Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Braylon Edwards to get a one year tender

[QUOTE=THE_SOOTHSAYER;3468312]Solid move. I like Braylon and think he's a good fit for this team and has a ton of potential.[/QUOTE]

+1
    Hopefully he will have a break-out game against Indy. We need our Offense to put some points on the board.

[QUOTE=Ven0m;3468481]And we would pass up our chance at compensation, why?

I don't see how that would be a good idea.

If you're going to tell Leon you'll try to match any offer, then give him a 1st round tender in case he finds something we can't match.[/QUOTE]

Its a calculated gamble. The reason I would think the team considers it is because by beating the Chargers we are effectively done with free agency next season. You have to ask yourself is it better to have a 3 million dollar backup running back coming off an injury(and no team will give up a 1st for Leon so that is what you get by tendering him) or the potential to have 3-4 million dollars to spend in free agency?

If the Jets allow Leon to become a UFA they will be able to match up to whatever he earns in 1st year compensation for another player who could start. There could be a team willing to take a chance on a short term deal for 3-5 million bucks in year 1. That money may be more valuable on another player. So its not like you get no compensation if he walks. Its just a different type of compensation.

[QUOTE=Ven0m;3468333]Last year, the 1st and 3rd round RFA tender was $2.792 million.

I don't know where they got 5 million from, but it sure seems like it's going to come in well under that. Even with inflation, it won't be much more then 3 million.

And Leon will be an RFA as well, no reason to give him an extension until he proves his health again.[/QUOTE]

The reasons its higher for Braylon is because his salary in 2009 exceeded the tender amounts. Due to that he earns 110% of his 2009 salary if tendered. The Jets can choose any tag at that point and I would imagine the 1 and 3. I believe his offer from the Jets will be 5.005 million in salary and he will also receive a 150K workout bonus and 500K roster bonus.

[QUOTE=Ven0m;3468607]Probably possible, it'd be stupid to do so though.

Why would you pay someone more then you have to?[/QUOTE]

I dunno - what do you *have* to pay a draft pick? Players can always hold out / pout if they think they're not making enough. If we have multiple RFA's, I don't think it's crazy if we give some of them more money than others...

[QUOTE=stinkyB;3468375]I'll take the 1st & a 3rd.[/QUOTE]

the jets will not find a free agent or a pick in the draft with edwards credentials.what edwards really needs is a good optomologist to see if he has a problem with his eyes.[cataracts etc.]

so this sure assure we are going to draft Defense in the first round?

Jets Insider VIP
    Edwards has a few drops but has not had a big drop yet. That is why most of us are endorsing this move. I like it.

But if he costs us a game down the line, I will be the first to be screaming for his head.

All Pro
    Continuity is a big factor when it comes to success... gotta keep our young players who figure to be here for years...

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Nice job Tannenbaum. Sanchez to Braylon will be a lethal combination next season. They're still getting their timing and chemistry down and an entire offseason of work together will help a lot.

[QUOTE=XingDaorong;3468300]Per Rotoworld ([url]http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/jets-move-to-retain-braylon-for-next-season-1.1713369[/url])

The tender will bring him back next year and if another team tries to sign him we have the option to match or exceed the offer. If we decide not to pick it up the interested team will have to send us a 1st and a 3rd round draft pick. He'll get $5 million next year, good decision by Tannenbaum imo. Edwards seems to love being a Jet and is willing to work hard to improve and excel, if he delivers a big season for us next year then he can get the big money he wants.[/QUOTE]

I would have given him a lower tender but I'm ok with this.

[QUOTE=Ven0m;3468607]Probably possible, it'd be stupid to do so though.

Why would you pay someone more then you have to?[/QUOTE]

Crappy tipper?

especially with receivers. if edwards is doing the job by running good routes and downfield blocking, then this is a good deal. so what if he drops a few. he also made some darn good catches against the chargers. besides his presence does just what rex said it would; force the other team to play honest.

[QUOTE=Flaming Mo;3468894]Continuity is a big factor when it comes to success... gotta keep our young players who figure to be here for years...[/QUOTE]

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Jason423;3468708]The reasons its higher for Braylon is because his salary in 2009 exceeded the tender amounts. Due to that he earns 110% of his 2009 salary if tendered. The Jets can choose any tag at that point and I would imagine the 1 and 3. I believe his offer from the Jets will be 5.005 million in salary and he will also receive a 150K workout bonus and 500K roster bonus.[/QUOTE]

Aha. That makes sense now.

I'm sure his agent wants double this so this makes it nice and easy. Let's see him perform after a TC with Sanchez and this offense and keep the pressure on him to perform. He seems like a guy who'd get easily complacent, just ask Browns fans.

[QUOTE=Jason423;3468697]Its a calculated gamble. The reason I would think the team considers it is because by beating the Chargers we are effectively done with free agency next season. You have to ask yourself is it better to have a 3 million dollar backup running back coming off an injury(and no team will give up a 1st for Leon so that is what you get by tendering him) or the potential to have 3-4 million dollars to spend in free agency?

If the Jets allow Leon to become a UFA they will be able to match up to whatever he earns in 1st year compensation for another player who could start. There could be a team willing to take a chance on a short term deal for 3-5 million bucks in year 1. That money may be more valuable on another player. So its not like you get no compensation if he walks. Its just a different type of compensation.[/QUOTE]

There's one of two scenarios with Leon Washington, either the medical reports will show that doctors think he will make a full recovery, or it doesn't.

If the medical report shows that they think Leon will make a full recovery, you would be insane to prefer any random free agent who'll make 3-5 million a year over Leon. Leon offered way too much to this team when he was healthy, from his return abilities, to his catching the ball out of the backfield, and being pretty damn good running the ball too. In that scenario, you tender him a contract and don't think twice about it. And if someone wants to give you at least a 1st for Leon, then fine. We'll figure out something else then.

If the medical report shows that they don't think Leon will make a full recovery. He won't be getting offers for 3-5 million a year. In which case, there's very little point in letting him walk because he wont be able to sign for enough money to allow us to pursue a significant FA.

There's no decision to make here, it would be insane not to tender Leon Washington a contract unless the medical reports are so bad that he'll be essentially worthless from here on out.

[quote]The reasons its higher for Braylon is because his salary in 2009 exceeded the tender amounts. Due to that he earns 110% of his 2009 salary if tendered. The Jets can choose any tag at that point and I would imagine the 1 and 3. I believe his offer from the Jets will be 5.005 million in salary and he will also receive a 150K workout bonus and 500K roster bonus.[/quote]

Fair enough, wasn't aware of that stipulation. I can't imagine it's come into play much before then since 1st rounders typically used to go straight to FA.
    Last edited by Ven0m; 01-20-2010 at 04:10 PM.

[url]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2009/news/story?id=4843848&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines[/url]

This story has some quotes from Braylon about this report.

[quote]FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Braylon Edwards hopes to finish his career with the New York Jets amid a published report Wednesday that the team will tender an offer to him after the season.

Newsday, citing an anonymous source, reported that the Jets plan to place a contract tender on Edwards, a restricted free agent in March, that would require a team to give New York first- and third-round picks if it signs him.

[b]"I hadn't heard anything about it, but if that's something they're definitely doing, I'm excited," Edwards said. "I love playing here and I love the atmosphere around here. It's a family atmosphere that's centered around winning. If that's what's going on, I would be extremely happy and proud to be a Jet for years to come."[/b]

Edwards, a former first-round pick out of Michigan in 2005, was traded from Cleveland to New York in October after four-plus seasons with the Browns.

"I've seen one side and this is another side, and I don't want to see another side," he said. "I think this is my side right here."

Edwards has four catches for 56 yards in two postseason games with the Jets, who play at Indianapolis on Sunday for the AFC championship. He finished the regular season with 35 receptions for 541 yards and four scores with New York.

"It's crazy," he said. "I never would've thought I would be in this situation. So, to be here is just a blessing and I'm excited. I'm trying to keep my cool, but we're one win from playing in the big dance."

It's been a hectic year for Edwards, who has been highly criticized for dropping too many passes during his career. He was accused of punching a friend of NBA star LeBron James on Oct. 5, was traded to the Jets two days later and then pleaded not guilty to misdemeanor assault in November.

Edwards was placed on probation last Tuesday after pleading no contest to misdemeanor aggravated disorderly conduct, and could face discipline from the NFL after the season.

He said he is focused only on football now, and is excited about the prospect of playing several years with Mark Sanchez after going through various quarterbacks in Cleveland.

"That's definitely another thing for me, just stability, period," Edwards said. "One, having a guy like Mark who's progressing well and has been taking some tremendous strides over the last four weeks. Also, just having the team we have in place, our team is consistent. ... There's a lot of consistency and a lot of stability and that's how you win at this level."[/quote]

All League
    i like the move for a lot of reasons: 1. i think edwards is an excellent receiver whose numbers will grow as sanchez does. 2. the jets are very limited in free agency, so why risk not having edwards around? 3. i want the jets to do everything in their power to keep these guys together. this is a step in that direction. with so many of the young guys coming up to be resigned in the next couple years, it's good to see that they're getting the ball rolling a little. 4. the thought of cotchery and clowney/smith as the starting wrs does not sit well with me. :D

All Pro
    I'm glad to see this is done.

I have a feeling he's going to break out in a big way next year if he's got an entire off-season to work with the offense.

[B]The question now becomes, if another team signs an offer for him, do we beat it or accept the 1st and 3rd round picks?[/B]

At one point, I was all for taking the picks. But after letting the dust from his embarrassing drops settle, I think it would be a mistake to let him walk.

And as for the draft, I think it's all defense all the way this year. I was all for taking an offensive weapon early, someone like Golden Tate, but now I think our 1st 2 picks should be focused on beefing up the front 7 and maybe another CB. Take another WR with the 5th rounder.
    Last edited by TheMikeIsHot; 01-21-2010 at 12:19 PM.

[QUOTE=TheMikeIsHot;3470294]I'm glad to see this is done.

I have a feeling he's going to break out in a big way next year if he's got an entire off-season to work with the offense.

[B]The question now becomes, if another team signs an offer for him, do we beat it or accept the 1st and 3rd round picks?[/B]

At one point, I was all for taking the picks. But after letting the dust from his embarrassing drops settle, I think it would be a mistake to let him walk.

And as for the draft, I think it's all defense all the way this year. I was all for taking an offensive weapon early, someone like Golden Tate, but now I think our 1st 2 picks should be focused on beefing up the front 7 and maybe another CB. Take another WR with the 5th rounder.[/QUOTE]

You take the picks, it's a no brainer with this FO's track record of drafting.

I doubt any team would even give up just a 1st to get him, so it is a moot point anyway.

All League
    [QUOTE=TheMikeIsHot;3470294]I'm glad to see this is done.

And as for the draft, I think it's all defense all the way this year. I was all for taking an offensive weapon early, someone like Golden Tate, but now I think our 1st 2 picks should be focused on beefing up the front 7 and maybe another CB. Take another WR with the 5th rounder.[/QUOTE]

I'd take the picks. You get a 1st, a 3rd, AND you now have that $5M to spend on another player. Plus, Braylon will want at least $5M per year in his next contract. That is a LOT of value the Jets would be getting.

All Pro
    Great move by Tanny and the org. He's doing a helluva job as GM. :yes: