Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: corner or wide-out in round 1

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FreshBaked 24 7;3458154]The defense knows they can play. Rex knows they can be elite no matter what the change. But we have a rookie QB going into his second season that hasn't even had a full offseason with some of the players on the offense. Keep the offense the same this year... let them grow into their role. Until then as long as we have to rely on our defense to fall back on we MUST get younger/bigger/faster/stronger for the long haul.[/QUOTE]

that's what people seem to forget- is anyone here ready to say Sanchez will be a Super Bowl caliber QB next year?? in 2011???

point being he's may not be at that point until 2011, and that's giving him the benefit of the doubt and assuming everything falls into place- by then guys like Ellis and Jenkins will be at the end of the line- the 2010 draft's strength is d-line- it is setting up well for the Jets....

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    i would go for the wr williams or dt cody. if neither are available, take the best player available, i don't care if its OL, CB, LB, whatever...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    with ellis injured, rex/tanny will see the need to have backup pass rushers. i'd say the odds are 75% that the jets go DL in round 1.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't want a corner this year. I'd rather just keep Lito or sign Richard Marshall. It's not a huge need IMO. Lowery has been much better and statistically, our secondary owns every other one in the league.

I want a linemen and a pass rusher/DL.

Best case scenario would be to move back to the early 2nd and pick up a 3rd rounder.

Early 2) Eric Norwood
    Our 2) Mardy Gilyard
    3) Selvish Capers

I'm ok with not getting a DL. I feel like we can plug any number of guys in there and have some success. DeVito/Jenkins/Ellis is pretty good and we can rotate in Pouha and Douglas.

Gilyard would be pretty sweet. We really need to provide Sanchez with a bunch of weapons and he can be a pretty sweet slot receiver and kick returner. Braylon/Cotch/Keller/Gilyard/Leon in the passing game would give Franchez a lot of options.

OL is really, really important IMO. It's unrealistic to expect our line to go without any injuries much longer. If we can get a G like Mike Johnson/Mike Iupati or a RT like Capers, we would be in really good shape if one of our guys went down.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like the idea of DE in the first round. We need youth at the position. Douglas, Green, Devito...they all can play but are limited in their roles. And with the influx of 3-4 teams now in this league you have to grab those 3-4 lineman early. Last year was weak for 3-4 lineman/nose tackles. This draft has alot of them. You need to grab them while you can. Give me Jared Odrick or Corey Wooton in the first.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3457689]to your point-

you rely on guys like Bryant Thomas who are inconsistent or even players like DeVito who lack the upside, and rely on them on a fulltime basis and you're never going to take the next step up....these guys are solid but not difference makers...[/QUOTE]

Exactly my point of view. Now DeVito was sensational last week against the Chargers and brought great pressure up the middle. But in the end, all our projected starters right now are older than 30 and you don't wait until the need occurs to fill it with panic. Douglas propably fits in the same mold as guys like Bryan Thomas, good, solid players but certainly spots where you can upgrade the D. Now DeVito can only play one position. We can't get blind over our holes just because we won two playoff games.

Another thing we should consider is that our coaching staff this year and mainly Rex have been fantastic developing the game of their players. Pouha has taken a huge step forward, Green all of a sudden is a servicable backup, DeVito has developed tremendously. Now if you got such a good coaching staff who really can elevate the game of their players, imagine what they could do to real bluechip prospects and secure a dominant defensive front for many years to come.

OLB is an incredible deep position this year, so I could also see us looking for good value there and groom that demon individual edge rusher we haven't had since Abraham. Such a player would make our defense incredibly dominating, even more than they are now...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FreshBaked 24 7;3455529]

33 31 33... those will be the ages of our Defensive line by next season. One of which will be coming off of major knee surgery. And I don't care what anyone says; the players we have in rotation now will NOT at any point be more than that... rotational players.

[B]This will be the best draft class of defensive linemen in years and probably the worst corner and wideout class in awhile... [/B][B]you take the best player available.[/B][/QUOTE]

great points, however you kinda contradict yourself in your last paragraph, as there are two ways to look at the great depth of DL in this year's draft:

It either means that a DL meant for Top 20 in a "typical year draft" could slip to the Jets at 29-32nd spot, or if instead there are 6 to 8 DL of 2nd round caliber left for the Jets at 29-32nd pick in 1st round then they can take a 1st round talent WR or DB at 29-32 and be expectant that one of those 6 to 8 DL of 2nd round caliber are still there at 61st to 64th overall pick...
    Last edited by Kleckomania; 01-22-2010 at 09:48 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Flaming Mo;3472656]

Another thing we should consider is that our coaching staff this year and mainly Rex have been fantastic developing the game of their players. Pouha has taken a huge step forward, Green all of a sudden is a servicable backup, DeVito has developed tremendously. Now if you got such a good coaching staff who really can elevate the game of their players, imagine what they could do to real bluechip prospects and secure a dominant defensive front for many years to come.

OLB is an incredible deep position this year, so I could also see us looking for good value there and groom that demon individual edge rusher we haven't had since Abraham. Such a player would make our defense incredibly dominating, even more than they are now...[/QUOTE]

great points. It is so obvious that both the BIGGEST need and the only real weakness of the current Jets defense is a pass rusher. If this current Jets D had someone like Freeney or Mathis they would be as good as the 2000 Ravens defense, maybe even better. A pass rushing DE would also mean Rex could find about 100 new schemes for Calvin Pace to excel in.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Kleckomania;3473103]great points. It is so obvious that both the BIGGEST need and the only real weakness of the current Jets defense is a pass rusher. If this current Jets D had someone like Freeney or Mathis they would be as good as the 2000 Ravens defense, maybe even better. [B]A pass rushing DE would also mean Rex could find about 100 new schemes for Calvin Pace to excel in[/B].[/QUOTE]

Excellent point. As of now, none of our players really needs to be double teamed or game planned against off the edge. That means opponents can concentrate on protection schemes against our blitz and work their TEs and RBs that way. Now when you find that monster edge rusher on one side you would take a lot of attention away from the blitzers which would make them that much more effective. Pace would also benefit from that.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3454487]looking at the Jets roster... they really don't have alot of needs... at several positions (OL/DL/LB) they are literally so stacked that a first rounder would have real trouble getting playing time.

the holes, as I see them, are cornerback across from revis and wide receiver across from cotchery. Comparing the two, corner is probably a greater need than wide-out. (They have Braylon for at least another year, Lito is likely gone)

Thoughts? Am I way off base on this?[/QUOTE]

where the jets will be drafting.they will have a choice of either drafting up.or drafting down.the jets needs will be at defensive end.there are many good ones in this draft.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jets rooter;3473594]where the jets will be drafting.they will have a choice of either drafting up.or drafting down.the jets needs will be at defensive end.there are many good ones in this draft.[/QUOTE]

In regards to drafting a defensive end in the first, I think you're overlooking Rex's coaching. He came into B'more as DL coach and stayed so until 2004, that position is his specialty. We can draft depth there in the later rounds. We've been pretty good in the fourth anyway and I'd grab one there. I honestly believe that he can coach them up.

We have two undrafted players (Douglass and DeVito) on our d-line starting in the AFC Championship game. Most recently even though he's an ILB, look at Westermann, undrafted and he's made a lot of plays under Rex.

I believe CB and WR are more pressing needs in the first and second. Golden Tate in the first would be a pick no one should complain about. He is a clear impact rookie like Nicks and Harvin. A CB with height in the 2nd like Brandon Ghee or Trevard Lindley.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't agree with the premise of the thread at all.

The Jets have some good starters but depth is not a place you draft because the potential player won't see playing time based on the current depth chart.

You draft, and i think you know this bit, for several years down the line.

Because that is the case, you draft any position the best player is at outside of QB.

There is almost no position i wouldn't draft in favor of another outside of QB, and maybe safety or TE.
    Last edited by Darth Vader; 01-24-2010 at 10:51 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Darth Vader;3476827]I don't agree with the premise of the thread at all.

The Jets have some good starters but depth is not a place you draft because the potential player won't see playing time based on the current depth chart.

You draft, and i think you know this bit, for several years down the line.

Because that is the case, you draft any position the best player is at outside of CB.

There is almost no position i wouldn't draft in favor of another outside of QB, and maybe safety or TE.[/QUOTE]

+1 BPA

... now if the BPA is a big hoss DL or stud passrusher I'll be a pig in sh1t.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This game proved that we need a bonafide edge rusher. Whether it be Kindle, Hughes, JPP, Brandon Graham, George Selvie or Eric Norwood, we really need one in the first round.