Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Braylon Edwards to get a one year tender

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Braylon Edwards to get a one year tender

Per Rotoworld ([url]http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/jets-move-to-retain-braylon-for-next-season-1.1713369[/url])

The tender will bring him back next year and if another team tries to sign him we have the option to match or exceed the offer. If we decide not to pick it up the interested team will have to send us a 1st and a 3rd round draft pick. He'll get $5 million next year, good decision by Tannenbaum imo. Edwards seems to love being a Jet and is willing to work hard to improve and excel, if he delivers a big season for us next year then he can get the big money he wants.

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Solid move. I like Braylon and think he's a good fit for this team and has a ton of potential.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great move. Let's get Leon an extension.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    ... agreed, smart move ...

... BE has all the athleticism we could ask for ... keep working on the between the ears stuff ...

l_j_r

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Having a guy like Braylon will help tremendously next year for Mark.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;3468319]Great move. Let's get Leon an extension.[/QUOTE]

No tender him as well until the team gets to see what he does with that rod in his leg..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last year, the 1st and 3rd round RFA tender was $2.792 million.

I don't know where they got 5 million from, but it sure seems like it's going to come in well under that. Even with inflation, it won't be much more then 3 million.

And Leon will be an RFA as well, no reason to give him an extension until he proves his health again.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=THE_SOOTHSAYER;3468312]Solid move. I like Braylon and think he's a good fit for this team and has a ton of potential.[/QUOTE]

And he likes it here. His team is in the championship game a far cry Cleveland. An off season in the Jets program and a chance to work with Mark Sanchez will make them both much better next year.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Savage69;3468328]No tender him as well until the team gets to see what he does with that rod in his leg..[/QUOTE]

I don't agree, we can get him for cheaper now and he's going to be a year old with a tender offer. If we choose to resign him after the tender offer next year and he has a good season he will be 29 looking for big money.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=THE_SOOTHSAYER;3468312]Solid move. I like Braylon and think he's a good fit for this team and has a ton of potential.[/QUOTE]

+1 $5m does not seem unreasonable.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ven0m;3468333]Last year, the 1st and 3rd round RFA tender was $2.792 million.

I don't know where they got 5 million from, but it sure seems like it's going to come in well under that. Even with inflation, it won't be much more then 3 million.

And Leon will be an RFA as well, no reason to give him an extension until he proves his health again.[/QUOTE]

Does it matter what position? Maybe the "uncapped year" makes it so much higher?

I'm no expert at all just asking...Solid move, not unexpected, but good to hear.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    great move!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good move. He stretches the opposing team's defense and by all accounts is a great teammate that wants to be here. Sign him long term if he proves his worth next year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Savage69;3468328]No tender him as well until the team gets to see what he does with that rod in his leg..[/QUOTE]

Depending on the situation with the CBA and the uncapped year I think the team may consider not tendering him at all, but let it be known that they will do their best to match or exceed any offer he gets if they give him the chance.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would've been shocked if the Jets didn't keep Braylon around for another year. Even if he's had more than his share of Football Folly caliber drops, you don't trade picks and players for a guy that only plays 12 games with you.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well he does have some expensive child support payments to make.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;3468319]Great move. Let's get Leon an extension.[/QUOTE]

I don't see the point at the moment.

Let Leon come back and prove he's 100% recovered. We need to take care of guys like Brick, Mangold, Revis, and Harris pretty soon.

We HAVE to keep the core of our O-line and defense together.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll take the 1st & a 3rd.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jason423;3468365]Depending on the situation with the CBA and the uncapped year I think the team may consider not tendering him at all, but let it be known that they will do their best to match or exceed any offer he gets if they give him the chance.[/QUOTE]

That would work as well..:yes:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;3468352]Does it matter what position? Maybe the "uncapped year" makes it so much higher?

I'm no expert at all just asking...Solid move, not unexpected, but good to hear.[/QUOTE]

Position doesn't matter, the tender level is set by compensation level.

No idea on if the Uncapped year has any affect on RFA tender costs, but I haven't heard anything implying that so I would say it's unlikely. My guess is it was just a gross overestimate by Rotoworld.