Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Calling on all International J-E-T-S fans !

Live near London, England and have been a Jets fan since weekly football programmes started in the early 1980's. Played a fair bit then and am now an assistant coach for my local team.

Used to listen on forces radio and any kind of Internet means when that became accessable.

We all remember the fake spike, the double overtime loss, Vinny going down in the first quarter of the 99 season etc etc but have kept the faith regardless.

This is the best time to be following the Jets since the sack exchange days.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=RaoulDuke;3470059]True.

Your ass is in London if we ever play there. First round is on me. :beers:[/QUOTE]

Deal mate.

I'll even teach you a thing or two about proper Turkish hooliganism :D

Practice Squad
    Any of the Irish or UK based guys on NFLUK??

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=The Turk;3470240]Deal mate.

I'll even teach you a thing or two about proper Turkish hooliganism :D[/QUOTE]
    I doubt the NFL is ready for bathroom tiles being thrown at opposing fans.

Could be fun though..:D

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

I give all you guys alot of credit!

:yes:

[QUOTE=RByrne;3470241]Any of the Irish or UK based guys on NFLUK??[/QUOTE]
    I am, if only to beat Nick Halling with the 'expert picks'!

[QUOTE=RByrne;3470241]Any of the Irish or UK based guys on NFLUK??[/QUOTE]
    "NYSE" been on NFLUK for years ;)
    btw the 86 double OT loss to cleveland 23-20 still twinges but the CH4 Mick Luckhurst opening soundtrack "propoganda" remix by Duel still sweetens it a little after almost qrtr of a century ;)
    christ, I`m old?
    "New York Jets" Facebook group
    "New York Jets Fans" Facebook group
    and even the `ol timers are back >
    "NY Jets - New York Sack Exchange" FB group :D

been lurking on this site for years, love reading post on the technical aspects of the game as well adraft posts and of course the more articulate post on the Jets, think Jason423 breakdown post are just fabulous, dont always agree with all the points but shed load better than I could put together.
    I've been following the Jets since 1978 when I was introduced to them by a New Yorker I met in the US Navy base of Portsmouth. Hoping the Jet come to London after winning the SB.

Practice Squad
    Evening chaps, like quite a few of the previous posters I got hooked after watching highlights of the 51-45 OT game against Miami in '85(?), I thought I'd be a glory hunter (Jets on their way to 10-1) oh how wrong could I be?? Been there through thick and thin ever since including for some insane reason getting up at 1am and tuning in to the armed forces to listen to Bruce Smith, Kelly, Thomas and Reed stuff the living daylights out of us on our way to 1-15, then back to sleep for a couple and up for work!

Toon throwback jersey is primed for Sunday night and I'll be doing my best to channel all negativity towards Manning, after all it worked against Kaeding!

Rookie
    [QUOTE=Barney Brack;3468051]Starting this thread at 4am ET, I hope most US based Jets fans are catching up on sleep they missed last weekend or storing some up for the weekend ahead.

I've never been to the Meadowlands, ever seen the Jets play live or been within a couple of thousand miles of the snap in any Jets game. But I crave every snap in every game. Every roster change, every Headcoach comment ... i'm hooked.

If like me, you started what you thought might be a brief affair with the NFL and in particular the J-E-T-S in 1985 when a one hour highlight show and occasional live games on TV grabbed your attention and have realised that 25years later that you are truely married to the game then this thread is for you.

Admittedly, there were times when access to results and schedules became impossible to come by and the relationship became more distant but with the help of the Armed Forces Radio, the Internet and the reintroduction of live TV games then the wedding was back on. Then over the last few years when you know the marriage was a good idea but begin to question "Did I pick the right partner ?", along comes the greatest marriage councillor of them all, Mr Rex Ryan, and rekindles the love. It's like his arrival has resulted in sex every night and twice on Sundays in positions only usually reserved for the Karma Sutra.

This thread is also for you if you've done any of the following:

- Spent any time in the '80/90s listening to the ARN on Medium Wave as it competes with Italian / Portuguese / Spanish radio for space

- Stayed up until 5am and gone to work with 2 hours sleep after 'watching' a Jets Loss entirely on NFL Gamecenter

- Struggled to understand why a match you are streaming always seems to get cut just before the most important play

- Worn any pieces of Jets gear (hat,t shirt,hoodie, jacket, jersey, scarf) in public and never once had a stranger approach you and comment on your team

- Worn any pieces of Jets gear (hat,t shirt,hoodie, jacket, jersey, scarf) in public and suffered that look of disregard from strangers wearing another NFL team's gear

Our future appears bright but our history tells us that games like this don't happen too often. So my message is to enjoy every second and when OUR team becomes WORLD CHAMPIONS on Monday 8th February where ever you are in the WORLD enjoy the moment ... we've waited long enough.

If you're out there and like me you've only previously read posts on this message board and felt that maybe it was not your place to post (hey ... I've only started one other thread here and that was telling people how we still had a chance to make playoffs when we were 4-6) then please let me know where you're at.[/QUOTE]

Thought i was reading about myself there:eek:

How you doin mate....fellow jets fan in scotland uk!! (paisley nr Glasgow)

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=chilts;3470103]Live near London, England and have been a Jets fan since weekly football programmes started in the early 1980's. Played a fair bit then and am now an assistant coach for my local team.

Used to listen on forces radio and any kind of Internet means when that became accessable.

We all remember the fake spike, the double overtime loss, Vinny going down in the first quarter of the 99 season etc etc but have kept the faith regardless.

This is the best time to be following the Jets since the sack exchange days.[/QUOTE]

Where near London? I lived in Camberley, Surrey, for the first nine years of my life. Returned to the States in '58. Though I was very young, I vaguely remember being in London and attending some of the festivities during Queen Elizabeth's Coronation. I love your country, it's people and it's traditions.

Can't imagine having to keep up with the JETS the way you guys have to. Some loyal fans on the other side of the pond. :rockon:
    Last edited by JETranger 206B; 01-22-2010 at 07:06 AM.

Undrafted Free Agent
    great thread. i cant hack the streaming online anymore so i got gamepass this year and i recommend it. u can watch the jets games knowing it wont crash :)
    been following jets for last 6-7 years and started going to games 4 yrs ago, a game a year and so far i am 0-4. even this years was the halloween game against the fish, disaster from special teams. never mind though , it will make it all the sweeter when they do win one when im there. and after this great season - im just happy to be a jets fan :D

Undrafted Free Agent
    [QUOTE=Gangrene;3470049]Barney Brack,

this is totally unrelated, I went to boarding school and played rugby in Kildare.

Lots of us Paddies over here in New York and elsewhere , wearing the other green, spending the green, smoking the green (not really but it rhymes) . . . following 'Dem Boys in Green.[/QUOTE]

Paddies living in New York ?!? ... you're pulling my leg. :) I'm actually a Dub who lives in Kildare so I can appreciate leaving home for greener pastures.

Game time is fast approaching ....anyone really bullish about this one or like me cautiously optimistic ??

I'm another mid 80's Jets fan from the time we used to get an hour long highlights show on the Sunday (it was a week behind). The reason that so many people got into the game in the UK at that time is that we only had 4 TV channels and on a Sunday evening the only other stuff on was Hymns of Praise (?), Open University and the ITV version of Hymns of Praise. Any of you guys remember the weekly newspapers First Down and AFN Weekly ?

Spent years listening to the AFN on 873MW on a Sunday night with the static filled reception. Best reception in our house was always in the bathroom so I'd often listen to games having a long soak. Sure my mum got the wrong idea about why I spent so long in the bathroom !

Struggled in the 90's with all the coverage going to Sky :( and the occasional Channel 5 monday night game (any one else remember watching the Monday night miracle on C5 - started at 2am in the morning and by the time it went to OT the host were arguing with the childrens TV people who were in the studio at 5 - like our own version of the Heidi game !)

Annnnyway. I now live in NZ happily watching the late games on Sun/Mon on ESPN and the usual battle on a Monday morning keeping ahead of the NFL shutting down webstreams.

but this season has been bliss.

Can you recall when you enjoyed watching our D !

Another Irish Jet fan signing in... following the Jets since 1985/86, that year when RTE2 first started showing one-hour NFL highlights on a Monday night. My name is Kieran O Brien and the Jets QB at the time was Ken O'Brien so the Jets were a fairly easy and logical team to support. That and the green and white jerseys have to be appealing to any self-respecting Irish fan.

I have never being to a Jets game, well not physically anyway. I have however being emotionally present at nearly all over the last twenty years. God bless the internet is all I can say and in particular Jetsinsider.com and the wonderful informative and dedicated posters who pass by with their Jets thoughts, musings and outpourings. The best site bar none on the world wide web, even the Pats trolls are worth a read (occasionally anyway).

When my financial situation improves (returned to university life as a mature student) I can't wait to take in my first live game in the new stadium and God willing we should have secured our second Lombardi trophy in the meantime.

Go Jets (from a bullish fan who thinks we can definitely take out the Colts)

Rookie
    Great thread!
    Am I the only mexican? :)
    Been a fan since the wildcard game vs Buffalo in 81
    Tha playoffs in 82, The Mud Bowl, The 85 season, OŽBrien, Toon, McNeill, Walker, The sack exchange,The OT loss to Cleveland, [SIZE="1"]The Kotite years[/SIZE],Parcells, Vinny, Martin, Monday Night Miracle, The 41-0 vs The Colts, the playoff game vs Pitt :steamin: (f*cking Herm, why didnt he run on those 2 down to get Brien closer???), Jetsinsider:yes:, our past 4 drafts, and Sanchez!
    All bring goos memories of my past 30 yrs, probably since the Herman era I have watched almost everygame (In Mex you get 2 games a week on open TV) I got complicated sometimes to find a place to watch the game but I managed.
    Went to my first Jet game Mondaynight against the Fins...
    All this Karma from this years for melts into our next game...
    Cheers to everybody...

and

[SIZE="7"]VAMOS JETS!!![/SIZE]

[QUOTE=JETranger 206B;3470892]Where near London? I lived in Camberley, Surrey, for the first nine years of my life. Returned to the States in '58. Though I was very young, I vaguely remember being in London and attending some of the festivities during Queen Elizabeth's Coronation. I love your country, it's people and it's traditions.

Can't imagine having to keep up with the JETS the way you guys have to. Some loyal fans on the other side of the pond. :rockon:[/QUOTE]

North Bucks; about fifty miles away from Surrey - so not that far!

Thanks for your comments about the UK; much appreciated.

Over here people with no US affiliations will 'pick' teams which have been recently successful or are otherwise fashionable. So it's 49ers, Redskins, Raiders and Patriots in the main. I think that our more considered decision to support The Jets marks us out as not following the herd and therefore cooler than everyone else. We do have to work hard over here to get the games but it can be done with a bit of perseverance.

However it goes on Sunday (and I do believe we can win it although with Peyton The Colts are worthy favourites) we have had a heck of a year and the prospect of being an elite team for the forthcoming seasons. Also you've got to love Rex Ryan "Three home teams advance, and the f**king Jets!" We've got to get a Tee-Shirt made with that on it!!!!!

J E T S !!!!
    Last edited by chilts; 01-22-2010 at 01:53 PM.

[QUOTE=Farnz;3471696]I'm another mid 80's Jets fan from the time we used to get an hour long highlights show on the Sunday (it was a week behind). The reason that so many people got into the game in the UK at that time is that we only had 4 TV channels and on a Sunday evening the only other stuff on was Hymns of Praise (?), Open University and the ITV version of Hymns of Praise. Any of you guys remember the weekly newspapers First Down and AFN Weekly ?

Spent years listening to the AFN on 873MW on a Sunday night with the static filled reception. Best reception in our house was always in the bathroom so I'd often listen to games having a long soak. Sure my mum got the wrong idea about why I spent so long in the bathroom !

Struggled in the 90's with all the coverage going to Sky :( and the occasional Channel 5 monday night game (any one else remember watching the Monday night miracle on C5 - started at 2am in the morning and by the time it went to OT the host were arguing with the childrens TV people who were in the studio at 5 - like our own version of the Heidi game !)

Annnnyway. I now live in NZ happily watching the late games on Sun/Mon on ESPN and the usual battle on a Monday morning keeping ahead of the NFL shutting down webstreams.

but this season has been bliss.

Can you recall when you enjoyed watching our D ![/QUOTE]

Yep that about sums it up....remember how you'd get excited at the prospect that the Jets game might be featured in the C4 highlights on Sunday or even better the CBS radio game on AFN would be a Jets game.It was rare indeed if we were featured....thanks be to god for the Innernet!

early 80's for me....the sound of AFN pulsing in and out is still so evocative....the news in Polish and some bizarre random bells chiming sound effect that would occasionally break into the signal that for all I knowcame from outer space....I'll never forget the Browns game..we were leading with about 2 mins to go and the signal began to fade as the Browns had the ball on 4th down....it went completely for what seemd like forever,I was convinced when it returned we'd have won.....when after about 15 minutes it slowly crackled back to life it was still the same commentators(Tony Roberst and Jack Hamm i think)I couldn't believe we were still playing and as it became clearer it was obvious the Browns were driving.The rest is history

These are good times