Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Name the product.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    I tell you what, not everyone has to go to college to have a decent living nor do they have to be union. Down here a person with a skill (plumber, HVAC, electrician, etc.) who does a good job is NEVER out of work.

Hall Of Fame
    I would play NFL football for free.

Well, the FIRST play I'd do for free, after that I want MILLIONS :D

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=JStokes;3439968]I would play NFL football for free.

Well, the FIRST play I'd do for free, after that I want MILLIONS :D[/QUOTE]

After the first play, you'd be paying millions. In hospital care.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;3440010]After the first play, you'd be paying millions. In hospital care.[/QUOTE]

True. I am not one of the united fat dudes of JI :D
    Last edited by JStokes; 01-07-2010 at 02:55 PM.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=freestater;3439411]The buyer names the price of [U]all[/U] products. Without demand, the most expensive, shiny, newfangled any-widget costs exactly zero. As demand goes up for our most expensive, shiny, newfangled any-widget, the price of it will raise accordingly. If one person wants it, the cost will be *still* exceedingly reasonable. If one-hundred million want it, well then, the price goes up exponentially.

Everything is negotiable. I negotiate the price of my labor on every single job I do. If I don't like the compensation, it's quite simple, I don't do the work. If I had a piss-poor skillset that only paid me squat for my skills, then I'd get another set of skills.[/QUOTE]

This isn't correct, even if Marano was asking the question about the market as a whole, which would be kind of a silly question. Your answer assumes several things: there's only one supplier, there is no adjustment for efficiency in production, that there are many markets for products, not usually a single market (see drug pricing by country, or cars, or practically anything), the cost of labor is constant, the impact of marginal value, etc. For some products, oligopolies, subsidies, tariffs, demand structure (how vertical?) has a serious impact on pricing.

But my answer for any individual buyer was correct, despite not getting credit for it :steamin: The winning bidder at an auction ALWAYS sets the price of the product being purchased.....

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=long island leprechaun;3440024]This isn't correct, even if Marano was asking the question about the market as a whole, which would be kind of a silly question. Your answer assumes several things: there's only one supplier, there is no adjustment for efficiency in production, that there are many markets for products, not usually a single market (see drug pricing by country, or cars, or practically anything), the cost of labor is constant, the impact of marginal value, etc. For some products, oligopolies, subsidies, tariffs, demand structure (how vertical?) has a serious impact on pricing.
    [/QUOTE]

true dat. I was about to get into the supply side of the equation, but thought better of compounding what was already too laborious an answer. My example assumes a limitless supply of most expensive, shiny, newfangled any-widgets. External forces that queer the natural marketplace I omitted out of sheer disgust. :D

[QUOTE=marano;3438888].....went in and said I will give you my labor but it will cost you this amount. The answer is never...it does not happen.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't?

I would have to question your source on that, as in my professional life, and the lives of almost every other professional I know, there was indeed some negotiation on the compensation of the labor offered, at the time of hiring. Many also have found themselves asking for more as theri work responabillities change over time.

Generally, it is only lowly paid, low-skill work that is "Set in stone" at X Dollars/Hour type rates, set in advance with no chance at change. usually it's possible because supply of labor far exceeds demand for those low-value jobs.

Beyond that, the negotiation is clear in many cases before hand. Potential Employer Advertises Job at X Rate. We potential Employees have the freedom and choice to persue it (and perhaps negotiate it higher at interview) or not.

Beyond that, anyone who works for a Union collectively abandons their personal negotation rights, in favor of their collective power/rates. But those rates are still negoiated between labor and management.

Negotiation for the value of labor happens all the time, so much so it's routine. I really cannot understand a claim that no one ever negotiates for the value of their labor. Such an idea is stunningly inexperienced IMO.
    Last edited by Warfish; 01-07-2010 at 03:48 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3439804]he he[/QUOTE]

that's be a great example if everyone had to use Chase banks exclusively. There are other choices.

Jets Insider VIP
    How come everyone gets mad when a group of plumbers band together to secure a decent wage...but nobody gets mad when all the realtors in the country meet together and all set their commission rates the same?

Oh...that's right. It's because they aren't stupid f***s who work with their hands for a living. They wear suits and stuff, so they are a great value to our illustrious society. :P

All Pro
    [QUOTE=freestater;3440133]true dat. I was about to get into the supply side of the equation, but thought better of compounding what was already too laborious an answer. My example assumes a limitless supply of most expensive, shiny, newfangled any-widgets. External forces that queer the natural marketplace I omitted out of sheer disgust. :D[/QUOTE]

LOL. I wonder if illegal markets (black markets) are actually more representative of true supply and demand. For example, prostitution. How does that market arrive at its pricing (not that I would know personally :D)? And by the way, why do fetish DVD's cost so much more than the usual humpty-dumpty stuff? These are questions that have kept me up at night.... :)

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=chesapeakejet;3439947]I tell you what, not everyone has to go to college to have a decent living nor do they have to be union. Down here a person with a skill (plumber, HVAC, electrician, etc.) who does a good job is NEVER out of work.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. For me personally, I believe my work is in the top 10 percent thus a UNION wage would not be right. Why should we all be paid the same?

If I were an electrician or Plumber, I would not join a union.

I would work my a$$ off, charge top fees and back it up with GREAT service on the job and after.

I would nver leave a job citing "oh I am on break etc...".

I would do 10 jobs a day, speed between appointments and have a loyal following.

ALL of whom pay on the spot because I work my a$$ off for them. NOT the union.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3440179]How come everyone gets mad when a group of plumbers band together to secure a decent wage...but nobody gets mad when all the realtors in the country meet together and all set their commission rates the same?

Oh...that's right. It's because [B]they aren't stupid f***s [/B]who work with their hands for a living. They wear suits and stuff, so they are a great value to our illustrious society. :P[/QUOTE]

Uh, how many real estate brokers do you know?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;3440204][B]ALL of whom pay on the spot[/B] because I work my a$$ off for them. NOT the union.[/QUOTE]

LMFAO!!!!

That is, what we call in the business, a pipe dream.

[QUOTE=JetPotato]Uh, how many real estate brokers do you know?[/QUOTE]

He he...you do have me there :D

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3440226]LMFAO!!!!

That is, what we call in the business, [B]a pipe dream[/B].

He he...you do have me there :D[/QUOTE]

Do we have to bring Tom Brady's preferences into [I]every[/I] thread? :rolleyes:

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;3440233]Do we have to bring Tom Brady's preferences into [I]every[/I] thread? :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/nbe0364l.jpg[/IMG]

Schluberator & Gadfly

In the northeast, yeah, you're right.

What the go getters do down here is do an exceptional job, then when business warrants it, hire another guy, then another, etc. The business grows and grows and next thing you know, you're livin' on Hostess Street eatin' ho-ho's!

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=chesapeakejet;3440269]In the northeast, yeah, you're right.

What the go getters do down here is do an exceptional job, then when business warrants it, hire another guy, then another, etc. The business grows and grows and next thing you know, you're livin' on Hostess Street eatin' ho-ho's![/QUOTE]

I did the union and non-union thing. Non-union is GREAT for residential stuff. But there aren't very many non-union plumbing outfits that could plumb, say, the new stadium or a 90 story building in the heart of a large city. The reason why non-union guys don't get, and don't expect, to get paid that much is because they usually only work on smaller stuff.

Plumbing a house is easy. Piping a rooftop chiller with 16" DWV lines is a bit more complicated.

Besides. People foam when they hear a plumber is making 40/hr. But is that really that much? 80k a year?

Schluberator & Gadfly
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3440289]I did the union and non-union thing. Non-union is GREAT for residential stuff. But there aren't very many non-union plumbing outfits that could plumb, say, the new stadium or a 90 story building in the heart of a large city. The reason why non-union guys don't get, and don't expect, to get paid that much is because they usually only work on smaller stuff.

Plumbing a house is easy. Piping a rooftop chiller with 16" DWV lines is a bit more complicated.

Besides. People foam when they hear a plumber is making 40/hr. But is that really that much? 80k a year?[/QUOTE]
    Maybe not up there. I guess I'm in the minority. I don't begrudge a plumber their labor rate. I can't do that stuff.

Jets Insider VIP

No way...... in residential work, they give a credit card, check or cash!!!!

NO TiKKY...No Shirty.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3440289]I did the union and non-union thing. Non-union is GREAT for residential stuff. But there aren't very many non-union plumbing outfits that could plumb, say, the new stadium or a 90 story building in the heart of a large city. The reason why non-union guys don't get, and don't expect, to get paid that much is because they usually only work on smaller stuff.

Besides. People foam when they hear a plumber is making 40/hr. But is that really that much? 80k a year?[/QUOTE]

One of my clients is from NJ, is a licensed plumber here in NC. He makes about 160K a year after running expenses through the biz. It is him and a PT helper.

He is smart, specializes in restaurants and residential and turns down work that is NOT something he can do fast and well.

I run my CPA biz the same way. I do VERY limted tax work and make a nice living. I turn down a LOT of work because I can't do it fast etc....