Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Name the product.

Name the product.

Can anyone on here name the one product where the buyer always names the price?

Jets Insider VIP
    Nut cupping services?

Jets Insider VIP
    I only wish to say I resent you for having me think so hard in a vain attempt to formulate an answer so late in the day.:banghead::bangwall:

All Pro
    Every product sold at an auction of any type. The highest bidder always gets the product at the price he offered....

And the answer is....

99% of us work for a living. Therfore we all sell a product. That product is Labor. Our Labor is a product and we sell it to the people for whom we work. It is a valuable produt...it is an invaluable product. Without Labor there would be no Wal-Mart, no Exxon-Mobil, no UPS no Fed-ex, no Hewlitt Packard, no Dell, no Apple, no Ford, no Chevy, no BestBuy no any corporation....but when was the last time you researched a company it's profit margin, how much it pays it's CEO's in wage and bonuses and then went in and said I will give you my labor but it will cost you this amount. The answer is never...it does not happen. We will negotiate on the price of a house, the price of a car and the price of many things but somehow if we want to negotiate the best price for our labor we become the bad guys...the guys that are hurting the people who need our LABOR to produce...that need our LABOR to suceed, to become wealthy. I say if any business if a viable business they should only suceed if they are willing and able to pay a fair and equitable price for the LABOR that is the lifeblood of their sucess. If they are not willing to do so then they should run the whole business on their own and see how far they get with that.

[QUOTE=marano;3438888]99% of us work for a living. Therfore we all sell a product. That product is Labor. Our Labor is a product and we sell it to the people for whom we work. It is a valuable produt...it is an invaluable product. Without Labor there would be no Wal-Mart, no Exxon-Mobil, no UPS no Fed-ex, no Hewlitt Packard, no Dell, no Apple, no Ford, no Chevy, no BestBuy no any corporation....but when was the last time you researched a company it's profit margin, how much it pays it's CEO's in wage and bonuses and then went in and said I will give you my labor but it will cost you this amount. The answer is never...it does not happen. We will negotiate on the price of a house, the price of a car and the price of many things but somehow if we want to negotiate the best price for our labor we become the bad guys...the guys that are hurting the people who need our LABOR to produce...that need our LABOR to suceed, to become wealthy. I say if any business if a viable business they should only suceed if they are willing and able to pay a fair and equitable price for the LABOR that is the lifeblood of their sucess. If they are not willing to do so then they should run the whole business on their own and see how far they get with that.[/QUOTE]

That sounds great. Yet most company's are eliminating labor as much as they can through robotics, computerization etc.

The "McDonaldization" of a process is key. Take OUT the labor part best you can to increase efficiency, profit etc.

I fear for Labor. The next generation will find it tougher than the last generation in my view. Think about a small insurance company, years past they needed file clerks, telephone receptionist etc....

Not anymore.

the reason the middle class is being squeezed is very apparant by looking at how auto's, PC's, etc... are made.

Less labor. More industrialization.

All League
    [QUOTE=marano;3438888]99% of us work for a living. Therfore we all sell a product. That product is Labor. Our Labor is a product and we sell it to the people for whom we work. It is a valuable produt...it is an invaluable product. Without Labor there would be no Wal-Mart, no Exxon-Mobil, no UPS no Fed-ex, no Hewlitt Packard, no Dell, no Apple, no Ford, no Chevy, no BestBuy no any corporation....but when was the last time you researched a company it's profit margin, how much it pays it's CEO's in wage and bonuses and then went in and said I will give you my labor but it will cost you this amount. The answer is never...it does not happen. We will negotiate on the price of a house, the price of a car and the price of many things but somehow if we want to negotiate the best price for our labor we become the bad guys...the guys that are hurting the people who need our LABOR to produce...that need our LABOR to suceed, to become wealthy. I say if any business if a viable business they should only suceed if they are willing and able to pay a fair and equitable price for the LABOR that is the lifeblood of their sucess. If they are not willing to do so then they should run the whole business on their own and see how far they get with that.[/QUOTE]

Thats a very cute theory. Too bad that when Unions decided that it was every high school dropout on the assembly lines "RIGHT" to make $40 an hour with full medical and dental for life and a ridiculous pension when most people were working for $8.50 an hour it wound up destroying the very industry and jobs in which the Union membership worked. Way to go, UAW!! Buy Foreign! And before anyone starts crying how "Toyotas are built in Tennessee", Toyota is still HQ'ed in Japan, and if you want to see the results of "Union Barganing" just go look at Michigan, Ohio, Illinois, and the rest of the "Rust Belt"....where American Industry USED to be, where we USED to build things. No more.

It works both ways. Everybody has the RIGHT to work in safe conditions (well, except cops, firemen, and soldiers...maybe crab fishermen), the RIGHT to not get mistreated or harrassed, and the RIGHT to fair compensation, but you don't have the RIGHT to dictate to the guy who gave you employment what you should make. You do have the RIGHT to state your case and try and negotiate, but thats about it. Don't think the job pays enough? Don't work there. Can't get a better job, work harder.
    Last edited by Jet_Engine1; 01-06-2010 at 11:19 PM.

Jets Insider VIP

When I go to a gas station, a fast food restaurant, a Walmart, etc. where people are supposedly not being paid a "fair wage" I still see hundreds of people showing up to punch the clock.

Why do all these people do that if they're not being paid what they're worth? Answer: They ARE being paid what their time and effort is worth.

Who determines what a fair wage is by the way? Answer: the marketplace

What about the fact that they can't go someplace else to work? Answer: THEY CAN. They can even start their own business in this free and capitalist society with little start-up cost. If they can do something better, faster, cheaper then I want them to and I'll be their first customer!

Labor is a commodity. My elementary school son can bag groceries, turn a screwdriver and type on a cash register. I'm not diminishing that this work is important and has to be done but there's a supply and demand equation at work here. If someone stocking shelves were paid the same as a tax accountant what would be the incentive to go through college, get an advanced degree and earn a CPA? You can't swing a stick and hit 50 brain surgeons but you sure can find thousands of people who want to hammer a nail or stock a shelf and think it should pay $25/hr.

Markets are very efficient and do a remarkable job of finding optimum prices, wages, etc.
    Last edited by jetstream23; 01-07-2010 at 12:13 AM.

[QUOTE=jetstream23;3439087]When I go to a gas station, a fast food restaurant, a Walmart, etc. where people are supposedly not being paid a "fair wage" I still see hundreds of people showing up to punch the clock.

Why do all these people do that if they're not being paid what they're worth? Answer: They ARE being paid what their time and effort is worth.

Who determines what a fair wage is by the way? Answer: the marketplace

What about the fact that they can't go someplace else to work? Answer: THEY CAN. They can even start their own business in this free and capitalist society with little start-up cost. If they can do it better, faster, cheaper then I want them to and I'll be their first customer!

Labor is a commodity. My elementary school son can bag groceries, turn a screwdriver and type on a cash register. I'm not diminishing that this work is important and has to be done but there's a supply and demand equation at work here. If someone stocking shelves were paid the same as a tax accountant what would be the incentive to go through college, get an advanced degree and earn a CPA?

Markets are very efficient and do a remarkable job of finding optimum prices, wages, etc.[/QUOTE]

Capitalism, free markets, and common sense won't get their chance again for (count 'em) three more years.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=SUJets1988;3439094]Capitalism, free markets, and common sense won't get their chance again for (count 'em) three more years.[/QUOTE]

Don't get me started on that. This will get ugly fast.

[QUOTE=jetstream23;3439095]Don't get me started on that. This will get ugly fast.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, your post just made too much sense.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Jet_Engine1;3439082]...most people were working for $8.50 an hour it wound up destroying the very industry and jobs in which the Union membership worked....[/QUOTE]

How dare people want to get paid what it costs to buy a very nice umbrella stand! :steamin:

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3439277]How dare people want to get paid what it costs to buy a very nice umbrella stand! :steamin:[/QUOTE]

Overblown sense of entitlement?

[QUOTE=Jet_Engine1;3439082]Thats a very cute theory. Too bad that when Unions decided that it was every high school dropout on the assembly lines "RIGHT" to make $40 an hour with full medical and dental for life and a ridiculous pension when most people were working for $8.50 an hour it wound up destroying the very industry and jobs in which the Union membership worked. Way to go, UAW!! Buy Foreign! And before anyone starts crying how "Toyotas are built in Tennessee", Toyota is still HQ'ed in Japan, and if you want to see the results of "Union Barganing" just go look at Michigan, Ohio, Illinois, and the rest of the "Rust Belt"....where American Industry USED to be, where we USED to build things. No more.

It works both ways. Everybody has the RIGHT to work in safe conditions (well, except cops, firemen, and soldiers...maybe crab fishermen), the RIGHT to not get mistreated or harrassed, and the RIGHT to fair compensation, but you don't have the RIGHT to dictate to the guy who gave you employment what you should make. You do have the RIGHT to state your case and try and negotiate, but thats about it. Don't think the job pays enough? Don't work there. Can't get a better job, work harder.[/QUOTE]

The only place unions will still exist in a few years is government workers because they have no limit on how high they can tax.

Look at the high union/high government states. People are leaving.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=quantum;3439349]Overblown sense of entitlement?[/QUOTE]

I'll stick with the union crane operator who makes $70/hr. Julio the Day Laborer from the Home Depot parking lot would probably kill a ton of people because of his lack of mastery of the English language. :P

Jets Insider VIP
    It warms my heart to see that some people still get it. Thanks to everyone who set this thread straight.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=marano;3438821]Can anyone on here name the one product where the buyer always names the price?[/QUOTE]

The buyer names the price of [U]all[/U] products. Without demand, the most expensive, shiny, newfangled any-widget costs exactly zero. As demand goes up for our most expensive, shiny, newfangled any-widget, the price of it will raise accordingly. If one person wants it, the cost will be *still* exceedingly reasonable. If one-hundred million want it, well then, the price goes up exponentially.

Everything is negotiable. I negotiate the price of my labor on every single job I do. If I don't like the compensation, it's quite simple, I don't do the work. If I had a piss-poor skillset that only paid me squat for my skills, then I'd get another set of skills.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=freestater;3439411]The buyer names the price of [U]all[/U] products. [/QUOTE]

he he

[QUOTE]Chase begins charging a $10 monthly fee to 400,000 customers who have large balances but little account activity.

Bank of America announces it will charge cardholders who pay in full each month an annual fee of $29 - $99 a year.

Citigroup starts charging annual fees to cardholders who donít charge more than a specific amount (typically $2,400 a year) on their cards.[/QUOTE]

All Pro
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3439277]How dare people want to get paid what it costs to buy a very nice umbrella stand! :steamin:[/QUOTE]

What a brilliant idea you just gave me, let's pay the people who make umbrella stands with umbrella stands! :yes:

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Jungle Shift Jet;3439811]What a brilliant idea you just gave me, let's pay the people who make umbrella stands with umbrella stands! :yes:[/QUOTE]

That's a great idea...because, ya know, people who turn screwdrivers can be easily replaced by 3rd graders. I mean, look at what I did for a living! My daughter can replace an 8 section marine steam boiler in between episodes of Dora the Explorer and The Backyardigans...:D