Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jerry Hughes - Fiesta Bowl

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Jerry Hughes - Fiesta Bowl

Game just started. Looks like we will be seeing a lot of Hughes in this one, and this gives us a big glimpse of him.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    He made some nice plays and certainly has a brain for the game but I was not awestruck by any means. Daniels and Washington looked good for TCU.

I liked some of the Boise State guys in that game. Ryan Wynterswyk had constant pressure. I liked Kyle Wilson and the guy that looked the best to me for being all over the field was Winston Venable.

Of course the dude with the two picks was lauded as the player of the game but he was also picked on in the game as well.
    Last edited by Beerfish; 01-05-2010 at 10:59 AM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;3435452]He made some nice plays and certainly has a brain for the game but I was no awestruck by any means. Daniels and Washington looked good for TCU.

I liked some of the Boise State guys in that game. Ryan Wynterswyk had constant pressure. I liked Kyle Wilson and the guy that looked the best to me for being all over the field was Winston Venable.

Of course the dude with the two picks was lauded as the player of the game but he was also picked on in the game as well.[/QUOTE]

I still dont like him as a 1st round pick, maybe late 1st. Not early 20's.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=raysdaone;3435461]I still dont like him as a 1st round pick, maybe late 1st. Not early 20's.[/QUOTE]

+1

Very athletic player with awesome upside, but still not quite elite.

That could change in the next 4 months, but right now my first round DE/OLBs:

Greg Hardy
    Derrick Morgan
    Brandon Graham
    Sergio Kindle
    Greg Romeus (Junior)

Probables/possibles but big question marks:

Carlos Dunlap (too big for position?, and I really don't like him as a prospect)
    Everson Griffen (do like him, but supposedly he's a prick. Don't like spoiled big program guys)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;3435466]
    Carlos Dunlap (too big for position?, and I really don't like him as a prospect)
    [/QUOTE]

theres no such thing as too big for a defensive end... especially one that runs like a running back

carlos dunlap is a fool for his DWI but he's still got Mario Williams type measurables.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wasn't impressed. I wouldn't have even noticed him if they didn't hype it

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    The most impressive player I saw for TCU was their punter. Holy shyte! :eek:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3435680][B]theres no such thing as too big for a defensive end... [/B]especially one that runs like a running back

carlos dunlap is a fool for his DWI but he's still got Mario Williams type measurables.[/QUOTE]

DE/OLB.

But yes, I get what you're saying. I'm not 100% behind that idea either, as I thought Williams would have been our pick and been playing DE/OLB in '06 if he fell to 4.

I still don't think Dunlap is as good as Williams.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    FWIW jerry hughes had a hurry but no sacks and he was going against a freshman most of the night

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3436791]FWIW jerry hughes had a hurry but no sacks and he was going against a freshman most of the night[/QUOTE]

Didn't Gholston disappear in his last game whatever that bowl game was....You still like him as a player

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;3436795]Didn't Gholston disappear in his last game whatever that bowl game was....You still like him as a player[/QUOTE]

i still like Jerry Hughes, just reporting what happened.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3436798]i still like Jerry Hughes, just reporting what happened.[/QUOTE]

OK....

Compare the 2 players Gholston Vs Hughes based on when Vern was coming out....

Veteran
    North Shore of Long Island. East Setauket
    Post Thanks / Like
    GUYS A MONSTER...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;3436808]
    Compare the 2 players Gholston Vs Hughes based on when Vern was coming out....[/QUOTE]

Hughes is probably faster in a straight line and has better arsenal of pass rush moves. Gholston is stronger, heavier, more durable and more explosive (vertical leap). Hughes actually stands up more then VG did, which translates better to a 3-4. I think both are excellent prospects.

Gholston coming from a better program helped his draft status alot... He played against better teams and had more sacks.

(for example if RB Chris Johnson was coming from USC instead of ECU and runs the same 4.27, he goes top 5 instead of top 30).

It's ironic to say this now but character wise Gholston was considered quirky but not criminal... guys like Dunlap and Hardy might be better football players but also might get arrested at any point.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The think I liked about Hughes is he showed he is a smart player recognizing several screen passes and dump offs to his side.

One thing about that game which was very funny. Every single player they put a graphic up on was majoring in 'Communications' and that was about 8 or 10 guys. They did mess up with one of the graphics and the guy was majoring in 'Cummunications.'

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;3436832]The think I liked about Hughes is he showed he is a smart player recognizing several screen passes and dump offs to his side.

One thing about that game which was very funny. Every single player they put a graphic up on was majoring in 'Communications' and that was about 8 or 10 guys. They did mess up with one of the graphics and the guy was majoring in 'Cummunications.'[/QUOTE]

Almost all college athletes major in communications because it's usually one of the easier paths to graduation.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3436829]Hughes is probably faster in a straight line and has better arsenal of pass rush moves. [B]Gholston is stronger, heavier, more durable and more explosive (vertical leap)[/B]. Hughes actually stands up more then VG did, which translates better to a 3-4. I think both are excellent prospects.

Gholston coming from a better program helped his draft status alot... He played against better teams and had more sacks.

(for example if RB Chris Johnson was coming from USC instead of ECU and runs the same 4.27, he goes top 5 instead of top 30).

It's ironic to say this now but character wise Gholston was considered quirky but not criminal... guys like Dunlap and Hardy might be better football players but also might get arrested at any point.[/QUOTE]

Thanks.

The little I saw last night Hughes seemed to have an explosive 1st step...He seems more athletic than Gholston

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Guess I was one of the few who liked Hughes last night. He got pressure a bunch of times and batted down a few passes. Had really good play recognition near the flats too.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;3436980]Thanks.

The little I saw last night Hughes seemed to have an explosive 1st step...He seems more athletic than Gholston[/QUOTE]

I'll agree he definitely seems faster and quicker - but he also is about 10 pounds lighter than VG.

the vertical leap is the test of explosion, if Jerry Hughes can match 42 inches he will be a sure fire first rounder.

possible he can but it's a rare number there are defensive backs that don't jump that high.

l seem to have become Gholston's defender in these boards... but let me be clear i don't think he's awesome or even good right now.

my view is he still has potential and still the only pick made sense... not only at the time... but years later I haven't heard a good pick even with the benefit of hindsight. Baltimore and New England traded out of their slots, the Jets had to take the last blue chip player. If Calvin Pace, Bryan Thomas can become good players after starting so slowly, so can VG. the Jets have to feel the same way... i think fans hoping for a Jerry Hughes pick are thinking differently than the front office.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3436829]Hughes is probably faster in a straight line and has better arsenal of pass rush moves. Gholston is stronger, heavier, more durable and more explosive (vertical leap). Hughes actually stands up more then VG did, which translates better to a 3-4. I think both are excellent prospects.

It's ironic to say this now but character wise Gholston was considered quirky but not criminal... guys like Dunlap and[B] Hardy might be better football players but also might get arrested at any point[/B].[/QUOTE]

Seriously?

Dunlap is probably your typical spoiled athlete from a huge program...but Hardy gets nothing but praise from his coaching staff. I think Hardy's character issues, whatever they might be, are terribly overblown. His sole problem is the injuries...