Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Espn:NFL will ask the competition committee to review integrity of the game

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Two weeks ago when the Giants thought they had a good chance @ the playoffs ( before the panthers destroyed them) the talk was about the vikes not needing the game and resting all players. This is OK for all other teams except the Jets. Been going on for years.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    They want integrity, how about monitoring a lot of the **** calls the referees have made this season. The refs should be fined for making a wrong call that changes the game, just like players are fined for infractions.

How about drug testing?

How about handling players and coaches who break the law in a harsher manner? Hello....Tom Cable?

There are a million others. Resting players is the right of the team. They're going to dictate who starts and who doesn't now?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;3430261]the first three steps they can take if they are so worried about integrity in the league

1) Admit that Walt Coleman threw a playoff game in 2002 and fire him

2) Forfeit the THREE tainted Lombardis won through filthy cheating

3) Ban Belicheat from football for life

then they can start dealing with smaller issues like teams resting[/QUOTE]

LOL

I consider the over-protection of nancy QB's like Tom Brady to also be a matter of integrity of the game.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=2009fatman;3430238]Not according to Don Shula who was on the competition committee. He flooded the Orange Bowl for a Championship Game.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

That's the first thing I think of when I see his rotten wrinkly liver spotted face. That crooked bastid got what he deserved when Riggins ran for that 50 yard TD in the Super Bowl, I was a big Redskin fan that day.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ray Ray19;3430502]LOL

I[B] consider the over-protection of nancy QB's like Tom Brady to also be a matter of integrity of the game.[/B][/QUOTE]

This is one area where it is evident that he gets extra protection by the referees, whereas other QBs get destroyed and are not treated with kid gloves like Brady (and a few other QBs).

Excellent point.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    they really can't expect all that much from the officials. The NFL is a multi billion dollar sports league that has chosen to use amateur officials doing football as part time work for relatively small per diem payments.

A bunch of them are as old as I am and haven't seen an optometrist in years. They spend little or no time studying the rules since they have those full time jobs to hold down to feed their families.

The reason, of course for not having professional officials is clear -- no danger of an NFL Officials Union to have to deal with (see MLB and NBA for recent labor problems) and these part timers work cheap, get no benefits and quite often get the calls correct, somehow.

However, when they really blow one, like Walt Coleman reversing the most obvious fumble in NFL history or Phil Duckett ruling Vinny's helmet was the ball and crossed the plane for a touchdown, they really blow one and get coaches fired and inexcusable results.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;3430516]they really can't expect all that much from the officials. The NFL is a multi billion dollar sports league that has chosen to use amateur officials doing football as part time work for relatively small per diem payments.

A bunch of them are as old as I am and haven't seen an optometrist in years. They spend little or no time studying the rules since they have those full time jobs to hold down to feed their families.

The reason, of course for not having professional officials is clear -- no danger of an NFL Officials Union to have to deal with (see MLB and NBA for recent labor problems) and these part timers work cheap, get no benefits and quite often get the calls correct, somehow.

However, when they really blow one, like Walt Coleman reversing the most obvious fumble in NFL history or Phil Duckett ruling Vinny's helmet was the ball and crossed the plane for a touchdown, they really blow one and get coaches fired and inexcusable results.[/QUOTE]

Referees make between 25K - 75K per season according to these websites:

[URL="http://www.job-employment-guide.com/nfl-referee-salary.html"]http://www.job-employment-guide.com/nfl-referee-salary.html[/URL]

[URL="http://www.askmen.com/sports/business_60/77b_sports_business.html"]http://www.askmen.com/sports/business_60/77b_sports_business.html[/URL]

They're also only supposed to work only once a week (so a Thursday night ref can't ref in the next Monday night game)

That's up to about 4300$ per game.

Not bad for 3 hours a week. Yes, they can be held to a higher standard.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=VinnieTheLush;3430180]Sorry, but there is nothing the NFL can do about this. IF teams want to rest people, they will. They earn that right. I tell you one thing the NFL should not do, that's expand the schedule to 18 games, you might see even more of this down the stretch.[/QUOTE]

+10000 add to that the players wanting more of their salary guaranteed up front....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe some of these teams should not have lost as many games as they did or maybe some teams should have actually beat the Colts so they would not be 2 games ahead of everyone else in Week 14.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is a tough rule to enforce. You cant keep a team from deciding who and who not to play. The Broncos are in a must win and benching their best WR. Changes to rules would force the team to play him. As long as its known in advance (and everyone under the sun knew Manning was not playing the full game) there really is no harm in it. This year people are up in arms because the Colts were undefeated and Steeler nation is all up in arms that this was done to hurt them.

The only think the NFL could do to curtail it is put some type of limits on playoff ticket prices if team were to do such a thing at home. When teams make you pay top dollar for preseason games and then jack up prices if they host a playoff game, I can understand being upset that you basically get a third preseason game at the end of the year that you are paying full price for. This will only be worse if the league does go to the 18 game schedule they want to go to.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wait until these assh*les get their 18 game season and the last 3-4 games are like this. Not to mention the extra injuries.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's the same thing I say when bad calls affect the outcome of a game. Do your part to make sure this can't happen to you in the first place. If the Steelers or Broncos had just won some games they should have won earlier, they would already be in. If you are going to play with fire, then you might get burned once in a while. Pretty much the only sympathy I have is for a team like the 2008 Patriots. They got screwed missing the playoffs with 11 wins. A 10-6 team missing the playoffs? It's not common, but it happens enough to know that you can't rely on 10 wins getting you in. A 9-7 team missing the playoffs? Most of them do. The bottom line is: The Jets may get lucky, but teams like the Steelers and Broncos did themselves no favors by getting stuck in this situation to begin with.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Resting players before the playoffs often carries its own penalty.

Despite the Colts' stellar record this past decade, their only Super Bowl win came when they played straight through. Out of last year's four "bye" teams, only one - Pittsburgh - made it to the Super Bowl.

The NFL season is a horse race. It all comes down to the stretch run. It you let up too soon, another horse is going to run by you.
    Last edited by BlackBear83; 01-03-2010 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Juxtaposed two words. Fixed.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    This whole thing is a knee jerk reaction, requested by some jackass (or jackasses) who aren't happy that the Jets won and are in position to go to the playoffs.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=VinnieTheLush;3430180]Sorry, but there is nothing the NFL can do about this. IF teams want to rest people, they will. They earn that right. I tell you one thing the NFL should not do, that's expand the schedule to 18 games, you might see even more of this down the stretch.[/QUOTE]

You are right on both counts. I don't see how they could possibly regulate this.

You're second point is a good one that I hadn't considered and I think you're right. Expanding the schedule will make this situation worse.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=John_0515;3430533]Referees make between 25K - 75K per season according to these websites:

[URL="http://www.job-employment-guide.com/nfl-referee-salary.html"]http://www.job-employment-guide.com/nfl-referee-salary.html[/URL]

[URL="http://www.askmen.com/sports/business_60/77b_sports_business.html"]http://www.askmen.com/sports/business_60/77b_sports_business.html[/URL]

They're also only supposed to work only once a week (so a Thursday night ref can't ref in the next Monday night game)

That's up to about 4300$ per game.

Not bad for 3 hours a week. Yes, they can be held to a higher standard.[/QUOTE]

I have a very close family friend who is a retired NFL referee. And is now a booth replay official in a major college conference.

I know for a fact that while this was just a "part-time" job for him (he's a lawyer like many other officials) this was his true passion and he spent an inordinate amount of time studying the game and the rules, always trying to improve.

It's just such a difficult, thankless job and any mistakes made will be remembered before the calls that he got right. He says just about everything should be reviewable... we have the technology, use it.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now imagine the backlash if the Jets make the playoffs and go on an improbable SB run.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Integrity of the game.....

That investigation MUST include a review of the entire PATS* organization.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TheMikeIsHot;3430808]I have a very close family friend who is a retired NFL referee. And is now a booth replay official in a major college conference.

I know for a fact that while this was just a "part-time" job for him (he's a lawyer like many other officials) this was his true passion and he spent an inordinate amount of time studying the game and the rules, always trying to improve.

It's just such a difficult, thankless job and any mistakes made will be remembered before the calls that he got right. He says just about everything should be reviewable... we have the technology, use it.[/QUOTE]

I just can't stand it when there's a call that you could make at home, and the refs get it wrong. Following the rule book is fine, I get it, but sometimes it seems as if they're completely wrong in their decisions. I don't know what it is, but they should be fined if after the games they agree that the call that was made was wrong, as has happened in many games.

Remember the coin toss with Pittsburgh all those years ago that the refs got wrong? They should have been fined for that.

A bunch of calls, for all teams. They need to be held accountable, not given absolute power without recourse.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Somehow I doubt the league will ever interfere in who gets to rest ... they want the big guns like Manning & Favre to be healthy for the playoffs more than anyone else. Imagine what the reaction would be to a Curtis Painter vs Tarvaris Jackson Superbowl? ;)