Thread: An Englishman in NY, im visiting soon for the first time.

Practice Squad

An Englishman in NY, im visiting soon for the first time.

Hi all,

After many years of wanting to visit NY my chance will finally come in early febuary. Although i will miss the NFL i will still get a chance to see some NHL & NBA at the garden.
    Im wondering if anyone here has season tickets for either the Knicks or Rangers who i can maybe tag along with as i have no experience of going to onne of these events.
    Also can anyone reccommend and places i should visit outside of Manhhatten as im not a big sightseer.

Ricard

[QUOTE=ricard78;3436771]Hi all,

After many years of wanting to visit NY my chance will finally come in early febuary. Although i will miss the NFL i will still get a chance to see some NHL & NBA at the garden.
    Im wondering if anyone here has season tickets for either the Knicks or Rangers who i can maybe tag along with as i have no experience of going to onne of these events.
    Also can anyone reccommend and places i should visit outside of Manhhatten as im not a big sightseer.

Ricard[/QUOTE]

Well, since the Jets aren't playing then there's no reason whatsoever to go to New Jersey. That is unless your flight is landing at Newark Airport of course. To be honest there isn't much to see in NYC outside of Manhattan this time of the year unless you're into just roaming around and seeing different neighborhoods.

... if you're ok braving cold weather it might be worth the trip to go visit west point academy (army) ... you could see why we kicked your butts back in '76 ... ;) ... :D ... i'm sure it will be cold, quiet, serene, & peaceful ... probably an hour and 1/2 drive from NYC ... not sure what your interests are ...

l_j_r

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=ricard78;3436771]Hi all,

Ricard[/QUOTE]

If you like steak, Peter Luger's in Williamsburg (Brooklyn) is a real institution. There a dozens and dozens of quality steakhouses in Manhattan, but none quite capture the essence that is Lugers.

If you are coming with a lady, you can also check out River Cafe in Brooklyn (very expensive) which gives you a fantastic view of Manhattan. If Italian food is your bag, you could also head to Arthur Ave in the Bronx for the REAL Little Italy these days. Roberto's is the most well known, I think.

Yes, most of NYC visits revolve around eating and shopping. If you are coming in the warmer months, you could jump on the railroad (or take the Jitney) and head out to the Hamptons/Montauk for a day - but just realized if you are trying to see the Rags, that's probably not gonna work.

Practice Squad
    Im actually coming on my own, ive never had the chance to visit such an amazing city, but i like to go somewhere and do the things local people do (when in rome and all that) I was thinking of visiting Coney Island and maybe some parts of Queens. But i am going to take a day to do the Manhatten thing, just didnt want to get too lost.

All League
    [QUOTE=VivaSanchez;3437267]Well, since the Jets aren't playing then there's no reason whatsoever to go to New Jersey. That is unless your flight is landing at Newark Airport of course. To be honest there isn't much to see in NYC outside of Manhattan this time of the year unless you're into just roaming around and seeing different neighborhoods.[/QUOTE]

Wow! What a sad, dull world you live in.

All League
    [QUOTE=ricard78;3438068]Im actually coming on my own, ive never had the chance to visit such an amazing city, but i like to go somewhere and do the things local people do (when in rome and all that) I was thinking of visiting Coney Island and maybe some parts of Queens. But i am going to take a day to do the Manhatten thing, just didnt want to get too lost.[/QUOTE]

Probably need more than a day to run thru Manhattan. If you go to a museum, Museum of Modern Art or modern History for example, you'll need at least a half day for each.

Go down to the meat packing district for food. If you like steak.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Head up to the Bronx, go to the Bronx Zoo then walk over to Arther Ave. for a great Italian meal. (Roberto's on Crescent St. is one of the best Italian restaurants anywhere). :cool:

Practice Squad
    Can anyone reccomend any hang out spots or good nightclubs in the city, laid back easy to talk to new people?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=ricard78;3438503]Can anyone reccomend any hang out spots or good nightclubs in the city, laid back easy to talk to new people?[/QUOTE]

translation: [I][SIZE="1"]where do I go to get laid?[/SIZE][/I]

Practice Squad
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;3438523]translation: [I][SIZE="1"]where do I go to get laid?[/SIZE][/I][/QUOTE]

Haha well that would be a bonus but i actually ment what i said.

I noticed your a Knicks fan, Im planning on taking a game in whilst im there what is a good price for money v View

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=ricard78;3438608]Haha well that would be a bonus but i actually ment what i said.

I noticed your a Knicks fan, Im planning on taking a game in whilst im there what is a good price for money v View[/QUOTE]

Actually my sig is kind of a joke. I would not be an expert on the Knicks whatsoever, as I stopped watching the NBA about 15 years. Sorry I can't help.

[QUOTE=Jet Blast;3438077]Wow! What a sad, dull world you live in.[/QUOTE]

Quick, name the tourist sites in the other boroughs, Westchester, or north Jersey that equal what's in Manhattan. Can't think of any huh? The baseball season is over. So what's the point in going to see Yankee Stadium or Citi Field? The Bronx Zoo? You won't see many animals when it's 20 degrees out. Prospect Park? Nice for a walk in the cold, but doesn't compare now to how it is in the spring and summer. If they're into art, then they could hit the Brooklyn Museum maybe. As for Staten Island, there's absolutely nothing there worth getting off the ferry to see.

Yes, there are plenty of great restaurants and pubs outside of Manhattan and, like I said before, if someone is into seeing neighborhoods, the houses, and how people live in different areas, then by all means go see North Jersey, Brooklyn, or Queens. They just won't see anything that makes them look up and go "wow" like the Brooklyn Bridge, the Empire State Bldg, the Statue of Liberty, St. Patrick's, Rockefeller Center, etc and so on.

Practice Squad
    Dont argue about it lads, i would not recommend walking around my neighbourhood if you were not from my town, but im not like normal people. I like to meet local people and see local places when i visit other countries. Its just how i am.

Definitely go to Peter Lugers. Best steak house in NY. But make a reservation now unless you want to eat after 11pm.

[QUOTE=ricard78;3440348][COLOR="DarkRed"][I]Dont argue about it lads[/I][/COLOR], i would not recommend walking around my neighbourhood if you were not from my town, but im not like normal people. I like to meet local people and see local places when i visit other countries. Its just how i am.[/QUOTE]

This is the HAMPER, Don't spoil the fun.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=VivaSanchez;3438803]Quick, name the tourist sites in the other boroughs, Westchester, or north Jersey that equal what's in Manhattan. Can't think of any huh? The baseball season is over. So what's the point in going to see Yankee Stadium or Citi Field? The Bronx Zoo? You won't see many animals when it's 20 degrees out. Prospect Park? Nice for a walk in the cold, but doesn't compare now to how it is in the spring and summer. If they're into art, then they could hit the Brooklyn Museum maybe. As for Staten Island, there's absolutely nothing there worth getting off the ferry to see.

Yes, there are plenty of great restaurants and pubs outside of Manhattan and, like I said before, if someone is into seeing neighborhoods, the houses, and how people live in different areas, then by all means go see North Jersey, Brooklyn, or Queens. They just won't see anything that makes them look up and go "wow" like the Brooklyn Bridge, the Empire State Bldg, the Statue of Liberty, St. Patrick's, Rockefeller Center, etc and so on.[/QUOTE]

When I travel, I just like to see different things. When I went to the game on Sunday I found myself riding around Nutley, NJ. Probably not a big deal to Jet fans in NY area but I got a kick out of it. All these 20's style homes with a lot of character, on tiny lots, with steep sloping front yards. Big trees. Very cool, and nicely maintained I should add. It reminded me of 60's suburban style life everyone wants again.

I'm [B]definitely[/B] [B]not[/B] recommending a guy from England goes out there, but I enjoyed it because it was so different than where I live now.

When I go to a European city, I like to get off the beaten path and see where the normal people live. Unfortunately in American cities, you can find yourself robbed if you're not careful. Many European cities like London and Paris are becoming the same way though.

Come on up to Albany and we can reminisce about my two years in East Anglia!

Well, maybe not Albany but there's a LOT of skiing north of NYC!

[url]http://81sps.homestead.com/main.html[/url]

:jets18

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Timmy®;3441040]When I went to the game on Sunday I found myself riding around Nutley, NJ. Probably not a big deal to Jet fans in NY area but I got a kick out of it. All these 20's style homes with a lot of character, on tiny lots, with steep sloping front yards. Big trees. Very cool, and nicely maintained I should add. It reminded me of 60's suburban style life everyone wants again.

[/QUOTE]

... hehehehe ... that would be funny if he came over from britain and spent his time in nutley nj!

... would remind me of when i was in england ... drinking the night before and missed the last train to stonehenge ... so we were like what now??? ... hhmmm ... there's a train for dover ... let's go check out the white cliffs ... :eek: ...

... hhmmm ... looking at a salt mine's not too much fun ... got good and sh*tty drunk at a local pub there though! ...

l_j_r