Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Page 2 Dis from Bill Simmons (merged)

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=igotsowell;3449328]just so we are clear, this jerk off went [SIZE="6"]0-4[/SIZE] this weekend. When he used to write columns on a frequent basis, his goal each season was to be perfect for the playoffs. Well, he now has a chance to do that in a slightly different way.[/QUOTE]

Nice!

Love seeing Bill Simmons eat crow!

For those that remember what Bill Simmons wrote last week, you gotta read this weeks Page 2. Awesome seeing him eat his words with a hearty <GULP!>

[URL="http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/100115/one"]Page 2[/URL]

[QUOTE]As I tried to tell you in last week's column, power football is back! In 2010, it's all about pounding the run and playing tough defense. That's what made Jets coach Rex Ryan such a prophet before the Bengals game.

"We're dangerous. You have to be able to run the football this time of year, and you have to be able to play defense, and we can do that better than any team in the league. That gives us a chance in every game, no matter who we play."

Amen, Coach. I loved that quote when I heard it, and I love it even more now. Throwing out that Cards-Packers video game, here are the rushing/passing stats for the other three winners last weekend:

Jets: 41 rushes for 171 yards; 12 completions for 182 yards; two forced turnovers.
    Cowboys: 35 carries for 198 yards; 23 completions for 228 yards; four forced turnovers.
    Ravens: 52 rushes for 234 yards; four completions for 34 yards; four forced turnovers.

Remember everyone making a big fuss about how the NFL is such a passing league now? Hah! Those people have to feel like idiots. I loved the Jets as a playoff sleeper because they were perfect for this throwback era; you can almost picture them playing with leather helmets and tiny shoulder pads, or cramming near Ryan on the sidelines so they could get warm off his doughy body's heat. Some "experts" had doubts about Mark Sanchez heading into the postseason -- and admittedly, he did look a little shaky -- but I knew he could move around and take what the defense gave him, and that's exactly what he did. You don't need a franchise quarterback to carry you in 2010. Not anymore. And also

(Sorry.)

(I can't keep this going.)
    [/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]Jets (+7) over CHARGERS

The key matchup: Jets CB Darrelle Revis must stop Chargers receiver Vincent Jackson.
    Key Player: Shonn Greene, who last weekend made every Pats fan say, "Wait a second, we had three of the top-60 picks and somehow missed that guy so we could end up with Laurence Maroney again?" You can run the ball down San Diego's throat, and you can run for big plays against San Diego. Greene can do both.

Possible Playoff Doppleganger: Jets 20, Chargers 17 (Jan. 8, 2005). I had the Chargers laying six. Didn't have to look that up. That was "The Night I Forgot That You Should Never Wager On Marty Schottenheimer in a Playoff Game."

Possible "Get Ready For a Weird Game" Omen: Jets owner Woody Johnson recently lost his daughter, Casey Johnson, who reportedly struggled with drug/alcohol problems. Casey Johnson was engaged to Tila Tequila, who accused Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman of domestic violence when they were dating back in August. Now the Jets and Chargers are playing in Round 2. Any game that features a prominent tie to Tila Tequila HAS to play out strangely, right?

Possible Tragic Figure: LaDainian Tomlinson. Win or lose, I have a feeling we'll be getting a heavy dose of Darren Sproles in this game, along with a lot of Tomlinson sideline shots in which he's sitting sullenly on the bench and looking like his McFarlane action figure.

Hero You Might Not Have Expected: Darrelle Revis. Crap -- you'd totally expect him. I don't care. Shut down Vincent Jackson and you can beat the Bolts.

This Game As a "Jersey Shore" Character: Vinny. He's gaining steam as the season goes long; so are the Jets.

Relevant E-mail (from name withheld): "Hey Cheatriot (expletive) how you like Sanchez now! (EXPLETIVE) YOU. Enjoy watching the Jets while the Cheatriots sit home (EXPLETIVE) each other you (EXPLETIVE). (EXPLETIVE)." Stay classy, Jersey.

Theories in Play: Like with Vikes/Cowboys, the "Beware of teams that looked a little too good in Round 1" and "Don't overrate home-field advantage" theories cancel out. So let's go with the pure matchups: San Diego loves chucking the ball, can't run the ball and can't stop the run. The Jets love running the ball, suck at stopping the run and do a nice job against passing teams. Could they have picked a better Round 2 opponent? The stars have aligned for the J-E-T-S JetsJetsJETS.

(Insert sound of thousands of Jets fans screaming, "Nooooooooooooo! He picked us! KISS OF DEATH!!!!!!!!!" Well, you shouldn't have sent me so many taunting e-mails last weekend. Enjoy the Simmons stink.)

The Pick: Jets 20, Chargers 19.[/QUOTE]

[url]http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/100115/two[/url]

Simmons is a great writer. He is living a lifelong dream that many of us have, writing sports columns for a living.

In my opinion, he prides himself on writing his columns as a fan, and not an analyst. He never said he is looking at things objectively, and that is what makes him a great read.

[QUOTE=msujetfan 89;3458073]Simmons is a great writer. He is living a lifelong dream that many of us have, writing sports columns for a living.

In my opinion, he prides himself on writing his columns as a fan, and not an analyst. He never said he is looking at things objectively, and that is what makes him a great read.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, he is not a sportswriter, commentator, etc... He is simply a guy who writes really funny articles. Since he's from Boston, occasionally he will piss us off.

Of course that don't mean we can't break his balls cuz he said we'd only win 7 games and miss the playoffs.

And I agree with the poster who said his voice is unlistenable. While his articles are great, he totally sounds like that cocky dickhead in college you just want to beat the **** out of.

[QUOTE=jetstream23;3441522]

[B]But now I'm saying, F*ck That! I want to win this damn game and shove that victory down the throats of 70% of this nation's sports media.[/B]

[B]The Jets deserve to be in the playoffs and they'll show it on Saturday! :yes:[/B][/QUOTE]

Amen, brother Jetstream.

the best part of Simmons' Jets breakdown was left out above:

[B]Key Player: [/B]Shonn Greene, who last weekend made every Pats fan say, "Wait a second, we had three of the top-60 picks and somehow missed that guy so we could end up with Laurence Maroney again?" You can run the ball down San Diego's throat, and you can run for big plays against San Diego. Greene can do both.

Simmons is 100% correct.

All League
    Crap he picked us to win? We're screwed...

I actually enjoy Simmons. He is a Boston fan. He doesn't try to hide that. He admits to his biases, and admits to his mistakes. He also researches his stuff well. No hard feelings towards anything he writes. A certain Peter King could certainly learn from a class-act like Simmons.

Jets Insider VIP
    Simmons is an entertaining writer.

He's just a dick when it comes to the Jets and the Yankees because he's a diehard Pats and Red Sox fan.

The Yanks have smacked him around enough; now it's the Jets turn to rough him up.

BUMP

[url]http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/player?context=podcast&id=4836625[/url]

His 1/18 podcast is a good listen. Gives props to Greene and Sanchez. Good break down of the upcoming games with Lombardi.

All League
    [QUOTE=SONNY WERBLIN;3458059]Possible Tragic Figure: LaDainian Tomlinson. Win or lose, I have a feeling we'll be getting a heavy dose of Darren Sproles in this game, [B]along with a lot of Tomlinson sideline shots in which he's sitting sullenly on the bench and looking like his McFarlane action figure[/B].[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Sv11OYCPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg[/IMG]

Lol