Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Braylon Edwards to get a one year tender

All Pro
    Good news. I want Braylon here for Sanchez' development.

[QUOTE=TheMikeIsHot;3470294]I'm glad to see this is done.

I have a feeling he's going to break out in a big way next year if he's got an entire off-season to work with the offense.

[B]The question now becomes, if another team signs an offer for him, do we beat it or accept the 1st and 3rd round picks?[/B]

At one point, I was all for taking the picks. But after letting the dust from his embarrassing drops settle, I think it would be a mistake to let him walk.

And as for the draft, I think it's all defense all the way this year. I was all for taking an offensive weapon early, someone like Golden Tate, but now I think our 1st 2 picks should be focused on beefing up the front 7 and maybe another CB. Take another WR with the 5th rounder.[/QUOTE]

I like Braylon, he's not worth a 1st and a 3rd though.

Think about it, we only gave up a 3rd and a 5th and 2 bench players to get him. If we could cash in 6 months later and get a 1st and a 3rd, that would be a huge coupe.

With that said, I don't think it's even a concern, because nobody will give us that kinda compensation for Braylon.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Ven0m;3470432]I like Braylon, he's not worth a 1st and a 3rd though.

Think about it, we only gave up a 3rd and a 5th and 2 bench players to get him. If we could cash in 6 months later and get a 1st and a 3rd, that would be a huge coupe.

With that said, I don't think it's even a concern, because nobody will give us that kinda compensation for Braylon.[/QUOTE]

I sort of agree with you, but not all trades are created equal. He was looking to get out of town and everyone knew it. His value was down because everybody knew Cleveland's feet were sort of to the fire. And we all thought that he was going to be a UFA this year because an uncapped year was considered unlikely.

His value is greater now than what it was when he was traded here... granted I still think a 1st and 3rd is still pretty steep. But when it comes to WRs, some teams value them more than others. Compensation for them is sometimes puzzling. Roy Williams 1st, 3rd, 6th. Randy Moss 4th. Welker 2nd (when nobody knew who he was). So there are always teams looking to add a WR... who's to say Baltimore wouldn't part with a 1st round pick in the 20s and their 3rd? It wouldn't be an[I] awful[/I] deal for them -- especially if they really wanted one of the top WRs in the draft.

And I'm not sure if I'd accept a late 1st and 3rd for Edwards and go into next season with Cotchery as the 1 and god knows who as the 2.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

From Cimini:

[QUOTE]There was a published report today stating the Jets have decided to place a tender on WR Braylon Edwards, who will be a restricted free agent after the season (under the current CBA). Let me explain that further.

For Edwards, the tender will be about $5.5 million (the mandatory 20% raise over his current salary) and it would entitle the Jets to first- and third-round picks if he signs an offer sheet with another team and the Jets decide not to match.

In reality, this is a no-brainer for the Jets -- a bookkeeping move really. If they don't make a tender offer, he'd walk away for nothing. After giving up a third-round pick (and players), the Jets aren't about to let him walk. They will protect their investment; it's not even a decision.

[B]But know this: If another team is crazy enough to give up a 1 and a 3 for Edwards, the Jets would let him go in a New York minute. I get the feeling they'd consider a 2.[/B]
    [/QUOTE]

Read more: [url]http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/#ixzz0dHdscUUo[/url]

[QUOTE=TheMikeIsHot;3470798]
    And I'm not sure if I'd accept a late 1st and 3rd for Edwards and go into next season with Cotchery as the 1 and god knows who as the 2.[/QUOTE]

No offense, but I think you're crazy, give me the 1st and I'll be convinced that not only can we replace him in the draft, but there's a decent chance we can upgrade, and we wouldn't be giving the draft pick nearly as much money..... oh, and you still have the 3rd rounder to play with then.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Ven0m;3470825]No offense, but I think you're crazy, give me the 1st and I'll be convinced that not only can we replace him in the draft, but there's a decent chance we can upgrade, and we wouldn't be giving the draft pick nearly as much money..... oh, and you still have the 3rd rounder to play with then.[/QUOTE]

Maybe I am crazy, that's why I want to see what everybody else thinks.

Who are you going to replace him with?

Both of the WRs (Bryant, Williams) who are anywhere near his level are probably going top 20. His physical talent is unmatched by anybody in this crop of WRs. I love Golden Tate, but I'll take Edwards over him right now -- that's an easy decision.

All League
    [QUOTE=Ven0m;3470432]I like Braylon, he's not worth a 1st and a 3rd though.

With that said, I don't think it's even a concern, because nobody will give us that kinda compensation for Braylon.[/QUOTE]
    exactly. it's the jets own poison pill against anyone signing braylon, which tells me the jets really want him. edwards makes a fair salary next season, and the jets keep him without signing him long term yet until they see what the cba will be.

All League
    [QUOTE=TheMikeIsHot;3470850]Maybe I am crazy, that's why I want to see what everybody else thinks.

Both of the WRs (Bryant, Williams) who are anywhere near his level are probably going top 20. His physical talent is unmatched by anybody in this crop of WRs. I love Golden Tate, but I'll take Edwards over him right now -- that's an easy decision.[/QUOTE]
    jets probably draft d-line in the first round anyway.

Banned
    [QUOTE=TheMikeIsHot;3470850]Maybe I am crazy, that's why I want to see what everybody else thinks.

Both of the WRs (Bryant, Williams) who are anywhere near his level are probably going top 20. His physical talent is unmatched by anybody in this crop of WRs. I love Golden Tate, but I'll take Edwards over him right now -- that's an easy decision.[/QUOTE]

+1

It usually takes most wr's some time to develop anyway. We got Edwards for almost nothing and are keeping him at a very fair price. Give him a full off-season with Mark he'll have 1,000 yards next season.