Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Arab-American students evoke 9/11 in t-shirt

Jets Insider VIP

Arab-American students evoke 9/11 in t-shirt

Imagine this was done at a NYC high school.

[QUOTE][B][SIZE="5"]Mich. High School Students in Trouble for Twin Towers Shirts[/SIZE][/B]

DEARBORN, Michigan At least nine Detroit area high school juniors are in trouble for wearing sweat shirts bearing a design that evokes the terrorist attacks that destroyed the World Trade Center's Twin Towers.

Dearborn Public Schools spokesman David Mustonen has told The Detroit News and Detroit Free Press that the shirts the boys wore to Edsel Ford High School on Monday are "offensive" and in "poor taste."

The boys are Arab-American, as are about half the school's 1,700 students.

They belong to the 2011 class. On the shirts, the number 11 resembles two buildings, with the school's "Thunderbird" mascot flying toward them. Printed beneath the image are the words, "You can't bring us down."

The boys are to meet with school officials but suspensions are not planned.

[IMG]http://www.foxnews.com/images/593966/0_61_towers_320.jpg[/IMG]

[/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,582116,00.html[/url]

[QUOTE=jetstream23;3437845]Imagine this was done at a NYC high school.

[url]http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,582116,00.html[/url][/QUOTE]

Yay.

Some arab teenagers are actually more stupid then anyone else at their school.

Honestly, they probably deserve a short suspension from school.

Hall Of Fame
    home of the hot guy in my avatar.. oh baby!
    there is a reason there are dress codes for schools now. some people evidently dont understand that.

Sorry, but it's not a schools (Government's) job to decide what is, or isn't "good taste", or "acceptable" forms of legal speech.

If it's legal (i.e. no nudity ro profanity) it should be permitted. Period. There is no "right to not be offended" anywhere in our founding documents or legal system. Rightfully so.

No matter how incredably stupid it may be (and it is, obviously) it shouldn't be the schools job to make determinations of permission based on "good tatse" or the offendedness of others.

Today the "good tatse" facists stop this, and we cheer. Tomorrow they stop something else, and we go "meh, ok I guess". The next day, they will come for you.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3437927]Sorry, but it's not a schools (Government's) job to decide what is, or isn't "good taste", or "acceptable" forms of legal speech.

If it's legal (i.e. no nudity ro profanity) it should be permitted. Period. There is no "right to not be offended" anywhere in our founding documents or legal system. Rightfully so.

No matter how incredably stupid it may be (and it is, obviously) it shouldn't be the schools job to make determinations of permission based on "good tatse" or the offendedness of others.

Today the "good tatse" facists stop this, and we cheer. Tomorrow they stop something else, and we go "meh, ok I guess". The next day, they will come for you.[/QUOTE]

I agree.

I remember when I was in HS (circa 1982) one of my buddies wore a T-shirt that depicted Mickey Mouse smoking a joint. He got suspended.

All League
    I'm cornfused. The shirt says "You can't bring us down", right? And it has the school mascot flying in to a class of '11 representation of the twin towers? So the shirt is saying that the school cannot bring down the students, no? I dunno, but when I was in high-school, I was very anti-school anything also.

I don't get it.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3437927]Sorry, but it's not a schools (Government's) job to decide what is, or isn't "good taste", or "acceptable" forms of legal speech.

Today the "good tatse" facists stop this, and we cheer. Tomorrow they stop something else, and we go "meh, ok I guess". The next day, they will come for you.[/QUOTE]

Sorry. The bill of rights for minors stop at the schoolhouse doors. Govt. funds these schools and one has to dance to the tune of the one that's playing the music! It's always been this way Warfish.

Hall Of Fame
    home of the hot guy in my avatar.. oh baby!
    [QUOTE=chesapeakejet;3437998]Sorry. The bill of rights for minors stop at the schoolhouse doors. Govt. funds these schools and one has to dance to the tune of the one that's playing the music! It's always been this way Warfish.[/QUOTE]
    well i guess if you dont like public schools and their rules, try a private school. they are alot more stricter in what they say is acceptable.

but what ches says is true. since the gov is funding the public school system, you have to play by their rules.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    [QUOTE=chesapeakejet;3437998]Sorry. The bill of rights for minors stop at the schoolhouse doors. Govt. funds these schools and one has to dance to the tune of the one that's playing the music! It's always been this way Warfish.[/QUOTE]

?

So therefore the bill of rights should stop at the courthouse doors?

?

Today the "good tatse" facists stop this, and we cheer. Tomorrow they stop something else, and we go "meh, ok I guess". The next day, they will come for you.[/QUOTE]i don't know about that...i think schools are allowed to enforce some kind of dress code...local and cultural morass' have, for thousands of years, influenced laws...lots of rights not in constitution that are protected...if you believe its a living document, that is.

Veteran

So if someone walked into a school with a T-Shirt that says "Slavery Ruled!" or "Hitler was right!" then these should be allowed in public school? Americans have the right to be racist if they want. Doesn't mean this type of stuff should be allowed in schools. I think that it would be irresponsible of the school to NOT say anything about these examples. Keep in mind that you can't just say whatever you want where and when you want.

+1.

All schools have appropriate clothing and behavior rules for the safety of all students.

Little miscreants.

[QUOTE=Buster;3438022]?

So therefore the bill of rights should stop at the courthouse doors?

?[/QUOTE]

(Comment Removed)

Bow down to your Government Overlords! Just because your taxes fund them, doesn't mean they cannot take your rights away!

I always love watching folks be the first one to line up to take awy OTHER FOLKS freedom. One alwasy wonders if tehy'd be so eager to give up their own.

:rolleyes:

[QUOTE=ubrnostrum;3438063]So if someone walked into a school with a T-Shirt that says "Slavery Ruled!" or "Hitler was right!" then these should be allowed in public school?[/quote]

Yes.

The individual has the freedom, a guaranteed freedom, to free speech under the Government (not private). The Govt. should never have thr ight to take that away.

The counter to the Hitler-loving ignoramous in your example, is the FREEDOM of the other students to socially isolate the wearer, and to speak their own minds (verbally, not with violence) as they see fit.

The irony of this being that the abdication fo freedom of speech to the Government is quite Hitlerian itself, so each of you lauding this are, in effect, saying "Hitler and Facism was right. There should be no freedom to speech".

[quote]Keep in mind that you can't just say whatever you want where and when you want.[/QUOTE]

You cannot yell "fire" in a crowded room, no. If you equate this shirt (or anythign similar) with that, you need your head examined. I am sure your Giovernment Overlords will be happy to provide their soon-to-be-Government domonated Health Care to take care of that need.
    Last edited by Warfish; 01-06-2010 at 03:52 PM.

[QUOTE=ubrnostrum;3438063]So if someone walked into a school with a T-Shirt that says "Slavery Ruled!" or "Hitler was right!" then these should be allowed in public school? [/QUOTE]
    According to Warfish, yes. Not one of his stronger efforts.

[QUOTE=Warfish;3438253]Lol, this utter abject ignorance of Ches's statement is.....stunning.

Bow down to your Government Overlords! Just because your taxes fund them, doesn't mean they cannot take your rights away!

I always love watching folks be the first one to line up to take awy OTHER FOLKS freedom. One alwasy wonders if tehy'd be so eager to give up their own.

Yes.

The individual has the freedom, a guaranteed freedom, to free speech under the Government (not private). The Govt. should never have thr ight to take that away.

The counter to the Hitler-loving ignoramous in your example, is the FREEDOM of the other students to socially isolate the wearer, and to speak their own minds (verbally, not with violence) as they see fit.

The irony of this being that the abdication fo freedom of speech to the Government is quite Hitlerian itself, so each of you lauding this are, in effect, saying "Hitler and Facism was right. There should be no freedom to speech".

You cannot yell "fire" in a crowded room, no. If you equate this shirt (or anythign similar) with that, you need your head examined. I am sure your Giovernment Overlords will be happy to provide their soon-to-be-Government domonated Health Care to take care of that need.[/QUOTE]

Government Overlords

Sigh.

All well and good from the ivory tower. Now try spending a day in a real high school.

Its hard enough to get their not fully formed hormone enraged brains to sit still for 45 minutes. You want them having Hitler discussions between classes?
    Last edited by FF2; 01-06-2010 at 03:03 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=FF2;3438287]Government Overlords

Sigh.

All well and good from the ivory tower. Now try spending a day [B]in a real high school[/B].

Its hard enough to get their not fully formed hormone enraged brains to sit still for 45 minutes. You want them having Hitler discussions between classes?[/QUOTE]

This made me LOL

Jets Insider VIP
    ALL BOW BEFORE THE UNSTOPPABLE POWER THAT IS SILK SCREENED T-SHIRTS!

[QUOTE=FF2;3438287]Now try spending a day in a real high school.[/QUOTE]

As opposed to the "fake" High School I spent those 4 years in? If only I'd known at the time it was all a fake sham! :rolleyes:

And again, comparing this shirt to a "Hitler was Right" shirt is such a leap as to be unfathomably silly. This is exactly the problem that us "Ivory tower" guys have to protect against....the expansion of limits from the logical, to the mere "meh, I'm offended so it should be banned" mentallity of Political Correctness and self-important-wanna-be-Thought-Police run amok.

Like I said, it's all fun and games till they come for you.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Warfish;3438326]As opposed to the "fake" High School I spent those 4 years in? If only I'd known at the time it was all a fake sham! :rolleyes:

And again, comparing this shirt to a "Hitler was Right" shirt is such a leap as to be unfathomably silly. This is exactly the problem that us "Ivory tower" guys have to protect against....the expansion of limits from the logical, to the mere "meh, I'm offended so it should be banned" mentallity of Political Correctness and self-important-wanna-be-Thought-Police run amok.

Like I said, it's all fun and games till they come for you.[/QUOTE]
    Just make sure no one sings any Christmas carols...

Schluberator & Gadfly
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3438253]Lol, this utter abject ignorance of Ches's statement is.....stunning.

Yes.

You cannot yell "fire" in a crowded room, no. If you equate this shirt (or anythign similar) with that, you need your head examined. I am sure your Giovernment Overlords will be happy to provide their soon-to-be-Government domonated Health Care to take care of that need.[/QUOTE]

I may be ignorant but I don't live on fantasy island. I just told you the truth. You can handle the truth, can't you?

Bottom line, it is what it is.