Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The "I'm acting strange and people are concerned about me because of the Jets" Thread

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ha you guys all have it down to absolute perfection. I'm slightly worried for my own well being or public image on Sunday - I'm in Indiana an hour from the game, watching with a house full of at least 30+ Colts fans, me being the lone Jets fan (though I do have a couple of guys pulling for us over the Colts). Normally I like to watch alone, and something as emotional as this can turn horribly wrong...all in all I just don't wanna hurt any one in the aftermath or inversely have to defend myself in a drunken tear filled fit of joyousness.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;3467910]Okay, here it goes...

Has anyone else started to act strangely or find themselves doing weird things since Sunday's win? :O Or, are people treating you differently? I'm honestly getting weirded out by some things....

I put my 1 year old daughter's blankie in the refrigerator and left the milk on the counter overnight yesterday. :eek:

I'm completely distracted at work and almost forgot to submit a critical status report this week. :(

I'm now Tivo'ing or directly watching 3+ hours of NFL Network daily including Total Access, Playbook and re-runs of critical games from earlier in the season. I've been a casual watcher all along but now it's like I'm addicted. Brian Billick offered his Super Bowl ring to Rich Eisen tonight to try on and I almost got choked up for some reason. :O

I'm getting phone calls, emails and Facebook messages from distant friends and relatives I haven't spoken to in months saying things like, "How about those Jets?" and "You must be going crazy right now!" I haven't really been responding to them.

My wife looks at me tonight and says, "If you're not going to Indy this weekend, what should I do on Sunday? Do you want to go out with friends for the game? Just tell me, like do you want to be home alone? Should I take the kids somewhere all day? Is it safe to leave you alone?" Sheezus Christmas!!!!....am I THAT bad? I mean, do I look THAT disturbed? People she works with are asking her how I'm doing...like I'm in some kind of rehab program or a bubble or something! lol

Okay, now that I've fessed up as to how much of a loon I've been since stepping off a plane from San Diego Sunday at midnight, following what some commentators are calling the 2nd biggest win in the history of the New York Jets, is anyone else finding themselves acting weird or being treated differently too?

I guess my mind is racing. I keep thinking about the opportunity in front of this team to do something special, and how fleeting those opportunities are....the fact that I've been alive for 2 Jets AFC Championship games, only 1 of which I'm old enough to remember (1998-1999). Why can I remember Victor Green losing Ed McCaffrey deep down the field for a big Elway completion that totally turned the game around in 1999, but I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday? Maybe I'm distracted because of the fact that this Sunday no matter what happens, good or bad, it will almost definitely leave a permanent spot in my memory for the rest of my life....and I'm just praying that it's a good memory.

It's exciting and nerve-racking. It's like the first time you push your kid down the street on a bicycle with no training wheels....you're kind of proud and excited while hoping not to see a disaster! For a large percentage of us on this messageboard this is the furthest the New York Jets have EVER advanced in our lifetimes. I have extreme confidence that the future is bright for this team with Rex Ryan and Mark Sanchez. It IS a very different experience than 1998 because that was an aging team with a coach in Parcells who you were never sure how long he'd stay. 1998 was a tough loss because I felt the window wouldn't be open long and we all saw how one injury in 1999 could derail a team's SB chances. It IS different now, I expect this team to have lots of opportunities over the next several years. But that doesn't guarantee that they will, and maybe that's why I'm slightly losing my mind this week![/QUOTE]

I keep thinking about your wife :eek:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TokyoJetsFan;3468028]I keep thinking about your wife :eek:[/QUOTE]

:steamin:

;) Ha! Think about that Swedish woman still chasing you around, Tiger.

BTW, have you decided? Are you going?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Haven't done anything too crazy, but I just feel "distracted". When I woke up on Monday, the first thing I did do is turn to my wife and asked her to confirm that I was not dreaming and that the Jets DID beat the Chargers! I have gotten A LOT of phone calls so far asking how I was doing and if I would be going to the SuperBowl if they win on Sunday. I am in a heavy "Giant" neighborhood and have taken big time abuse over the years. I am happy to say that most of my neighbors seem happy for me and have said they are rooting for the Jets for me (at least to my face) :)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    To be honest, the last 3 weeks have been like a dream: winning games, bandwagons all over the place, Carvel running out of Jets ice cream cakes..... its CRAZY! :eek:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;3467910]Okay, here it goes...

Has anyone else started to act strangely or find themselves doing weird things since Sunday's win? :O Or, are people treating you differently? I'm honestly getting weirded out by some things....

I put my 1 year old daughter's blankie in the refrigerator and left the milk on the counter overnight yesterday. :eek:

I'm completely distracted at work and almost forgot to submit a critical status report this week. :(

I'm now Tivo'ing or directly watching 3+ hours of NFL Network daily including Total Access, Playbook and re-runs of critical games from earlier in the season. I've been a casual watcher all along but now it's like I'm addicted. Brian Billick offered his Super Bowl ring to Rich Eisen tonight to try on and I almost got choked up for some reason. :O

I'm getting phone calls, emails and Facebook messages from distant friends and relatives I haven't spoken to in months saying things like, "How about those Jets?" and "You must be going crazy right now!" I haven't really been responding to them.

My wife looks at me tonight and says, "If you're not going to Indy this weekend, what should I do on Sunday? Do you want to go out with friends for the game? Just tell me, like do you want to be home alone? Should I take the kids somewhere all day? Is it safe to leave you alone?" Sheezus Christmas!!!!....am I THAT bad? I mean, do I look THAT disturbed? People she works with are asking her how I'm doing...like I'm in some kind of rehab program or a bubble or something! lol

Okay, now that I've fessed up as to how much of a loon I've been since stepping off a plane from San Diego Sunday at midnight, following what some commentators are calling the 2nd biggest win in the history of the New York Jets, is anyone else finding themselves acting weird or being treated differently too?

I guess my mind is racing. I keep thinking about the opportunity in front of this team to do something special, and how fleeting those opportunities are....the fact that I've been alive for 2 Jets AFC Championship games, only 1 of which I'm old enough to remember (1998-1999). Why can I remember Victor Green losing Ed McCaffrey deep down the field for a big Elway completion that totally turned the game around in 1999, but I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday? Maybe I'm distracted because of the fact that this Sunday no matter what happens, good or bad, it will almost definitely leave a permanent spot in my memory for the rest of my life....and I'm just praying that it's a good memory.

It's exciting and nerve-racking. It's like the first time you push your kid down the street on a bicycle with no training wheels....you're kind of proud and excited while hoping not to see a disaster! For a large percentage of us on this messageboard this is the furthest the New York Jets have EVER advanced in our lifetimes. I have extreme confidence that the future is bright for this team with Rex Ryan and Mark Sanchez. It IS a very different experience than 1998 because that was an aging team with a coach in Parcells who you were never sure how long he'd stay. 1998 was a tough loss because I felt the window wouldn't be open long and we all saw how one injury in 1999 could derail a team's SB chances. It IS different now, I expect this team to have lots of opportunities over the next several years. But that doesn't guarantee that they will, and maybe that's why I'm slightly losing my mind this week![/QUOTE]

i think most of us on this board are acting like loons right now!!!! welcome to the life of a die hard jets fan... that is what i have to try and explain to my friends around me... although most of them no im already crazy about the jets

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    You guys know my superstitious insanity all too well. My fidgety behavior and 6 hours daily of article reading/picture hunting is ruining me. My nerves are shot and I'm still feeling horrible from Sunday...but in a great way. I can't comprehend going to the Superbowl.. it just seems impossible, but at the same time I'm not scared of this team. I have a major man crush on Sanchez, but I'd marry Revis right now. I wish Rex Ryan was my father. I've rewatched every highlight from every source to see every possible celebration our team does. Watch about 12 seconds after Rhodes has the strip sack.. Revis flies out of the left side of the screen with a massive jumping hip bump with Kerry then roars and pumps his fist. It gives me goose bumps. I haven't said a bad word about anyone lately to keep the big guy upstairs on our side and when a Jets fan says something distasteful I lecture them for the same reason. I wear green on Mondays and my jets t-shirt under everything every weekend. I love this team in an irrational way that any non-football fan would put me in an asylum for. I don't know if I can pay my most recent amex and I won't worry about it until I'm in Miami after a Jets superbowl win. I love this thread and all of you (except the chowds.) No screw it the chowds too.

THREE HOME TEAMS ADVANCE AND THE FCKING JETS!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Im responsible for the backups at work. I forgot a couple times this week :cool:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was SUPER exciting and then I started playing Wodern Warfare 2 alot and so basically I'm not doing jack**** at work ever. Haha, that's life in IT baby.

I will say though, ever since I brought in a reprinted picture of Namath under center to my office we've been winning. I'm the reason folks, me and my bad ass Namath picture that won't fit in my cube but I still keep it in there.
    Last edited by southside; 01-20-2010 at 04:49 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    This week has been oddly quiet for me, same as last week, and I'm not breaking the spell. Got an e-mail from a friend in Indiana with a picture of some guy's house featuring a huge green Jets logo painted on the front lawn - he asked if it was mine (I wish). My wife has nary a clue of how big this upcoming game is and if I tried to tell her, she'd come back with the same retort: "Yeah, Yeah, They're ALL Big Games." Like the Boy Who Cried Wolf, I've exhausted the Big Game explanation. If they make the Super Bowl, THEN she'll be convinced.

Co-workers are pretty football-ignorant here, which is a blessing after brutal losses. So I can't complain on that score, but I have no one at work to talk things through with and help build the anticipation.

Lastly, I'll make sure to start my drinking closer to game time and try and go slower. Some day I'll watch a replay of last week's game to see the parts that I saw - but didn't "see."

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can't sleep.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crazyeffinjetsfan;3469223]I can't sleep.[/QUOTE]

Me neither. I think I've slept less this week so far than any other week this past year. I just keep watching game highlights and thinking about the games.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am definitely catching myself laughing out loud & then laughing some more.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crazyeffinjetsfan;3469223]I can't sleep.[/QUOTE]

Wow, me neither. Right before I'm about to fall asleep, I imagine the feeling of the possibility of going to the SB and it gets me all riled up.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    i've achieved nothing at work this week. ppl are unemployed because of me.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Paradis;3469883]i've achieved nothing at work this week. ppl are unemployed because of me.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but you're in Canada so does it really matter?....isn't employment kinda the same as unemployment up there? :P :D

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    yes, if I leave my desk at the office I take off my headphones and switch to my iPhone to continue listening to 1050 ESPN Radio stream... people think I am insane.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Can't sleep, can't eat, totally on edge. I am jumping out of my skin at every noise, movement, flickering of light. No patience for anyone or anything. It's kind of like being on a cocaine binge.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;3467933]What? Me irritated? What the hell are you talking about? You should look in the mirror, friend. I mean, "honey". I'm sorry...no, I didn't know...

The Jets are turning me into Frank Costanza.[/QUOTE]

serenity now!

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Laughed and got emotional reading these posts... so good to see there are others out there that are so effected by this... I seriously had anxiety on Tuesday (or that may have been detox coming down from 3 days of constant drinking)...

Anyway this seems like a good idea for a reality TV show... following diehard Jet fans from April (draft) through February (SB) ;)