Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Curtis Martin Will Be Our Honorary Captain For The AFC Championship Game

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southside;3470196]And if my aunt had a dick she's be my uncle. Quit making excuses.[/QUOTE]

Excuses?? There has never been a Jet player that got more excuses then Martin..You weren't even on the board as a poster when Martin played.:rolleyes:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Savage69;3470190]I care about winning Championships you care about cute little feel nice stories..Who would you rather have running this post season the 98 or 04 Martin or TJ and Greene???[/QUOTE]

TJ and greene 100%...thats not the argument

i said martin was a warrior and gave this organization all he had and this is a good way for them to show they appreciated that...i didnt say he was the best rb all time in the nfl or even during his prime for that matter

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    savage hates martin. this is nothing new. the guy will go to the hall of fame whether savage likes it or not. savage, could you please stop hijacking these threads? this is not a debate about how good martin is. it's about marting being a captain. you hate him. we all know that. you can say you don't hate him all you want, but your actions speak much louder. move on already. the guys is no longer here for you to suffer watching. find a new player to hate.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Savage69;3470203]Excuses?? There has never been a Jet player that got more excuses then Martin..You weren't even on the board as a poster when Martin played.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Oh excuse me... I guess I can't comment on how ridiculous a statement is because I wasn't messing around on Jets message boards in 2004. :rolleyes:

Bottom line is whether you like it or not he's a top 5 rusher in the NFL with a very impressive career at a position that has an average lifespan of 3 years.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Zombo;3470207]savage hates martin. this is nothing new. the guy will go to the hall of fame whether savage likes it or not. savage, could you please stop hijacking these threads? this is not a debate about how good martin is. it's about marting being a captain. you hate him. we all know that. you can say you don't hate him all you want, but your actions speak much louder. move on already. the guys is no longer here for you to suffer watching. find a new player to hate.[/QUOTE]

I agree.

I it extremely difficult to compare Jones/Greene with Martin. Can anyone imagine what a Curis Martin in his prime would do running behind the Jets current O Line and Richardson?

Numbers don't lie - Martin will be inducted into the HOF very soon.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bleedgreen03;3470204]TJ and greene 100%...thats not the argument

i said martin was a warrior and gave this organization all he had and this is a good way for them to show they appreciated that...i didnt say he was the best rb all time in the nfl or even during his prime for that matter[/QUOTE]

OK now we can talk sense..Besides the fact that when we had a all time draft on this Board of just jet fans not 1 guy took Martin as his starting back. One guy did take him as a backup..Even funnier was Tiki Barber was picked as a starter..I agree Martin was a good guy and a durable back but he was paid like one of the Elite backs in the League and he wasn't..Sometimes being a Warrior hurts the team when they won't come out and have the power to stay in with a weak HC like Hermie..To me if your a team player you should want the healthy player in..I thought Favre was selfish to keep playing with that torn bicep last season.. I would have rather seen Clemens in the the way Favre played..

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southside;3470213]Oh excuse me... I guess I can't comment on how ridiculous a statement is because I wasn't messing around on Jets message boards in 2004. :rolleyes:

Bottom line is whether you like it or not he's a top 5 rusher in the NFL with a very impressive career at a position that has an average lifespan of 3 years.[/QUOTE]

Then lets put Vinny in..More passing yardage then Montana..I've always said Martin will make the HOF(I doubt first time)based on his longevity and durability.. Even Ham said the Hall should have one part for the Greats and one part for the compilers..:yes:

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Numbers don't lie

RK PLAYER YDS
    1 Emmitt Smith 18,355
    2 Walter Payton 16,726
    3 Barry Sanders 15,269
    [B]4 Curtis Martin 14,101 [/B]
    5 Jerome Bettis 13,662
    6 Eric Dickerson 13,259
    7 Tony Dorsett 12,739
    8 LADAINIAN TOMLINSON 12,490
    9 Jim Brown 12,312
    10 Marshall Faulk 12,279
    11 EDGERRIN JAMES 12,246
    12 Marcus Allen 12,243
    13 Franco Harris 12,120
    14 Thurman Thomas 12,074
    15 FRED TAYLOR 11,540
    16 John Riggins 11,352
    17 Corey Dillon 11,241
    18 O.J. Simpson 11,236
    19 Warrick Dunn 10,967
    20 Ricky Watters 10,643

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jets1958;3470195]

The only joke on this thread is you. Are the Pats favored this week? Oh that's right they choked weeks ago.

[/QUOTE]

This thread is about the Jets honorary captains in the AFCCG, and has nothing to do with the Pats.

Please learn to stay on topic.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Savage69;3470229]OK now we can talk sense..Besides the fact that when we had a all time draft on this Board of just jet fans not 1 guy took Martin as his starting back. One guy did take him as a backup..Even funnier was Tiki Barber was picked as a starter..I agree Martin was a good guy and a durable back but he was paid like one of the Elite backs in the League and he wasn't..Sometimes being a Warrior hurts the team when they won't come out and have the power to stay in with a weak HC like Hermie..To me if your a team player you should want the healthy player in..I thought Favre was selfish to keep playing with that torn bicep last season.. I would have rather seen Clemens in the the way Favre played..[/QUOTE]

while curtis was far from elite as his career progressed he was a premier back in his early days as a Jet...he had incredible vision, cutback ability, ball security, durability and was a very good receiver from the RB position...he was not your prototypical game breaking back that either had great speed or could bulldozer people over...to say the guy is a loser is absolutely absurd

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Zombo;3470207]savage hates martin. [/QUOTE]

That's not true if you understand his position on CuMar.

Many times he has stated that CuMar is a quality individual and a great asset to the Jets organization.

Savage has a different opinion (and he is 100% correct) that CuMar is not this "great" RB that the majority of Jets fans make him out to be.

All his numbers are a result of longevity and his performance in big games speak for themself.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;3470249]This thread is about the Jets honorary captains in the AFCCG, and has nothing to do with the Pats.

Please learn to stay on topic.[/QUOTE]
    hahahahaha!!!!!! when have you ever stayed on topic?????

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love how a thread about honoring a great Jet was derailed.

Who gives a rats a$$ if he was a compiler?? The guy is one of the all-time leading rushers in the NFL and he'll be out there with the team on Sunday for the coin-toss.

Its a cool moment, lets take it for what its worth...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;3470257]That's not true if you understand his position on CuMar.

Many times he has stated that CuMar is a quality individual and a great asset to the Jets organization.

Savage has a different opinion (and he is 100% correct) that CuMar is not this "great" RB that the majority of Jets fans make him out to be.

All his numbers are a result of longevity and his performance in big games speak for themself.[/QUOTE]

:rolleyes: If he remained with the Pats ,I am sur you guys would all be saying he was better than Walter Payton. Wrong dead wrong as always:yes:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetsfreak10;3470266]I love how a thread about honoring a great Jet was derailed.

Who gives a rats a$$ if he was a compiler?? The guy is one of the all-time leading rushers in the NFL and he'll be out there with the team on Sunday for the coin-toss.

Its a cool moment, lets take it for what its worth...[/QUOTE]

+1 agreed...come on people we are in the AFC Championship...lets enjoy this moment

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Curtis Martin's career playoff numbers over 10 total games

rushing - 182 att 795 yds 4.37 ypc 8 TDs
    receiving - 37 catches 305 yds 8.24 ypc

granted he did not put up big numbers vs Denver in AFCCG, but I believe Vinnie threw the ball more than 50 times that game.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    back on topic:

i'm really glad martin will be out there as captain. he was a great guy and a great player.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetswin;3470282]Curtis Martin's career playoff numbers over 10 total games

rushing - 182 att 795 yds 4.37 ypc 8 TDs
    receiving - 37 catches 305 yds 8.24 ypc

granted he did not put up big numbers vs Denver in AFCCG, but I believe Vinnie threw the ball more than 50 times that game.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for putting that up. I don't know where the notion came from that he couldn't play in the big game but it was completely false.

Not only that but people forget that RBs wear down as the season goes on. We used to run Martin into the ground and that has an affect on all RBs at the end of the season, sometimes the next season too. There's an interesting statistic for RBs that had over 350 touches getting injured or playing very subpar the following season.

Look at Thomas Jones, people want to say he is better than Curtis... ok well TJ right now sucks big time. He was really good early on, now he has no legs which is why Greene is tearing it up for us with all those carries. Does that mean TJ sucks? No, I don't like his running style at all and it pisses me off that he runs into the back of his lineman all the time, but I respect what he did this season... early on especially. But right now he's nothing more than a redzone back and a guy we play when we want sure hands.

Regardless I'd love to see #28 and #80 out there suited up one more time. I miss those days.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;3470147]They're certainly not bringing these SOJ losers back to inspire the players. They're doing it for the enjoyment of older fans. And as an older fan, I can tell you that the very last person I want to see on the field this Sunday is Curtis Martin. It's like bringing back Doug Brien for cripesakes.

Major miscalculation by the Jets front office who clearly are made up of Mets fans. Like any Yankee fan would want to see Danny Tartabull throw out a ceremonial pitch at Game 7 of the ALCS. Ridiculous.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

SAR, Did you ever think the SOJ loser was you?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cutis Martin was a warrior for this organization for many years and is a hands down Hall of Famer. The man was unbreakable and extremly durable at a position that has one of (if not the shortest) life span in the NFL and was very productive as a RUSHER, RECIEVER and BLOCKER in the backfield. This is a huge honor for him and he deserves it.

I liked Adrian Murrell as much as anyone and was sad to see him go, but after he left the Jets I don't remember him doing much of anything and I believe only lasted another year or two, and remeber not only do you have to be productive as an NFL RB but just as important you have to be able to be on the field and healthy enough to play, and Martin did that, Murrell did not for very long.

Remember the reason Parcells wanted Martin, we said Now our BEST player is also our HARDEST WORKER, the man was a WARRIOR and a LEADER and the Jets were in dying need of someone like this at that time.

I am pumped to have Martin as our honorary captain for the AFCCG.....others I would have loved to see are Namath, Chrebet, Mo Lewis, Richie Anderson, Klecko, Toon and Victor Green.