Thread: We all love this - Prospect Comparisons

We all love this - Prospect Comparisons

Suh - Darnell Dockett - Similar size (6'4 300) and both of them have extraordinary upper body strength.

Dan Williams - Jason Ferguson - I still liked Williams alot better when he was a 3rd or 4th rounder. Seems like a very solid NT, much like Ferguson turned out to be.

Arrelious Benn - Anquan Boldin - Similar size as both are about 6'1 220, build like RBs, and run like RBs after the catch. Boldin has a bit more power in his game, but I expect that to come for Benn.

Dez Bryant - Andre Johnson - At 6'3 215 he's Braylon Edwards in size, but I remember him looking jacked at the beginning of the year. Love his physical ability...he and Spiller are the best offensive playmakers in this draft. Goes up to get the ball, great after the catch, deceptive speed, and very strong. AJ is high praise, and he's different in that he might talk alot more. Time will tell there.

Greg Hardy - Shawne Merriman - Unfortunately for Hardy he hasn't been healthy in a couple of years. When healthy, I thought he was a Merriman clone. Now he's more like post-surgery Merriman in that he can still be a very good player, but the injuries knock down his perceived upside. Like someone will get a steal when they sign Merriman this offseason, someone will get a steal when they draft Hardy later than a healthy him would go.

Brandon Graham - Lamarr Woodley - He learned from the guy. They're very similar physically. Graham might be a bit more of a freak athletically. Both are very mean/aggressive on the football field.

Mike Neal - Dwan Edwards - Very, very, very strong player that would be an excellent fit as a DT/DE in Rex's system. Rex loves guys like this for his DL.

You can kick me for this. I hate prospect comparisons too.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 01-20-2010 at 11:57 AM.

All Pro
    Hardy's intrigued me ever since you stated how high you were on him.

The Jets have to go San Diego in this draft (and hopefully future ones) where you have to expose yourself to some risk to get a high talent that has fallen a bit in the draft for whatever reason, a la Cromartie and Castillo (and yes, I know what a pansy Cro turned out to be when he ole'd Shonn Greene on that TD run :D)

Hardy may be that guy this year. Injuries have knocked him down but a top-tier talent when healthy who will be available at the end of round 1.

All League
    I hate prospect comparisons. Usually horribly inaccurate and sterotypical.

[QUOTE=Woody56;3469101]I hate prospect comparisons. Usually horribly inaccurate and sterotypical.[/QUOTE]

:rolleyes:

All Pro
    Where do you get the Benn-Boldin comparison, aside from both players being about the same size?

Benn is the next Bryant Johnson. A 1st round WR with top notch measureables and lousy performance. Both are poor route runners and have inconsistent hands. Both have all the speed but are always covered. They don't make big plays and almost never find the end zone. Both came from Big 10 schools and funky offenses that aren't known for putting out good NFL WRs.

Benn could be successful in the NFL but it's going to take a while for him to learn the pro game and there is a high risk that he never pans out. He very clearly had trouble getting open, catching balls and finding the end zone in college, it doesn't get any easier in the NFL.

eric berry-ed reed

[QUOTE=TheMikeIsHot;3469372]Where do you get the Benn-Boldin comparison, aside from both players being about the same size?

Benn is the next Bryant Johnson. A 1st round WR with top notch measureables and lousy performance. Both are poor route runners and have inconsistent hands. Both have all the speed but are always covered. They don't make big plays and almost never find the end zone. Both came from Big 10 schools and funky offenses that aren't known for putting out good NFL WRs.

Benn could be successful in the NFL but it's going to take a while for him to learn the pro game and there is a high risk that he never pans out. He very clearly had trouble getting open, catching balls and finding the end zone in college, it doesn't get any easier in the NFL.[/QUOTE]

Actually, your Bryant Johnson comparison makes alot of sense. I definitely could see Benn ending up that way.

Dez Bryant - Andre Johnson - Same build, same size, same speed, same abilities...This is why I hate the comparisons...but a top 3 player in this draft.

Earl Thomas - Reggie Nelson or Michael Huff - Might get labeled a bust early on because he doesn't make an immediate impact.

Rob Gronkowski - Jason Witten - Really good TE in the making. Anthony McCoy is Todd Heap to RG's Witten.

Brandon Deaderick - Jarvis Green

Boo Robinson - Also a Jason Ferguson type. I think the Colts would like him.

Jordan Shipley - Ricky Proehl

Banned
    Suh is little more like Richard Seymour but maybe better.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=VincenzoTestaverde;3471488]Suh is little more like Richard Seymour but maybe better.[/QUOTE]

you're out of your mind...night and day....

Seymour had twice the power of Suh leaving UGA and Suh has twice the quickness and ability to string plays laterally...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Woody56;3469101]I hate prospect comparisons. Usually horribly inaccurate and sterotypical.[/QUOTE]

agreed- and they are usually wrong....comparing a guy at equal points in there career is different imo...

Banned
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3471495]you're out of your mind...night and day....

Seymour had twice the power of Suh leaving UGA and Suh has twice the quickness and ability to string plays laterally...[/QUOTE]

You have such a gay obsession with me it's not even funny anymore. I compare Suh to Seymour. Holy of Holies! Please go masturbate to your GW Bust posters.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=VincenzoTestaverde;3471502]You have such a gay obsession with me it's not even funny anymore. I compare Suh to Seymour. Holy of Holies! Please go masturbate to your GW Bust posters.[/QUOTE]

you are a sad, sad little man....

[QUOTE=VincenzoTestaverde;3471488]Suh is little more like Richard Seymour but maybe better.[/QUOTE]

Seymour's height is also a separate factor. The height is why I didn't compare Suh to Kevin Williams or those other guys like Henderson, Stroud, Haynesworth, and Seymour. Their combo of power, length, and explosiveness put them as the elite of elite DTs.

Suh = Reggie White

If Suh turns out to be Dockett, he will be considered one of the biggest busts in #1 draft pick history.

[QUOTE=SackDancer99;3472022]Suh = Reggie White

If Suh turns out to be Dockett, he will be considered one of the biggest busts in #1 draft pick history.[/QUOTE]

This can only be said by someone who hasn't seen Dockett play, or considers hype a pre-requisite to being an elite DL player.

Dockett plays a similar role Haloti Ngata plays for the Ravens in the Cardinals D. Over the past 3 years he's been an elite DT, and he's been at least solid his whole career.

OK, I exaggerated a bit with "the worst bust ever" thing, but I think it would be a big dissapointment for the Rams if he turned out to be Dockett. Reggie White is a better comparison considering the hype:

[I]"Nebraska DT Ndamukong Suh became the first defensive player to be named The Associated Press College Football Player of the Year.

Drawing comparisons to Reggie White for his dominance and ability to play both tackle and end, Suh is expected to be the top player on all draft boards in 2010. Stanford RB Toby Gerhart finished second, with Heisman winner Mark Ingram third."[/I]

[I]"The best college football player hands down this year is the University of Nebraska’s all-world defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh. He is an absolute beast. Suh is the closest player I’ve seen to the late, incomparable, Reggie White."[/I]

[I]“He might not possess all the greatness of the late Reggie White, but he sure does physically resemble him. Suh is 6-foot-4, 300 pounds. White was 6-5, 300. Just as White had, Suh has huge slabs for arms, a powerful lower body and startling athleticism. Suh is the only lineman among the top 98 players in America in passes defended, having batted down seven passes and intercepted one. The pick came in Suh's mauling of Missouri's offensive line Thursday, when he also compiled five tackles, one sack and one forced fumble. Most impactful defensive player in the country right now.”[/I]

[I]"Ndamukong Suh was unbelievable in the Big 12 championship game. I’ve said all season he reminds me of Reggie White. He may not end up being as good as Reggie White, but in terms of physically explosive player, he’s phenomenal.”[/I]

[I]"Anyone who thinks that the highlight of Suh's résumé is one brilliant performance is terribly mistaken -- the second coming of Reggie White has been a force all season long."[/I]

If the Rams are disappointed with getting a Dockett on the DL then that's their problem. I'd take that with the #1 overall pick...White had similar playing strengths but the guy was just above and beyond what can be expected from a prospect. The guy is an elite amongst the elite of the elite in football...

[QUOTE=SenorGato;3472473]If the Rams are disappointed with getting a Dockett on the DL then that's their problem. I'd take that with the #1 overall pick...White had similar playing strengths but the guy was just above and beyond what can be expected from a prospect. The guy is an elite amongst the elite of the elite in football...[/QUOTE]

good point... Reggie White is pretty much the best ever. Not realistic to expect Suh to be close to that. There is no guarantee he'll ever be as good as Dockett.

What do you think the Jets will go after/what will be avilable at their new draft position near the bottom of the first round?