Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;3454845]Two scenarios I would LOVE on day one:

1st round: WR Golden Tate - Notre Dame

2nd round: DE Arthur Jones - Syracuse

OR

1st round: DE Jared Odrick - Penn State

2nd round: WR Jordan Shipley - Texas

I really think that adding another 3-4 end and a slot receiver are the top priorities.[/QUOTE]

I'll take Option 1 please.

Option 2 is highly overrated. Give me Jones/Gilyard or Oghobaase/Gilyard if not Tate/Jones or Tate/Oghobaase.

I like that we're free from the restraints of traditional drafting. We want a Golden Tate...we can take him earlier than most because we're not worried about finding a starter in a specific position this draft. If you're a good prospect and the Jets like you...good year...we're basically going to go with who we think is the BPA...Tate (or Gilyard, or Shipley I guess) have the advantage of being able to fill our biggest weakness on offense...#3 WR.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 01-13-2010 at 04:42 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    should be noted that the Jets have 2 half way decent WR prospects on the P-squad (Britt and Henry). they have 2 half-way decent DL prospects on the P-squad (Kroul and Steinkuhler)

they have no cornerbacks on the psquad.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3454487]looking at the Jets roster... they really don't have alot of needs... at several positions (OL/DL/LB) they are literally so stacked that a first rounder would have real trouble getting playing time.

the holes, as I see them, are cornerback across from revis and wide receiver across from cotchery. Comparing the two, corner is probably a greater need than wide-out. (They have Braylon for at least another year, Lito is likely gone)

Thoughts? Am I way off base on this?[/QUOTE]

The way it looks with the way the Jets are going to be face free agency is they need to resign Sheppard and draft a WR. If they are able to sign one unrestricted (because of the collective bargaining agreement) free agent the need to get a big time pass rusher.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3454882]don't like Warren at all, though I have not completely broken him down in '09...the guy that has grown on me is Kareem Jackson of Bama...[/QUOTE]

+1. He mauls WR's though so he might have to check his physicality a bit.

Good CB's get away with it I suppose...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3454578]they just resigned pouha and devito... green is playing well... [B]jenks is 31 he really should have alot of football left. NT can play forever. [/B]

even ellis is 33 he's been maybe the most consistant Jets player over the last decade... might take a hometown discount to retire a Jet.

as for the other comments, I could definately see a Donovan Warren or Arrelious Benn pick - both make sense... or even this guy from Georgia Tech Demaryius Thomas. it comes down to 40 times whether any of these guys are "worth" the pick but the Jets could use all 3 of those players.[/QUOTE]

Didn't Big Jenk almost retire last year?

I know the idea of playing for Rex will influence his decision again this year, but the injury history on this guy combined with his near retirement last year makes me think that he [I]might[/I] not have a lot of football left in him.

Pouha and Green have done a nice job. No doubt about it.

But there are only so many NT talents on the planet. Some drafts don't even have them. Why not try to take one in a draft that has NT prospects at a time when we have the flexibility (because of both roster, and draft position)?

Furthermore, you know it can take NT's time to develop. I'd rather take one sooner than later.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I want Youth on the DL, tell Douglas thanks but either accept a backup role or move on, or a Pass Rusher (The guy we thought we were getting in Gholston, unfortauntely)

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Golden Taint all the way!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cb and Wr are both needs, but I think an edge rusher is even a bigger need.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SafetyBlitz;3455009]Didn't Big Jenk almost retire last year?
    [/QUOTE]

the same Big Jenk who wishes he could play in the playoffs if only the IR rules were different

#77 says alot of things. He's under contract for a while, that's all that matters.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Golden Tate would be absoultely perfect for us. IMO the most glaring need is at WR. After Cotch and Edwards, wehave no depth. Tate could be a very gppd #3 slot guy and return man. He is very versatile and a big play guy.

Other needs I see being addressed in the draft are DL (youth needed), OL (depth needed) and CB (dime needed).

I see a versatile TE type (nothing super stellar) and starting calibre corner being addressed in free agency.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think WR is a bigger need...
    Cotchery is the only dependable wideout on this team.
    They also typically take a longer to develop vs cb.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3455190]the same Big Jenk who wishes he could play in the playoffs if only the IR rules were different

#77 says alot of things. He's under contract for a while, that's all that matters.[/QUOTE]

If he really said that and he meant it, i.e. he's healthy and he can't wait to get back, then I'm satisfied. But that's up to Rex and Mike T to figure that out before draft day.

I hope so, Jenkins puts this defense over the top.

As for WR, you know I think Braylon has done nothing to deserve to stay on this team and if we could find a WR with big play, down the field ability that's worth his draft slot, sign me up.

Second corner, only if it was a true steal, though I'd rather draft a rush linerbacker. Vernon Gholston is the problem. We don't get enough sacks. We're damn good on defense, and for most people that's fine, but we could be GREAT. If we had someone with serious pass rush ability, this defense will win us the superbowl.

Our best shot with our roster right now is to build a dominant defense in this short window of Ellis, Douglas, Jenkins (if it is as you say) and Rex's guaranteed tenure as head coach. Give Rex the tools. We're so close to a great defense. Look what the Giants did with a young talent at quarterback and a great, great defense. The Steelers before that. The Patriots before that. The Bucs (except Brad Johnson was a vet) before that.

His defensive style is attack the quarterback. Give him that player. I don't care if we have a glut of linebackers or defensive ends. In a 3-4, you need those players to get after the quarterback.
    Last edited by SafetyBlitz; 01-13-2010 at 11:56 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let's set ourselves up to age and deteriorate just like the Patriots :rolleyes:

33 31 33... those will be the ages of our Defensive line by next season. One of which will be coming off of major knee surgery. And I don't care what anyone says; the players we have in rotation now will NOT at any point be more than that... rotational players.

This will be the best draft class of defensive linemen in years and probably the worst corner and wideout class in awhile... you take the best player available. Period.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The problem I have is that I do not see good value at the CB or the WR position from our draft spot in round one. In round two, IMHO there should be several CB's available. but in the WR department the only guy I would want is Gilyard (sorry , don't care for Shiply 4th round:eek:) and I understand his availability is unlikely.
    The Jets have choices at WR, Allison, Woodhead, Clowney, Smith, Wright, Davis etc..... if the Jets cannot decide, I think an avenue of approach is cheap old veterans or Inexpensive free agents. I like Lance Moore Wr out of New Orleans, or someone at vet minimum ( get ready to cringe ) like Bobby Wade.
    I can see the Jets investing a Second Round Pick in a CB, I also see a late round pick being used for a CB.
    Lito & Strickland have been hurt most of the year. I think Rex likes Coleman more than I do. Cole is an unknown.
    I look to have an impact player in round one, so I am in favor of Graham or Hughes. If that is unavailable, I think you go DL to replace Ellis. My third alternative is to obtain a player who is dominant at their position. Considering Iupati at OG ( haven't seen him play) as a replacement for Faneca or Woody.
    Kindly note, I drank the Green Kool Aide on Adriene Clarke...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ven0m;3455043]I want Youth on the DL, tell Douglas thanks but either accept a backup role or move on, or a Pass Rusher (The guy we thought we were getting in Gholston, unfortauntely)[/QUOTE]

I absolutely agree. The DLine is extremely important to every defense. Practice squad guys and backups are nice and fine but you don't plan your future like that. With almost every DLine player north of 30 you look to add youth, talent youth. Doesn't have to be a first rounder but in a draft deep in terms of DLine prospects, someone really good should be available at our second pick...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FreshBaked 24 7;3455529]Let's set ourselves up to age and deteriorate just like the Patriots :rolleyes:

33 31 33... those will be the ages of our Defensive line by next season. One of which will be coming off of major knee surgery. And I don't care what anyone says; the players we have in rotation now will NOT at any point be more than that... rotational players.

This will be the best draft class of defensive linemen in years and probably the worst corner and wideout class in awhile... you take the best player available. Period.[/QUOTE]

This is a ridiculous draft for D-Lineman. The fact that an arthur jones could be available in the 3rd round, says all you need to know about that. Its also shaping up to be a very good WR class, with Damian Williams etc declaring.

I think we take Best Available, with OL, DL and WR as our main targets, and if possible trade down.

You can never have enough good Offensive lineman....they make the offense go, and keep you competitive. Our Defense is and will be our strength and that has to always be addressed.

WR can do 1 of 2 things. Shipley can possibly give us a welker-esque slot guy which would be great for this offense. If he is gone or we like a williams or Benn better, then we can keep Braylon for 1 more year, and let him go and one of the young guys can hopefully take his place.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    rex is going defense in round 1. last year they drafted 3 guys, all offense. rex knew he had to do it, but you know that especially after this season, he's going to be able to have more say in who they draft. even if the jets don't resign edwards, they're probably going DL in round 1, and then in round 2, either cb or wr, depending on value.

a lot depends on whether they keep edwards. if they keep him, they go DL in round 1, secondary in round 2. if they do not keep edwards, i think they may be more likely to take a wr in round 1, and if they do that, then they go best defensive player in round 2.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3454487]looking at the Jets roster... they really don't have alot of needs... at several positions (OL/DL/LB) they are literally so stacked that a first rounder would have real trouble getting playing time.

the holes, as I see them, are cornerback across from revis and wide receiver across from cotchery. Comparing the two, corner is probably a greater need than wide-out. (They have Braylon for at least another year, Lito is likely gone)

Thoughts? Am I way off base on this?[/QUOTE]

I like the corner need but I also think they need a natural pass rusher to allow them to send less on blitzes and keep more people protecting the pass. I am ok wiht the offense if we keep Edwards. I understand his bad hands, but I have to believe one of these times he gets open long he is going to haul it in. The trick with him is to make it a difficult catch. He does better with them than the easy ones. I'd also like a little more depth on the O-line.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SafetyBlitz;3455528] I'd rather draft a rush linerbacker. Vernon Gholston is the problem. We don't get enough sacks. [/QUOTE]

just watching the NFL replay again, Bryan Thomas and Shaun Ellis had key sacks at the end... Bryan Thomas especially had a great game. Pace has been beastly at times. If they draft a rush backer, I don't think he plays. He sits on the bench with Vernon Gholston and plays specials.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I want to get younger on the defensive line. Aren't there a grip of solid defensive tackle prospects set to go in the 1st?