Thread: Shotty needs to call his best game EVER!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Shotty needs to call his best game EVER!

I'm telling you guys right now,
    We can not come out & have 4 three & outs like we had in San Diego

I'm not saying we have to score- what I'm saying is we at least have to change the field position.
    If you think our run game has worn out teams in the last 4 games, imagine if we can convert on some 1st downs to be set up @ 2nd and 2 or 3 yards.

I watched that 1st game over again & almost everything we tried to the outside they stuffed. They are a quick flowing defense.

Shotty needs some quick hitting, change of direction plays like the toss to Greene against Cincy that went for the touchdown.
    A whole lot of misdirection plays, but, they have to be crisp, any hesitation & the Colts can catch up with their speed.

We ran very well right up the gut in that game. I don't wish for injuries, but I see our Oline cracking down on these smaller Colts defenders & our wideouts will be HUGE in the run game. Nice to have Cotch & Braylon matched up against the much smaller Colts.

Bottom line- Jets go as far as Shotty & Callahan prepare them for this game.
    I think it's time for a Brad Smith TD pass if we are in the Tiger & Colts are playing a 4-4!
    Cotcherys at the 50, the 40, the 30, 20, 10, 5, TOUCHDOWN!

Veteran
    Clark University, by way of West Orange, NJ
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetster;3468527]I'm telling you guys right now,
    We can not come out & have 4 three & outs like we had in San Diego

I'm not saying we have to score- what I'm saying is we at least have to change the field position.
    If you think our run game has worn out teams in the last 4 games, imagine if we can convert on some 1st downs to be set up @ 2nd and 2 or 3 yards.

I watched that 1st game over again & almost everything we tried to the outside they stuffed. They are a quick flowing defense.

Shotty needs some quick hitting, change of direction plays like the toss to Greene against Cincy that went for the touchdown.
    A whole lot of misdirection plays, but, they have to be crisp, any hesitation & the Colts can catch up with their speed.

We ran very well right up the gut in that game. I don't wish for injuries, but I see our Oline cracking down on these smaller Colts defenders & our wideouts will be HUGE in the run game. Nice to have Cotch & Braylon matched up against the much smaller Colts.

Bottom line- Jets go as far as Shotty & Callahan prepare them for this game.
    I think it's time for a Brad Smith TD pass if we are in the Tiger & Colts are playing a 4-4!
    Cotcherys at the 50, the 40, the 30, 20, 10, 5, TOUCHDOWN![/QUOTE]

You say they can't run outside, but then say that they should run to the outside on a play like Greene's TD run. Also, the Colts don't play a 4-4. This game, like all the other ones, will come down to Sanchez's ability to make the fairly routine throws. If he is able to get the occasional first down through the air, then our running game will be able to get its yards, like it can against every other team. If he comes out and plays poorly, the play calls won't matter

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Get ready for a Tigercat clinic.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    If I'm Indy I play the Jets just how New Orleans played us this year.

Of course stack and try and stop the run but also play crazy aggressive on all short passes. Absolutely dare the Jets to beat them deep knowing that our biggest deep threat has a bit of a hands problem at times and knowing that even if they get burnt a time or two their offense can score.

NO played so aggressive on the short patterns that they were there fast then the Jets receivers half the time.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=njherdfan;3468540]You say they can't run outside, but then say that they should run to the outside on a play like Greene's TD run. Also, the Colts don't play a 4-4. This game, like all the other ones, will come down to Sanchez's ability to make the fairly routine throws. If he is able to get the occasional first down through the air, then our running game will be able to get its yards, like it can against every other team. If he comes out and plays poorly, the play calls won't matter[/QUOTE]

Greene had a nice outside run against Indy but for the most part they shut down the outside.
    That Greene play worked against Cincy, because just like Cincy FLOWS to the ball, so does Indy. On that play Sanchez flowed to the right, then pitched back against the grain & they pinched in the Dend which in this case would be Freeney.

Veteran
    Clark University, by way of West Orange, NJ
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;3468549]If I'm Indy I play the Jets just how New Orleans played us this year.

Of course stack and try and stop the run but also play crazy aggressive on all short passes. Absolutely dare the Jets to beat them deep knowing that our biggest deep threat has a bit of a hands problem at times and knowing that even if they get burnt a time or two their offense can score.

NO played so aggressive on the short patterns that they were there fast then the Jets receivers half the time.[/QUOTE]

What you're saying makes logical sense, but the 2 defenses couldn't be more different schematically. The Colts drop into a cover 3 90 percent of the time and let opponents get short completions, with the goal of holding opponents to field goals, because they know their offense will eventually get the lead, and the other team will have to pass and Freeney and Mathis can go to work. The Colts will concede short passes, the Jets just need to hit them

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=njherdfan;3468540]You say they can't run outside, but then say that they should run to the outside on a play like Greene's TD run. Also, the Colts don't play a 4-4. T[B]his game, like all the other ones, will come down to Sanchez's ability to make the fairly routine throws. [/B]If he is able to get the occasional first down through the air, then our running game will be able to get its yards, like it can against every other team. If he comes out and plays poorly, the play calls won't matter[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Our whole offense is based on Sanchez being able to complete basic NFL passes...Even moreso than our running game imo...especially in the playoffs. You can't just not pass in the playoffs.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am all for a play-action deep pass to Edwards on the very first play. I don't care if its incomplete, or even intercepted. The Jets have to loosen up the LBers and Secondary immediately.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;3468549]If I'm Indy I play the Jets just how New Orleans played us this year.

NO played so aggressive on the short patterns that they were there fast then the Jets receivers half the time.[/QUOTE]

You're right in what N.O. did, but you have to remember: The Oline was still learning the zone blocking schemes, Greene was not a confident runner, we didn't have Braylon which left Stuckey as our #2 (Cotch>>>>>>Stuckey as #2), and Sanchez was riding SKY high on confidence after the 3-0 start which allowed his psyche to try to force throws.

If the Colts tried to play us like the Saints did in week 4, they'll get burned each and every time.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Yankeejet22;3468584]I am all for a play-action deep pass to Edwards on the very first play. I don't care if its incomplete, or even intercepted. The Jets have to loosen up the LBers and Secondary immediately.[/QUOTE]

I agree, but not with the int. If sanchez see's its covered, throw it deep, but out of bounds. But I agree with the premise. We HAVE to loosen them up, and then start pounding them hardcore to wear the out.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    As long as he doesn't start off the game with 3 straight passes like he did in week 16, we'll be ok.

Also, not sure Tigercat will work against such a fast defense. I'd think a lot of counter type plays would be successful, like the 2nd Bengals game, to try and use Indy's speed against them with some over-pursuit.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    "[B]You say they can't run outside[/B], but then say that they should run to the outside on a play like Greene's TD run. Also, the Colts don't play a 4-4. This game, like all the other ones, will come down to Sanchez's ability to make the fairly routine throws. If he is able to get the occasional first down through the air, then our running game will be able to get its yards, like it can against every other team. If he comes out and plays poorly, the play calls won't matter"

Just a question for you, I notice you ALWAYS disagree with my posts, do you think that I'm so stupid that I meant NEVER should we run outside?

Because when I reread my post that's NOT what it said.

The crux of the post is that the Jets will not win this game without getting some 1st downs so that Indy can not get into a rhythm of being on offense very quickly.
    We have to give our defense some rest in this game & we are definitely going to have to make some plays DOWN THE FIELD in the passing game.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    all I know is that Schottenheimer better not wait until the THIRD QUARTER to mix up his playcalling and not be predictable.

We better not see this again on Sunday, regarding the Jets first 4 possessions:

RUN
    RUN
    A [I]NEGATIVE ONE YARD[/I] PASS (3rd & 9)
    PUNT

RUSHED INCOMPLETE PASS
    RUN
    20 YARD INCOMPLETE PASS (only needed 5 yards for 1st)
    PUNT

RUN
    RUN (on a 2nd & 11)
    RUN
    PUNT

RUN (1st & 15)
    INCOMPLETE PASS
    BROKEN PLAY PASS TO TONY RICH
    PUNT

Unbelievably Cotchery didn't see his first pass until 1:30 left in the 2nd Qtr on Sunday. Also Sanchez is at his best when he throws on the run. Know how many designed roll outs Schottenheimer has called ALL YEAR? probably about 5.