Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Did you get an awesome new HDTV? It may be obsolete

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I love how amazing the advertisments look on my regular TV.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=greenwichjetfan;3435253]btw, enjoy the 1080p...it's magnificent. If you've ever seen the distinction between i & p, it's drastic.[/QUOTE]

Don't mean to be "that" guy, but I'm "the guy" that my buddies call when they get new gear. I just tell 'em to get some beer and we're good to go...we'll get everything set up and looking/sounding great. Sh*t, you'd be surprised at how many people "think" they are watching high def 1080i (or p for that matter) and aren't. It's pure comedy, especially when they're bragging about how good their TV looks and I show them in front of their friends at a party. :P

[QUOTE=jetstream23;3435453]What kind of delivery infrastructure (satellites, fiber, cable, etc.) would be needed to get 3D content into the home anyway?

I know that DirecTV is just now starting to deliver some 1080p via satellite but I don't think Cable Cos. can do that yet. I can only imagine the bandwidth needed to get all the data piped in for 3D images. Anyone familiar with this kind of stuff?[/QUOTE]

As of right now, the PS3 will be able to display 3D material with a firmware update like all of their other ones. DirecTV just launched a new satellite and claim 3D content will be ready by March.

Here are a few issues:

DirecTV - A firmware update is all that will be required for current DirecTV subscribers to access the 3D programming, but viewing it will of course require a compatible television and the eyewear to match.

HDMI 1.3 - Any device that has a method for updating the firmware can be kicked up to support the new format. Cable set-top boxes and satellite receivers included.

Like most things though, the 3D update for already existing HDMI 1.3 products comes with a catch, and itís a catch in the form of reduced video quality. While HDMI 1.4 cables and devices will be capable of shooting out 3D pictures in full 1080p, HDMI 1.3 just canít handle it.

The problem is that for a 3D picture, two images have to be shown nearly simultaneously. Since HDMI 1.3 canít handle two 1080p pictures at that speed, youíll get two 1080i pictures. Itís not a huge downgrade when all is said and done. The real clincher comes with TV signals.

Since cable boxes normally show a 1080i image, theyíll be stepped down to 540i to handle 3D. With HDMI 1.3 cable boxes, youíll have the choice between HD and 3D, but not both.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=RageATL;3437400]...it will of course require a compatible television and the[B] eyewear to match[/B]...[/QUOTE]

WTF is that? I don't want to look like these guys when I'm sitting on my couch...

[IMG]http://www.insidesocal.com/tomhoffarth/3D-glasses-404_675044c.jpg[/IMG]

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3435585]2nd thought...forget the cancer cure. I want a computer that faps me while I surf for p0rn...and an iPhone app that measures load distance. :O[/QUOTE]

For a minute there I thought you were getting all serious and whatnot. :cautious:

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=quantum;3437555]For a minute there I thought you were getting all serious and whatnot. :cautious:[/QUOTE]

Me? I've never been serious about anything. My wife claims it is a serious personality flaw. I say it's much cheaper than anti-depressants....

[QUOTE=RaoulDuke;3435688]It never ends. :rolleyes:

Then they'll invent 3D UHD, and after that MFHAD (M*ther F*ckin High Ass Definition), and after that...[/QUOTE]

They should stop inventing things.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3437511]WTF is that? I don't want to look like these guys when I'm sitting on my couch...

[IMG]http://www.insidesocal.com/tomhoffarth/3D-glasses-404_675044c.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

Sorry, but you're gonna have to... :(

Glad I spent a billion dollars on my tv and stuff

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3437511]WTF is that? I don't want to look like these guys when I'm sitting on my couch...

[IMG]http://www.insidesocal.com/tomhoffarth/3D-glasses-404_675044c.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

Exactly why 3D technology won't catch on yet. It's cool as a gimmick, but past the first hour or two people would realize it's not worth it.