Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: For anyone who thinks this is a "Passing league": Think again.

Banned

For anyone who thinks this is a "Passing league": Think again.

This league is still a league of Elite D's and Strong Rushing Attacks. That may never change. Games are won in the trenches and Defense Wins Championships.

In 2007: The Patriots, Steelers, Colts, Jaguars, Titans, Chargers, Cowboys, Giants, Redskins, Packers, Bucs and Seahawks were the 12 teams that made the playoffs.

The Colts, Steelers, Bucs, Patriots, Chargers, Packers, Seahawks, Titans, Jaguars and Redskins all ranked top 12 in Defensive points allowed. 10 out of 12 playoff teams right there.

The Steelers, Bucs, Colts, Patriots, Titans, Jaguars, Giants, Redskins, Cowboys and Packers all ended up with top 12 D's. 10 of 12 playoffs teams right there.

The Jaguars, Steelers, Gitans, Titans, Chargers, Bucs and Redskins all ranked top 12 in rushing yards. 7 out of 12 playoff teams right there.

2008: Dolphins, Steelers, Ravens, Titans, Colts, Chargers, Giants, Eagles, Vikings, Panthers, Cards and Falcons were the 12 teams that made the playoffs.

The Steelers, Titans, Ravens, Eagles, Giants, Colts, Dolphins and Falcons all ranked top 12 in Defensive points allowed. 8 out of 12 playoffs teams right there.

The Steelers, Ravens, Titans, Eagles, Giants, Vikings and Colts all ended up with top 12 D's. 7 out of 12 playoff teams right there.

The Giants, Falcons, Panthers, Ravens, Vikings, Titans and Vikings all ranked top 12 in rushing yards. 7 out of 12 playoffs teams right there.

I actually made a thread about this during the offseason. Making it known that if the Jets could (With a rookie QB) A) Keep points off the board, B) Play a top 10 type of Defense under Rex Ryan and Rank top 10 in rushing yards that we could make the playoffs here in 2009-2010 and now look...The Jets have a playoff game tomorrow.

2009: Patriots, Jets, Bengals, Ravens, Colts, Cowboys, Eagles, Vikings, Packers, Saints and Cards are the 12 playoff teams this season.

The Jets, Cowboys, Ravens, Patriots, Bengals, Packers, Colts, Vikings, and Chargers all rank top 12 in Defensive points allowed. 9 out of 12 playoff teams.

The Jets, Packers, Ravens, Bengals, Vikings, Cowboys, Patriots and Eagles all rank top 10 in Defense. 8 of 12 playoff teams.

The Jets, Ravens, Saints, Cowboys, Bengals and Patriots all rank top 12 in rushing yards. 6 out of 12 playoff teams.

For anyone who thinks the NFL is a "Passing league", think again. A top 10 Defense and Rushing attack will usually always get you into the playoffs; Just like it's always been.

A Great Defense and Strong Rushing attack will always be the key formula for success in the NFL.

2009: Jets, Cowboys, Ravens and Patriots all rank top 5 in Defensive points allowed. All made the playoffs.

2009: Jets, Packers, Ravens and Bengals all rank top 5 in team Defense. All made the playoffs.

2009: Jets and Ravens both ranked top 5 in rushing yards. Both made the playoffs.

The thing is: The Jets have the #1 Ranked Scoring Defense, #1 Ranked Overall Defense and #1 Ranked Rushing Attack... This Jets team is BUILT to win.
    Last edited by DefenseWinsChampionships2; 01-08-2010 at 06:46 PM.

All Pro
    What is this, a joke?

8 of the top 10 passing teams in the NFL are in the playoffs.

The Cardinals are 12 (and would probably be in the top ten if they hadn't started Leinart last week).

The Jets (no. 1 in rushing, no. 1 in defense) barely made the playoffs because they can't pass. There's a reason the Jets, Ravens, and Bengals are the three longest shots to win it all. None of them can pass the ball.

This is 110% a passing league.

It's all about 1) passing the ball (which we can't do) and 2) stopping the pass (which we do better than anybody in the league).

With ever passing day it becomes more clear that you have no idea what you are talking about.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    What is this, a joke?

8 of the top 10 passing teams in the NFL are in the playoffs.

The Cardinals are 12 (and would probably be in the top ten if they hadn't started Leinart last week).
    Jets, Ravens, Saints, Cowboys and Bengals all rank top 10 in rushing yards.

The Saints rank top 5 in rushing yards, average yards per rushing attempt and also rank top 5 in rushing TD's.

The ONLY top 10 passing teams, that DONT rank top 10 in rushing yards are... The Colts, Chargers, Packers, Vikings and Eagles.

And guess what? The Vikings would have gone nowhere without Adrian Peterson this season.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by DefenseWinsChampionships2 View Post

The Saints rank top 5 in rushing yards, average yards per rushing attempt and also rank top 5 in rushing TD's.

The ONLY top 10 passing teams, that DONT rank top 10 in rushing yards are... The Colts, Chargers, Packers, Vikings and Eagles.

And guess what? The Vikings would have gone nowhere without Adrian Peterson this season.
    This post right here just lowered everyone's football IQ by 5 points.

My favorite part

Ever heard of a journeyman QB named Brett Favre who had maybe his best season ever? Nah...of course not. He plays offense. Ever hear of offense?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    Yeah but isn't it ironic that the Pats have not won a SB since they created a prolific passing offense, but they won three SB's when they were more of a ball control offense with a blend of rushing and the short passing game .. or that teams like Air Coryell and Marino's Dolphins never won a SB either?

I happen to think both sides are wrong, its neither a passing league or a running league .. its both

You Pass to Score Points, but You Run to Win

That is the proper balance in my view and gives you the best chance to win
    Ham....stop trying to inject logic into this post. It's like pissing into a hurricane. Feels good for a moment but soon enough, you just end up covered in piss.

Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    With ever passing day it becomes more clear that you have no idea what you are talking about.
    Please. Despite what any pundits might say these days are rushing days and not passing days

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Every time I say to myself there's nothing else that Slim Staz Shady can do to make me say WTF...He proves me wrong..

Being in the playoffs is highly correlated with being good at everything.

All Pro
    I see what u did there, hard coin hoss.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post

Who are the last 5 QBs to win a SB? How did the two worst running offenses make the playoffs -- with first round byes no less.
    Thats funny, because the Jets made the playoffs and ran the ball more than any team in the league, and threw the ball less than any team in the league.

Last year the Steelers won the SB. Big ben was the QB.
    The Steelers ranked #1 in overall Defense. .
    Big Ben and the Steelers ranked 17th in passing yards last year.

In 2007 the Giants won the SB. Eli Manning was the QB.
    The Giants ranked 7th in Defense in 2007.
    The Giants ranked ranked 4th in rushing yards and 21st in passing yards

Got ya.

In 2005 the Steelers won the SB. Big Ben was the QB.
    The Steelers were ranked 4th in Defense in 2007.
    The Steelers ranked 5th in rushing yards and 24th in passing yards.

This is too easy Mike.

In 2004 the Patriots won the SB. Tom Brady was the QB.
    The Patriots were ranked 9th in defense.
    The Patriots ranked 7th in rushing yards and only 11th in passing yards.

Yup. Those were 4 of the last 5 teams that won the SB.

Great D's.
    Teams that run the football.

Yup Mike...I "Spam the board". My ass. Just football talk. Just proved you wrong too.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by hamburglar View Post
    Please. Despite what any pundits might say these days are rushing days and not passing days
    Despite my warning above, I will engage briefly.

Do you guys know who the BOTTOM TWO teams in the NFL are in Rushing yards? #31 and #32?

Look it up. You may be surprised.

You have to do at least one thing well offensively, be above average on defense, and not suck on Special Teams. Or maybe you have to be great defensively and not suck on offense. Who knows. Different teams make it in with different strengths. Some years the Rams win with all offense...some years the Ravens win with all defense. Only thing we know for sure is that you need to score more points than the other guy. Everything else is just opinion and we can all find the right facts to back it up if we are selective enough.

I thought winking smiley faces meant sarcasm.

I think in the bitter cold of January, playing some games out in the Great White North, I would rather be very good at defense and rushing, than passing.

All Pro

Top ten passing teams rank as good running teams because they build big leads and run the ball alot to keep them.

A team that has a hard time scoring points because they can't pass the ball, and is reliant on running to score points as the bread and butter of their offense, is entirely different.

I like the Jets chances as much as anybody, but success in the postseason is all about having a good, clutch QB who can make plays in tough situations. We are clearly at a huge disadvantage in this regard.

All Pro
    Thats funny, because the Jets made the playoffs and ran the ball more than any team in the league, and threw the ball less than any team in the league.

Last year the Steelers won the SB. Big ben was the QB.
    The Steelers ranked #1 in overall Defense. .
    Big Ben and the Steelers ranked 17th in passing yards last year.

In 2007 the Giants won the SB. Eli Manning was the QB.
    The Giants ranked 7th in Defense in 2007.
    The Giants ranked ranked 4th in rushing yards and 21st in passing yards

Got ya.

In 2005 the Steelers won the SB. Big Ben was the QB.
    The Steelers were ranked 4th in Defense in 2007.
    The Steelers ranked 5th in rushing yards and 24th in passing yards.

This is too easy Mike.

In 2004 the Patriots won the SB. Tom Brady was the QB.
    The Patriots were ranked 9th in defense.
    The Patriots ranked 7th in rushing yards and only 11th in passing yards.

Yup. Those were 4 of the last 5 teams that won the SB.

Great D's.
    Teams that run the football.

Yup Mike...I "Spam the board". My ass. Just football talk. Just proved you wrong too.
    Those teams had prolific passing offenses as well, and could drive down the field through the air if they needed to, but I don't expect you to acknowledge that because it would destroy what tiny bit of an argument that you have.

Prove me wrong?

You just keep ignoring what's right in front of your face.

2009 Colts, suck at running the ball. 2009 Chargers, suck at running the ball. Yet they're #1 and #2 in the AFC. The most successful teams in today's NFL pass the ball to get the lead and run the ball to keep it.

2009 Vikings, same exact team as the 2008 Vikings... what's the only difference? A guy who can throw the ball.

Any team that goes deep into the playoffs will have to get good play out of a defense, that hasn't changed and will never change.
    Last edited by TheMikeIsHot; 01-08-2010 at 07:30 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

You score on defenses when you throw, but throwing never makes them "QUIT" like a strong running attack will
    And how many minutes did the Fins have the ball in the Colt game?? Did that make the Colts quit?? We had 300 yds rushing in the Bills game did they quit??I know Shady's your boy but come on..

All Pro

Just for the record and assuming we have a strong defense, if you told me the choice on offense was a GREAT rushing attack or a GREAT passing attack, and whichever I chose the other element would stink, I would take the GREAT rushing offense (and the poor passing attack) because a Great running team controls time of possession, often times holding the ball in the high 30's in minutes, sometimes even the low 40's, and if you compliment that with strong defense that defense will always feel fresh and able to go at full speed, while the opposing offense will find it difficult to get into a rhythm having to spend so much time on the sidelines.

Lastly, what is often lost on fans who are watching and not playing, football is still a battle for physical supremacy in the trenches and there is nothing more demoralizing for a defense than to have a team run the football down your throat. You can pass on them all day and it will never have the same demoralizing effect of a 15 Play Drive where the offense just rams the ball down your throat and physically dominates you at the line of scrimmage.

That's why I disagree with the people who say "its a passing league"

That's to simplistic and it ignores the physical nature of pro football

You score on defenses when you throw, but throwing never makes them "QUIT" like a strong running attack will
    A team that can't throw the ball is going to have trouble scoring points and if that team ever gets into a hole, there's no way to dig out.

A passing offense can be just as demoralizing if you can't stop them on 3rd downs, too. It's also demoralizing to fall behind 4 TDs in the 1st half. You won't find that often with ball-control offenses. Passing teams have plenty of 10 play drives that eat up clock, but the difference to me is that a passing team's quick strike ability means they're almost never out of a game. Running teams that fall behind 2 TDs are usually cooked.

Running teams most always be paired up with an elite defense to succeed while the same is not always true for passing teams because they can win shootouts.

And finally, even teams that stink at running the ball still can muster 3 YPC. Teams that stink at throwing the ball are often far worse than the teams that excel. And running the ball into a 6 or 7 man front is much easier than running into 8 and 9 all game long.

Just take a look at who the worst passing teams in the NFL are this year...

Browns, Rams, Chiefs, Lions, Bucs

Now who are the worst rushing teams...

Colts, Chargers, Texans, Redskins, Bucs

So aside from the Bucs who suck at everything, this shows us that the worst rushing teams in the NFL are still good enough to finish 14-2 and 13-3 and get 1st round byes in the playoffs but the worst passing teams are looking for QBs in the top 5 of the draft because they can't throw the ball.
    Last edited by TheMikeIsHot; 01-08-2010 at 07:47 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    Top ten passing teams rank as good running teams because they build big leads and run the ball alot to keep them.

A team that has a hard time scoring points because they can't pass the ball, and is reliant on running to score points as the bread and butter of their offense, is entirely different.

I like the Jets chances as much as anybody, but success in the postseason is all about having a good, clutch QB who can make plays in tough situations. We are clearly at a huge disadvantage in this regard.
    I disagree.

I believe that games are won in the trenches and Defense Wins Championships come playoff time. The Jets have the most talented O-Line in the league, the strongest rushing attack in the game today, can stuff the run and also have the best Defense in the league under Rex Ryan.

The Jets have the huge advantage when it comes to A) Keeping points off the board. B) Dominating games with our rushing attack and C) The Best Defense in the league.

But hey, everyone feels different.

And if anything, the Jets have the best chance, of any team in the league, to shut down the top 5 passing attacks, thats because no team in the league can play the Pass as strong as the Jets Defense can.

- Opposing QB's only had a completion % of 51.7 against this Jets Pass Defense. Jets rank #1 in the league right there.

- The Jets Pass Defense has only allowed an average of 153.7 passing yards per game; Ranked #1 in the league.

- The Jets Pass Defense has only allowed 8 Pass TD's through the air this season; Ranked #1 in the league.

- The Jets Pass Defense has only allowed an average of 8.0 1st downs through the air this season; Ranked #1 in the league.

- The Jets Pass Defense has only allowed 31 pass plays of 20+ yards this season; Ranked #2 in the league.

- The Jets Pass Defense has only allowed 3 pass plays of 40+ yards this season; Ranked #1 in the league.

- The Jets have an overall Pass Defensive Rating of 58.8; Ranks #1 in the league.

With all that said...That must mean the Jets have the best chance, of any team in the league, to shut down passing O's such as the Colts and Chargers here in the AFC.

I bet no team in the playoffs...Can STUFF the run as good as we can shut down the pass. Advantage: Jets.

Banned

Just for the record and assuming we have a strong defense, if you told me the choice on offense was a GREAT rushing attack or a GREAT passing attack, and whichever I chose the other element would stink, I would take the GREAT rushing offense (and the poor passing attack) because a Great running team controls time of possession, often times holding the ball in the high 30's in minutes, sometimes even the low 40's, and if you compliment that with strong defense that defense will always feel fresh and able to go at full speed, while the opposing offense will find it difficult to get into a rhythm having to spend so much time on the sidelines.

Lastly, what is often lost on fans who are watching and not playing, football is still a battle for physical supremacy in the trenches and there is nothing more demoralizing for a defense than to have a team run the football down your throat. You can pass on them all day and it will never have the same demoralizing effect of a 15 Play Drive where the offense just rams the ball down your throat and physically dominates you at the line of scrimmage.

That's why I disagree with the people who say "its a passing league"

That's to simplistic and it ignores the physical nature of pro football