Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Chargers Fans Very Confident

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BoltsFan;3448774]Yea, us fans are confident and we should be. We're not afraid of the Jets.

That said, I guarantee you the Chargers are not overlooking the Jets. Everyone in the org knows for certain that the team best not overlook anyone. It's the postseason. It doesn't even matter who you're playing. If you're not ready to play your best ball you're gonna lose to whomever you play.

Most of us fans are not overlooking the Jets either. What the Jets have to do to win is force turnovers and get constant pressure on PR. If they can do that consistently for 60 minutes they will definitely have a shot at winning.

Let me put it this way, hard for me to see the Jets blowing SD out.[/QUOTE]

One of my closest friends is a DIE HARD Chargers fan and he said to me that Chargers defense is not great and it should be considering who they played....but i told him, none of that matters, the team with more heart will win.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    i believe they have already peaked and are on the way down, and that the jets are peaking at the best time

then again i thought the packers were peaking at the right time too...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BoltsFan;3448832]I guarantee you they're not. This years team knows better.[/QUOTE]

If I were a Chargers fan, honestly man; I would not wanna see this Jets team.

The Jets rank #1 in rushing with an average of 170+ rushing yards per game. This Jets team just set an all time Franchise record for most rushing yards in a season. The Chargers run Defense? It's really bad. The loss of Jamal Williams will become devastating during the playoffs this Sunday.

The Bengals ranked 7th against the run and this Jets rushing attack still rushed for over 170 yards. the Chargers run Defense ranks worse than 20th.

The Chargers are built to pass the Football. Thats not a good sign against this Jets Defense led by Rex Ryan. This Jets Defense ranks #1 against the pass in just about each and every Defensive statistical category know to man kind.

Darrelle Revis is the most talented shut down, lock down type of CB since #21 of the Falcons during the 90's. Andre Johnson, Randy Moss (Twice), Marques Colston, Terrell Owens (Twice), Rodney White, Reggie Wayne and Chad Johnson (Twice) have all been shut down like never before when going up against #24 this season. It hasn't even been close, none of these WR's had a chance in hell to compete against Revis.

Vincent Jackson? He may be elite, but he has no chance in hell to put up anything more than 5 catches, 40 yards, 0 TD's. He'll become a non factor.

Our Defense also does an amazing job against opposing TE's.

Our Pass Defense has went up against elite pass catching TE's such as Shockey, Winslow, Gonzalez and Clark this season. Those 4 pass catching TE's combined for 14 catches, 149 yards and 1 TD this season against ourDefense.

Thats only an average of 3.5 catches, 37 yards, 0.25 TD's per game.

Other TE's:
    Owen Daniels: 4 catches 44 yards, 0 TD's.
    Ben Watson: 3 catches, 23 yards, 0 TD's.
    Alge Crumpler: 4 catches, 59 yards, 0 TD's.
    Anthony Fassano: 4 catches, 38 yards, 1 TD.
    Shawn Nelson: 2 catches, 34 yards, 0 TD's
    Zack Miller: 2 catches, 15 yards, 0 TD's.
    Anthony Fassano: 2 catches, 16 yards, 0 TD's.
    Marcedes Lewis: 2 catches, 58 yards, 0 TD's.
    Chris Baker: 0 catches, 0 yards, 0 TD's.
    Dante Rosario: 4 catches, 62 yards, 0 TD's.
    Jonathan Stupar: 1 catch, 1 yard, 0 TD.
    Daniel Coats: 1 catch, 12 yards, 0 TD's

All 16 of those TE's have only combined for an average of 2.6 catches, 29.9 yards to go along with 0.125 TD's per game.

As a Football fan, I honestly hope that SD Charger fans aren't confident about Philip Rivers hooking up with Vincent Jackson and Antonio Gates this Sunday, because it's not about to happen. Not against this Defense.

The Jets Defense ranks 8th against the run in total rushing yards allowed, the Jets Defense also ranks 4th against run, only allowing an average of 3.8 yards per carry.

This Chargers rushing attack? It's not good. It's less than below average. The Chargers rank 31st in rushing yards and 32nd (Dead last) in average yards per rushing attempt.

This is not a team that the Chargers matchup well again, not even close.

What do the Chargers do best? Pass the ball to Jackson and Gates.

What do the Jets do best on Defense? Shut down #1 WR's and pass catching TE's.

What do the Jets do best on the Offensive side of the ball? Rushing attack-Ground and pound.

What has the Chargers Defense had major problems with? The run.
    Last edited by DefenseWinsChampionships2; 01-10-2010 at 10:17 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    F@gs on the radio talking about JACKSON and his size and ability......

Really,

Since when is VINCENT JACK@SS better than:

Colston, Moss, Johnson, the other Johnson, Steve Smith.....

All im hearing is the jets haters calling the radio and saying JACKSON is too strong for REVIS......

JACKSON ...stronger than ... Andre Johnson???

I DONT THINK SO.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Greetings Jets fans....I've always enjoyed lurking this board on occasion as it is one of the better fan sites around for knowledgeable football talk. Also, congrats on making it to the postseason and the playoff win. Don't let anyone tell you that your team doesn't deserve to be here.

I'll offer a couple of tidbits on the Chargers. I've been to every one of the home playoff games this decade including our loss to your Jets. The biggest thing I've learned over the past few years is that playoff experience matters...A LOT. We had the NFL's most physically dominating team on both sides of the ball in 2006 and the NFL's MVP and a clear path to the superbowl...and completely imploded in the divisional round against the Patriots in a game we we were physically dominating...The game was too big for our young team at the time and they let that one get away with mental mistakes. A beat up version of the Chargers came back in 2007 and went to the AFCCG and was just too injured to give the Pats any kind of real fight....In 2008, we were kind of a team in turmoil and it wasn't until we fired our pathetic DC Ted Cotrell (I believe you're familiar with him) that we turned it on for another playoff run and a win over the Colts in round 1....again we were too beat up and undermanned to really challenge Pittsburgh in their house.

This year's team is a lot different than the 2004 or 2006 versions of the Chargers...Aside from the passing stats, nothing looks too pretty....But the team is smart...deep....and mature. They get it done in the red zone on both sides of the ball. Philip Rivers doesn't make a lot of mistakes...is hard to get to with his quick release and is very accurate....The motto of the offense this year has been "above the rim" with Gates, Floyd, and Jackson all having a basketball background and being 6'4 or taller....A lot of passes are strategically thrown well over our tall receivers heads where only they can jump up to grab them. No one will outjump those three guys. That is the strength of the team. The offensive line is now a very good pass protecting unit..and is a little subpar in run blocking...but if they get a rhythm going...LT can still hurt you....and there still aren't a lot of better weapons around the goal line. Sproles is a dynamic weapon also...and the Chargers use both FB's Hester and Tolbert who have surprising quicks also. Rivers spreads the ball all over the field and knows where the matchups are...Although much respect is due to Revis, the Chargers never shy away from throwing right at Asomougha...and I expect them to test the Jackson / Revis matchup...especially deep if he's left one on one.

On defense, the team had to scramble for several weeks to find a way to plug the huge hole left by jamal Williams....and they finally worked it out by bringing in a rotation of journeyman linemen and rotating in LB'ers Siler and Dobbins who are big hammers against the run (See the Chargers goal line stand against Dallas for reference)...They defense as a whole gets gashed on occasion, but knows it's job is to just try to turn it up and be stingy in the red zone and get the ball back to Rivers and the offense.

The Chargers are also a complete team these days with very good ST units...a great KR weapon in Sproles...a great punter in Scifres...and a far more clutch FG kicker in Kaeding than he was back when he choked against the Jets in 2005.

As far as the matchup...definitely have some concerns with the physicality of the Jets O Line and running game....I know the Jets have a great defense, but I do like the fact that the pass rush is not the league's best...Rivers is not the kind of QB that you want to give time to...He's just too accurate and makes very good decisions......I also think that this will be a big step up in pressure for Sanchez as this city has been amped for the game and will make the stadium a hornets nest and the Chargers will open up the bag of tricks on defense like they did against the Colts last year. At some point, Sanchez is going to have to make some big plays for the Jets to win. I'll be impressed (and pissed) if he does.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DefenseWinsChampionships2;3448888]If I were a Chargers fan, honestly man; I would not wanna see this Jets team.

The Jets rank #1 in rushing with an average of 170+ rushing yards per game. This Jets team just set an all time Franchise record for most rushing yards in a season. The Chargers run Defense? It's really bad. The Bengals ranked 7th against the run and this Jets rushing attack still rushed for over 170 yards. the Chargers run Defense ranks worse than 20th.

The Chargers are built to pass the Football. Thats not a good sign against this Jets Defense led by Rex Ryan. This Jets Defense ranks #1 against the pass in just about each and every Defensive statistical category know to man kind.

Darrelle Revis is the most talented shut down, lock down type of CB since #21 of the Falcons during the 90's. Andre Johnson, Randy Moss (Twice), Marques Colston, Terrell Owens (Twice), Randy Moss (Twice), Rodney White, Reggie Wayne and Chad Johnson (Twice) have all been shut down like never before when going up against #24 this season. It hasn't even been close, none of these WR's had a chance in hell to compete against Revis.

Vincent Jackson? He may be elite, but he has no chance in hell to put up anything more than 5 catches, 40 yards, 0 TD's. He'll become a non factor.

Our Defense also does an amazing job against opposing TE's.

Our Pass Defense has went up against elite pass catching TE's such as Shockey, Winslow, Gonzalez and Clark this season. Those 4 pass catching TE's combined for 14 catches, 149 yards and 1 TD this season against ourDefense.

Thats only an average of 3.5 catches, 37 yards, 0.25 TD's per game.

Other TE's:
    Owen Daniels: 4 catches 44 yards, 0 TD's.
    Ben Watson: 3 catches, 23 yards, 0 TD's.
    Alge Crumpler: 4 catches, 59 yards, 0 TD's.
    Anthony Fassano: 4 catches, 38 yards, 1 TD.
    Shawn Nelson: 2 catches, 34 yards, 0 TD's
    Zack Miller: 2 catches, 15 yards, 0 TD's.
    Anthony Fassano: 2 catches, 16 yards, 0 TD's.
    Marcedes Lewis: 2 catches, 58 yards, 0 TD's.
    Chris Baker: 0 catches, 0 yards, 0 TD's.
    Dante Rosario: 4 catches, 62 yards, 0 TD's.
    Jonathan Stupar: 1 catch, 1 yard, 0 TD.
    Daniel Coats: 1 catch, 12 yards, 0 TD's

All 16 of those TE's have only combined for an average of 2.6 catches, 29.9 yards to go along with 0.125 TD's per game.

As a Football fan, I honestly hope that SD Charger fans aren't confident about Philip Rivers hooking up with Vincent Jackson and Antonio Gates this Sunday, because it's not about to happen. Not against this Defense.

The Jets Defense ranks 8th against the run in total rushing yards allowed, the Jets Defense also ranks 4th against run, only allowing an average of 3.8 yards per carry.

This Chargers rushing attack? It's not good. It's less than below average. The Chargers rank 31st in rushing yards and 32nd (Dead last) in average yards per rushing attempt.

This is not a team that the Chargers matchup well again, not even close.

What do the Chargers do best? Pass the ball to Jackson and Gates.

What do the Jets do best on Defense? Shut down #1 WR's and pass catching TE's.

What do the Jets do best on the Offensive side of the ball? Rushing attack-Ground and pound.

What has the Chargers Defense had major problems with? The run.[/QUOTE]I understand how you feel as a Jets fans. Here's how I feel as a Chargers fan. In the postseason it's all about game planning and execution. I think this Chargers team has more talent than the Jets have seen and I think Norv can game plan with the best of them. Ryan and the Jets are not new to the Bolts. I don't think the Jets can shut SD down. Not at home. Not happening.

If the Colts could move the ball on the Jets, and I believe the Colts win that game if they didn't rest, I guarantee you the Bolts will be matriculating the ball down the field against the Jets. If the Jets can't force turnovers I don't see them winning. If the Jets have to play catch up I don't see them winning. I think the Bolts have more weapons than just Gates and VJ. I think the Bolts beat the Jets even if they focus all their energy on those 2. And believe me it will take all the Jets energy to stop those 2.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rivers and the Chargers sat most of Week 17 and then had a bye week (And played on Thursday Night the week before), i'd be concerned about the rust factor. One could say they haven't played a competitive game since Christmas, a long way away from our January 17th matchup.

And lets face it, they're pretty much a one-dimensional team. A running game that hasn't been getting the job done, and a mediocre defense, especially against the run. They can pass, sure, but they're facing the #1 passing defense. If there's anybody that can slow that down, it's the Jets.

And I'm not sure why people are making such a big deal over Jackson's height. Revis shut down Randy Moss, Marques Colston, Terrell Owens, and Andre Johnson, all 6'3" or over. Jackson's impressive, but I don't see what he has to offer that Revis hasn't stopped this season already. No corner highpoints a ball in the air better then Darrelle Revis.

It'll be a fun game, but the Chargers are making a mistake if they think it's going to be a cakewalk. The Jets are pretty much the worst case draw for them with the #1 Passing Defense, #1 Overall Defense, and #1 Rushing Game. On paper, they should be able to run the ball on their D, and slow down their passing attack, and do the Chargers have the ability to pull one out if that happens? I guess we'll find out.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just watched some you tube video of Rivers. His release is a lot quicker than I remember. I used to think he had that slow baseball windup like Henne down in Miami.

The Bolts were my Pre-Season Super Bowl selection out of the AFC, I hope I am wrong now.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ven0m;3448974]Rivers and the Chargers sat most of Week 17 and then had a bye week (And played on Thursday Night the week before), i'd be concerned about the rust factor. One could say they haven't played a competitive game since Christmas, a long way away from our January 17th matchup.

And lets face it, they're pretty much a one-dimensional team. A running game that hasn't been getting the job done, and a mediocre defense, especially against the run. They can pass, sure, but they're facing the #1 passing defense. If there's anybody that can slow that down, it's the Jets.

And I'm not sure why people are making such a big deal over Jackson's height. Revis shut down Randy Moss, Marques Colston, Terrell Owens, and Andre Johnson, all 6'3" or over. Jackson's impressive, but I don't see what he has to offer that Revis hasn't stopped this season already. No corner highpoints a ball in the air better then Darrelle Revis.

It'll be a fun game, but the Chargers are making a mistake if they think it's going to be a cakewalk. The Jets are pretty much the worst case draw for them with the #1 Passing Defense, #1 Overall Defense, and #1 Rushing Game. On paper, they should be able to run the ball on their D, and slow down their passing attack, and do the Chargers have the ability to pull one out if that happens? I guess we'll find out.[/QUOTE]

It seems like a lot of Jets fans think it will be a cakewalk the other way and are pretty happy about facing the Chargers next week....that's even more surprising to me....The bottom line is that the Chargers might be perceived as not being able to handle physical teams...but they are in fact 13-3 and did sweep the NFCE...which is all about big, physical and agressive on the lines.

Revis deserves to be respected...He is probably the best or at least top 2 CBs in the NFL....I don't think the matchup between him and Vincent Jackson is that crucial to the Chargers though....and I don't think it's just a foregone conclusion that the Chargers won't be able to use him....He is in fact a tough physical matchup for anyone at 6'5 240.... There have been several games where Jackson has been non-exisitant because teams double him or focus too much game planning on him...Rivers has no problem exploiting the other matchups....I think it is worth noting that Nnamdi Asomougha is probably considered about as good as Revis, and the Chargers have gone after him before also with Jackson and others with some success.

Rivers is the guy to fear on the Chargers...not Jackson....If the Jets can't get to Rivers without blitzing, it will be problematic for the team in green....if they have to bring the house repeatedly, the Chargers torch blitzing teams about as good as anyone with wide open Gates or screen passes. Lots to think about with the Chargers offense.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Boltergeist;3449007]I think it is worth noting that Nnamdi Asomougha is probably considered about as good as Revis, and the Chargers have gone after him before also with Jackson and others with some success.

[/QUOTE]

wow dude...You are insane if you really think that.

Nnamdi NEVER goes up against opposing #1 WR's...He only goes up against #2 WR's.

Revis? He follows #1 WR's everywhere they go. If a #1 WR is running a route, Revis is on him..One on one.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ven0m;3448974]Rivers and the Chargers sat most of Week 17 and then had a bye week (And played on Thursday Night the week before), i'd be concerned about the rust factor. One could say they haven't played a competitive game since Christmas, a long way away from our January 17th matchup.

It'll be a fun game, but the Chargers are making a mistake if they think it's going to be a cakewalk. The Jets are pretty much the worst case draw for them with the #1 Passing Defense, #1 Overall Defense, and #1 Rushing Game. On paper, they should be able to run the ball on their D, and slow down their passing attack, and do the Chargers have the ability to pull one out if that happens? I guess we'll find out.[/QUOTE]

I don't believe the Chargers are thinking it's anywhere near a cakewalk. That opinion seems to be shared by nearly all their fans on their board though. I was gonna say hi, but they're so untethered from objective reality right now it didn't seem worth the trouble. Let them enjoy the week predicting 51-0 scores and hopefully they'll come crashing back to reality next Sunday.

They truly don't believe Vincent Jackson can be stopped despite the evidence to the contrary, yet barely mention Gates, who is probably a much more serious threat. Frankly, I'm even more concerned about Sproles' speed on the edge and on STs if he's still returning kicks.

The other collective hallucination they seem to be sharing is that they will stop the run and force Sanchez to throw, which guarantees automatic turnovers and blowout. Three weeks ago, that would have been more realistic if, and that's a BIG IF, they can even stop our run. Now, I'm thinking if we get last weekend's Sanchez again next Sunday, anything can happen. Maybe Edwards will even hang onto one.

Anyway, hoping for some lively, but relatively well-mannered analysis and chest-thumping up to the game.
    Last edited by nycdan; 01-10-2010 at 11:52 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Boltergeist;3448902]Greetings Jets fans....I've always enjoyed lurking this board on occasion as it is one of the better fan sites around for knowledgeable football talk. Also, congrats on making it to the postseason and the playoff win. Don't let anyone tell you that your team doesn't deserve to be here.

I'll offer a couple of tidbits on the Chargers. I've been to every one of the home playoff games this decade including our loss to your Jets. The biggest thing I've learned over the past few years is that playoff experience matters...A LOT. We had the NFL's most physically dominating team on both sides of the ball in 2006 and the NFL's MVP and a clear path to the superbowl...and completely imploded in the divisional round against the Patriots in a game we we were physically dominating...The game was too big for our young team at the time and they let that one get away with mental mistakes. A beat up version of the Chargers came back in 2007 and went to the AFCCG and was just too injured to give the Pats any kind of real fight....In 2008, we were kind of a team in turmoil and it wasn't until we fired our pathetic DC Ted Cotrell (I believe you're familiar with him) that we turned it on for another playoff run and a win over the Colts in round 1....again we were too beat up and undermanned to really challenge Pittsburgh in their house.

This year's team is a lot different than the 2004 or 2006 versions of the Chargers...Aside from the passing stats, nothing looks too pretty....But the team is smart...deep....and mature. They get it done in the red zone on both sides of the ball. Philip Rivers doesn't make a lot of mistakes...is hard to get to with his quick release and is very accurate....The motto of the offense this year has been "above the rim" with Gates, Floyd, and Jackson all having a basketball background and being 6'4 or taller....A lot of passes are strategically thrown well over our tall receivers heads where only they can jump up to grab them. No one will outjump those three guys. That is the strength of the team. The offensive line is now a very good pass protecting unit..and is a little subpar in run blocking...but if they get a rhythm going...LT can still hurt you....and there still aren't a lot of better weapons around the goal line. Sproles is a dynamic weapon also...and the Chargers use both FB's Hester and Tolbert who have surprising quicks also. Rivers spreads the ball all over the field and knows where the matchups are...Although much respect is due to Revis, the Chargers never shy away from throwing right at Asomougha...and I expect them to test the Jackson / Revis matchup...especially deep if he's left one on one.

On defense, the team had to scramble for several weeks to find a way to plug the huge hole left by jamal Williams....and they finally worked it out by bringing in a rotation of journeyman linemen and rotating in LB'ers Siler and Dobbins who are big hammers against the run (See the Chargers goal line stand against Dallas for reference)...They defense as a whole gets gashed on occasion, but knows it's job is to just try to turn it up and be stingy in the red zone and get the ball back to Rivers and the offense.

The Chargers are also a complete team these days with very good ST units...a great KR weapon in Sproles...a great punter in Scifres...and a far more clutch FG kicker in Kaeding than he was back when he choked against the Jets in 2005.

As far as the matchup...definitely have some concerns with the physicality of the Jets O Line and running game....I know the Jets have a great defense, but I do like the fact that the pass rush is not the league's best...Rivers is not the kind of QB that you want to give time to...He's just too accurate and makes very good decisions......I also think that this will be a big step up in pressure for Sanchez as this city has been amped for the game and will make the stadium a hornets nest and the Chargers will open up the bag of tricks on defense like they did against the Colts last year. At some point, Sanchez is going to have to make some big plays for the Jets to win. I'll be impressed (and pissed) if he does.[/QUOTE]

Welcome and thanks for posting. Some good points you made. I agree that experience is important and you'd like to have a team that knows how to win in the playoffs. But, I'm not sure how critical that is for this game or even if the advantage is clearly with the Chargers. In fact, the Jets have already played in the playoffs this year and now have experience winning. If anything, the Jets have already overcome any potential playoff jitters and any pressure they may have felt (Sanchez as a rookie, the Jets trying to justify that they belonged in the playoffs, etc.). That stuff is all gone and the Jets are playing with house money. They're loose and I think the pressure HAS to be on the Chargers to win at home after having a Bye and especially with their recent playoff meltdowns in years past. This is a MUST WIN for San Diego.

Aside from experience, I think there are some matchup problems for SD (and for the Jets too) in this game. San Diego has shown to be very average against the run on defense and the Jets physically impose their will against other teams in the running game. And last week, Sanchez showed that if you try to stack the box against the run he has a chance to make you pay for it.

I also do not think the Chargers have faced very tough defenses and certainly nothing like the style of D the Jets play. My biggest concern for the Jets is the multiple weapons the Chargers have (Gates, Jackson, LT, Sproles, etc.) and the fact that Rivers is playing EXCELLENT football right now. You are exactly right that if you give Philip Rivers time in the pocket he'll figure you out and pick you apart. Even the Jets excellent pass defense can't stop Rivers consistently all game if he has time to throw. Peyton Manning has already showed that against the Jets. But again, can Rivers decipher the Jets defense and the overload blitzes? Can he succeed if he's constantly pressured or will he press his throws and become susceptible to INTs?

I think, and to some degree hope, this is a very good football game. I'm expecting a war. But if the Jets get their running game going early and our D pressures Rivers I think the Chargers are in trouble. Likewise, if SD has used the time off to study the Jets as a potential opponent and they can stop the Jets rushing attack to force Sanchez to try to beat them, I think SD's offense will find enough points to win.

Good luck (but not too much) on Sunday!
    Last edited by jetstream23; 01-10-2010 at 11:27 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nycdan;3449029]I don't believe the Chargers are thinking it's anywhere near a cakewalk. That opinion seems to be shared by nearly all their fans on the board though. I was gonna say hi, but they're so untethered from objective reality right now it didn't seem worth the trouble. Let them enjoy the week predicting 51-0 scores and hopefully they'll come crashing back to reality next Sunday.

They truly don't believe Vincent Jackson can be stopped despite the evidence to the contrary, yet barely mention Gates, who is probably a much more serious threat. Frankly, I'm even more concerned about Sproles' speed on the edge and on STs if he's still returning kicks.

The other collective hallucination they seem to be sharing is that they will stop the run and force Sanchez to throw, which guarantees automatic turnovers and blowout. Three weeks ago, that would have been more realistic if, and that's a BIG IF, they can even stop our run. Now, I'm thinking if we get last weekend's Sanchez again next Sunday, anything can happen. Maybe Edwards will even hang onto one.

Anyway, hoping for some lively, but relatively well-mannered analysis and chest-thumping up to the game.[/QUOTE]It's not just Sproles. First of all the Jets will only be able to take one guy away. They're gonna have to double either Gates or VJ. They'll prolly alternate the double some between the two but that's really all they can do. All the Jets can do is double one WR. That's it.

If the Jets try anything else they'll pay for it. Here's who'll make them pay. Sproles, Floyd, Nanee, LT, and Davis.

Oh, and Gates or VJ. :cool:

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    What am i missing here? Are they not supposed to be confident?

Fans on both sides think they're team is going to blow the other one out...Just read some of the posts on this board...

Truth is this is going to be a very closely contended game...

IMO the keys to victory for the Jets are dominating time of possession and winning the turnover battle...The best way to stop the Chargers offense is keeping them on the sideline...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nyctomjetsfan;3449055]What am i missing here? Are they not supposed to be confident?

Fans on both sides think they're team is going to blow the other one out...Just read some of the posts on this board...

Truth is this is going to be a very closely contended game...

IMO the keys to victory for the Jets are dominating time of possession and winning the turnover battle...The best way to stop the Chargers offense is keeping them on the sideline...[/QUOTE]
    Yup, you're right. Dominating playoff D is very hard to overcome.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BoltsFan;3449050]It's not just Sproles. First of all the Jets will only be able to take one guy away. They're gonna have to double either Gates or VJ. They'll prolly alternate the double some between the two but that's really all they can do. All the Jets can do is double one WR. That's it.

If the Jets try anything else they'll pay for it. Here's who'll make them pay. Sproles, Floyd, Nanee, LT, and Davis.

Oh, and Gates or VJ. :cool:[/QUOTE]

Revis will NOT have to double Jackson...Have you not seen Revis play or something this season? The Jets allow Revis to go 1 on 1 against opposing #1 WR's each and every game and guess what? They all get shut down like never before. Revis doesn't need any "help". He's the best freaking CB since Deion Sanders.

The Jets have dominated pass catching TE's this season. The Jets have only allowed 2 TD's against TE's this season. TE's have only combined for an average of 2.6 catches, 29.9 yards to go along with 0.125 TD's per game this year with Revis going one on one against #1 WR's. Yeah, I'm sure Gates is going to "Murder" our D.

Lito Sheppard is one of the better #2 CB's around. Lito Sheppard will hold his own against any #2 WR in the league one on one. Floys? Nothing special. Lito Sheppard has shut down alot of really good #2 WR's this season. Lee Evans is one example: 1 catch, 38 yards, 0 TD's. Floyd? Are you kidding me? Give me a break. Floyd only has 1 TD this season as a #2 WR and lets not forget...Floyd only has 1 game of 5 or more catches this season. Lito Sheppard is one of the better #2 CB's in the league; Floyd? He's not even a top 15 #2 WR.

What has L.T done this season? Nothing. L.T only rushed for 730 yards, an average of only 3.3 yards per carry and guess what? He's only put up 20 catches this season.

Jackson: Wont be a factor.

Gates: He's a talented TE, but Dustin Keller has a better chance of having a solid game.

Floyd: Lito Sheppard will be all over Floyd.

L.T: Won't rush for anything over 75 yards against this D.

Rivers? We are about to find out.
    Last edited by DefenseWinsChampionships2; 01-10-2010 at 11:37 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Boltergeist;3449007][B]It seems like a lot of Jets fans think it will be a cakewalk the other way and are pretty happy about facing the Chargers next week....that's even more surprising to me[/B]....The bottom line is that the Chargers might be perceived as not being able to handle physical teams...but they are in fact 13-3 and did sweep the NFCE...which is all about big, physical and agressive on the lines.

Revis deserves to be respected...He is probably the best or at least top 2 CBs in the NFL....I don't think the matchup between him and Vincent Jackson is that crucial to the Chargers though....and I don't think it's just a foregone conclusion that the Chargers won't be able to use him....He is in fact a tough physical matchup for anyone at 6'5 240.... There have been several games where Jackson has been non-exisitant because teams double him or focus too much game planning on him...Rivers has no problem exploiting the other matchups....I think it is worth noting that Nnamdi Asomougha is probably considered about as good as Revis, and the Chargers have gone after him before also with Jackson and others with some success.

Rivers is the guy to fear on the Chargers...not Jackson....If the Jets can't get to Rivers without blitzing, it will be problematic for the team in green....if they have to bring the house repeatedly, the Chargers torch blitzing teams about as good as anyone with wide open Gates or screen passes. Lots to think about with the Chargers offense.[/QUOTE]
    Nah, this isn't true

Most Jet fans know this would be a tough win. The Chargers are heavy favorites and they should be. I think the Jets will have opportunites to score, I've seen a bunch of the Chargers this year, and they can be thrown on, whether Sanchez can play well will be the key.

As you said, the Chargers "above the rim" offense scares the crap out of me. That and those screens that you guys run where you fake a screen one way then run a screen the other way, the Jets defense can't afford to sell out on the blitz or else we will get burned.

On the whole I think the Charger are going to connect on some deep balls and score some points, if the Jets can score 24 points like he did Sunday I like out chances, but we have to play an almost perfect game. Special teams at punter is a huge advantage for SD, return game with Sproles as well, hidden yards can be a huge factor. I think if the Jets protect the ball we can make it a game much like the Bengals game vs San Diego where they lost on a last second 50 yd FG. If we fall behind early and turn the ball over we probably lose big
    Last edited by IM3; 01-10-2010 at 11:40 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DefenseWinsChampionships2;3449077]
    Gates: He's a talented TE, but Dustin Keller has a better chance of having a solid game.
    .[/QUOTE]

:rolleyes:

And Sanchez has a better chance than Rivers because our D is #1 as well

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BoltsFan;3449050]It's not just Sproles. First of all the Jets will only be able to take one guy away. They're gonna have to double either Gates or VJ. They'll prolly alternate the double some between the two but that's really all they can do. All the Jets can do is double one WR. That's it.

Oh, and Gates or VJ. :cool:[/QUOTE]

Revis will be on Vincent Jackson. Thats a guarantee. Our safeties(Rhodes, Leonhard and Eric Smith) have done a great job on Tight Ends so I expect them to be able to slow down Gates. If we can do these two things, we just have to watch Sproles out of the backfield and jumpballs to Floyd. I think we can get pressure on Rivers.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DefenseWinsChampionships2;3449077]Revis will NOT have to double Jackson...Have you not seen Revis play or something this season? The Jets allow Revis to go 1 on 1 against opposing #1 WR's each and every game and guess what? They all get shut down like never before. Revis doesn't need any "help". He's the best freaking CB since Deion Sanders.

The Jets have dominated pass catching TE's this season. The Jets have only allowed 2 TD's against TE's this season. TE's have only combined for an average of 2.6 catches, 29.9 yards to go along with 0.125 TD's per game this year with Revis going one on one against #1 WR's. Yeah, I'm sure Gates is going to "Murder" our D.

Lito Sheppard is one of the better #2 CB's around. Lito Sheppard will hold his own against any #2 WR in the league one on one. Floys? Nothing special. Lito Sheppard has shut down alot of really good #2 WR's this season. Lee Evans is one example: 1 catch, 38 yards, 0 TD's. Floyd? Are you kidding me? Give me a break. Floyd only has 1 TD this season as a #2 WR and lets not forget...Floyd only has 1 game of 5 or more catches this season. Lito Sheppard is one of the better #2 CB's in the league; Floyd? He's not even a top 15 #2 WR.

[B]What has L.T done this season? Nothing. L.T only rushed for 730 yards, an average of only 3.3 yards per carry and guess what? He's only put up 20 catches this season.[/B]

Jackson: Wont be a factor.

Floyd: Lito Sheppard will be all over Floyd.

L.T: Won't rush for anything over 75 yards against this D.

Rivers? We are about to find out.[/QUOTE]I dare the Jets to sleep on LT. :yes:

Dude, I know for certain there have been games when Jackson wasn't a factor or Gates wasn't a factor and that's my point.

SD can hurt a team in a number of ways and not just on O.

What I really like most in this match up and this season is concept of experience and desire.

I'm real curious to see whether or not a nexus exists?