Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: could brad smith be a starting q.b?

could brad smith be a starting q.b?

after watching brad smith demolish the bengals defense.I started thinking,maybe smith has the tools to be a starting q.b. he has been with the jets long enough to read defenses.also he has more experience then Ainge and the other backups[not sure about clemens].so when clemens contract is up and he signs with another team.why not move smith behind sanchez and use the others as trade bait for draft choices.lets here some opinions on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by jets rooter View Post
    after watching brad smith demolish the bengals defense.I started thinking,maybe smith has the tools to be a starting q.b. he has been with the jets long enough to read defenses.also he has more experience then Ainge and the other backups[not sure about clemens].so when clemens contract is up and he signs with another team.why not move smith behind sanchez and use the others as trade bait for draft choices.lets here some opinions on this thread.
    Use who for trade bait?

No.

If he was that good of a QB then he wouldn't have been converted into a WR.

Hall Of Fame
    Yes.

But he still wouldn't be as good as Josh Freeman.

Quote Originally Posted by MDL_JET View Post
    No.

If he was that good of a QB then he wouldn't have been converted into a WR.
    maybe he could be a good q.b. if he was given a chance.the jets thought that clemens was the answer.so look at his history.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by jets rooter View Post
    when is the last time you saw him throw?? probably the most important job of a starting quarterback
    Last edited by bleedgreen03; 01-06-2010 at 03:00 PM.

Veteran
    They wouldn't move him to QB as I don't think they could use him in the Tiger formation ( I think there's some rule against moving QBs in and out but I could be wrong). He could be used as an emergency 3rd or 4th string QB even if he's listed as a WR. This is one of the reason I didn't understand carrying 4 QBs on the roster.

Practice Squad
    No.

He just needs to throw a few times, even just short passes/screens, otherwise the wildcat will become a little too predictable

Undrafted Free Agent
    Emergency #3 QB for us? Yes.

Starting QB? No.

I would say that since coming into the league, QB is one of the only positions Smith hasn't seen work at, and he wasn't a prolific passer in college. I went to college at Missouri and Brad was our QB for the 4 years I was there... and even then my friends and I debated whether or not he'd be better suited at another position like WR or RB. Smith is most definitely a weapon, but an NFL QB he is not.
    Last edited by The Green & White; 01-06-2010 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Use who for trade bait?
    ainge and oconell.

No!

Look around for 2006 NFL Draft scouting reports....Smith wasn't viewed as a QB due to lack of arm/accuracy

Veteran
    Smith has thrown one pass this year, and it was off a fake punt. Seems like starting QB would be a bit of a leap

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    No!

Look around for 2006 NFL Draft scouting reports....Smith wasn't viewed as a QB due to lack of arm/accuracy
    Exactly... accuracy and decision-making were probably the two biggest reasons he's a former QB and not a current one.

As other people have pointed out, he doesn't throw the ball well enough to play QB full-time.

Jets Insider VIP
    NO

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

yes...........for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers...

amazing. one really great game out of brad smith and posters on this board, who were ready to run him out of town during the preseason and during the losing streak now want him to start at qb! there's a reason why he hasn't played qb for the jets and a reason why the jets drafted sanchez. the only other thing i'll say is that brad smith is a good football player even if just for his special teams work and he certainly didn't deserve the grief earlier this season. but a repeat of sunday's game? i don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by sameoldjets View Post
    amazing. one really great game out of brad smith and posters on this board, who were ready to run him out of town during the preseason and during the losing streak now want him to start at qb! there's a reason why he hasn't played qb for the jets and a reason why the jets drafted sanchez. the only other thing i'll say is that brad smith is a good football player even if just for his special teams work and he certainly didn't deserve the grief earlier this season. but a repeat of sunday's game? i don't think so.
    so why not try him at runninng back.he is 6-2 220 lbs.runs a 4.4 forty.sounds good to me.

Jets Insider VIP
    NFL quarterbacks must be able to pass

thus

NO

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by sameoldjets View Post
    whats this 'sameoldjets' name you have?? never heard of it but i have heard of BRANDNEWJETS!