Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Possible candidate for OC for Jets?

[QUOTE=RageATL;3429600]In all seriousness, I remember him being a candidate a few years back when we dinked/dunked our way into the playoffs but nothing recently...when and with what team are you talking about?[/QUOTE]

He was the second runner up to Rex. 3rd choice behind Cowher probably.

To guess I'd throw out the idea that the Broncos liked him but preferred the more proven McDaniels...the Ravens probably considered him when they chose Harbaugh...iunno...The Dolphins supposedly went after him in '07...

Dude's got a decent resume, but I hope he stays around and pads it a little here while we build a top offense. We're not even that far off from having a solid offense once Sanchez gets more games, especially with Leon back...or someone Leon-esque w/e.

what exactly has sch#tty done to even think he deserves a hc job? heck david shula was well regarded when he moved from receivers coach to hc for the bungles. the only qualification i could see is that he worked cheap. those teams were terrible. same thing with sch#tty. the jets are his only body of significant work as an nfl coach and he really hasn't done so well. the offense has been pretty anemic for the past 4 seasons. blame all you want on the qb carousel but each one of those qb's performed better, save clemens and sanchez, in a different system. and speaking of clemens, could it be that sch#tty is just a terrible coach and clemens just doesn't understand what sch#tty is trying to do? it's a two way street.

[QUOTE=sameoldjets;3429651]what exactly has sch#tty done to even think he deserves a hc job? heck david shula was well regarded when he moved from receivers coach to hc for the bungles. the only qualification i could see is that he worked cheap. those teams were terrible. same thing with sch#tty. the jets are his only body of significant work as an nfl coach and he really hasn't done so well. the offense has been pretty anemic for the past 4 seasons. blame all you want on the qb carousel but each one of those qb's performed better, save clemens and sanchez, in a different system. and speaking of clemens, could it be that sch#tty is just a terrible coach and clemens just doesn't understand what sch#tty is trying to do? it's a two way street.[/QUOTE]

You bring up some interesting points SOJ. Hard to tell who is at fault for the qb position at times...........

Veteran
    North Shore of Long Island. East Setauket
    lets just see what goes down tomorrow and well go from there...i think schotty is good as gone but well see...so pumped for the game...

I've stated plenty of times that Schotty needs improving, but I don't think he should be fired. I've also proclaimed my liking of Kubiak...I even wanted him for HC of this team (see hc threads last year).

All that being said, I'm ecstatic at what has transpired with Rex and our defense, and if we have a chance to land Kubiak for OC, we take it.

Continuity for Sanchez is one thing, but Schotty's going to go soon anyways, whether he's promoted elsewhere or eventually let go. May as well cut bait now and have Sanchez relearn right now instead of in the future. Kubiak will make him a star.

[QUOTE=copernicus;3429567]Sg3, I am curious, with all the negativity towards Schotty what make you believe that he "fullly deserves" to he a head coach in the NFL? Thanks[/QUOTE]

'Cuz sg3 [B]IS[/B] Brian Schottenheimer :yes::D

Hall Of Fame
    Four years is a tremendously long time in the NFL. Schotty has has far longer than almost anyone else I can remember to develop a top half offense let alone top 10 or top 5. Why is there even a question at this point?

Rex had essentially the same talent on defense as last year and he has turned them from a middle of the pack unit into one of the best in the NFL in a single season. Schotty has had FOUR EFFING YEARS and we are still garbage!!!

If he had a different last name he would have been toast a long time ago. If he had a different last name he would never have gotten the job in the first place.

if the Jets make the playoffs there's no way they fire their OC.

[QUOTE=EM31;3429770]Four years is a tremendously long time in the NFL. Schotty has has far longer than almost anyone else I can remember to develop a top half offense let alone top 10 or top 5. Why is there even a question at this point?

Rex had essentially the same talent on defense as last year and he has turned them from a middle of the pack unit into one of the best in the NFL in a single season. Schotty has had FOUR EFFING YEARS and we are still garbage!!!

If he had a different last name he would have been toast a long time ago. If he had a different last name he would never have gotten the job in the first place.[/QUOTE]

1 - Our D this year is massively improved personnel wise. Harris wasn't healthy at all in '08, Scott replaces Barton, Leonhard replaces Elam. Not only that, but last years D was in the top 10 in every category until the last 5 games. The big difference is pass D.

2 - I could understand 4 years with the same QB....but 4 years with 4 different QBs is enough time to build the Super Unit we so deserve to have? Seriously? He should have just magicked Sanchez into a great rookie QB like any truly great OC could and would do?

3 - If he had a different last name he'd still be a good OC getting crap from whiny fans. Just he'd have a different last name...:yes:
    Last edited by SenorGato; 01-02-2010 at 11:30 AM.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I really don’t hate Schotty. I think every time a “questionable play call” goes awry, people will curse at the TV, but if it works, then the call was genius. I also feel that there were too many “head scratchers” in Schotty’s career. If you read Jason’s analysis of Brian’s career as OC of the Jets, you would have to say a change might be in order.

I understand the need for continuity in the offensive system, but Sanchez has only one year here and I think we could make the changes gradually. Gary Kubiak would be in favor of letting Callahan keep the zone blocking that is working so well and quite frankly, we need Bill to stay where he is or our running game will suffer.

Gary Kubiak’s resume speaks for itself and if he somehow became available and didn’t get more head coaching considerations, I think we would be lucky to land him.

[SIZE="4"][B][SIZE="2"]Playing career[/SIZE][/B][/SIZE]

[B]High school[/B]

Kubiak passed for a then state-record 6,190 yards as a quarterback for St. Pius X High School of Houston, Texas where he was given the nickname "Koob." Twice named to the all-state football, basketball, baseball and track teams, he was inducted into the Texas High School Football Hall of Fame in 1999.[1]

[B]College[/B]

Kubiak attended Texas A&M University under coaches Tom Wilson and Jackie Sherrill and was selected to the All-Southwest Conference team in 1982 after leading the conference in passing yards (1,948) and touchdowns (19). As a junior, he set a conference record by throwing six touchdown passes against Rice.

[B]NFL[/B]
    Kubiak was selected in the eighth round of the 1983 NFL Draft by the Denver Broncos, the same year quarterback John Elway was drafted No. 1 overall by the Baltimore Colts before forcing a trade to Denver. Kubiak played his entire career for the Broncos as a backup for Elway, a Hall of Famer.[2] In nine seasons, Kubiak went 3-2 as a starter, throwing for 14 touchdowns, 16 interceptions and 1,920 yards while part of three AFC championship teams.[3]
    The website Football Outsiders named their player projection system after Kubiak because of his statistically mediocre career, in homage to Baseball Prospectus's PECOTA system
    [SIZE="4"][B][SIZE="2"]Coaching career[/SIZE][/B][/SIZE]

[B]College[/B]
    Kubiak began his coaching career at Texas A&M,[4] his alma mater, serving as the running backs coach for two seasons (1992–1993). He worked extensively with All-American running back Greg Hill, who was selected by the Kansas City Chiefs in the first round of the 1994 draft.

[B]NFL[/B]
    Assistant coach
    He served as the quarterbacks coach for the San Francisco 49ers in 1994,[5] guiding Hall of Fame quarterback Steve Young to one of his best seasons. Young received his second NFL MVP and captured Super Bowl XXIX MVP honors by throwing a record six touchdowns in San Francisco’s 49–26 win over the San Diego Chargers.

Kubiak returned to the Broncos the following season when Mike Shanahan, who was previously the 49ers offensive coordinator, became Denver's head coach.[6] In 11 seasons (1995-2005) as the team's offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, Kubiak helped lead Denver to two Super Bowl titles.
    In his 11 seasons with the team, the Broncos amassed 66,501 total yards and 465 touchdowns, the most in the NFL during that span. He coached 14 different Broncos that made the Pro Bowl, including running back Terrell Davis, who was named the NFL MVP in 1998.

Banned
    Keep the same playbook and promote Callahan. Let Snotty go to Buffalo and make a fool out of himself like Mangini in Cleveland.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;3429790]1 - Our D this year is massively improved personnel wise. Harris wasn't healthy at all in '08, Scott replaces Barton, Leonhard replaces Elam. Not only that, but last years D was in the top 10 in every category until the last 5 games. The big difference is pass D.

2 - I could understand 4 years with the same QB....but 4 years with 4 different QBs is enough time to build the Super Unit we so deserve to have? Seriously? He should have just magicked Sanchez into a great rookie QB like any truly great OC could and would do?

3 - If he had a different last name he'd still be a good OC getting crap from whiny fans. Just he'd have a different last name...:yes:[/QUOTE]
    If you think change in the NFL is two players then you are sorely mistaken. Parcells routinely turns over 60%+ of an entire roster within two years of taking over a team. Sorry but two players do not constitute a "massive" change at all. That is just silly.

The pattern has been the same for four years with four different QBs. Dink and Dunk offense. Bizaare trick plays called at the strangest times. Almost no screens. Almost no medium to deep routes. The most predictable first down offense in the entire NFL. I do not know how many times you need to see the pattern repeat until you twig that the part that is not changing is the part that is causing the repetition of outcomes. The only time we had any success was when Favre was ad-libbing at the LOS.

BeeEss would never have been given the first gig unless he got it from his dad. Certainly after four years of lower-than-average NFL offense would be enough to get ANYONE else fired. The last name is the only reason he is still employed.

And that is no BeeEss :yes:

[QUOTE]If you think change in the NFL is two players then you are sorely mistaken. [/QUOTE]

So...Scott/Harris alone isn't a massive improvement over starting Bowens/Barton/injured Harris for 7+ games each?

Leonhard isn't almost infinitely better than Elam?

[QUOTE]Parcells routinely turns over 60%+ of an entire roster within two years of taking over a team. Sorry but two players do not constitute a "massive" change at all. That is just silly.[/QUOTE]

That's why I said massively improved. Where we upgraded was upgraded immensely. This roster didn't need a 60% overhaul.

[QUOTE]The pattern has been the same for four years with four different QBs. Dink and Dunk offense. Bizaare trick plays called at the strangest times. Almost no screens. Almost no medium to deep routes. The most predictable first down offense in the entire NFL. I do not know how many times you need to see the pattern repeat until you twig that the part that is not changing is the part that is causing the repetition of outcomes. The only time we had any success was when Favre was ad-libbing at the LOS.[/QUOTE]

We were dinking and dunking with Favre? There were no medium/deep routes with both Keller (especially), Cotchery, and Stuckey? No medium and deep routes with Edwards this year? No screens with Leons over the past 4 years?

And how're we supposed to be unpredictable on first down with a rookie QB and the top rushing offense in the league? Then if we pass on first down it's not the correct pass to you people and there's b*tching anyway.

I don't know how you've tricked yourself into actually buying what is clearly made up because you're frustrated over...something...but it must suck.

[QUOTE]BeeEss would never have been given the first gig unless he got it from his dad. Certainly after four years of lower-than-average NFL offense would be enough to get ANYONE else fired. The last name is the only reason he is still employed.[/QUOTE]

The guy had 5 different stints with the NFL and THE big time college program (USC) before going to work for his dad in SD. I'm shocked to see another completely made up "fact" about Schottenheimer thrown out here.

[QUOTE]And that is no BeeEss :yes:[/QUOTE]

So, you actually think you're not making most of this up? Is it because alot of people will agree with you here because they also have a blind and unnatural hate for this guy?

Answer me these:

You expected better than the 17th ranked offense this year? What did you expect? Did they go down when we lost Leon, or did you do what most here do and not even consider the injury? Is the Bengals OC an idiot since he also has a top running game but a middling offense and mediocre QB performance? Or is Carson Palmer just not playing like Carson Palmer?
    Last edited by SenorGato; 01-02-2010 at 01:05 PM.

[QUOTE=bitonti;3429772]if the Jets make the playoffs there's no way they fire their OC.[/QUOTE]

But he also might leave on his own and take another opportunity. Who knows if he is happy here with Rex leaning over his shoulder during meetings and such whispering "ground and pound".

I'd like to have him back but Shotty himself might have other plans.

[QUOTE=MDL_JET;3429935]But he also might leave on his own and take another opportunity. [B]Who knows if he is happy here with Rex leaning over his shoulder during meetings and such whispering "ground and pound". [/B]

I'd like to have him back but Shotty himself might have other plans.[/QUOTE]

Personally, I think he likes it here and I think he likes having a guy like Sanchez to groom.

I also think Rex's involvement with this offense is way overstated, and that we run the ball so much because it's what we do well. It's not because Rexgenius came up with the idea.

[QUOTE=VincenzoTestaverde;3429830]Keep the same playbook and promote Callahan. Let Snotty go to Buffalo and make a fool out of himself like Mangini in Cleveland.[/QUOTE]

Mangini, if given time by Holmgren, will be making a fool out of Jets fans.

Kubiak>any other OC possibilities, including Schotty.

[QUOTE=greenwichjetfan;3429951][B]Mangini, if given time by Holmgren, will be making a fool out of Jets fans.[/B]

Kubiak>any other OC possibilities, including Schotty.[/QUOTE]

That's extremely hard to due. Our best OC candidates and at least a HC or two in the future are probably on this board.

[QUOTE=SenorGato;3429943]Personally, I think he likes it here and I think he likes having a guy like Sanchez to groom.

I also think Rex's involvement with this offense is way overstated, and that we run the ball so much because it's what we do well. It's not because Rexgenius came up with the idea.[/QUOTE]

Have you read Jason's analysis of Schotty's offense. I am not that reactionary of a fan, but after reading that I lean more towards letting Schotty go. Give it a read if you haven't already, it's fairly neutral and even keeled (Jason tends to be in general), I think you'll enjoy it.

[QUOTE=TJ;3429417]This is who I'd love to be our new OC. A great offensive mind and the guy who could develop Mark. If he becomes available and doesn't get another HC gig...

[URL="http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6794496.html"]http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6794496.html[/URL]

Withholding judgment
    Owner Bob McNair, attending practice Thursday before going over to the Texas Bowl, wasn't yet ready to confirm that Gary Kubiak will return as the Texans' coach for a fifth season in 2010.

“What I have said is I think he's done a very good job,” McNair answered in response to a direct question about Kubiak's future. “We'll sit down to have our review at the end of the year and make our plans for the coming year. ”

Asked what he was saying to Kubiak this week as the 8-7 Texans, still in contention for a playoff spot, prepare for the Patriots, McNair replied: “Nothing other than what he's saying to the team and that this (game) is very important to us. Everybody is excited, and it's wonderful that we're still in the hunt. ”

McNair also shared a story with the media.

“I dreamed last week that we'd put it on the Dolphins pretty good, 42-12 or 42-7 or something like that,” he said. “I didn't tell anybody except (general manager) Rick (Smith) before the game. But this week I've been waiting — desperately — and I haven't had any dreams yet, so somebody suggested I should go home and go to bed.”

The Texans jumped to a 27-0 lead over Miami on Sunday before holding on 27-20.[/QUOTE]

alot of offensive talent there plus houston has been known for 2nd half collapses and failure in the redzone i believe..

Banned
    [QUOTE=greenwichjetfan;3429951]Mangini, if given time by Holmgren, will be making a fool out of Jets fans.

Kubiak>any other OC possibilities, including Schotty.[/QUOTE]

Maybe Mangini will give us Shaun Rogers in exchange for Gholston - right after he turns Anthony Schlegel and Jacob Bender into all pros by giving them homework in the off-season.

I'm reluctant to change the playbook completely in Sanchez's second year as a pro. Tennesee almost ruined Vince Young by doing the same thing. Just stay in house and hope Callahan is an upgrade over Schitty which he probably is.