Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Alabama's championship as valid as Jets making playoffs? Or, did both "back in"?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Is Alabama's championship as valid as Jets making playoffs? Or, did both "back in"?

So Alabama faces a team who loses it's starting QB in the 1st quarter and essentially rides a defense and running game to victory while handcuffing its QB. The Crimson Tide's QB threw the ball for a grand total of....58 yards on 6 of 11 passing with 0 TD and 0 INT.

Does this kinda game sound a little familiar??? Sure, Texas didn't lose its starting QB by choice, but for a while there a freshman QB had Texas within 4 points with less than 4 minutes to play. Shouldn't have Alabama been cruising at that point?

Two key differences between the Jets/Cincinnati game last week and Alabama/Texas from tonight:

1. The Bengals QB, Carson Palmer, played into the 2nd half.
    2. The Bengals scored ZERO points all game.

Other than that, this almost looked like a textbook Jets kinda game - Minimize the QB, rush the snot outta the ball, and rely on good defense.

So, if the Jets didn't "earn" their victory last Sunday night according to the national media either did Alabama tonight in my opinion!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    They injured the starter. Injuries are a part of the game...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Backing in" means losing and still getting in. You can't back into a championship.

The Jets didn't lose and get in the playoffs on some weird rule or tiebreaker. They won games.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking the same watching the game last night. I wonder what fatboy would say about this. Does it "count".

By the way, how soft is Colt McCoy? Not wanting back in the game for fear he could hurt his NFL career. Bad.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well Bama went 13-0 and whipped #1 Florida in the SEC championship. They deserved the title last night

Texas should have been better prepared, end of story.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    HUH???? The Jets won games! The beat the snot out of the Texans. ...pounced on Manning and Cincy. ..they won the games they needed to. They beat 7 500 or above team this year. Backing into the playoffs is a Herm-esq term. ...Rexy don't back into anything. Go tell Revis he was backed into the playoffs. Go tell Harris. ...tell Jone. ...this team did despite some high TO games, they stepped up to the plate.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mike Francesca is already prepping his monologue telling us how important it is to understand Alabama doesn't deserve any credit.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    I was thinking the same watching the game last night. I wonder what fatboy would say about this. Does it "count".

By the way, how soft is Colt McCoy? Not wanting back in the game for fear he could hurt his NFL career. Bad.
    Where did you come up with that??? He couldn't feel his arm. Had nothing to do with his pro career. You are clueless on this.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

McCoy wanted back in. Don't make **** up.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would say both wins are tainted.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    I would say both wins are tainted.
    Alabama's win will always have people saying "what if".

The Jets have a chance on Saturday to "validate" their playoff berth. If they win it will quiet a lot of people saying they do not deserve to be in the playoffs.....Alabama will always have people doubting their title.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkSackExchange View Post
    HUH???? The Jets won games! The beat the snot out of the Texans. ...pounced on Manning and Cincy. ..they won the games they needed to. They beat 7 500 or above team this year. Backing into the playoffs is a Herm-esq term. ...Rexy don't back into anything. Go tell Revis he was backed into the playoffs. Go tell Harris. ...tell Jone. ...this team did despite some high TO games, they stepped up to the plate.
    Im surprised this arguement wasnt brought up more....yea the jets blew some games early/mid year and vs atl, but still look at some of their victories.

Houston on road, rookie 1st start
    Pats, minus welker, but still a tough game
    Tennessee, look how they finished, still a quality win

And most importantly carolina. People considered them a bad team when we beat them, but after that game, they pounded francessas giants, and beat minnesota AND new orleans.

Plus while we did lose the games, all of our losses were close. Im not saying peyton coming out didnt help, but we kept it close enough when he was in, to take advantage when painter came in.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Colt wanted back in the game in the 3rd quarter. Mack Brown would not let him return to play. Get your facts correct before making such an uninformed statement. McCoy is tough and durable. Wonder why he's played and won more games than any other UT QB in history?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wall Street Superstar View Post
    "Backing in" means losing and still getting in. You can't back into a championship.

The Jets didn't lose and get in the playoffs on some weird rule or tiebreaker. They won games.

Exacytly. Backing In to me would be had we lost to the Bengals but still made the playoffs because 4 other teams that needed to lose, lost......thats backing in. So fug the media and the Jets haters.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    After watching the game I have no doubt that Texas would have won by at least a couple of touchdowns if McCoy played the whole game.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario View Post
    Well Bama went 13-0 and whipped #1 Florida in the SEC championship. They deserved the title last night

Texas should have been better prepared, end of story.
    You're correct sir! Texas should have been more prepared for an injury to their best player. Mack is a dumb a$$.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Where did you come up with that??? He couldn't feel his arm. Had nothing to do with his pro career. You are clueless on this.
    They said it during the game that he was advised against going back in to protect his future. I did not make anything up. I could care a less to be honest.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TexJet View Post
    Colt wanted back in the game in the 3rd quarter. Mack Brown would not let him return to play. Get your facts correct before making such an uninformed statement. McCoy is tough and durable. Wonder why he's played and won more games than any other UT QB in history?
    True.....all you have to do is watch his post-game interview. That should answer any questions about him wanting to get back in the game.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    They said it during the game that he was advised against going back in to protect his future. I did not make anything up. I could care a less to be honest.
    Mack Brown would not let him return to play, period!

On another topic related to the game. If the Jets want a kick-ass slot receiver - look no further than Jordan Shipley. Good size, speed, and great hands. 2nd or, more likely, 3rd rounder in next years draft.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Injuries are part of the game. Period. Alabama knocked McCoy out of there. Football is a contact sport - remember.
    Of course, the SEC is such a soft conference. 10 teams in bowls. Florida would have beaten Texas as well.
    And BTW, McCoy was not that impressive against Nebraska in the Big 12 title game.