Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Arab-American students evoke 9/11 in t-shirt

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetswin;3438342]Just make sure no one sings any Christmas carols...[/QUOTE]

or wears a t-shirt that insults muslims....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetswin;3438342]Just make sure no one sings any Christmas carols...[/QUOTE]

Or professes their non-belief...;)

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3438326]As opposed to the "fake" High School I spent those 4 years in? If only I'd known at the time it was all a fake sham! :rolleyes:

And again, comparing this shirt to a "Hitler was Right" shirt is such a leap as to be unfathomably silly. This is exactly the problem that us "Ivory tower" guys have to protect against....the expansion of limits from the logical, to the mere "meh, I'm offended so it should be banned" mentallity of Political Correctness and self-important-wanna-be-Thought-Police run amok.

Like I said, it's all fun and games till they come for you.[/QUOTE]

I think you misunderstand my position. All I'm saying is, you go to a govt. funded school, then expect to play by their rules. Why do you think people home school kids?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3438358]Or professes their non-belief...;)[/QUOTE]
    lol...yes that too

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3438253]Lol, this utter abject ignorance of Ches's statement is.....stunning.

[/QUOTE]

:rolleyes:

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOOTKA0aGI0[/url]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=chesapeakejet;3437998]Sorry. The bill of rights for minors stop at the schoolhouse doors. Govt. funds these schools and one has to dance to the tune of the one that's playing the music! It's always been this way Warfish.[/QUOTE]

What's surprising is how FEW places there are where one can exercise true free speech. Rule out federal funding, state funding, city funding, township funding, private property and you've got the old soapbox in the park... but don't draw a crowd. You'll be arrested for creating a nuisance or some other local ordinance. The least of my worries would be what a bunch of lame teenagers in a public high school have to say about pretty much anything...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=chesapeakejet;3438362]Why do you think people home school kids?[/QUOTE]

Because it was cheaper for my Dad to afford that through the mail home school thing than it was for him to afford that psychologist the school wanted me to go to?

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=long island leprechaun;3438378]What's surprising is how FEW places there are where one can exercise true free speech. Rule out federal funding, state funding, city funding, township funding, private property and you've got the old soapbox in the park... but don't draw a crowd. You'll be arrested for creating a nuisance or some other local ordinance. The least of my worries would be what a bunch of lame teenagers in a public high school have to say about pretty much anything...[/QUOTE]

I wish I had a nickel for every law on the books.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3438388]Because it was cheaper for my Dad to afford that through the mail home school thing than it was for him to afford that psychologist the school wanted me to go to?[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

:rolleyes:

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=chesapeakejet;3438354]I may be ignorant but I don't live on fantasy island. I just told you the truth. You can handle the truth, can't you?

Bottom line, it is what it is.[/QUOTE]

Must.....not.......poast......Youtube Links.....to "Da Plane, Da Plane"......or Heaven Help us......Jack Nicholson......aaaaaaaahhhhghggggg.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3437927]Sorry, but it's not a schools (Government's) job to decide what is, or isn't "good taste", or "acceptable" forms of legal speech.

If it's legal (i.e. no nudity ro profanity) it should be permitted. Period. There is no "right to not be offended" anywhere in our founding documents or legal system. Rightfully so.

No matter how incredably stupid it may be (and it is, obviously) it shouldn't be the schools job to make determinations of permission based on "good tatse" or the offendedness of others.

Today the "good tatse" facists stop this, and we cheer. Tomorrow they stop something else, and we go "meh, ok I guess". The next day, they will come for you.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, Robert Bork. (Not meant to be an insult; your post just reads like a passage from [I]The Tempting of America[/I], which I read years ago and enjoyed).

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=32green;3438369]:rolleyes:

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOOTKA0aGI0[/url][/QUOTE]

they don't make 'em like that anymore....love the "horse" in that scene....

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3438326]As opposed to the "fake" High School I spent those 4 years in? If only I'd known at the time it was all a fake sham! :rolleyes:

And again, comparing this shirt to a "Hitler was Right" shirt is such a leap as to be unfathomably silly. This is exactly the problem that us "Ivory tower" guys have to protect against....the expansion of limits from the logical, to the mere "meh, I'm offended so it should be banned" mentallity of Political Correctness and self-important-wanna-be-Thought-Police run amok.

Like I said, it's all fun and games till they come for you.[/QUOTE]

You're not seeing the point of the examples that I used. Granted mine goes a bit further, but the shirt that the kids wore was obviously used as a shock factor. my comparisons weren't all that silly. They will both garner a negative reaction and could possibly bring about violence to the wearer. One of the earlier posters asked a very good question: imagine that this had been done in a NY high school. I'd venture to guess that the wearer of this t-shirt (especially since he's an "arab") has put himself in a position where his safety could be compromised -- NY or not NY. If you think that a school full of 16 year olds will merely shun this kid or ignore him in order to teach him a lesson, then I have to ask which one of our ideas is more unfathomably silly. Bottom line is that a school definitely has a right to impose and enforce dress codes. Clothing can be a massive distraction from schoolwork if used properly.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=chesapeakejet;3438362]I think you misunderstand my position. All I'm saying is, you go to a govt. funded school, then expect to play by their rules. Why do you think people home school kids?[/QUOTE]

And I think what WF is saying is that as long as the government is funded by the taxpayers, then the goverment should have no restrictions on how those taxpayers (or their kids) choose to express themselves.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;3438413]And I think what WF is saying is that as long as the government is funded by the taxpayers, then the goverment should have no restrictions on how those taxpayers (or their kids) choose to express themselves.[/QUOTE]

That's where the waters get muddied. We all pay taxes but have different opinions.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;3438413]And I think what WF is saying is that as long as the government is funded by the taxpayers, then the goverment should have no restrictions on how those taxpayers (or their kids) choose to express themselves.[/QUOTE]

but its' not the government- its' school officials that are making the decision....school officials who are usually put in place by the local school board who is voted on or agreed upon to represent the taxpayors of the school's town by those same taxpayors...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=chesapeakejet;3438425]That's where the waters get muddied. We all pay taxes but have different opinions.[/QUOTE]

Which is exactly why the government should have nothing to say about any aspect of your personal life. It exists only to provide service and protect your liberties, not to regulate or eliminate them based on opinions. You should be free to do whatever you wish, as long as your actions are not infringing on the rights of anyone else.

This t-shirt is not infringing on anyone's freedom. Problem is, most of this country confuses their opinion and their feelings with their [I]rights[/I].

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3438430]but its' not the government- its' school officials that are making the decision....school officials who are usually put in place by the local school board who is voted on or agreed upon to represent the taxpayors of the school's town by those same taxpayors...[/QUOTE]

That's called [I]local[/I] government

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;3438444]Which is exactly why the government should have nothing to say about any aspect of your personal life. It exists only to provide service and protect your liberties, not to regulate or eliminate them based on opinions. You should be free to do whatever you wish, as long as your actions are not infringing on the rights of anyone else.

This t-shirt is not infringing on anyone's freedom. Problem is, most of this country confuses their opinion and their feelings with their [I]rights[/I].[/QUOTE]

So it's ok to burn the flag then?

FWIW I think we should abolish the IRS and Income Tax.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=chesapeakejet;3438450]So it's ok to burn the flag then?

FWIW I think we should abolish the IRS and Income Tax.[/QUOTE]

It should be, yes. You'd be a total dooshnozzle, but that's your right to choose to do it.

And yes, we should absolutely abolish the IRS and income tax. I suppose you are also a FairTax fan, as am I.