Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Curtis Martin Will Be Our Honorary Captain For The AFC Championship Game

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=jetswin;3470115]I was always a murrell fan, but whether Martin rushed for 3 ypc or 5 ypc the fact remains he was the man Parcells wanted when he set out to change the culture for our team.[/QUOTE]

The man the Tuna brought in in 98 that changed the Team was Vinny not the compiler..Murrell could have done the same thing for less Money and we would have saved a 1st and 3rd pick..Keep in mind after that terrible Denver game the compiler fumbled in the first game of 99 and we lost Vinny when he went to recover it..:eek: He did more to kill the Jets then anyone else ever did..

maybe they should select jets from each decade.

namath
    klecko or mcneil or walker
    marvin jones or toon
    curtis martin or vinny or chad

Rookie
    [QUOTE=SAR I;3470081]Sorry, not a Mets fan. Not going to give a pass to players who couldn't get it done in crunch time but looked pretty in the uniform. Derek Jeter, Hall of Fame. David Wright, nope.

Savvy?

SAR I[/QUOTE]

WTH does this even mean SAR? Wright/Jeter comparison is ridiculous as wright is 8 years Jeter's Junior. And of course CMart is a HOF'r...it's not even a discussion. Usually your SOJ posts at least give me a chuckle...I don't even get that one. Anyway...

As for honorary capt., I love the idea of bringing CMart out in full uniform for this one, Klecko too if he were game. Joe Willie would be icing on the cake...the ultimate mindf*ck!

Some of you are just bitter.

Curtis Martin was amazing when we actually gave him something to work with. Remember the fact that he was the oldest RB to ever lead the league in rushing. He was the single reason we had such a great run in 2004. 1st Ballot Hall Of Famer, easily considering he's 4th all time on the rushing list!

I will say though, Marshall Faulk was probably one of the best RBs I've ever seen. I saw Barry, Barry was great obviously. But Faulk changed the game at the position he played being a great RB and WR in one body. He's most definitely 1st ballot material too.

... Mikey T & sexxxy rexxxy should both continue to get kudo's for embracing players past ...

... love how they're trying to use all the old blocks in building the foundation for today's successes ...

l_j_r

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=LIDeadHead;3470093]Though I dont agree with your SOJ reference, I do agree to keep these 2 teams segregated. Aside from Ellis, who else on the team played when CuMart was here?[/QUOTE]

They're certainly not bringing these SOJ losers back to inspire the players. They're doing it for the enjoyment of older fans. And as an older fan, I can tell you that the very last person I want to see on the field this Sunday is Curtis Martin. It's like bringing back Doug Brien for cripesakes.

Major miscalculation by the Jets front office who clearly are made up of Mets fans. Like any Yankee fan would want to see Danny Tartabull throw out a ceremonial pitch at Game 7 of the ALCS. Ridiculous.

SAR I

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=jetswin;3470099]The Jets went 68-60 over the Curtis years, including two disasterous double digit losing seasons during Heerm's tenure. Without checking I'm guessing the most successful run for the team in its history considering it's a .455 team.

Of course things are different now, but that has taken 5 years.[/QUOTE]

If this were opening day at the new stadium and we wanted to honor ex-Jets as a bonding thing with the fans and building a 'bridge' to the new facility, Curtis Martin is a great guy to have.

It's the AFC Championship Game. It's a big deal. Whipping out a loveable loser and the star of the SOJ Show isn't appropriate. Teddy Atlas? I could buy that. But Curtis Martin? Are the Colts going to bring out Kelly Holcomb to get their guys pumped up?

SAR I

Banned
    [QUOTE=SAR I;3470150]If this were opening day at the new stadium and we wanted to honor ex-Jets as a bonding thing with the fans and building a 'bridge' to the new facility, Curtis Martin is a great guy to have.

It's the AFC Championship Game. It's a big deal. Whipping out a loveable loser and the star of the SOJ Show isn't appropriate. Teddy Atlas? I could buy that. But Curtis Martin? Are the Colts going to bring out Kelly Holcomb to get their guys pumped up?

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Jets honorary captains should have been Winston Hill (the guy gets no respect whatsoever) and Joe Klecko.

CuMar is a joke.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Savage69;3470058]Yep give me all the carries screw the other backs..In his Championship game a fumble and 14 yds rushing what a great memory to bring back..:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

What I find hilarious is that you always dog Curtis for never delivering in the postseason but then give full credit to a guy like Tomlinson who has been horrendous in the playoffs throughout his career.

Does coming up short in the playoffs prevent LaDainian from being mentioned as one of the greatest of all-time?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=southside;3470134]Some of you are just bitter.

Curtis Martin was amazing when we actually gave him something to work with. Remember the fact that he was the oldest RB to ever lead the league in rushing. He was the single reason we had such a great run in 2004. 1st Ballot Hall Of Famer, easily considering he's 4th all time on the rushing list!

I will say though, Marshall Faulk was probably one of the best RBs I've ever seen. I saw Barry, Barry was great obviously. But Faulk changed the game at the position he played being a great RB and WR in one body. He's most definitely 1st ballot material too.[/QUOTE]

In 04 we had 2 OT games without all the extra carries no rushing title for the compiler..Plus Priest Homes was hurt and Shaun Alexander was held out in the last game and complained he was stabbed in the back for losing the title by 1 td.. Having the most carries of his career at his age proved to be his undoing as he was never productive again.. BTW Vinny is 6th or so in passing yds should he make the HOF??

All League
    [QUOTE=SAR I;3470061]Oh how I wish that the Jets fan's definition of "warrior" wasn't defined by the likes of losers like Martin and Pennington.

I'd have thought Coach Ryan would have rubbed off on these types by now.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

that makes a lot of sense :rolleyes:...so your definition of warrior is loud, aggresive and on the edge?...believe me i love everything rex has to offer but players like martin are a different type of warrior compared to those like scott and rex...curtis carried this team while suffering from multiple injuries and was a class act both on and off the field while representing the Jets tremendously around the league...

yeah he was a loser, your 100% right :rolleyes:

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Untouchable;3470164]What I find hilarious is that you always dog Curtis for never delivering in the postseason but then give full credit to a guy like Tomlinson who has been horrendous in the playoffs throughout his career.

Does coming up short in the playoffs prevent LaDainian from being mentioned as one of the greatest of all-time?[/QUOTE]

Show me the post where I gave LT credit in the post season?? He's a bigger bust then Martin post season. As far as the regular season goes the compiler can't hold LT's jock..If you saw any great back play there is no way you put Martin in with them..He is right there with watching grass grow and paint dry..Is Vinny better then Montana or a bunch of other HOF QB's?? He has more passing yardage.. Here's a trivia question name another back that made the pro bowl avg 3.5 and 3.6 ypc in a season..

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=bleedgreen03;3470173]that makes a lot of sense :rolleyes:...so your definition of warrior is loud, aggresive and on the edge?...believe me i love everything rex has to offer but players like martin are a different type of warrior compared to those like scott and rex...curtis carried this team while suffering from multiple injuries and was a class act both on and off the field while representing the Jets tremendously around the league...

yeah he was a loser, your 100% right :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Then you would say Favre was a warrior playing with that bad shoulder correct??

All League
    [QUOTE=Savage69;3470181]Then you would say Favre was a warrior playing with that bad shoulder correct??[/QUOTE]

so your telling me favre represented us tremendously on and off the field??

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=bleedgreen03;3470185]so your telling me favre represented us tremendously on and off the field??[/QUOTE]

I care about winning Championships you care about cute little feel nice stories..Who would you rather have running this post season the 98 or 04 Martin or TJ and Greene???

All League
    [QUOTE=Savage69;3470181]Then you would say Favre was a warrior playing with that bad shoulder correct??[/QUOTE]

favre used and abused the jets organization and was a fake to all JETS fans...he treated us like a dirty little slut and if he was gonna **** us he could have at least bought us dinner

he stayed on the field and continued to play to try and showcase himself for the vikings...curtis played to help give the jets the best chance to win, he appreciates the opportunity he was given and is thankful to all fans and the organization for the support he received

Veteran
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;3470154]Jets honorary captains should have been Winston Hill (the guy gets no respect whatsoever) and Joe Klecko.

CuMar is a joke.[/QUOTE]

A joke? A joke? A soon to be Hall of Fame running back is a joke. Really?

The only joke on this thread is you. Are the Pats favored this week? Oh that's right they choked weeks ago.

[QUOTE=Savage69;3470167]In 04 we had 2 OT games without all the extra carries no rushing title for the compiler..Plus Priest Homes was hurt and Shaun Alexander was held out in the last game and complained he was stabbed in the back for losing the title by 1 td.. Having the most carries of his career at his age proved to be his undoing as he was never productive again.. BTW Vinny is 6th or so in passing yds should he make the HOF??[/QUOTE]

And if my aunt had a dick she's be my uncle. Quit making excuses.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=PatsFanTX;3470154]Jets honorary captains should have been Winston Hill (the guy gets no respect whatsoever) and Joe Klecko.

CuMar is a joke.[/QUOTE]
    They actually honored Winston Hill this year at a game, it was well done and a long time coming imo :yes:

All League
    [QUOTE=LIDeadHead;3470093]Though I dont agree with your SOJ reference, I do agree to keep these 2 teams segregated. Aside from Ellis, who else on the team played when CuMart was here?[/QUOTE]
    kerry rhodes, jerricho cotchery, bryan thomas, and i think sione pouha.