Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did you get an awesome new HDTV? It may be obsolete

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Did you get an awesome new HDTV? It may be obsolete

[url]http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/01/04/high-definition-television-goes-dimensional/[/url]

[QUOTE][B][SIZE="5"]New HDTVs May Soon Be Obsolete? Thanks a Lot, 3D[/SIZE][/B]
    By John Quain - FOXNews.com

Just bought a new flat-panel HDTV for Christmas? Enjoying that new Blu-ray disc player? Guess what? They're already obsolete.... [/QUOTE]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll wait a couple years after they come out for prices to drop. In the meantime I'll leave it for the rich guys like Mark Sanchez and SAR to enjoy.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Already past 3D...

Eh, 3D is gimmicky but they ARE working on the next big thing already, UHD:

[i]Ultra High Definition (UHD) - The new format has a resolution of 7680 4320 pixels, four times as wide and four times as high (for a total of 16 times the pixel resolution) as existing HDTV, which has a maximum resolution of 1920 1080 pixels.[/i]

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:UHDV.svg[/url]

Although I am looking forward to seeing football in 3D (which has been presented in movie theaters already and should be out soon). :yes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It never ****ing ends they getcha everytime. I just finallllly got a blue ray and 1080p tv.:mad:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=HessStation;3435204]It never ****ing ends they getcha everytime. I just finallllly got a blue ray and 1080p tv.:mad:[/QUOTE]

Not to worry Hess, technology evolves and becomes obsolete every 20 minutes...it's a matter of what is actually developed, refined, and produced for the masses to consume.

I remember two years ago when I bought a super expensive, top of the line (at the time) samsung, and the month after I bought it, everyone was talking about those laser-display TVs that Mitsubishi of all companies was debuting in Vegas...they were supposed to be the end of all visual mediums as we knew them.

I bet 4 out of 5 people who read this won't even know what I'm talking about...it's just the way it works. Personally, I don't see a market for this, nor do I see anyone willing to expense the film or broadcast in 3d for the few who go out and buy it

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=HessStation;3435204]It never ****ing ends they getcha everytime. I just finallllly got a blue ray and 1080p tv.:mad:[/QUOTE]

btw, enjoy the 1080p...it's magnificent. If you've ever seen the distinction between i & p, it's drastic.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=greenwichjetfan;3435253]btw, enjoy the 1080p...it's magnificent. If you've ever seen the distinction between i & p, it's drastic.[/QUOTE]

Bigtime, I had/have an i already. At first, watching cable I was like er, yeah I guess this tv is better. But then I threw in a Blu ray and was like holy f'ing ****e, NICE! :yes:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    3D is a gimmick, looks great when used sparingly, but people aren't going to be sitting in their living rooms watching everything 3D in the future, I don't buy it.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know I'm not alone in a decent majority of the market that can't actually see projected 3D as it is used in movie theaters...this is gimmicky and rather alienating if you ask me. :\

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I gotta disagree, I think 3D is really going to take off once people start to embrace it, and the technology can advance. It looks like Avatar has gotten people talking about it again.

Supposedly someone is developing a TV that doesn't require you to wear those goofy glasses. Once that is available and affordable, there is no reason for it not to become the next big thing.

But yeah, 1080p displays won't be obsolete for a long time. They will just become the standard.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    What kind of delivery infrastructure (satellites, fiber, cable, etc.) would be needed to get 3D content into the home anyway?

I know that DirecTV is just now starting to deliver some 1080p via satellite but I don't think Cable Cos. can do that yet. I can only imagine the bandwidth needed to get all the data piped in for 3D images. Anyone familiar with this kind of stuff?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can future-proof your setup to a degree: buy hardware that can be upgraded via firmware over the Net; use HDMI 1.3a connections (and/or optical); CAT6 cabling for short runs (under 37 meters) for bandwith-intensive apps like HD video.

I got a Roku player for Christmas and I'm going to be running CAT6 through my attic soon. :cool:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    3D TV? LMFAO! No thanks.

A cure for cancer would be cool though.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=quantum;3435556]You can future-proof your setup to a degree: buy hardware that can be upgraded via firmware over the Net; use HDMI 1.3a connections (and/or optical); CAT6 cabling for short runs (under 37 meters) for bandwith-intensive apps like HD video.

I got a Roku player for Christmas and I'm going to be running CAT6 through my attic soon. :cool:[/QUOTE]

I pretty much didn't understand a thing you just said.

I guess that's why I hire people to do stuff like this for me. :P

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3435577]3D TV? LMFAO! No thanks.

A cure for cancer would be cool though.[/QUOTE]

2nd thought...forget the cancer cure. I want a computer that faps me while I surf for p0rn...and an iPhone app that measures load distance. :O

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

ESPN 3D to show soccer, football, more

Sounds like the 800 lb. gorilla thinks 3D might be a good idea.

[QUOTE][B]ESPN 3D to show soccer, football, more[/B]

Sports broadcasting will enter a new dimension in 2010 ... the third dimension, as ESPN will unveil the industry's first 3D network.

ESPN 3D will showcase a minimum of 85 live sporting events during its first year, beginning June 11 with the first 2010 FIFA World Cup match, featuring South Africa vs. Mexico, ESPN and ABC Sports president George Bodenheimer announced.

Other events to be produced in 3D include the 2011 BCS National Championship Game, college basketball and football contests, up to 25 World Cup matches and the Summer X Games. Additional events will be announced at a later date.

"ESPN's commitment to 3D is a win for fans and our business partners," Bodenheimer said in a statement. "ESPN 3D marries great content with new technology to enhance the fan's viewing experience and puts ESPN at the forefront of the next big advance for TV viewing."

ESPN has been testing ESPN 3D for more than two years, even showing a USC-Ohio State college football game in select theaters and to 6,000 fans at the Galen Center on USC's campus.[/QUOTE]

[url]http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=4796555[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Phoenixx;3435587]Sounds like the 800 lb. gorilla thinks 3D might be a good idea.[/QUOTE]

Do you still have to wear the glasses?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RageATL;3434866]Eh, 3D is gimmicky but they ARE working on the next big thing already, UHD:

[i]Ultra High Definition (UHD) - The new format has a resolution of 7680 4320 pixels, four times as wide and four times as high (for a total of 16 times the pixel resolution) as existing HDTV, which has a maximum resolution of 1920 1080 pixels.[/i]

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:UHDV.svg[/url]

Although I am looking forward to seeing football in 3D (which has been presented in movie theaters already and should be out soon). :yes:[/QUOTE]
    It never ends. :rolleyes:

Then they'll invent 3D UHD, and after that MFHAD (M*ther F*ckin High Ass Definition), and after that...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3435672]Do you still have to wear the glasses?[/QUOTE]

No idea...I'll have to ask my people. ;)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RaoulDuke;3435688]...and after that MFHAD (M*ther F*ckin High Ass Definition), and after that...[/QUOTE]

Great.

My knobs don't go to 11.