Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Arab-American students evoke 9/11 in t-shirt

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;3438453]It should be, yes. You'd be a total dooshnozzle, but that's your right to choose to do it.

And yes, we should absolutely abolish the IRS and income tax. I suppose you are also a FairTax fan, as am I.[/QUOTE]

Not sure about "FairTax" but a National Sales tax would work for me. People want to go out and buy stuff they really don't need, they can pay the tax burden. People with more money than sense can pay the tax burden.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=chesapeakejet;3438462]Not sure about "FairTax" but a National Sales tax would work for me. People want to go out and buy stuff they really don't need, they can pay the tax burden. People with more money than sense can pay the tax burden.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. That's what FairTax is. I think we may have touched this subject once before?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3438326]As opposed to the "fake" High School I spent those 4 years in? If only I'd known at the time it was all a fake sham! :rolleyes:

And again, comparing this shirt to a "Hitler was Right" shirt is such a leap as to be unfathomably silly. This is exactly the problem that us "Ivory tower" guys have to protect against....the expansion of limits from the logical, to the mere "meh, I'm offended so it should be banned" mentallity of Political Correctness and self-important-wanna-be-Thought-Police run amok.

Like I said, it's all fun and games till they come for you.[/QUOTE]

You are so way off the issue here. Every institution needs rules to keep order and safety.

Go scream whatever you want on the town common.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FF2®;3438555]You are so way off the issue here. Every institution needs rules to keep order and safety.

Go scream whatever you want on the town common.[/QUOTE]

I don't think so. I would say it's those over-reacting (including the school) who are off base.

This clearly isn't "Hitler was right", nor can I actually find ANY conscious malice in the graphic. At it's very worst, it's in "bad taste" to some folks.

And yes, I will defend people when the only harm being done is offending someones soft and sensative "taste", yet results in the power of Government (and lets not be coy here, Public School IS Government as much as any other agency is) denying a basic human right.....over "bad taste".

And while screaming from the public commons sounds great, the sad reality is there is littel truly "public" commons anymore, and if one were to yell out fromt here, they'd be arrested for disturbing the peace.

Again, I look forward to the day something you say, consiously malicious or not, lands you in the hot water of the PC thought police. Tehy'll get round to you eventually, you can be sure of that.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3438586]
    Again, I look forward to the day something you say, consiously malicious or not, lands you in the hot water of the PC thought police. Tehy'll get round to you eventually, you can be sure of that.[/QUOTE]

They have.

They're called "Mods."

Ever hear of 'em?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3438586]I don't think so. I would say it's those over-reacting (including the school) who are off base.

This clearly isn't "Hitler was right", nor can I actually find ANY conscious malice in the graphic. At it's very worst, it's in "bad taste" to some folks.

And yes, I will defend people when the only harm being done is offending someones soft and sensative "taste", yet results in the power of Government (and lets not be coy here, Public School IS Government as much as any other agency is) denying a basic human right.....over "bad taste".

And while screaming from the public commons sounds great, the sad reality is there is littel truly "public" commons anymore, and if one were to yell out fromt here, they'd be arrested for disturbing the peace.

Again, I look forward to the day something you say, consiously malicious or not, lands you in the hot water of the PC thought police. Tehy'll get round to you eventually, you can be sure of that.[/QUOTE]starting to taste apples and oranges here...bottom line...schools have the right to enforce dress codes...if free speech intertwines with it the courts have ruled consistently in favor of schools ability to dress student populace how they see fit...within reason, notwithstanding historical protection of free speech rights

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe if they just asked the kids not to wear them, they would do it. They should try that.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

This is rare, but I agree with the eye.

[QUOTE=Warfish;3437927]Sorry, but it's not a schools (Government's) job to decide what is, or isn't "good taste", or "acceptable" forms of legal speech.

If it's legal (i.e. no nudity ro profanity) it should be permitted. Period. There is no "right to not be offended" anywhere in our founding documents or legal system. Rightfully so.

No matter how incredably stupid it may be (and it is, obviously) it shouldn't be the schools job to make determinations of permission based on "good tatse" or the offendedness of others.

Today the "good tatse" facists stop this, and we cheer. Tomorrow they stop something else, and we go "meh, ok I guess". The next day, they will come for you.[/QUOTE]

I just have to agree with Warfish on this, except for the fact that it was obviously stupid on their part. I think you really have to stretch to get Fox New's meaning from the shirt.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3438655]Maybe if they just asked the kids not to wear them, they would do it. They should try that.[/QUOTE]
    what're you... a fuquin anarchist?!?!!?

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is a common misconception that the ‘Bill of Rights’ protects ‘your rights’. The truth is the Bill of Rights limits the power of the government and tells them what they cannot do.

“[B]Congress shall make no law[/B] respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.”

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buster;3438754][B]It is a common misconception that the ‘Bill of Rights’ protects ‘your rights’. [/B]The truth is the Bill of Rights limits the power of the government and tells them what they cannot do.

“[B]Congress shall make no law[/B] respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.”[/QUOTE]
    This is very true. Rights may be enumerated and referred to by the Bill of Rights, but a "right" is intrinsic. A right cannot be taken away because it is something that is self-evident. I have the "right" to the proceeds from my own labor because I have the cajones to keep them. A right cannot be conferred upon you by another source, if it is,then it is a "privilege". "Rights" are a concept of "Natural Law".

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_law[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=freestater;3438740]what're you... a fuquin anarchist?!?!!?[/QUOTE]

Quite possibly. I really resent it when the local law enforcement agency come and try to snatch my crops.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=freestater;3438759]This is very true. Rights may be enumerated and referred to by the Bill of Rights, but a "right" is intrinsic. A right cannot be taken away because it is something that is self-evident. I have the "right" to the proceeds from my own labor because I have the cajones to keep them. A right cannot be conferred upon you by another source, if it is,then it is a "privilege". "Rights" are a concept of "Natural Law".

[URL]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_law[/URL][/QUOTE]

Yup. Madison couldn't understand why there was such a backlash when the Constitution did not include a Bill of Rights... "but the rights are self-evident. They don't need to be enumerated! Guys like Patrick Henry were on the ball when they insisted that those rights be documented anyway. If there's one thing we've all learned with the passage of time and the methods of government.... NOTHING is self-evident or guaranteed....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    geting back to topic of thread...public schools are run by the states...which are protected from federal intrusion by the constitution...everything still working as planned...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why does it seem like everyone, everywhere, all the time, can never be in the middle on any issue? What happened to compromising? Or common sense?

These stupid kids are 16 years old, making them a whopping 7 in 2001. They cannot know the impact that 9/11 had on this nation, the same way I will never understand the impact of things that happened when I was a young kid.

If an adult wants to walk around in a shirt like that, fine. See how many city blocks he makes it walking in the Financial District. An adult can take full responsibility for what they say, and they should deal with the consequences.

Children need to be taught. These kids should be fully made aware why they shouldn't want to wear these shirts--as should all of their peers--for the sake of patriotism.

[QUOTE=Warfish;3438253]
    The counter to the Hitler-loving ignoramous in your example, is the FREEDOM of the other students to socially isolate the wearer, and to speak their own minds (verbally, not with violence) as they see fit.[/QUOTE]

This may work in our adult society, or it should anyway. Under 18 and the rules are totally different. It's more of an injuction of the work being done by the educational system that kid's this far along in their schooling don't see anything wrong with making a 9/11-themed class shirt.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Wall Street Superstar;3439232]Why does it seem like everyone, everywhere, all the time, can never be in the middle on any issue? What happened to compromising? Or common sense?

These stupid kids are 16 years old, making them a whopping 7 in 2001. They cannot know the impact that 9/11 had on this nation, the same way I will never understand the impact of things that happened when I was a young kid.

If an adult wants to walk around in a shirt like that, fine. See how many city blocks he makes it walking in the Financial District. An adult can take full responsibility for what they say, and they should deal with the consequences.

Children need to be taught. These kids should be fully made aware why they shouldn't want to wear these shirts--as should all of their peers--for the sake of patriotism.

This may work in our adult society, or it should anyway. Under 18 and the rules are totally different. It's more of an injuction of the work being done by the educational system that kid's this far along in their schooling don't see anything wrong with making a 9/11-themed class shirt.[/QUOTE]

Solid post

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Wall Street Superstar;3439232]Why does it seem like everyone, everywhere, all the time, can never be in the middle on any issue? What happened to compromising? Or common sense?

If an adult wants to walk around in a shirt like that, fine. [B]See how many city blocks he makes it walking in the Financial District.[/B] An adult can take full responsibility for what they say, and they should deal with the consequences.

This may work in our adult society, or it should anyway. Under 18 and the rules are totally different. It's more of an injuction of the work being done by the educational system that kid's this far along in their schooling don't see anything wrong with making a 9/11-themed class shirt.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, those Wall Street traders are so bad-ass

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;3439424]Yeah, those Wall Street traders are so bad-ass[/QUOTE]

You are right...I would have been better off going with a Staten Island mall reference.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry but this is all just a bunch of mumbo jumbo.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3437927]Sorry, but it's not a schools (Government's) job to decide what is, or isn't "good taste", or "acceptable" forms of legal speech.

If it's legal (i.e. no nudity ro profanity) it should be permitted. Period. There is no "right to not be offended" anywhere in our founding documents or legal system. Rightfully so.

No matter how incredably stupid it may be (and it is, obviously) it shouldn't be the schools job to make determinations of permission based on "good tatse" or the offendedness of others.

Today the "good tatse" facists stop this, and we cheer. Tomorrow they stop something else, and we go "meh, ok I guess". The next day, they will come for you.[/QUOTE]

I agree, in the same way that if I attended their HS and decided that I was going to single them out and bash their brains in with a with a baseball bat, I would have the right to a fair trial...