Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Page 2 Dis from Bill Simmons (merged)

The funny thing is where his rules work against his arguments....

He says there's something to the "No respect" theory, then dismisses the Jets. Umm, is there a team less respected in the playoffs then the Jets? Vegas has them at the longest odds. Some Fans and media say they shouldn't be there, Ocho Cinco put down Revis all week last week, Cedric Benson doesn't know who David Harris is..... if there's a less respected team out there, I've yet to see it.

Nevermind, most of his ideas on what it takes to win, he listed 10 things (9 after his pot-shot at Indianapolis), and only 2 of them didn't really describe the Jets.

But he is what he is, a Boston homer who would never be able to admit that the Jets are pretty good.

Also from the article:
    [QUOTE]The importance of the Ten Things You Need To Do To Win A Super Bowl In 2010 goes like this: (1) throw the ball; (2) protect your QB; (3) defend the pass; (4) rush the passer; (5) win the turnover battle; (6) don't let any unit of your special teams consistently murder you; (7) don't let your coach kill you with boneheaded decisions or poor clock management; (8) run the ball; (9) stop the run; and (10) don't give away a chance to finish 19-0 in a way that makes your fans feel like you just whipped horse manure at them.[/QUOTE]

Simmons’ bias is definitely showing this week. I think he concerned himself so much with the Jets’ deficiencies in the first item (which he has a point and is probably their biggest weakness) that he completely overlooked that the Jets do pretty well if not outright excel at the 2nd, 3rd and 4th items on the list. Not to mention the 8th and 9th which kind of tend to somewhat neutralize an opponent’s ability to fulfill No.1. Plus, they’ve reined Sanchez’s interceptions in a bit. The turnover differential over the past six games is + 7 (item No. 5). So, in all but the first of his own criteria for what a team needs to do to win a SB, the Jets rank somewhere between best in the league to at least Average.

One of his revelations in the article is that “The most potent force in January and February is the ‘Nobody Believes In Us’ theory”. The Jets are the ultimate “Nobody Believes In Us Team”. They may be hot right now but how much criticism have they been hearing about not belonging in the playoffs and how they only got there by beating backups two weeks in a row? And I think Rex is definitely feeding into that mentality by inviting more of that kind of criticism to motivate them further. The Jets have so much to prove.

[QUOTE=Ven0m;3441941]The funny thing is where his rules work against his arguments....

He says there's something to the "No respect" theory, then dismisses the Jets. Umm, is there a team less respected in the playoffs then the Jets? Vegas has them at the longest odds. Some Fans and media say they shouldn't be there, Ocho Cinco put down Revis all week last week, Cedric Benson doesn't know who David Harris is..... if there's a less respected team out there, I've yet to see it.

Nevermind, most of his ideas on what it takes to win, he listed 10 things (9 after his pot-shot at Indianapolis), and only 2 of them didn't really describe the Jets.

But he is what he is, a Boston homer who would never be able to admit that the Jets are pretty good.[/QUOTE]
    Beat me to it. I agree completley.

I stopped reading that a$$clowns column long ago because of the constant Jet-bashing. Biggest Pats homer there is.

All Pro
    Get indignant if you want guys, he raises valid points. He's right that winning in the playoffs this decade is about passing and stopping the pass, and he's right that there is a strong possibility we will have a hard time scoring.

What he doesn't seem to realize is that they're gonna have a hard time scoring too.

Veteran
    I was so pissed off after having read this article that I emailed Simmons to tell him to that his hatred of the Jets is way too transparent and completely undermines his analyses. Not that he's going to likely read my email, but I had to get it off my chest. He's been bashing the Jets all year, but this was by far the worst.

Honestly the article makes a lot of valid points and references. I think he is underestimating Sanchez's talents and abilities but I don't think anyone can completely dismiss his points. I still think we have a heck of a shot of winning the game tomorrow and as long as our defense holds and Sanchez doesn't have an INT parade we will be in good shape.

After reading this article a second time....
    I actually think his analysis although presented in a bitter language is actually correct. But i do not think all this assumptions or predictions or guesses are correct. He is guessing that Brad Smith is "miss"...
    I know i am not the first one to say this, but the JETS have relied on the running game to get this far and if that does not come through we could possibly come out at the short end of it. But on the other hand the JETS have the ability to shut down the passing game of the opponents.
    I think the JETS coaching staff realizes that they need more variation and weaponry on offense too and probably that's why Rex Ryan threw in the option of having Brad Smith throw in some of these wildcat formations to add more variation and weaponry to our offense.
    Last edited by JetsFanInDenver; 01-08-2010 at 06:19 PM.

[QUOTE=shuler82;3441530]also from his column today.. which i did get a laugh out of..

The question remains: Instead of shelling out dough for season tickets (and in some cases a seat license as well), why not just put the money toward a killer TV and watch your team from home? Is it really better to watch a Pats game from the third deck, a million miles from the field, than it is sitting on your sofa in front of a 50-inch plasma with HD? You can even invite your friends, or rotate houses every week. Is it really that much of a dropoff?

(The short answer: no. The long answer: No, but by remaining at home, if you're a family guy who frequently thinks about things like, "I'm trapped, why did I do this to myself?" and "Instead of getting married and having four kids, I wish I had just driven my car off a bridge at 115 miles an hour," you might need those 10 getaways per year to recharge your batteries, have a few too many cold ones, smoke a few cigarettes that your wife would have never let you smoke, and maybe even hit on a heavyset girl wearing a Mark Sanchez jersey whose eyes are two different sizes. Or as married Jets fans call it, "me time.")[/QUOTE]

I have to say that Simmons guy is right once again. I would rather prefer to stay at home in front of my LCD (or plasma if thats what you have) and watch the game or go to a bar.
    But i am not a family man. So i do not relate to your predicament.

[QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3442059]ON SECOND THOUGHT ...

I can also see where the organization does not want their young franchise QB going into the off season feeling like he cost the Jets a shot at the SB by throwing two or three picks, with the NY media pounding him as well.

There's a chance the organization would rather lose playing conservative than expose their rookie QB to that type criticism, because you know the NY media would have a field day.

But if we play if close to the vest and lose, Sanchez can say okay, my team made it to the playoffs my first year, now if I study hard and give the coaching staff a reason to put more of the onus on me next year I believe we can take this thing all the way .. without the burden of feeling like [B]HE[/B] was personally responsible for his teams playoff exit.

[/QUOTE]

I would agree with that approach on a team where the Head Coach has been in place for years like the situation was when Bill Cowher was when Big Ben made it to the playoffs for the first time.
    But with a rookie coach and a chest thumping guy with a "go for it" attitude that might necessarily not be the case. I would thinkl the coaching staff wants to go as far as possible. Either they improvise there way all the way to the end or put the ball in Sanchez's hand to make some critical plays. Maybe the first play our offense run is a play action pass deep to Braylon Edwards for a TD......just to get it started.

All Pro
    I've never liked Simmons. He's a total unabashed Boston homer who will never give a New York team its due. I expect nothing less from the clown.

I couldn't care less about what his unfunny ass has to say about the Jets or anything else.

[QUOTE=Ven0m;3441941]The funny thing is where his rules work against his arguments....

But he is what he is, a Boston homer who would never be able to admit that the Jets are pretty good.[/QUOTE]

Venom I coulnt agree more. I was introduced to his column and podcast about two years ago and immeditately thought he was great. This past year I have grown to hate him more and more. In his latest podcast he completely dismissed the Jets as being unworthy of a playoff spot until a stat guy came on and said the Jets were largely better than the Bengals statistically and then he went silent. Not to mention former GM Mike Lombardi was praising the Jets and the troll like Simmons simply reasoned that Lombardi liking the Jets was more the reason for him to bet against them. I cant wait till the Jets stomp on Cincy so I can write a longwided hate filled email to the biggest hack on ESPN, the guy who gets paid to write about basketball and all things Boston with no other sport knowledge.

[QUOTE=Bronxville Jets Fan;3441992]I was so pissed off after having read this article that I emailed Simmons to tell him to that his hatred of the Jets is way too transparent and completely undermines his analyses. Not that he's going to likely read my email, but I had to get it off my chest. He's been bashing the Jets all year, but this was by far the worst.[/QUOTE]

I agree, in his podcasts all year he has failed to give the Jets an ounce of credit outside of Darelle Revis and even that was a small mention. When he cant beat his chest about Boston sports or basketball or his ridiculous aspirations to guess NFL lines, then he has absolutely nothing to talk about. Dont get me wrong if I got paid to talk NY sports I would be thrilled but just because this troll is supposed to be the Boston sports guru doesnt mean he needs a space at ESPN.

If it makes you feel better, most (well, many) Pats fans hate the guy too. He writes in an entertaining way, but he's totally out of touch now that he's in L.A. and his football knowledge is laughable. His little hissy-fit fights with the Boston radio station and barstoolsports.com blog shows what kind of ***** he really is. Hey Bill, we get that Super Bowl 42 was a let down. Let it go, *******.

[QUOTE=Tony Danza;3442409]Venom I coulnt agree more. I was introduced to his column and podcast about two years ago and immeditately thought he was great. This past year I have grown to hate him more and more. In his latest podcast he completely dismissed the Jets as being unworthy of a playoff spot until a stat guy came on and said the Jets were largely better than the Bengals statistically and then he went silent. Not to mention former GM Mike Lombardi was praising the Jets and the troll like Simmons simply reasoned that Lombardi liking the Jets was more the reason for him to bet against them. I cant wait till the Jets stomp on Cincy so I can write a longwided hate filled email to the biggest hack on ESPN, [B]the guy who gets paid to write about basketball and all things Boston with no other sport knowledge[/B].[/QUOTE]

Wow, you nailed it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

[QUOTE=JET Setting from Scranton;3441505][B][U][SIZE="7"]F*** Simmons[/SIZE][/U][/B]

Things changed once the spread offense took off, the NFL cracked down on violent hits to receivers and quarterbacks, and Bill Polian's Chris Crocker-esque whining after the 2004 season's Pats-Colts playoff game led to the NFL cracking down on physical play from defensive backs. The rest was history. No lead is safe; no over-under is too high. That's why I laughed when I read Rex Ryan's quote after his Jets thrashed Cincinnati on Sunday night:

"We're dangerous. You have to be able to run the football this time of year, and you have to be able to play defense, and we can do that better than any team in the league. That gives us a chance in every game, no matter who we play."

Umm … not really. You need to be able to throw the ball, Rex. You need to make big plays. You need to be able to play from behind. The rules reward a team that does those three things. That's what makes Philly so intriguing. Like Nash's Suns, they don't have a big guy, they can't protect the rim and they need to make 3s (or, in this case, connect on some long plays) to have a chance. Nash's Suns know if their 3s aren't falling, they will lose. McNabb's Eagles know if their long passes aren't connecting, they will lose. But if either team gets hot … look out.

And that's what Rex Ryan doesn't seem to understand. The Jets don't have a chance in every game "this time of year," because "this time" isn't like the other times. There's a reason Dan Marino spends every waking moment wishing he was born in 1981, not 1961.

And now, the Round 1 picks …

BENGALS (-2.5) over Jets

Key Player: I don't know what kind of quarterback Mark Sanchez will be five years from now. But if I had to LOSE a 2009 playoff game and could pick any starting QB, and JaMarcus Russell was trapped under a rock, I'd think long and hard about the Sanchize. Football Outsiders had him ranked 38th out of 46 QBs; generous considering he was in the cushiest situation of any bad QB. Four starters finished with lower QB ratings than Sanchez's 63.0 (Matt Stafford, Josh Freeman, Delhomme and Russell), but none was protected like the Jets protected Sanchez. They ran the ball a league-high 607 times (Carolina was second at 525) and threw the ball a league-low 393 times (Seattle was second at 441). Of their 280 first downs, only 131 came from passing (third-lowest total in the league). Most rookies improve as the season goes along, but Sanchez seemed to get worse as the weather turned.

First half: 1,443 yards, 67.6 QB rating, 8 TDs, 10 INTs.
    Second half (missed a game): 1,001 yards, 56.6 QB rating, 4 TDs, 10 INTs.

Starting with Week 12, the Jets moved into "Screw it, we're living and dying with our rushing game" mode and refused to take any chances with Sanchez, even though opponents were stacking the line and doing everything but bringing out signs that said "THROW IT, YOU WUSS!" to taunt them. Against Carolina: 17 passes, 39 runs. Against Buffalo: 17 passes, 43 runs. The telling game was Week 15 against Atlanta, when the Falcons stuffed the run and Sanchez HAD to throw and the Jets mustered only seven points. He just couldn't make them pay. I see a repeat in Cincinnati. The Jets want to make it through this game without Sanchez having to make any plays … but the Bengals know this.

Possible Playoff Doppelganger: Colts-Chiefs from 2006. Everyone thought Larry Johnson was going to run all over the Colts, but the Colts went into that game thinking, "If Trent Green is gonna beat us, fine, but we're not losing this game because Larry Johnson ran all over us." He didn't. And hey, it's not like the Bengals are the '99 Rams, but if both teams are relatively similar, I'll take the experienced QB over the rookie QB every time.

Possible Tragic Figure Not Named Sanchez: Brad Smith.

Hero You Might Not Have Expected: Brad Smith. He's the hit-or-miss guy of this game. I'm guessing "miss."

Relevant E-mail (courtesy of Paul in Haledon, N.J.): "When we're getting killed by Cincy on Saturday, I'm going to think back to the moment I knew we were screwed -- Fireman Ed making a cameo on 'Inside The NFL.'"

This Game As a "Jersey Shore" Character: The Sammi Sweetheart/Ronnie relationship. Every time you see them on the screen, you're hoping they show someone else. I'm just not sure which team is Sammi and which team is Ronnie.

Theories in Play: Cincy qualifies for both "Nobody Believed in Us!" and Paul Crewe Memorial "We've come too far to stop now" status. It's a tight-knit team that suffered two tragedies during the season; you can almost imagine Marvin Lewis' eyes welling up with tears during the pregame speech. I like home teams playing with emotion in the playoffs. They have one quality game in them before San Diego obliterates them in Round 2.

The Pick: Bengals 20, Jets 6.

More here: [url]http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/100108[/url][/QUOTE]

Ok

I love when Los Jets make fuggers who give us no chance look like morons.

I think he's funny.

You'll rarely hear him on radio or see him on TV however, because he has THE most annoying voice ever. Like fingernails on a chalkboard.

Oh, by the way, he got ALL FOUR games wrong this weekend.

That's hard to do!

All League
    just so we are clear, this jerk off went 0-4 this weekend. When he used to write columns on a frequent basis, his goal each season was to be perfect for the playoffs. Well, he now has a chance to do that in a slightly different way.

I rarely read his columns, but I like his podcasts, Cousin Sal and Jack-O are always a great listen. i will enjoy this week when Cousin Sal and Simmons were both shocked that the Bengals were OONLY a 2 1/2 pt favorite.

They are a good listen. Yes he is a homer and I hate Boston as much as the next guy, but I think he does a decent job of bringing in guys like Jack-O to balance out his NE swagger. When he has a Pats homer on or a Celtics homer on, he is a tough listen. But when he is talking about a 3rd party team hes not a bad listen.

Unfortunately he does not have any Friends who are Jet fans, otherwise he would put them on the air for sure.

Looking forward to his podcast this week to eat some crow and moan about the pats.

Cousin Sal is having a good year, won there Fantasy Football league and now has his cowboys rollin...