to have back to back seasons, with the same QB under center, talk about bad situations. Neither has Jerricho Cotchery.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=greenwichjetfan;3429695][B]I've stated plenty of times[/B] that Schotty needs improving, but [B]I don't think he should be fired[/B]. I've also proclaimed my liking of Kubiak...I even wanted him for HC of this team (see hc threads last year).

All that being said, I'm ecstatic at what has transpired with Rex and our defense, and if we have a chance to land Kubiak for OC, we take it.

Continuity for Sanchez is one thing, but Schotty's going to go soon anyways, whether he's promoted elsewhere or eventually let go. May as well cut bait now and have Sanchez relearn right now instead of in the future. Kubiak will make him a star.[/QUOTE]
    What are you saying? Kubiak will have a [B]demonstrably better results [/B]than Schotty? All things considered, age of the team etc, not to mention the sad story of Alex Smith (4 OC's in 4 years) - this all MAY add up to keeping Schottenheimer. He will be a legitimate HC at some point, but with newbie coaches wavering a bit under playoff pressure, I feel sentiment may be going against Schott this year. However, that said, Buffalo is desperate. Who knows?

Anyway, like copernicus and others have stated, the status quo is very appealing when the choice of guys is topped by Gary Kubiak. BTW, the Jets have a zone-blocking, WCO-type coordinator that beat down Denver for several years. His name is Bill Callahan.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;3429928]So...Scott/Harris alone isn't a massive improvement over starting Bowens/Barton/injured Harris for 7+ games each?

Leonhard isn't almost infinitely better than Elam?

That's why I said massively improved. Where we upgraded was upgraded immensely. This roster didn't need a 60% overhaul.
    [/QUOTE]
    David Harris played a significant part of the 2008 season (He started in 11 games!). So just how "massive" is that FIVE GAMES difference between 2008 and 2009 again? Please bear in mind that "massive" is your choice of words, not mine. While Bart Scott has given the defense a lift and some memorale moments he has also disappeared for long stretches spanning several games at times. We got what we paid for...maybe. We paid NFL top dollar and got our 2nd best ILB.

The change in coaching is a far more reasonable conclusion to draw than the one you are coming to in a desperate defense of a multi year dog of a failure.

Again, Rex turned the entire world upside down by and large almost completely with the players he inherited from Eric Mangini. He did it in 6 months. Schottenehimer has not managed that trick in four years.

Leonard is a nice player but let's get real here. "Infinitely better"??? Give me a break already. Hyperbole much?

[quote]We were dinking and dunking with Favre? There were no medium/deep routes with both Keller (especially), Cotchery, and Stuckey? No medium and deep routes with Edwards this year? No screens with Leons over the past 4 years?

And how're we supposed to be unpredictable on first down with a rookie QB and the top rushing offense in the league? Then if we pass on first down it's not the correct pass to you people and there's b*tching anyway.

I don't know how you've tricked yourself into actually buying what is clearly made up because you're frustrated over[COLOR=red][B]...<more redacted drivel>...[/B][/COLOR]

You expected better than the 17th ranked offense this year? What did you expect? Did they go down when we lost Leon, or did you do what most here do and not even consider the injury? Is the Bengals OC an idiot since he also has a top running game but a middling offense and mediocre QB performance? Or is Carson Palmer just not playing like Carson Palmer?[/quote]
    **gong** I expected to see a Schottenehimer offense this year, so no, I did not expect to see much better than the crap we have been seeing.

The Jets lost Leon Washinton in game seven, basically a game short of half way through the entire season. Leon's numbers were significantly down from the year before. His touches were up but his impact plays were pretty much nonexistent and all his averages were down. He was on track for around 800-900 yards, so I do not know what fairy tale land you are living in but it is far from the real world if you are claiming that losing Leon from game-8 onward was the reason Schotty's offense sucked again this year..

As a matter of interest, when were we going to be seeing all of this Leon anyway given that you are offering his absence as such a huge factor for Shottenheimer's failures? Let me guess. I'll just bet that he was going to be turning on the after-burners starting in the 2nd half of the Raiders game eh? If not for the injury, Leon was ready to dominate.

Please bear in mind that Schottenheimer was gifted the best offensive line in the NFL or damn near it. He was bought two very high priced free agents (Faneca and Woody) and provided with two extremely good first round picks. He was gifted with a solid running back in Thomas Jones and veteran QB play for two of his four years. The offensive line has been remarkably healthy for the last three years. Next year will be his fifth year in complete charge of the offense and we haven't had a top-5 or a top-10 or even a top half of the NFL offensive unit yet. Next year will be half a decade. How long before any of this mediocrity sticks to one constant throughout the entire campaign?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DefenseWinsChampionships2;3430122]2006: Pennington. Who were our RB's? Barlow & Blaylock? Give me a break. Cotchery was a 1st year starter and the Jets still went to the playoffs that season. Pennington was a dink and dunk type of QB, who couldn't stretch the Defense because of the lack of throwing power. Not only was Shotty Handcuffed as a 1st year OC, but he was also in a bad situation due to lack of overall talent on the Offensive side of the ball. Lets not forget, Ferguson and Mangold were both rookie starters the entire season.

2007: Clemens. Lets not even talk about 2007. Clarke/Montgomery as our starting LG's during 2007? Anthony Clement as our starting RT? Talk about a horrid O-Line. Pennington went down, Thomas Jones was rushing behind the worst O-Line in all of Football, Coles was banged up the entire season, Shotty Jr was not only in a bad situation, not only was Marty's boy handcuffed with lack of Offensive talent, but he had no chance with that 2007 Jets Offense...No chance in hell to win games.

2008: Favre. When Favre was healthy, the Jets were what, 8-3 right? Shotty Jr was still handcuffed in a way, thats because a veteran QB, a future HOF QB in Brett Favre, who's been in the league for just about 20 years...Was the man under center. Do you really think the Jets were in a situation to rush the rock 25-30 times per game? No way, not with #4 under center. The Jets had a great rushing attack, we ranked top 5 in average yards per carry, but our rushing attack was no where near the top 10 in rushing attempts, thats because Shotty Jr was not in a position to control the games with the run. Shotty Jr was also SCREWED by Favre in the long run, thats because Favre wanted it "His way or the highway" and blew the season on the Jets. Favre could have let Shotty Jr or Mangini know he was hurt and hurt pretty bad, but no...Favre wanted to keep his "Streak alive", even if it meant killing the season and playoff chances on the Jets. Do you all really believe that Favre cared about the Jets? Hell no. Favre was with the Jets, this way, he could "Stick it to the Packers" the following season.

2009: Mark Sanchez. Talented young rookie QB, but a raw rookie QB. A Rookie QB who only gained 1 season of starting experience with USC. The Jets are still in position to win 9 games, the Jets still have the #1 ranked rushing attack, and Marty's boy has once again...Been handcuffed by a rookie QB.

The fact of the matter is this...How about we allow Shotty Jr to have a chance to coach Mark Sanchez and the Jets next season, how about we give Sanchez more time to develope before running this man out of town?

Shotty Jr has been here for 4 seasons now... 10 W's, 9 W's and a chance to win 9 games again this season and lets not forget...Shotty Jr has YET to have back to back seasons, with the same QB under center, talk about bad situations. Neither has Jerricho Cotchery.[/QUOTE]

as a guy who wouldnt be upset if schotty left ..very very fair post in defense of schotty jr...i think if he stays next year is a huge year for him and this offense..

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ryan10;3430146]as a guy who wouldnt be upset if schotty left ..very very fair post in defense of schotty jr...i think if he stays next year is a huge year for him and this offense..[/QUOTE]

Exactly. It could be huge for Jerricho Cotchery as well.

2006: Pennington. Limited QB, still won 10 games and made the playoffs.

2007: Lets not even talk about it.

2008: Bret Favre. Enough said. This man wanted it "His way or the highway". The Jets had one of the most explosive O's with Favre under center, Shotty Jr calling the plays...Until Favre got hurt. 1-4 finish and Shotty Jr took the blame for Favre refusing to let the coaching staff know he was hurt. Still won 9 games and almost made the playoffs.

2009: Rookie QB. Still lead the league in rushing yards. What happen to those Jet bashers that were saying... "No way the Jets could finish with a top 10 rushing attack with a rookie under center because teams would stack 8, 9, and sometimes even 10 men in the box" during the offseason? Where are those fans now? Something tells me...The same fans bashing Shotty Jr now, are the same fans that predicted this Jets Offense had NO CHANCE in hell to win games during the offseason.

With a W this Sunday Night...The Jets would have then made the playoffs 2 out of the first 4 years that Shotty Jr has been calling the plays. With a W tomorrow, it could have been 3 out of 4 years of making the playoffs with Marty's Boy calling the shows; but #4 was the QB that failed the Jets last season.

And fans are still trying to run the man out of town?

When was the last time Shotty Jr had the same starting QB two years in a row? Never.

Mark Sanchez has throw 20 INT's...12 of those INT's came in 3 games. Not only does SHotty Jr deserve another chance with Sanchez, but Sanchez NEEDS another season with the same OC/Playbook/Offense.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;3430133]What are you saying? Kubiak will have a [B]demonstrably better results [/B]than Schotty? [/QUOTE]

Yes I do.

[QUOTE][B]Anyway, like copernicus and others have stated, the status quo is very appealing when the choice of guys is topped by Gary Kubiak.[/B][/QUOTE]

This I don't understand. You've read through the thread so I'm not going to repost Kubiak's numbers and resume, but he is considerably better at gameplanning to opponents weaknesses and offensive production (on paper) than Schottenheimer is.

Add to that, the fact that Kubiak turned an incredibly talented, [U]great[/U] QB who couldn't get it done, into a hall of fame, all world, two time champion.

I'm taking Kubiak over anyone, and in all honesty it's a steal to land someone of his caliber as an OC. He's talented enough to stay Head Coach if someone gives him a shot.
    Last edited by greenwichjetfan; 01-02-2010 at 05:33 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]David Harris played a significant part of the 2008 season (He started in 11 games!). So just how "massive" is that FIVE GAMES difference between 2008 and 2009 again? Please bear in mind that "massive" is your choice of words, not mine. While Bart Scott has given the defense a lift and some memorale moments he has also disappeared for long stretches spanning several games at times. We got what we paid for...maybe. We paid NFL top dollar and got our 2nd best ILB.[/QUOTE]

Dude, the guy (Harris) had groin surgery in the middle of last season. Short memory? If you watched any of 2008 then you'd see how much less effective Harris looked last year.

[QUOTE]The change in coaching is a far more reasonable conclusion to draw than the one you are coming to in a desperate defense of a multi year dog of a failure.[/QUOTE]

Well yea, if you forget the Harris situation and ignore replacing our two worst starters on D. Not to mention another year on the young vets like Harris, Revis, and DeVito.

[QUOTE]Again, Rex turned the entire world upside down by and large almost completely with the players he inherited from Eric Mangini. He did it in 6 months. Schottenehimer has not managed that trick in four years.[/QUOTE]

Rookie QBs on Rexs D...oh, there are none. That's right, I forgot that. And our D wasn't exactly sh*tting the bed for most of last season.

[QUOTE]Leonard is a nice player but let's get real here. "Infinitely better"??? Give me a break already. Hyperbole much?[/QUOTE]

Fine. Worlds better than Elam. At least Leonhard can be half competent in pass coverage. As if hyperbole isn't a major part of your argument..."never run a screen" and "zomg 5 years is forever"...

[QUOTE]**gong** I expected to see a Schottenehimer offense this year, so no, I did not expect to see much better than the crap we have been seeing.[/QUOTE]

Yea, the crap that's leaving us with a chance to win 9 games and go to the playoffs with a rookie QB.

Mind you, this offense ranks similarly to the '06 one that had a veteran QB leading it.

[QUOTE]The Jets lost Leon Washinton in game seven, basically a game short of half way through the entire season. Leon's numbers were significantly down from the year before. His touches were up but his impact plays were pretty much nonexistent and all his averages were down. He was on track for around 800-900 yards, so I do not know what fairy tale land you are living in but it is far from the real world if you are claiming that losing Leon from game-8 onward was the reason Schotty's offense sucked again this year.. [/QUOTE]

Leon's #s were down? He was on pace for his most carries, his best rushing season, 30+ receptions for over 260 yards, and whatever he'd contribute on STs. That would have best statistical season, even if you choose to hold Leon's lack of TDs against Schottenheimer for whatever reason....and who knows how many he actually would have scored by the end of the season anyway.

Also, I'm really annoyed at how much these experts on JI ignore the STs aspect of Leon Washington. Those 800-900 yards (he was actually on pace to surpass 900 on offense, but w/e) don't include his returning numbers.

[QUOTE]As a matter of interest, when were we going to be seeing all of this Leon anyway given that you are offering his absence as such a huge factor for Shottenheimer's failures? Let me guess. I'll just bet that he was going to be turning on the after-burners starting in the 2nd half of the Raiders game eh? If not for the injury, Leon was ready to dominate.[/QUOTE]

Schottenheimer's failures? Dude we have the 17th best offense in the league with a rookie who's turned the ball 20+ times at the QB position. Again, we're doing better than the Bengals on offense and they have Carson friggin Palmer QB'ing them.

[QUOTE]Please bear in mind that Schottenheimer was gifted the best offensive line in the NFL or damn near it. He was bought two very high priced free agents (Faneca and Woody) and provided with two extremely good first round picks. He was gifted with a solid running back in Thomas Jones and veteran QB play for two of his four years. The offensive line has been remarkably healthy for the last three years. Next year will be his fifth year in complete charge of the offense and we haven't had a top-5 or a top-10 or even a top half of the NFL offensive unit yet. Next year will be half a decade. How long before any of this mediocrity sticks to one constant throughout the entire campaign?
    [/QUOTE]

OK...and with the top OL we've got the best running game in the league. WTF are you b*tching about?

And last year we ranked 9th in points scored...so there goes that part. I also don't get why you seem to think 5 years is such a long time.

BTW: Thanks for answering 0 of my questions. I realize the anti-Schotty crowd assumes their correctness and therefore assumes they don't have to answer to us idiots who think differently, but it would have helped you considering how much you seem to have forgotten or just chose to ignore. Where should an offense run by a rookie QB rank?
    Last edited by SenorGato; 01-02-2010 at 05:50 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Four years is more than a lifetime in this business and he has never produced anything resembling a top unit or a dominant unit in any of those four years. Rex Ryan did it with essentially the same group of guys that he inherited in less than six months. Immediate, significant and measurable difference in every performance category because a superior coach was brought in to do the job.

Immediate, significant and measurable differences. Three things which in four years we have not seen from your boy.

Every year there is an excuse for why it is not the fault of the guy in charge. One year it is the offensive line, then it is lack of talent at the running back position, then it is the noodle-armed QB who defenses are not scared to stack the box against, then it is the the new young QB (Clemens), then it is the new OLD QB who is learning a different system for the first time in 17 years, then it is the lack of a true number one receiver, then it is the next new young QB who is being thrown into the starting job as a rookie. Now it is losing a really good change of pace back who had been deballed and turned into so-so sometime starter by this lame OC.

When do the excuses end? Ever???

Every team has injuries and changes in personnel every single year. Duh.... Every team. Some coordinators manage to adapt and be successful with the talent they have on hand and some are below average every year. Never mind though, we could be doing this for another decade and I am sure his army of apologists will be dreaming up reasons why it is not Brian Shottenheimer's fault no matter what.

Whose fault is it next year? Sophomore QB?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    At the end of the day it is a pointless exercise to debate why someone was not successful in this business. They either were successful or they were not. There will always be injuries. There will always be free agrent defections or draft busts. There will always be balls bouncing the wrong way or unforseen bumps in the road.

What you need to do is look at how the coach handles those bad things happening. Is he successful despite the bad things that happen or is he not? For the people for whom excuses are acceptable, and there are quite a few on this thread, those excuse will always be there to be found.

After two years we had a pattern. After three and now four years it is more than a pattern. Schotty gets middle of the road (or worse) results with arguably much better than middle of the road talent. That should be enough. No need to look for this year's crop of reasons for "why not?". Four years later it is time to move on.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=EM31;3430372]Four years is more than a lifetime in this business and he has never produced anything resembling a top unit or a dominant unit in any of those four years. Rex Ryan did it with essentially the same group of guys that he inherited in less than six months. Immediate, significant and measurable difference in every performance category because a superior coach was brought in to do the job.

Immediate, significant and measurable differences. Three things which in four years we have not seen from your boy.

Every year there is an excuse for why it is not the fault of the guy in charge. One year it is the offensive line, then it is lack of talent at the running back position, then it is the noodle-armed QB who defenses are not scared to stack the box against, then it is the the new young QB (Clemens), then it is the new OLD QB who is learning a different system for the first time in 17 years, then it is the lack of a true number one receiver, then it is the next new young QB who is being thrown into the starting job as a rookie. Now it is losing a really good change of pace back who had been deballed and turned into so-so sometime starter by this lame OC.

When do the excuses end? Ever???

Every team has injuries and changes in personnel every single year. Duh.... Every team. Some coordinators manage to adapt and be successful with the talent they have on hand and some are below average every year. Never mind though, we could be doing this for another decade and I am sure his army of apologists will be dreaming up reasons why it is not Brian Shottenheimer's fault no matter what.

[B]Whose fault is it next year? Sophomore QB?[/B][/QUOTE]

We're going to have a better offense next year. I will actually guarantee that.

And no, 4 years is not more than a lifetime in this business. It's a lifetime in this town.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DefenseWinsChampionships2;3430122]2006: Pennington. Who were our RB's? Barlow & Blaylock? Give me a break. Cotchery was a 1st year starter and the Jets still went to the playoffs that season. Pennington was a dink and dunk type of QB, who couldn't stretch the Defense because of the lack of throwing power. Not only was Shotty Handcuffed as a 1st year OC, but he was also in a bad situation due to lack of overall talent on the Offensive side of the ball. Lets not forget, Ferguson and Mangold were both rookie starters the entire season.

Shotty Jr has been here for 4 seasons now... 10 W's, 9 W's and a chance to win 9 games again this season and lets not forget...Shotty Jr has YET to have back to back seasons, with the same QB under center, talk about bad situations. Neither has Jerricho Cotchery.[/QUOTE]

I don't often agree with the overly optomistic posts of DWC but this post is spot on 100%.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=EM31;3430382]
    After two years we had a pattern. After three and now four years it is more than a pattern. [/QUOTE]

The pattern has been 4 different QB's over the past 4 years. Shotty Jr has yet to have back to back seasons with the same QB under center. He deserves that shot next season with Mark Sanchez.

[QUOTE=EM31;3430382] Schotty gets middle of the road (or worse) results with arguably much better than middle of the road talent. That should be enough. No need to look for this year's crop of reasons for "why not?". Four years later it is time to move on. [/QUOTE]

Really? How many other teams have made the playoffs 3 of their last 4 years? With a W tomorrow night, Shotty would have then put the Jets into the playoffs 3 out of his 4 years as our OC...If not for #4 getting hurt with an 8-3 record, followed by not allowing the coaching staff to know he was hurt. Do not blame Shotty Jr for the Jets last season because the Jets were 8-3 with Shotty calling the plays, until Favre ruined our season.

You gotta be kidding me with this whole Shotty Jr has had "much better than middle of the road talent".

2006: Pennington was a limited QB because of previous injury's. Barlow and Blaylock were our "1-2 punch" at the RB position. Brick and Mangold were our two rookies @ LT and C. Jerricho Cotchery was only a 1st year starter. We had NO slot WR, thanks to Tim Dwight. The Jets still made the playoffs, with Shotty Jr calling the plays. How? Great play calling. Great play calling. Please, tell me...What type of "Talent" were you just talking about? Exactly.

2007: His 2nd QB in 2 years. Pennington got hurt, he was left with Kellen Clemens; a career backup and a JAG of a talent at the QB position. Adrian Clarke and Will Montgomery were our starting LG's that season. Anthony freaking Clement was our starting RT; the worst starting RT to ever play the game of Football at the NFL level. Coles was banged up the entire season. Thomas Jones couldn't BUY a freaking TD because of our pathetic O-Line and as we all know... Kelen Clemens was asked to lead the way with Justin McCareins as one of his go to options. Please, what type of talent did Shotty have to work with? Please...Let me know.

2008: The Jets were 8-3 and flying high. Schotty Jr had this Offense looking perfect. The Jets ranked top 5 in average yards per carry, Thomas Jones had a great season, Dustin Keller showed flashes of greatness, Favre was playing lights out and the Jets were sitting at 8-3. Favre got hurt, REFUSED to let the coaching staff know he was hurt, because he wanted to keep his "Streak alive", and the Jets ended up going 1-4 the rest of the way, because of #4 playing hurt. DO NOT even think about putting any type of blame on Shotty Jr for last season. We still went 9-7.

2009: Another QB...Once again...Nothing new. Rookie QB, #1 ranked rushing attack in the game today, Braylon Edwards never had an offseason of working with Sanchez and Shotty Jr and guess what? The Jets are only 1 W away from making the playoffs for the 2nd time in 4 years with Shotty Jr calling the plays.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is the most talented, and youngest, offense Schottenheimer has had to work with since he's been here.

OK...'06 was younger...but this one has more to look forward to going forward.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;3430404]This is the most talented, and youngest, offense Schottenheimer has had to work with since he's been here.

OK...'06 was younger...but this one has more to look forward to going forward.[/QUOTE]

Hell yeah. The Defense has the potential to become lights out over the next couple of seasons...But this offense, has the talent and potential to become EXPLOSIVE.

Mark Sanchez will no longer be a rookie next season. After only 1 year of college starting experience, he'll now at least have 1 full season of NFL and maybe even playoff experience heading into next season. Thats huge.

Give Marty's Boy another offseason with players such as Mark Sanchez, Braylon Edwards, Jerricho Cotchery, Dustin Keller, Leon Washington, Shonn Greene and Brad Smith, This Offense, with Shotty Jr calling the plays, can become explosive next season.

If we draft a slot WR such as Jordan Shipley, Dexter McCluster or Golden Tate; watch out.

Other than NFL starting experience @ the QB position, the slot WR position is the only aspect of this Jets Offense that needs an upgrade.

QB: Sanchez

RB: Jones
    RB: Greene
    RB: Leon

TE: Keller.

WR: Edwards
    WR: Cotchery
    WR: Tate / Shipley / McCluster

Jack of all trades: Brad Smith and Leon Washington. Two explosive players, two X-Factors.

That could be something special. If anything, for the fans that wish to run Shotty Jr out of town...At least give this man next year, 2010 will be the first time in his 5 years as an OC, that he's had the same QB in back to back seasons. You all wanna run him out of town? Fine. But he deserves another season, with Mark Sanchez, before you all try and do so.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=greenwichjetfan;3430177]Yes I do.

This I don't understand. You've read through the thread so I'm not going to repost Kubiak's numbers and resume, but he is considerably better at gameplanning to opponents weaknesses and offensive production (on paper) than Schottenheimer is.

Add to that, the fact that Kubiak turned an incredibly talented, [U]great[/U] QB who couldn't get it done, into a hall of fame, all world, two time champion.

I'm taking Kubiak over anyone, and in all honesty it's a steal to land someone of his caliber as an OC. He's talented enough to stay Head Coach if someone gives him a shot.[/QUOTE]
    Your opinion of him is unreasonably high; Kubiak was never a starter, and never had a winning season as a Head Coach. Terrell Davis was the reason Elway got a ring, in my (and other's) opinion.

Kubiak should get minimal props for Steve Young, as Young was lights out since becoming the starter in 1991 (Montana's elbow). The Niners played Dallas in back to backto back NFCCG's, winning in only in 1994. The reason for the drop off in 1995? The OC was Marc Trestman.

I think the Kubiak bio posted by TJ is loaded with hype.
    Last edited by WestCoastOffensive; 01-03-2010 at 12:35 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Chupa;3429430]can we finish the ****ing season?[/QUOTE]

lmao i second that..... :yes:

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone know about Brian Billick's status? He would be a great candidate for the OC - and a definite upgrade from Shotty. Billick has long been considered an offensive guru - and a few years ago when he was still with the Ravens I think he started calling the offensive plays after he fired Jim Fassel and there was a significant improvement in the offense.

It's just a thought, but I would love to bring him aboard. Thoughts?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=K-JenkinsEatsChildren;3430569]Anyone know about Brian Billick's status? He would be a great candidate for the OC - and a definite upgrade from Shotty. Billick has long been considered an offensive guru - and a few years ago when he was still with the Ravens I think he started calling the offensive plays after he fired Jim Fassel and there was a significant improvement in the offense.

It's just a thought, but I would love to bring him aboard. Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

First off, your username scares me. ;)

Secondly, I brought that up previously and was ridiculed for thinking that Billick would take the OC job under his former DC. :rolleyes: Personally, I love the move and think it makes sense.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DefenseWinsChampionships2;3430399]

Really? How many other teams have made the playoffs 3 of their last 4 years? [B]With a W tomorrow night, Shotty would have then put the Jets into the playoffs 3 out of his 4 years as our OC...[/B]If not for #4 getting hurt with an 8-3 record, followed by not allowing the coaching staff to know he was hurt. Do not blame Shotty Jr for the Jets last season because the Jets were 8-3 with Shotty calling the plays, until Favre ruined our season.

You gotta be kidding me with this whole Shotty Jr has had "much better than middle of the road talent".

[/QUOTE]

Really? With a win tomorrow Schotty will have led us to the playoffs 3 out of 4 years? 1st off he isnt the HC so he hasnt led the team to anything, 2nd the last time the Jets made the post season was in 2006 so schotty has "led" this team to the play offs only once back in his 1st year as the OC

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Pavilion;3430621]Really? With a win tomorrow Schotty will have led us to the playoffs 3 out of 4 years? 1st off he isnt the HC so he hasnt led the team to anything, 2nd the last time the Jets made the post season was in 2006 so schotty has "led" this team to the play offs only once back in his 1st year as the OC[/QUOTE]

Nah... that is just DWC2 doublespeak... he was saying that with a win tomorrow that would 3 out of 4 [B]IF NOT FOR[/B] <insert excuse here>....

If we win tomorrow and if it wasn't for the seven losses we have in the books then we would be 16-0 under roiokie head coach Rex Ryan with rookie QB Mark Sanchez under center for the New York Jets here in 2009.....

Parsing through some posts is like sifting through a trough of infected pigsh1t with your bare hands. Generally unpleasant, definitely nauseating and stinky.