Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Braylon Edwards to get a one year tender

[QUOTE=Jason423;3468365]Depending on the situation with the CBA and the uncapped year I think the team may consider not tendering him at all, but let it be known that they will do their best to match or exceed any offer he gets if they give him the chance.[/QUOTE]

And we would pass up our chance at compensation, why?

I don't see how that would be a good idea.

If you're going to tell Leon you'll try to match any offer, then give him a 1st round tender in case he finds something we can't match.

This makes good sense, and (I am guessing) is cheaper than franchising him which would probably cost around $6MM. Give him a shot to prove himself one more time, but still address WR concerns in the draft (among other things).

Also, mods, not cool dumping the Football Outsiders Sanchez Similarity Score article. There are good reasons why it holds water and why it doesn't, but hard to make case its not less interesting or worthy of discussion than 10 photoshopped pictures of our players in black and white or the latest to come out of Francessa's mouth.

Excellent move :yes:

Tanny knows his sh*t!:yes:

[QUOTE=Kotch;3468489]This makes good sense, and (I am guessing) is cheaper than franchising him which would probably cost around $6MM. Give him a shot to prove himself one more time, but still address WR concerns in the draft (among other things).

Also, mods, not cool dumping the Football Outsiders Sanchez Similarity Score article. There are good reasons why it holds water and why it doesn't, but hard to make case its not less interesting or worthy of discussion than 10 photoshopped pictures of our players in black and white or the latest to come out of Francessa's mouth.[/QUOTE]

Were you one of the authors?:huh:

That was DEFINITELY one of the stupidest threads EVER.

You want to say he MIGHT end up like Russell? Only time will tell. But take a QB who has made it to the conference championship, and compare him to Russell NOW????? It was an idiotic thread and belongs where it landed.

As to the other threads, YES -- some of us would rather look at AWESOME photos of our players, or rip into Francessa for his jet-hating more than thinking of the prospect of Sanchez turning into Russell:rolleyes::zzz::eek:

If he works on his hands, I'd love to have him. He's done wonders for the running game, and he can go up and get any pass over any defender. He gets his stuff together, he'd bring a great dimension to this offense, especially with Sanchez maturing.

Good move, not sure what the exact contract number will be though. Actually though if a team did top the offer, I'd take the 1 & 3 and try to use that to get Brandon Marshall.

[QUOTE=XingDaorong;3468300]Per Rotoworld ([URL]http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/jets-move-to-retain-braylon-for-next-season-1.1713369[/URL])

The tender will bring him back next year and if another team tries to sign him we have the option to match or exceed the offer. If we decide not to pick it up the interested team will have to send us a 1st and a 3rd round draft pick. He'll get $5 million next year, good decision by Tannenbaum imo. Edwards seems to love being a Jet and is willing to work hard to improve and excel, if he delivers a big season for us next year then he can get the big money he wants.[/QUOTE]

In other news, the sky is blue. This was a foregone conclusion from the day they traded for him

Schluberator & Gadfly
    [QUOTE=petejet;3468348]+1 $5m does not seem unreasonable.[/QUOTE]

Cool. I'll pm you my address to send the cashier check then! :yes:

Schluberator & Gadfly
    [QUOTE=doggin94it;3468545]In other news, the sky is blue. This was a foregone conclusion from the day they traded for him[/QUOTE]

Some of us aren't as hep as you doggin....

:D

I endorse this move 100%:yes:. While Edwards has a bad case of the "dropsies" in his short Jet's career,he does have the tools to be special. His size and build give me the hope that he will be Sanchez's big play guy for years to come.The tender also allows the Jets the time to evaluate him over a longer period of time.I really can't see a team willing to sign him long term any way with the current labor agreement not yet in place.Kudo's to Tanny again who has become a pretty good NFL GM since joining the Jets as Parcell's cap guy!

Smart move. Good player with a whole lot of upside left.

[QUOTE=Ven0m;3468479]Position doesn't matter, the tender level is set by compensation level.

No idea on if the Uncapped year has any affect on RFA tender costs, but I haven't heard anything implying that so I would say it's unlikely. My guess is it was just a gross overestimate by Rotoworld.[/QUOTE]

Isn't it possible we just agreed to pay him more than the minimum? Presumably the 1st and 3rd tender requires *at least* (whatever $3M). Giving him extra money to keep him happy, and pay him closer to his "market" value (whatever that would be), seems fine to me.

[QUOTE=thshadow;3468600]Isn't it possible we just agreed to pay him more than the minimum? Presumably the 1st and 3rd tender requires *at least* (whatever $3M). Giving him extra money to keep him happy, and pay him closer to his "market" value (whatever that would be), seems fine to me.[/QUOTE]

The Donnie Walsh method - David Lee and Nate '09-'10 contracts

[QUOTE=thshadow;3468600]Isn't it possible we just agreed to pay him more than the minimum? Presumably the 1st and 3rd tender requires *at least* (whatever $3M). Giving him extra money to keep him happy, and pay him closer to his "market" value (whatever that would be), seems fine to me.[/QUOTE]

Probably possible, it'd be stupid to do so though.

Why would you pay someone more then you have to?

Since this is a one year "prove it" type gig do you think the Jets draft a WR on the first day of the draft just in case Braylon still under performs? To me that would be the logical thing to do.

All League
    [QUOTE=Ven0m;3468607]Probably possible, it'd be stupid to do so though.

Why would you pay someone more then you have to?[/QUOTE]

to generate a level of trust and show you're serious about keeping him around.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Love the move.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=XingDaorong;3468300]Per Rotoworld ([url]http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/jets-move-to-retain-braylon-for-next-season-1.1713369[/url])

The tender will bring him back next year and if another team tries to sign him we have the option to match or exceed the offer. If we decide not to pick it up the interested team will have to send us a 1st and a 3rd round draft pick. He'll get $5 million next year, good decision by Tannenbaum imo. Edwards seems to love being a Jet and is willing to work hard to improve and excel, if he delivers a big season for us next year then he can get the big money he wants.[/QUOTE]

Agreed GREAT move , I like Edwards, wish he's hold the ball and catch it more often ...we seem to so quickly dismiss the 5 mil.

These guys are LOADED.

Imagine, after taxes, this guy will have $3 million in cash for ONE years work:steamin:

Beats working for a living I suppose.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=CW_McGraw;3468370]I would've been shocked if the Jets didn't keep Braylon around for another year. Even if he's had more than his share of Football Folly caliber drops, you don't trade picks and players for a guy that only plays 12 games with you.[/QUOTE]

Your still here???????

Don't you have a J-Lo movie to watch????