Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The "I'm acting strange and people are concerned about me because of the Jets" Thread

Jets Insider VIP

The "I'm acting strange and people are concerned about me because of the Jets" Thread

Okay, here it goes...

Has anyone else started to act strangely or find themselves doing weird things since Sunday's win? :O Or, are people treating you differently? I'm honestly getting weirded out by some things....

I put my 1 year old daughter's blankie in the refrigerator and left the milk on the counter overnight yesterday. :eek:

I'm completely distracted at work and almost forgot to submit a critical status report this week. :(

I'm now Tivo'ing or directly watching 3+ hours of NFL Network daily including Total Access, Playbook and re-runs of critical games from earlier in the season. I've been a casual watcher all along but now it's like I'm addicted. Brian Billick offered his Super Bowl ring to Rich Eisen tonight to try on and I almost got choked up for some reason. :O

I'm getting phone calls, emails and Facebook messages from distant friends and relatives I haven't spoken to in months saying things like, "How about those Jets?" and "You must be going crazy right now!" I haven't really been responding to them.

My wife looks at me tonight and says, "If you're not going to Indy this weekend, what should I do on Sunday? Do you want to go out with friends for the game? Just tell me, like do you want to be home alone? Should I take the kids somewhere all day? Is it safe to leave you alone?" Sheezus Christmas!!!!....am I THAT bad? I mean, do I look THAT disturbed? People she works with are asking her how I'm doing...like I'm in some kind of rehab program or a bubble or something! lol

Okay, now that I've fessed up as to how much of a loon I've been since stepping off a plane from San Diego Sunday at midnight, following what some commentators are calling the 2nd biggest win in the history of the New York Jets, is anyone else finding themselves acting weird or being treated differently too?

I guess my mind is racing. I keep thinking about the opportunity in front of this team to do something special, and how fleeting those opportunities are....the fact that I've been alive for 2 Jets AFC Championship games, only 1 of which I'm old enough to remember (1998-1999). Why can I remember Victor Green losing Ed McCaffrey deep down the field for a big Elway completion that totally turned the game around in 1999, but I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday? Maybe I'm distracted because of the fact that this Sunday no matter what happens, good or bad, it will almost definitely leave a permanent spot in my memory for the rest of my life....and I'm just praying that it's a good memory.

It's exciting and nerve-racking. It's like the first time you push your kid down the street on a bicycle with no training wheels....you're kind of proud and excited while hoping not to see a disaster! For a large percentage of us on this messageboard this is the furthest the New York Jets have EVER advanced in our lifetimes. I have extreme confidence that the future is bright for this team with Rex Ryan and Mark Sanchez. It IS a very different experience than 1998 because that was an aging team with a coach in Parcells who you were never sure how long he'd stay. 1998 was a tough loss because I felt the window wouldn't be open long and we all saw how one injury in 1999 could derail a team's SB chances. It IS different now, I expect this team to have lots of opportunities over the next several years. But that doesn't guarantee that they will, and maybe that's why I'm slightly losing my mind this week!
    Last edited by jetstream23; 01-20-2010 at 12:03 AM.

Veteran
    The NFL network has been on in my house since Sunday, I refuse to wash my jersey,,, It hasn't been washed since the first Colts game, my wife, the PATS fan is going out with friends on Sunday... She can't bear to watch anymore and, well most of my Cardinals fan friends won't talk to me. And, oh yeah I walked into Harold's in Cave Creek, a Steelers bar, with a Jets hat on for lunch today. Would never have done that before! :D

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=jetstream23;3467910]I'm getting phone calls, emails and Facebook messages from distant friends and relatives I haven't spoken to in months saying things like, "How about those Jets?" and "You must be going crazy right now!" I haven't really been responding to them.

[/QUOTE]

Lol, I got them during the game...didnt respond, even now.

Talk to me when we lose to the Falcons, not now.....

:eek:

:D

I've relapsed into a state of active alcholism that threatens to cost me everything in my life - my job, my wife, my kids, my home, my financial well-being, my health, my freedom, my very life.

I don't know what to do.

I hope the Jets win.

Veteran
    As someone else once posted here "Jets fans are different"

Bewildered Beast
    What? Me irritated? What the hell are you talking about? You should look in the mirror, friend. I mean, "honey". I'm sorry...no, I didn't know...

The Jets are turning me into Frank Costanza.

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=Roger Vick;3467922]I've relapsed into a state of active alcholism that threatens to cost me everything in my life - my job, my wife, my kids, my home, my financial well-being, my health, my freedom, my very life.

I don't know what to do.

I hope the Jets win.[/QUOTE]

lol, but not your TV or computer, thankfully.

I haven't shaved or cut my hair since the playoffs started and don't plan to either. I get teary-eyed just thinking about the a win this Sunday. My girlfriend goes into descriptive details about whatever it is she's talking about and all I can say is "huh?" because I was daydreaming about the possibility of Miami. I gotta say... I'm high on life right now. :high::yes:

Slightly off topic, but I had a little story from today that I thought was cool.

Today was my first day of classes for the new semester. My first class was Statistics and the professor is about 70 years old. Seems like a pretty cool guy. Anyway, turns out that he's a life long Colts fan. Been a fan since the late 40's when they were the New York Yankees and has followed them from there, to Dallas, Baltimore, and now Indianapolis. Of course I was wearing my Jets winter coat and he noticed as soon as he walked into the room. He sparked up a conversation with me about the game and we end up talking for the first 20 minutes of class while the rest of the class just listened.

After that class, I walked over to my Humanities class. I walk in the classroom about 20 minutes early, and I'm the first one there except for the professor. As soon as I walk in the door he says, "Hey, nice shirt. Glad you're not a fan of those ****ing ***** Giants." I knew I was going to like this guy. Sure enough, it was one of the most entertaining and interesting lectures I've ever had.

Just thought that it was such a fitting way to start off the semester. :yes:
    Last edited by DevsJetsYanks88; 01-20-2010 at 12:22 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Ugh. One more thing.....the wife just asked me why I didn't put the garbage out today. Fack! I haven't forgotten to do that in about a year and a half.

Seriously, can a Type A personality survive an AFC Championship game?

All Pro
    POST OF THE YEAR STREAM :D :D :D

My wife is literally at her wit's end with me. I watch 4-5 hours of football TV daily on DVR now. I read every article online I can find, this site can't quench my thirst anymore for messageboards. Just today I was on......

Jetsinsider
    The Browns Board
    Chargers board
    Patsfans.com

.........just reading every Jets related discussion I can find. I can't sleep at night thinking about this team and this game coming up. The last time we came this far was 1998 and I was out of the country for months and didn't get to experience this. The team looks young, and good but you never know when you'll get here again if ever!!

Thanks for posting, it's great to know I'm not alone in my obsessing. :D

As a side note, I watch the games alone. I'd flip out if I had to pretend to keep up conversation or listen to a less avid fan discuss his opinion/commentary. I pace around, yell and scream, my wife takes the baby upstairs and yells at me when my screams wake him up :O I'm also dead sober, don't want the booze clouding my focus or experience. I have a problem.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;3467910]Okay, here it goes...

Has anyone else started to act strangely or find themselves doing weird things since Sunday's win? :O Or, are people treating you differently? I'm honestly getting weirded out by some things....

I put my 1 year old daughter's blankie in the refrigerator and left the milk on the counter overnight yesterday. :eek:

I'm completely distracted at work and almost forgot to submit a critical status report this week. :(

I'm now Tivo'ing or directly watching 3+ hours of NFL Network daily including Total Access, Playbook and re-runs of critical games from earlier in the season. I've been a casual watcher all along but now it's like I'm addicted. Brian Billick offered his Super Bowl ring to Rich Eisen tonight to try on and I almost got choked up for some reason. :O

I'm getting phone calls, emails and Facebook messages from distant friends and relatives I haven't spoken to in months saying things like, "How about those Jets?" and "You must be going crazy right now!" I haven't really been responding to them.

My wife looks at me tonight and says, "If you're not going to Indy this weekend, what should I do on Sunday? Do you want to go out with friends for the game? Just tell me, like do you want to be home alone? Should I take the kids somewhere all day? Is it safe to leave you alone?" Sheezus Christmas!!!!....am I THAT bad? I mean, do I look THAT disturbed? People she works with are asking her how I'm doing...like I'm in some kind of rehab program or a bubble or something! lol

Okay, now that I've fessed up as to how much of a loon I've been since stepping off a plane from San Diego Sunday at midnight, following what some commentators are calling the 2nd biggest win in the history of the New York Jets, is anyone else finding themselves acting weird or being treated differently too?

I guess my mind is racing. I keep thinking about the opportunity in front of this team to do something special, and how fleeting those opportunities are....the fact that I've been alive for 2 Jets AFC Championship games, only 1 of which I'm old enough to remember (1998-1999). Why can I remember Victor Green losing Ed McCaffrey deep down the field for a big Elway completion that totally turned the game around in 1999, but I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday? Maybe I'm distracted because of the fact that this Sunday no matter what happens, good or bad, it will almost definitely leave a permanent spot in my memory for the rest of my life....and I'm just praying that it's a good memory.

It's exciting and nerve-racking. It's like the first time you push your kid down the street on a bicycle with no training wheels....you're kind of proud and excited while hoping not to see a disaster! For a large percentage of us on this messageboard this is the furthest the New York Jets have EVER advanced in our lifetimes. I have extreme confidence that the future is bright for this team with Rex Ryan and Mark Sanchez. It IS a very different experience than 1998 because that was an aging team with a coach in Parcells who you were never sure how long he'd stay. 1998 was a tough loss because I felt the window wouldn't be open long and we all saw how one injury in 1999 could derail a team's SB chances. It IS different now, I expect this team to have lots of opportunities over the next several years. But that doesn't guarantee that they will, and maybe that's why I'm slightly losing my mind this week![/QUOTE]

Ha ha, great post. Yep to all of the above. OK, here goes...stream of consciousness, so try to keep up:

My Facebook page blew up Sunday night as did my cell phone with calls and texts. I don't remember talking to a soul cuz I was drunk as sh*t from celebrating. I tackled my wife (playfully but I did it) and don't recall that either. I said f*ck it and wore my jersey to work Monday COMPLETELY eschewing our dress code (which is admittedly "forgiving" at times). Buddies at work know how much this means to me and just keep talking up the Jets saying how good they looked vs. the Chargers. I've been keeping a watchful eye on JI all day long and when I get home from work, my wife has the TV tuned to the NFL Network (God bless that woman). Choked up??? SH*T, I've turned into a complete p*ssy. I get choked up reading this board for goodness sakes, let alone seeing the locker room clips and highlights on Youtube. The thought of the possibility that we may be going to the SB come 6:01PM this Sunday has got me completely frazzled. I can't concentrate or focus. I try to make the best of every day, but I find myself wishing that my life was on Tivo so I can fast forward the next several days and get to Sunday. I was alive during both AFCC games and astonishingly, I remember the 1982 season's game better. I was only 9 years old then but I had yet to discover alcohol and that played a big role in me forgetting a good bit of the 1998 game, sad to say. I distinctly remember being unconsolably upset after the loss to the Dolphins and my Mom telling me that if I kept on taking these losses as hard as I was, that she would forbid me from watching the Jets ever again (unbelievable to think about that now...I bet she doesn't remember saying it, but I do). My wife took Monday off cuz if we win and the Vikes win, this house will explode. In trying to explain to a friend who doesn't "get" football what this all means to me, I said that the Jets are part of who I am, they are woven into my soul and I have no choice but to accept it and move forward, season after season. If I got THAT upset from an AFCC loss at age 9 when I didn't understand a lick of what was going on and didn't have a concept of the the years of ups and downs to come, WTF is gonna happen Sunday? Bottom line is I ain't scared. Not of the Colts, not of Peyton. I have faith in Rex, in this organization and most importantly, in this team. We can do this. The future already looks bright. This season is already a success. That's not to say that I don't want the whole enchilada cuz I do, but if we lose, I will stand up and clap as loudly as I cheered for this team cuz we have turned it around. SOJ is DEAD AND BURIED.

LET'S GO, JETS!!! :yes:

I'm so grunk I can;t stand up right now. There is chinese food stuck between my keyboard. I cant get it out. I tried sucking it up like a vacuum cleaner, but no go. I have to leave it for now. Maybe the dog will lick it out. I can't deal right now. I have to go to bed.

[IMG]http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/9620/threadlovesomuch.jpg[/IMG]

Seriously though, those were two of the best stories I've ever read on here (jetstream and rage). J, all of those things have been happening to me too and I don't respond to those random texts either.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=David Harris;3467951]As a side note, I watch the games alone. I'd flip out if I had to pretend to keep up conversation or listen to a less avid fan discuss his opinion/commentary. I pace around, yell and scream, my wife takes the baby upstairs and yells at me when my screams wake him up :O I'm also dead sober, don't want the booze clouding my focus or experience. I have a problem.[/QUOTE]

Same here, usually just me and the wife but definitely just us during the playoff run. There's no way I can be in public, a 36 year old man, acting like this. My wife has it ALL on video on her iPhone...all of my rants, tantrums, cheering, pounding of the couch cushions, violent clapping and incomprehensible screaming at the TV from the Bengals AND Chargers games. Note to self...NEVER piss that woman off cuz it'll show up on the interwebs. Thank God we don't have kids, they'd never sleep during the season. Booze? YEP! If we win, I started celebrating early, if we lose, I pass out and forget the whole thing. :P

I always have watched the important games in the sanctity of my own basement all by myself. The most I'll have with me is my brother, and even then if he makes it noticable he's with me, he is sent upstairs.

I've also quit drinking during important games because I want to take in EVERY moment, every nuance, every snap, every presnap read...everything. Also, i'm truly very scared at what I'll do if I'm drunk. Win or lose, I feel like something bad will happen. Just not worth it. I'm already a complete and utter wreck during the games when not drinking (case in point, I broke my futon jumping up and down on it during the Greene run on Sunday, and was in the fetal position hyperventilating after the 4th and 1 play that sealed it for us. God knows what would have happened had I had a couple to drink...

people have called and texted me saying congrats (like I'm part of the Jets organization??), and it means a lot that a lot of these people are nothing more than close acquaintances, and yet they know how much the Jets mean to me...kinda silly, but kinda cool.

i'm a mess right now, can't focus on anything at work...can't sleep without checking JI, can't wake up without JI...put on espn the second I hop outta the shower...i dont know whats gotten into me!

[QUOTE=David Harris;3467951]POST OF THE YEAR STREAM :D :D :D

My wife is literally at her wit's end with me. I watch 4-5 hours of football TV daily on DVR now. I read every article online I can find, this site can't quench my thirst anymore for messageboards. Just today I was on......

Jetsinsider
    The Browns Board
    Chargers board
    Patsfans.com

.........just reading every Jets related discussion I can find. I can't sleep at night thinking about this team and this game coming up. The last time we came this far was 1998 and I was out of the country for months and didn't get to experience this. The team looks young, and good but you never know when you'll get here again if ever!!

Thanks for posting, it's great to know I'm not alone in my obsessing. :D

[B][U]As a side note, I watch the games alone. I'd flip out if I had to pretend to keep up conversation or listen to a less avid fan discuss his opinion/commentary. I pace around, yell and scream, my wife takes the baby upstairs and yells at me when my screams wake him up :O I'm also dead sober, don't want the booze clouding my focus or experience. I have a problem[/U][/B].[/QUOTE]

This is me to an absolute T!!! wow I can't believe there's someone else like me! My friends, fellow jets fans, and football fans in general all make fun of me for not drinking and not wanting to watch the games with them. I say sorry, but no one should see a grown ass 23 year old with a job acting like I do. I literally cried when I heard them say the Jets were going to the conference championship game. Imagine someone else seeing that!?!?

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Roger Vick;3467959]I'm so grunk I can;t stand up right now. There is chinese food stuck between my keyboard. I cant get it out. I tried sucking it up like a vacuum cleaner, but no go. I have to leave it for now. Maybe the dog will lick it out. I can't deal right now. I have to go to bed.[/QUOTE]

Ahh, the old "I'm drunk...look, I'm misspelling words" routine, eh? ;)

[QUOTE=greenwichjetfan;3467975]This is me to an absolute T!!! wow I can't believe there's someone else like me! My friends, fellow jets fans, and football fans in general all make fun of me for not drinking and not wanting to watch the games with them. I say sorry, but no one should see a grown ass 23 year old with a job acting like I do. I literally cried when I heard them say the Jets were going to the conference championship game. Imagine someone else seeing that!?!?[/QUOTE]

It's no secret, I've said it a number of times here as of late...I shed tears as well. I'm an old softy anyway but there's just something about imagining the culmination of this wild ride with this team over the past few decades that gets me every single time.
    Last edited by RageATL; 01-20-2010 at 12:55 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    I'm glad I was only about 7 during the Mud Bowl AFCC game in Miami. No recollection at all. Denver hurt though....badly.

I'm not sure how some fans would handle a disappointing loss on Sunday. And by disappointing, I mean a game that looks like the Jets should win or maybe they are winning and end up losing. If they play well and just get beat by a better team, I could live with that. That's what made Denver so painful. I KNEW the Jets were as good or better than Denver that year. I also KNOW they would have annihilated Atlanta in the SB. A 10 point lead in Denver during the 3rd quarter evaporated. Anyone else remember the Denver kickoff that hung in the Mile High wind and fell straight down as essentially an onside kick? The turnovers...Denver fumbles twice and doesn't lose a single one, the Jets fumble 4 times and lose all 4, plus Vinny T. gets intercepted twice. John Hall misses a 42 yard FG! Talk about giving a game away!

My expectations are lower this time around. I'll just say it....I personally think the Colts are the better team. They just are IMO. The Jets winning in that dome with that noise against that quarterback with all those weapons given everything that's on the line would be the 2nd biggest upset in Jets history IMO. But that doesn't make it any less stressful. If anything, it just means the opportunity to do something truly special is much bigger and I'd hate to see them squander that opportunity.

I have friends who are Cardinals fans out here. They're actually pretty diehard. The way they lost that Super Bowl last year was devastating after the Fitzgerald TD. Afterwards, my friends tried to stay positive saying that the team was very talented and they'd be right back in the hunt this year. I kinda nodded in agreement, but I knew otherwise. I knew that you rarely get that close to the prize and get another shot. Now I look at the Cards and their playoff loss last week, the likelihood that Warner is retiring and Boldin could soon be gone. You see it slip away and think, how the hell would I have handled the Jets having a lead in the Super Bowl with 2 minutes left...and losing.

It's all about having that once-in-a-decade opportunity. The Jets have a HUGE opportunity this Sunday and I just want to see them seize it!
    Last edited by jetstream23; 01-20-2010 at 01:02 AM.

All Pro
    We will seize it, Brutha, we will. This window is just being opened, so if for some reason things don't go our way, we will be back bigger and badder the next go round.