Thread: Bowl Season Mock

Bowl Season Mock

FA: Chad Pennington QB, Richard Marshall CB, Matt Spaeth TE. Not too many big acquisitions, we replace Sheppard with Marshall, and get a good blocking TE. Extensions go to Mangold/Harris/Edwards and we resign all of our role players.

Draft:

1) Cameron Heyward DE OSU. Perfect 3-4 DE, we need to restock the lines and this would do it.

2) Chad Jones S LSU. He looked great today and has been good all season. Jones gives the Jets a physical presence next to Rhodes and while I like Leohnard, he would be an upgrade.

4) Sergio Render OG Virginia. Eventual replacement for Faneca, would be a nice mid round pickup.

6) Cameron Sheffield OLB Troy. Solid late round OLB for depth.

7) Al Woods DT LSU. Depth for our DL.

We don't get a big pass rusher, but it restocks our DL and adds a big hitter to our secondary. We get much needed depth in the later rounds.

Really like it but is Heyward even declaring i think i read somewhere that he wasnt. Chad Jones wont be their at our 2nd pick hes a late 1st/early 2nd but i love him as a prospect.

I'm weary of drafting OSU players so high.

[QUOTE=DirtySanchez7;3429467]Really like it but is Heyward even declaring i think i read somewhere that he wasnt. Chad Jones wont be their at our 2nd pick hes a late 1st/early 2nd but i love him as a prospect.[/QUOTE]

I think Heyward will declare when he gets his first round grade.

Chad Jones (and a bunch of other safeties) will slip because of the depth in this draft. Teams that really need Safeties will go Berry/Mays/R Jones/Allen before Chad. I think he's there when we pick.

To the other guy: Nick Mangold. You evaluate people on an individual basis.

I was weary about taking Mangold, too. That just ended up working out. I don't know, players from OSU seem to have high bust rates and I don't think this team can afford another first round blunder. We need to go as safe as possible (I know the draft is a crap-shoot, but some players are safer than others) in the first this year.

[QUOTE=WeeZiTe;3429477]I was weary about taking Mangold, too. That just ended up working out. I don't know, players from OSU seem to have high bust rates and I don't think this team can afford another first round blunder. We need to go as safe as possible (I know the draft is a crap-shoot, but some players are safer than others) in the first this year.[/QUOTE]

I don't agree with that at all.

This is the year where we can go BPA. There's no immediate need. If Heyward is on the board, we should take him. There's no need for a QB/RB/WR/LT this year, the Jets can just get the best defensive player on the board (except ILB) this year.

Say what you will about OSU, but Heyward has a lot of talent and if you watched him play this year, it's hard not to like him.

[QUOTE=WeeZiTe;3429477]I was weary about taking Mangold, too. That just ended up working out. I don't know, players from OSU seem to have high bust rates and I don't think this team can afford another first round blunder. We need to go as safe as possible (I know the draft is a crap-shoot, but some players are safer than others) in the first this year.[/QUOTE]

Larunitis has worked out well so far, Gonzalez has played really well for the colts. Malcolm Jenkins and Beanie Wells have both played very well for their respective teams. Though they go a little further back Santonio Holmes and AJ Hawk have both been pretty good.

[QUOTE=WeeZiTe;3429472]I'm weary of drafting OSU players so high.[/QUOTE]

+1

Not a fan of OSU guys, and I think Heyward is slightly overrated.

Heyward has all the intangables to be a 5tech DE at 6-5 290 and i watched the rose bowl last night and he was a beast blowing every play up in the backfield. Hes one of my favorite prospect but i am and LSU fan and i'm not sure if Chad Jones will declare and will be around for our second round pick. The real gem in the LSU defense is Patrick Peterson and i hope Tanny does some work to get him next year.

[QUOTE=SenorGato;3429541] I think Heyward is slightly overrated.[/QUOTE]

if anything he's underrated - just wait until he works out. the guy is the real deal.

[QUOTE=bitonti;3429777]if anything he's underrated - just wait until he works out. the guy is the real deal.[/QUOTE]

It'd be tough for him to be underrated. Everyone on the message boards says he's a top 20 pick.

I'd pick him in the top 20 because I like him more than most OSU guys, but his size is merely average (at best) for a 3-4 DE.

I still don't consider him a guy who blows my mind with his physical tools. He's a good football player with good but not great perfect size. It'd work, of course it'd work, but I'm too into prototypes sometimes.