Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Understanding the Jets' Running Game

Understanding the Jets' Running Game

There are many people on this board who seem to misunderstand the Jets offense. Take a few quotes from the "Send Schotty to Haiti" (classy, guys) thread from Sunday, when the Jets O was two runs into the line and an incomplete pass for 4 straight drives to start the game:

[url]http://jetsinsider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207749[/url]

[QUOTE=escamoter2;3460782]He's sucked for four years and I'm sick of watching his playcalling. This guy is not getting a job as a head coach. He's not even qualified to be a coordinator.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=escamoter2;3461045]He sucks. We don't win games because of him. We win games in spite of him. He gets bailed out all of the time. But, if we don't put our rookie QB in third and long every drive maybe we can actually build a drive. Where are the screens, the tosses to the RBS over the middle, the throws to Keller, the flea flickers? This is ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Johnny Rico;3461059]I can agree that at times he has driven me insane. Let's wait and see if he makes any signifcant halftime adjustments though.

It's time to open up the playbook, Schotty. Sanchez is hungry and he wants the ball. Winners always do.[/QUOTE]

Or SAR, today, in his thread about the Jets-Colts game from 4 years ago:

[QUOTE=SAR I;3468197]We had an identical OL and RB and had only 37 yards rushing. That's what concerns me. Yes, we fell behind and started to throw like crazy, but [B]early on in that game before it got out of hand we couldn't move the ball on the ground at all.
    [/B]
    SAR I[/QUOTE]

Well, here's the thing. Prepare yourself for more of the same this Sunday against the Colts. We won't be moving the ball very well at all on the ground in the first half. They'll be stacking 8 in the box - maybe coming out in the 4-4 D they used on the first series against the Ravens - and we'll be running right into its teeth. Expect some 3 and outs to start the game. Expect to average maybe 2-3 yards per carry in the first quarter.

But this time, don't waste your breath yelling at the screen, begging Schotty to call playaction on first down, whining about multiple third and longs.

Because that's all part of the plan, my friends.

No - I don't mean that the Jets want to be in third and 8, want to get 4 yards on 2 carries to start a drive. I'm sure they'd love to have Jones bust out for 20 yards on the first carry of the game. But if they get that 2 carries, 4 yards, incomplete pass, they'll take it. They won't be ecstatic - but they won't be upset.

Because the Jets' game isn't about chewing up yardage in the first quarter. Its about wearing the defense down for the fourth quarter. Its about a short term loss for a long term gain.

The numbers bear it out. This season, in the first quarter of games, [URL="http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/5036/situational;_ylt=AmaNNKp1oEMmuXCZ9VqY0db.uLYF"]Jones averages 2.6 yards per carry[/URL]. That jumps to 5.8 ypc in the second quarter, drops down to 3.8ypc in the third quarter (after the D had a chance to rest up at halftime), and back up again in the fourth, to 4.8 ypc.

It's not an aberration, either. [URL="http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/9329/situational;_ylt=AmaNNKp1oEMmuXCZ9VqY0db.uLYF"]Greene follows the same pattern[/URL]. 4.3 ypc in the first quarter. 5.6 in the second. 3.9 in the third. And 6.3 :eek: in the fourth.

The Jets know this. They understand it. I wish I could find the quote from after the Bengals game; one of the OL mentioned that in the first quarter, the Bengals were jumping around, excited about shutting down the run, telling each other they were playing great games. By the fourth quarter, they were dragging, worn out, and pointing fingers. Because the Jets took their will.

And they did it, in part, by continuing to pound them, play after play after play, when they weren't visibly gaining very much by running, in that first quarter.

So . . . seriously. When the Jets are running into the line on second and 8 in the first quarter on Sunday, don't panic. Don't complain. Smile. It's all according to plan. And if we're within 10 points at the half, I truly believe we'll be poised to take the game.

Maybe you can write a similar essay on why Sutton knew what he was doing--then I can say I've seen everything.

... pound it between the tackles over and over again we will do!!! ...

... win the game, we shall!!! ...

l_j_r

Rookie
    GREAT POST!!!

This is 1000% what I have been saying for the past 3-4 weeks - 2 yard runs in the beginning of the game turn into 6 yard runs as the game moves on.

At some point, not scoring early is going to come back and bite you in the ass. You can't expect to take every single game by 3 points in the 4th quarter- in particular against great teams.

All Pro
    Thanks. Interesting post. Phil Simms was offering something similar when he asked Nance how he thought the Jets were feeling down 7-0 as the first half wound down. Nance was perplexed. Simms simply said: 'They feel great.' He knew the Jets were set up for the bowling ball to roll down hill in the second half. I think the Jets run game will do better against the Colts than against the Chargers and it WILL make a difference...

All Pro
    Not nice to single out posters like that, but otherwise a solid post.

Veteran
    The Jets' offensive approach is analogous to "Rocky". Does that help?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=JayTPenny;3468298]At some point, not scoring early is going to come back and bite you in the ass. You can't expect to take every single game by 3 points in the 4th quarter- in particular against great teams.[/QUOTE]

At this point in time Sanchez isn't ready for games like the Packers and Cards.. No way is he going to out gun Manning..I like a wide open passing attack but for now you have to do what wins boring as it may be..:yes:

I trust Sanchez enough to air it out on 1st and 2nd downs. He's stepping up his game which is amazing. But a fair dose of TJ and Shonn will break them.

the defense needs to stop indy for the team to be patient with the run. they cant get down by more than 10 or we are in trouble

Rookie
    [QUOTE=JayTPenny;3468298]At some point, not scoring early is going to come back and bite you in the ass. You can't expect to take every single game by 3 points in the 4th quarter- in particular against great teams.[/QUOTE]

Yes you can. This philosophy only works with the league's best defense, which we have. Otherwise, ground and pound is useless, as we would be down 14+ when it was time to reap the rewards of wearing down the opponent.

I agree,and the Jets understand it as well !
    They have the blueprint that's tailor made for them,
    It Won't be pretty in the 1st 1/2,but keep the game close, don't turn it over,and the game will be taken over by the Jets.

I dont remember hearing this excuse when Hackett was running it on first and second 90% of the time. If we go 3 and out again four straight times to start the game we are screwed.

I agree somewhat with the approach. My only thing is that one of the keys to beating Indianapolis is to hold them down in the 1st quarter of the game. You cant allow them to maximize their opportunities for settling for 2 yards a carry out of Jones early.

I think there are two big things we have to do this week on offense. First is do not start Thomas Jones. The Jets can not afford the usual start of 1 yard carry, 2 yard carry, incomplete pass. They have to take their chances with Greene. If he can go 4 yards, 2 yards, and you get a 3rd and 4 Ill take it. When you put yourself in that 3rd and 4 category you are also forcing the colts to make a decision about Dwight Freeney. Do they keep him in or pull him out? If he is in you can try to screen him or run at him. If you go to a 3rd and 7 there is no option. He is in the game and going to be on the attack. We can not allow Sanchez to get hit the way he did the last game by the DE's of this team because it is going to lead to a turnover. I think the other thing the Jets need to do is basically have the run/pass option and everytime they see Freeney on the sideline go to a pass, regardless of how short and safe it is. Force the Colts hand to make him an everydown player.

All League
    great post.

I think a lot of us true fans realize its a process, but going up against a team exactly like the Colts is what makes it scary for a lot of us. Its like one boxer with a quick and steady jab going against one with sudden knockout power. The more blows we absorb, the less likely we'll have a chance of rebounding and staying on our game plan. This is absolutely the ultimate test for the 2009/10 NY Jets. Can our defense hold up long enough for our ground game to be effective? They couldn't in the first meeting. Is there anything they could have learned from week 16 that they can use for an advantage now? Time will tell.......

[QUOTE=Jason423;3468359]I agree somewhat with the approach. My only thing is that one of the keys to beating Indianapolis is to hold them down in the 1st quarter of the game. You cant allow them to maximize their opportunities for settling for 2 yards a carry out of Jones early.

I think there are two big things we have to do this week on offense. First is do not start Thomas Jones. The Jets can not afford the usual start of 1 yard carry, 2 yard carry, incomplete pass. They have to take their chances with Greene. If he can go 4 yards, 2 yards, and you get a 3rd and 4 Ill take it. When you put yourself in that 3rd and 4 category you are also forcing the colts to make a decision about Dwight Freeney. Do they keep him in or pull him out? If he is in you can try to screen him or run at him. If you go to a 3rd and 7 there is no option. He is in the game and going to be on the attack. We can not allow Sanchez to get hit the way he did the last game by the DE's of this team because it is going to lead to a turnover. I think the other thing the Jets need to do is basically have the run/pass option and everytime they see Freeney on the sideline go to a pass, regardless of how short and safe it is. Force the Colts hand to make him an everydown player.[/QUOTE]

I agree that Greene should start as he will be the more effective runner vs the Colts. This doesn't guarantee rushing success though because Greene was in during the 2nd series vs the Chargers. The other team gameplans too and can have an excellent plan to go against our rushing attack. Sooner or later, we will counter what they are doing and start busting open holes. We have to take advantage of those opportunities. That chess match will continue throughout the game but if it is a 4th quarter game, our OL will take over. What intrigues me the most is what will we see from our offensive gameplan. I see signs of taking the training wheels off of Sanchez but I just don't know because they have had a very successful run of just playing D and pounding it.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=Jason423;3468359]I agree somewhat with the approach. My only thing is that one of the keys to beating Indianapolis is to hold them down in the 1st quarter of the game. You cant allow them to maximize their opportunities for settling for 2 yards a carry out of Jones early.

I think there are two big things we have to do this week on offense. First is do not start Thomas Jones. The Jets can not afford the usual start of 1 yard carry, 2 yard carry, incomplete pass. They have to take their chances with Greene. If he can go 4 yards, 2 yards, and you get a 3rd and 4 Ill take it. When you put yourself in that 3rd and 4 category you are also forcing the colts to make a decision about Dwight Freeney. Do they keep him in or pull him out? If he is in you can try to screen him or run at him. If you go to a 3rd and 7 there is no option. He is in the game and going to be on the attack. We can not allow Sanchez to get hit the way he did the last game by the DE's of this team because it is going to lead to a turnover. I think the other thing the Jets need to do is basically have the run/pass option and everytime they see Freeney on the sideline go to a pass, regardless of how short and safe it is. Force the Colts hand to make him an everydown player.[/QUOTE]

Touches on a question I've been pondering for the past few weeks....is TJ's relative ineffectiveness largely on account of him getting the ball to start and softening up the defense or on account of him slowing down due to age/injury?

Either way, there's no reason not to give the ball to Greene early. Don't wait until its apparent that TJ isn't getting it done. Feed the ball to Greene, mix in TJ and then play the hot hand. We also need to throw the ball on first down more. The play action, quick hitter for 7 yards or so has to be open on first down - we are still too predictable there.

In re your point about Freeney, if I see him coming unabated to the QB again, I am going to throw something. I highly doubt that we will go with an empty backfield again (don't remember seeing it since the last Indy game, actually) but if we do and its apparent the Colts are blitzing, we better audible real f'n quick.

I'm really interested to see how our running game plays out. Our O-line is physical but also moves real well (more so than the Ravens O-line). I'm interested to see how that matches up against the Colts quickness on defense. Do we run at Mathis everytime he's in the game? Pound it up the middle? Mix it up and go to the Left like we did in Cincy?

Yep. This style relies on the D keeping the team close enough in the first half for the run game to continue to matter. The D lets the O do its work. It puts enormous pressure on the D early in games, but we have a D that can handle it.

What will make the Jets truly lethal is if Sanchez develops enough to be able to put up points in a hurry. I doubt the Jets will change style that much, but what it will give them is a chance to win even if they're forced to abandon their game plan because the D has an off game. Right now, we don't have that. If we're down 21 points early, and have to abandon the run in the third quarter . . . then we've wasted a half of football, and don't have the horses to come back.

[QUOTE=gunnails;3468301]Not nice to single out posters like that, but otherwise a solid post.[/QUOTE]

Wasn't meant to call anyone out - it's not the world's most intuitive thing, and I completely understand why people can be frustrated by 2 yards and a cloud of dust, especially when its clear the other team is expecting run, is loading up to defend the run, and you're just running right into it.