Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Post Game Thoughts

Jets Insider VIP
    Thanks Jason, sought out your post out here and was NOT disappointed.... Great Writing!!!!:yes:

[QUOTE=Jason423;3462405]Coaching[/B]

Rex Ryan has accomplished more than anyone thought possible with this team. He had a brilliant gameplan set up defensively today and bucked conventional wisdom by moving his star corner all over the field rather than blanketing Jackson. While sometimes it did not pay off, the overall result made it a huge success. Ryan made a super gutsy call going for it on 4th and 1 to close out the game and I donít think there was even an argument to play it another way. Give credit to Brian Schottenheimer for having his guys snap the ball quickly rather than going through the motions of trying to draw a team offsides before the snap. That caught the Chargers napping. The staff held to their gameplan even when the game looked to be getting away from the Jets. There was no panic from anyone and the Jets felt they would wear the team out and be able to make enough plays to win the game and that is exactly what they did.

When Ryan reviews the tape he will think twice about two decisions he made. Allowing Sanchez to spike the ball rather than taking a time out at the end of the first half was a bad choice. Had the Jets been in field goal range that was the proper play, but when you still need at least 10 more yards for a field goal attempt you can not waste a down. The second one was not being prepared for the 4th and 1 situation in the 3rd quarter. Wasting a time out was unacceptable. Phil Simms made a great point that they would have been better off challenging a spot in that case. Still, he is a rookie coach, coaching his first Divisional round playoff game, and if that is the worst that happened and they won then he did a great job.
    [/QUOTE]

^^THIS.

i think great coaching was the main reason we won today. the first quarter offense was ugly, with three-and-out after three-and-out after three-and-out, but our coaching staff stuck to its guns and didn't panic. midway through the 2nd quarter, the SD defense was already feeling the effects of TJ and Greene's pounding and they started to wear down, allowing Sanchez to get into a rhythm. momentum had swung, and they were no match for us in the 2nd half.

the defensive game-plan was great, as well. shut down the run, shut down the big play. yeah, they picked up a lot of yardage early on, but only did minimal damage. we kept plays in front of us and took away SD's vaunted "quick strike" ability. Rex knew we couldn't afford to get in a shootout and that we'd have trouble coming back from a two-score deficit: mission accomplished. when the first quarter ended 0-0 and the half 7-0 with us getting the ball back, i knew we had a legit chance to win.

last but not least -- YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME. going for the win on 4th and 1 (and converting) was one of my favorite and proudest moments as a Jets fan. Rex having the stones to go for it, to run it up the middle when EVERYBODY watching the game knew we were running it up the middle, and then watching our guys impose their will on SD and getting the 2 yards to seal the game... that was ****ing awesome.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Nice, Jason.

In typical Jet fan fashion, I woke up happy and still steamed about the Jim Leonard fumble recovery getting f'd over in the replay booth. What a play by him to cause it and then recover it. Worst blown review I've seen.

But......:D:D

the one problem the jets will be facing next week is that manning and the colts do the whole hurry up offense thing to perfection. i think they will be able to limit the number of jet substitutions and wear out the team on the field. i'm surprised that san diego didn't try but they're a bunch of punks led by that useless norv turner so maybe they just didn't think of it.

of course the jets can counter that by running hard and controlling the clock. once again the game will come down to the guys in the trenches.

right, but truth be known there's no need to panic if you're down by only one score in the first half. if the cargers had been able to score 14 or more points, the whole run game plan goes out the window. it would have been interesting although edwards made some tough catches as did cotchery. as long as sanchez doesn't make wild throws, they can do pretty well passing.

[QUOTE=Dirtstar;3463398]^^THIS.

i think great coaching was the main reason we won today. the first quarter offense was ugly, with three-and-out after three-and-out after three-and-out, but our coaching staff stuck to its guns and didn't panic. midway through the 2nd quarter, the SD defense was already feeling the effects of TJ and Greene's pounding and they started to wear down, allowing Sanchez to get into a rhythm. momentum had swung, and they were no match for us in the 2nd half.

the defensive game-plan was great, as well. shut down the run, shut down the big play. yeah, they picked up a lot of yardage early on, but only did minimal damage. we kept plays in front of us and took away SD's vaunted "quick strike" ability. Rex knew we couldn't afford to get in a shootout and that we'd have trouble coming back from a two-score deficit: mission accomplished. when the first quarter ended 0-0 and the half 7-0 with us getting the ball back, i knew we had a legit chance to win.

last but not least -- YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME. going for the win on 4th and 1 (and converting) was one of my favorite and proudest moments as a Jets fan. Rex having the stones to go for it, to run it up the middle when EVERYBODY watching the game knew we were running it up the middle, and then watching our guys impose their will on SD and getting the 2 yards to seal the game... that was ****ing awesome.[/QUOTE]

Veteran
    Your conclusion rings true Jason. I think we should all " treasure" this. As Jets fan, in the past these moments have been rare. We have come along way from such highlight material as the "Bubby Brister shovel pass". I for one, am grateful.

[QUOTE=sameoldjets;3463441]right, but truth be known there's no need to panic if you're down by only one score in the first half. if the cargers had been able to score 14 or more points, the whole run game plan goes out the window. it would have been interesting although edwards made some tough catches as did cotchery. as long as sanchez doesn't make wild throws, they can do pretty well passing.[/QUOTE]

you're absolutely right, there's no need to panic -- but a lot of time coaches do. God knows we've seen it before. after 3 straight three-and-outs, a lot of coaches would've abandoned the run for a few series hoping to "spark" the offense, especially with San Diego moving the ball quite easily (albeit without scoring).

i'm loving the fact that we know what our identity is, and that the whole team is focused on imposing their will on the opposition and establishing the pace of the game to our own benefit. we're gonna need to do that big-time vs. Peyton.

Hall Of Fame
    Good call on the spike play vs. a taking TO Jason. I would only add that a Favre or other experienced QB might also have noticed a completely unguarded Braylon Edwards out on the left without a Charger within 15 yards. Toss it left to Edwards and you get a big gain or he drops it for the incompletion, then you end up where with the same result as a spike anyway.

I agree on the missed FGs not being as big a factor as whiney Bolts fans would like to have you think. Rex actually apologized to Jets fans for the defense playing soft on that TD drive and that we were playing the clock a little bit. So it goes. Bolts fans are already finding ways to describe the game not as a Jets win but as a game that the offense had it's worst game of the season and handed it to us.

Amazing how almost every week opponents spontaneously up and decide to have their worst offensive performance of the season eh? Nothing to do with what the defense is doing at all...

I would also like to add my own deep appreciation for an undermanned defensive line after Shawn Ellis went down because they did an awesome job all day long stopping the run and getting pressure when we only rushed three. Props to Ellis for making it back in there and clogging the middle on some plays. Devito particularly and Sione Pouha had great games I thought.