Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: corner or wide-out in round 1

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

corner or wide-out in round 1

looking at the Jets roster... they really don't have alot of needs... at several positions (OL/DL/LB) they are literally so stacked that a first rounder would have real trouble getting playing time.

the holes, as I see them, are cornerback across from revis and wide receiver across from cotchery. Comparing the two, corner is probably a greater need than wide-out. (They have Braylon for at least another year, Lito is likely gone)

Thoughts? Am I way off base on this?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sucks this is such a weak CB class...Maybe Haden will have a terrible combine and slip to the 20's...

1st...Bryant/Benn/Williams..doubt Bryant will be there. and with Tanny's hard-on over the big10 I could see Benn being a Jet in april

2nd..Perrish Cox

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hands down I would take a CB. You solidify the spot across from Revis and
    make the secondary absolutely impossible to throw on. You can always
    get a WR later in the draft

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3454487]looking at the Jets roster... they really don't have alot of needs... at several positions (OL/DL/LB) they are literally so stacked that a first rounder would have real trouble getting playing time.

the holes, as I see them, are cornerback across from revis and wide receiver across from cotchery. Comparing the two, corner is probably a greater need than wide-out. (They have Braylon for at least another year, Lito is likely gone)

Thoughts? Am I way off base on this?[/QUOTE]

I'm fine with choosing either but Lito has played well when healthy, but I do see the #2 CB spot as our biggest hole.

If we went with a WR. I'd give the nod to Damian Williams, USC, for obvious reasons and the likelihood he'd be there in the later part of round 1.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=KRL;3454502]Hands down I would take a CB. You solidify the spot across from Revis and
    make the secondary absolutely impossible to throw on. You can always
    get a WR later in the draft[/QUOTE]

Haden will be gone, Warren might be there..Not sure any other CB's grade as a 1st rounder..maybe Ghee

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't mind Jordan Shipley from Texas.

I also don't think you have ever have enough D lineman.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3454487]looking at the Jets roster... they really don't have alot of needs... at several positions (OL/DL/LB) they are literally so stacked that a first rounder would have real trouble getting playing time.

What about a replacement for Jenkins who is not going to last forever?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

We're not a passing team and don't see WR as a need in Rd. 1. A ton of money goes to a guy that will hardly be utilized.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DowntownScience;3454557]What about a replacement for Jenkins who is not going to last forever?[/QUOTE]

they just resigned pouha and devito... green is playing well... jenks is 31 he really should have alot of football left. NT can play forever.

even ellis is 33 he's been maybe the most consistant Jets player over the last decade... might take a hometown discount to retire a Jet.

as for the other comments, I could definately see a Donovan Warren or Arrelious Benn pick - both make sense... or even this guy from Georgia Tech Demaryius Thomas. it comes down to 40 times whether any of these guys are "worth" the pick but the Jets could use all 3 of those players.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Between a CB and WR, I'd say we should go CB. This class isn't all that great though, so I'd probably try to go DL to help shore up some of the age issues we will be faced with in the coming years.

Devito, Pouha, and Green have done a great job, but we really need a top notch 3-4 DE.

But I would take a CB over a WR.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Best player available except for QB and RB. Though I would love a DE.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    WRs I wouldn't complain about if we took in Round 1:

Bryant
    Williams
    Benn
    Tate
    Gilyard

POSSIBLY DeMaryius Thomas...

CBs I wouldn't complain about:

Haden
    Warren

If you want to include all DBs:

Berry
    Mays
    Allen (maybe)
    Coleman (maybe)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    We need some youth on the DL so I'm all for taking the best 3-4 DE provided the value is still there. If not, and there's no CB that can't be had in the 2nd, then a WR like Shipley or Tate would be nice.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nose tackle.

You can't rely on Jenkins to stay healthy and having someone who could rotate with him and be almost or just as dominant is money.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bit, I could not agree with you more. I see the age creeping in on Jenkins, Elliss, Faneca and Woody but those guys can hold the fort for another season or two. (BTW-if Woody retires look for the Jets to plug in Turner and not seek help elsewhere).

But there is a real need at WR and CB. [B]If you really think about it there are only 2 NFL quality wideouts on this team![/B] Edwards and Cothery are an excellent duo but there is nothing behind them. We need, correction: Sanchez needs more targets moving forward. Golden Tate or the kid from SC are NEEDED additions. We need a reliable slot guy. We need to be able to go trips. As Mark progresses we will open up the passing attack more and he'll need that 3rd option in addition to what Keller brings to the tight end spot.

As far as CB goes I'd love to resign Lito but still bring in another kid to compete for the #2 spot. I think Lowery will have a long but undistinguished career in the league. He's a great 3 or 4. Lito would be great for the slot but to truly dominate we need another stud across from Revis.

Also, we could always go for another pass rusher. We don't have anyone on this team who can beat a Left Tackle 1 on 1. This is less of a need however due to Revis and Rex's incredible schemes.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm really warming up to the idea of taking Golden Tate in round 1.

He has the makeup of a fantastic slot receiver. The quick, shifty homerun hitter that we desperately need.

Either Tate in the 1st or Shipley in the 2nd. Either way I think we need to add another receiver on day one.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    let me also add to the list CB Perrish Cox, Okla State, he sounds like a real beast in bump and run.

i dont know if a slot receiver is worth more than a #2 CB. tate's return ability makes him more valuable.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Two scenarios I would LOVE on day one:

1st round: WR Golden Tate - Notre Dame

2nd round: DE Arthur Jones - Syracuse

OR

1st round: DE Jared Odrick - Penn State

2nd round: WR Jordan Shipley - Texas

I really think that adding another 3-4 end and a slot receiver are the top priorities.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This makes sense to me, but the problem I see is that this draft isn't really top heavy with CBs. Lots of quality guys, but only one stud. I don't think I've seen anyone but Haden with a consensus 1st round grade. Warren I like, but how much better is he than the slew of dudes who are going in round 2-3?

And there are a few WRs who are really good, but who are the top 3? Which one is the best fit for the Jets?

There are a number of guys I really like and I'd trust Tanny's judgement on which ever player they took if it was from one of these positions.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TheMikeIsHot;3454870]This makes sense to me, but the problem I see is that this draft isn't really top heavy with CBs. Lots of quality guys, but only one stud. I don't think I've seen anyone but Haden with a consensus 1st round grade. Warren I like, but how much better is he than the slew of dudes who are going in round 2-3?

And there are a few WRs who are really good, but who are the top 3? Which one is the best fit for the Jets?

There are a number of guys I really like and I'd trust Tanny's judgement on which ever player they took if it was from one of these positions.[/QUOTE]

don't like Warren at all, though I have not completely broken him down in '09...the guy that has grown on me is Kareem Jackson of Bama...