Thread: Jets shutting down San Diego's screen game. HUGE

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Jets shutting down San Diego's screen game. HUGE

Their screen game is literally like their running game and the Jets looked more prepared for those screens than I've EVER seen a team prepared for screens before. I know Rex was a D Line coach over at B More so i'm sure he had a lot to do with it but our D literally eliminated that from their game plan. They tried about 3 or 4 to no avail. I mean at times the play didn't even get off cause it was so well read. I thought this was huge for us cause once the chargers abandoned that ... we could just rush full steam ahead. This has been overlooked and not mentioned but it was huge for us yesterday.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    very true.

i hope we can somehow slow down Peyton's quick, short passes.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    How about the screen to Sproles that Jim Leonhard blew up? Leonhard faked blizing Rivers, then went right to Sproles, who looked stunned that he had read the play. Awesome effort by the heart of our defense, Jim Leonhard. That guy can flat out f**king play.

Veteran
    Clark University, by way of West Orange, NJ
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;3463707]How about the screen to Sproles that Jim Leonhard blew up? Leonhard faked blizing Rivers, then went right to Sproles, who looked stunned that he had read the play. Awesome effort by the heart of our defense, Jim Leonhard. That guy can flat out f**king play.[/QUOTE]

That was a nice play, and Thomas had a great play where he read a screen and blew it up

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;3463707]How about the screen to Sproles that Jim Leonhard blew up? Leonhard faked blizing Rivers, then went right to Sproles, who looked stunned that he had read the play. Awesome effort by the heart of our defense, Jim Leonhard. That guy can flat out f**king play.[/QUOTE]

That play was awesome...had me yelling "IN YOUR FACE"

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    GREAT point. I noticed that too, especially with some tackles for loss behind the LOS.

Let's face it, we all had the same concerns - Sure, we can probably stop their running game, shut down long passes to Vincent Jackson....but then you have to make some tough decisions about committing LBs or Safeties to the LOS to cover RBs out of the backfield and to cover Gates. The Jets did an amazing job yesterday!

It gives me some hope for Indy. First of all, Manning>Rivers and astroturf/dome is tougher than open stadium and grass. The Colts love the fast track. BUT, we've now showed that we can slowdown a high powered offense with a very good QB and lots of weapons.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=njherdfan;3463719]That was a nice play, and Thomas had a great play where he read a screen and blew it up[/QUOTE]

Thomas had a great game. No play bigger than when he stopped them short on that key third down by sticking the tackle on #35 (?). Massive.

[QUOTE=Stan Blinka;3463722]That play was awesome...had me yelling "IN YOUR FACE"[/QUOTE]

My voice is gone. If you walked past my home during yesterday's game, you would have thought someone was getting killed. LOL.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    this is what makes rex so great. if you listen to his postgame interview, he has a name for this..its spy one and a half or something where they use basically two guys to thwart the screen pass. it is absolutely amazing watching this defense. it sucks that these games dont show too many good replays or break these plays down because it is just amazing to watch. on the strip sack by rhodes, they has someone on sproles (eric smith) who is normally rivers out on that play but since he was covered, sack!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

I loved that play. Pretty much set the tone that we weren't going to be suckered by the screen. There was also another one where LT got tackled [I]from behind[/I] on a screen right at the LOS. That's how alert the D was yesterday.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=fullblast;3463742]I loved that play. Pretty much set the tone that we weren't going to be suckered by the screen. There was also another one where LT got tackled [I]from behind[/I] on a screen right at the LOS. That's how alert the D was yesterday.[/QUOTE]

I loved seeing LT continue his playoff "legacy". Bottom line: Our D out played their O. Period. We wanted it more and were better prepared. Kudos to Rex, Pettine and the rest of the coaches. They had seven points with, what, three minutes left? Where were the 36 points that all the "analysts" had predicted. Face it, those kind of games are where the defensive guru/genius, Rex Ryan, excels. Go ask any of the Ravens if they miss Rex.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=frankiepapa;3463734]this is what makes rex so great. if you listen to his postgame interview, he has a name for this..its spy one and a half or something where they use basically two guys to thwart the screen pass. it is absolutely amazing watching this defense. it sucks that these games dont show too many good replays or break these plays down because it is just amazing to watch. on the strip sack by rhodes, they has someone on sproles (eric smith) who is normally rivers out on that play but since he was covered, sack!![/QUOTE]

These non-descript plays are really the story behind this game. They talk about missed field goals and penalties...hey, that stuff happens to either team on any given week.You respond by making plays and overcoming. The Bolts could not do that. It is what happens on all of the other plays, and how we were prepared and kept to the gameplan that most can't appreciate.