Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Rolando McClain Declares for the NFL Draft

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Rolando McClain Declares for the NFL Draft

[url]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/news/story?id=4816604[/url]

[QUOTE]Alabama linebacker Rolando McClain, the centerpiece of the Crimson Tide's national championship defense, announced Monday that he was skipping his senior season to enter the NFL draft.

McClain won the Butkus Award this season as the top linebacker in college football and led the Crimson Tide in tackles. He was a three-year starter and has been calling the defensive signals since he was a freshman.

He led Alabama with 105 tackles and 14.5 stops for losses in 2009. He also had two interceptions and two sacks.

Alabama coach Nick Saban has called the All-American one of the smartest players he's ever coached.

"I'm going to leave the university pretty satisfied with what I've done here," McClain said.

He said he believes he is leaving the Alabama defense in good shape.

"I think also that I have a few good linebackers behind me that can come in and contribute in such ways that I did," he said. "Guys like Don'ta [Hightower] being back next year and Nico Johnson having a good year this year and I think they'll come in and do just as good as I did."

Most projections have McClain going in the top half of the first round.[/QUOTE]

What do you guys think? I think he is definitely a top 5 talent, but i believe he will be drafted in the 8-15 area. Dont get it twisted this guy is a freak of nature and I would love to have him on the Jets no questions asked.

[IMG]http://media.al.com/kevin-scarbinsky/photo/rolando-mcclainjpg-03bdb32d4394700b_large.jpg[/IMG]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree, he's one of those special players that you have to take even if you've already got players at that position.

Smart, talented, hard working players like him always have a place in a Rex defense. He'd figure out a way to fit that kid into his scheme.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wasn't GHOLSTON a freak of nature too?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetswinbaby!;3453251]Wasn't GHOLSTON a freak of nature too?[/QUOTE]

McClain and Gholston are totally different players.

McClain is the heart and soul of the Bama D. He's their best player and everybody says he's the smartest player on the field, the hardest worker, and just a baller.

And I think he has the size and athletic ability to rotate around at the OLB spot in a 3-4. Rex would really have fun creating schemes around McClain and Harris.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    you've got David Harris on the team and gave Bart Scott $45mill a year ago- what would you do w/McClain???

he's not a pass rusher and does not play like an OLB....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    As much as I love McClain as a prospect, I tend to agree with CBNY where there's just no fit with us. But that's a Rex Ryan player if I ever saw one.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I dont see the jets trading up and taking him to be honest just because it wouldnt even come close to filling a need. But this guy is an intriguing player. I just hope no one in our division gets this guy because he is gona be wreaking havoc in the NFL for years to come much like Patrick Willis has done in his short career with the 49ers.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ven0m;3453490]As much as I love McClain as a prospect, I tend to agree with CBNY where there's just no fit with us. But that's a Rex Ryan player if I ever saw one.[/QUOTE]

We may already have 2 ILBs, but I think Rex would love this kid and would figure out a way to make it work with He, Harris and Scott.

None of it really matters because he's going well before we get the chance to pick him. Let's just hope NE doesn't package their 2nd rounders and trade up for him.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetswinbaby!;3453251]Wasn't GHOLSTON a freak of nature too?[/QUOTE]

- McClain is probably the best LB prospect since Willis.

- McClain has been playing LB for a while.

- McClain is big, fast, athletic, and smart. Think a better version of David Harris.

- Gholston had been playing football for 5 years.

- Gholston started for one year at OSU.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    i dont think he makes it out of the top 10 picks... maybe he gets to denver at 11... but i doubt it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;3467916]- McClain is probably the best LB prospect since Willis.

- McClain has been playing LB for a while.

- McClain is big, fast, athletic, and smart. [B]Think a better version of David Harris[/B].

- Gholston had been playing football for 5 years.

- Gholston started for one year at OSU.[/QUOTE]

Until McClain makes at least 2nd team All-Pro by his third NFL season, I'm going to ignore this statement.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    right now one of the most overrated players in the draft- more later..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3468180]right now one of the most overrated players in the draft- more later..[/QUOTE]

the people who say he is overrated do so in the hopes he falls to their team. he won't.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3468769]the people who say he is overrated do so in the hopes he falls to their team. he won't.[/QUOTE]

you throw darts at a board hoping they hit- I don't....

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3468180]right now one of the most overrated players in the draft- more later..[/QUOTE]

on the sidelines in Orlando this week someone, whose name is familiar to all, asked me how fast I thought McClain is....I said "4.78"..the response "that's generous"...the consensus is McClain is a one-dimensional, run stuffing, two down ILB with limited range and no cover skills...and if you watch him on film that's exactly what he is...people expect him to run 4.85 area....

funny- funny story....

the Shrine Game always has players from Canada on the roster....one was a kid named Matt Morencie of Windsor/OG...he's getting torched all morning on Wednesday....Torrell Troup of UCF clobber him on one play then John Dorsey, GM of the Packers yells out, "Welcome to America!"... :D

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3469786]you throw darts at a board hoping they hit- I don't....[/QUOTE]

i will agree he's not a pass rusher or a speed demon, and that will hurt his value... but looking at the board there's too many teams with too severe need at LB for this player to make it past top 20. Arizona for example has potentially 3 starting LB spots to fill this offseason. if he goes 7 or 17 i dont think thats a huge difference. Either way he's an elite LB.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3469959]i will agree he's not a pass rusher or a speed demon, and that will hurt his value... but looking at the board there's too many teams with too severe need at LB for this player to make it past top 20. Arizona for example has potentially 3 starting LB spots to fill this offseason. if he goes 7 or 17 i dont think thats a huge difference. Either way he's an elite LB.[/QUOTE]

top 20 is a hell of a big difference to many who claim he's top five...top 20 I'd agree with....top six no way...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3469970]top 20 is a hell of a big difference to many who claim he's top five...top 20 I'd agree with....top six no way...[/QUOTE]

agree - none of the teams in the top 6 need him... but all it takes is 1 team to get him into the top 10. CLE and OAK can both use him. Curry couldn't pass rush either, didn't hurt his stock too much.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3469791]on the sidelines in Orlando this week someone, whose name is familiar to all, asked me how fast I thought McClain is....I said "4.78"..the response "that's generous"...the consensus is McClain is a one-dimensional, run stuffing, two down ILB with limited range and no cover skills...and if you watch him on film that's exactly what he is...people expect him to run 4.85 area....

funny- funny story....

the Shrine Game always has players from Canada on the roster....one was a kid named Matt Morencie of Windsor/OG...he's getting torched all morning on Wednesday....Torrell Troup of UCF clobber him on one play then John Dorsey, GM of the Packers yells out, "Welcome to America!"... :D[/QUOTE]

Morencie is there this year? He was talked about a lot as big prospect in the CFL draft last year and went way way way later than expected, most teams thought he wasn't that good. One of these guys that has played many different positions oline being the latest I believe.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3470192]agree - none of the teams in the top 6 need him... but all it takes is 1 team to get him into the top 10. CLE and OAK can both use him. Curry couldn't pass rush either, didn't hurt his stock too much.[/QUOTE]

Cleveland could/might trade back into the first. They have 11 picks, and they probably want to make them count even if it ends up being 6 picks. They don't have to take them early.

I think he goes right around where Willis went...10-15 range.