Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Breaking Down the Jets vs Colts

Hall Of Fame
    The sequence before the half and the getting behind by two scores really did the Ravens and their running game in I think.

Although on the surface the Jets and the Ravens seem to be similar running teams, I think our running game is "heavier" for want of a better word. It really is all about a one-two punch with us. It is about the offensive line and the two-headed running game wearing out defenders and then getting yards once the defense has been softened up. With the Ravens I think that if they get yards then they will continue to run and at the end of the game the effect is that the defense is worn out. The Ravens do not have anyone who delivers a hit like Greene and their offensive line, while competent is really not as strong as ours.

I cannot remember a game that once we had cracked the rush defense that it was not available to us all game long. With the Ravens teams have made adjustments and stopped Rice.

The hair was standing straight up on my arms reading that and waiting for the final score prediction Jason. I agree that one of the most important keys is stopping Freeney when we have the ball, and of course Peyton when they have the ball. I believe we can do it, and hopefully the ball continues to bounce our way :yes:

very impressive post, the best analysis I have seen on the game.

full disclosure--colts fan here--but have a good friend from jersey who loves the jets, so have watched more than half of their games--and like your team, and of course stand united with you in hatred of the patsies.

a few points to add. first, jason's analysis of the differences between the colts and chargers passing game is spot on. a key to the jets game will have to be jamming the receivers on the line of srimmage. this is what cracked me up about earlier posts on here about how clark is shorter than gates. manning doesn't really throw jump balls--most of clarks passes come in about an three inches from the ground--either he catches it, or it hits the turf.

as for the colts on defense. mathis, session, and powers did not play in the game against the jets at all. i cannot emphasize enough how important (and underappreciated) session has been for us this year. also, freeny has become much less of a liability on the run, and has actually had some pretty timely run blitzes for us this year--so the idea of switching it up and running in clear passing downs when he is in the package is not as much of sure thing as it would have been earlier in the year.

finally, i think a last key for the jets will be sure that the colts don't get the ball with two minutes or less in the first half. the colts have gotten key scores at the end of the first half multiple times this year--because teams don't manage the clock well--i always wonder why the colts just don't play the 90 second offense all game--lol.

I think it will be a good game. I think the first half will be close, with the colts putting the game away in the third quarter. and i think the jets have a great deal to be excited about with this team going forward.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=anti-patriots;3470243]very impressive post, the best analysis I have seen on the game.

full disclosure--colts fan here--but have a good friend from jersey who loves the jets, so have watched more than half of their games--and like your team, and of course stand united with you in hatred of the patsies.

a few points to add. first, jason's analysis of the differences between the colts and chargers passing game is spot on. a key to the jets game will have to be jamming the receivers on the line of srimmage. this is what cracked me up about earlier posts on here about how clark is shorter than gates. manning doesn't really throw jump balls--most of clarks passes come in about an three inches from the ground--either he catches it, or it hits the turf.

as for the colts on defense. mathis, session, and powers did not play in the game against the jets at all. i cannot emphasize enough how important (and underappreciated) session has been for us this year. also, freeny has become much less of a liability on the run, and has actually had some pretty timely run blitzes for us this year--so the idea of switching it up and running in clear passing downs when he is in the package is not as much of sure thing as it would have been earlier in the year.

finally, i think a last key for the jets will be sure that the colts don't get the ball with two minutes or less in the first half. the colts have gotten key scores at the end of the first half multiple times this year--because teams don't manage the clock well--i always wonder why the colts just don't play the 90 second offense all game--lol.

I think it will be a good game. I think the first half will be close, with the colts putting the game away in the third quarter. and i think the jets have a great deal to be excited about with this team going forward.[/QUOTE]

Welcome on board. I agree that Session has really become a force in the middle for the Colts. He is a hard hitter and as all Colts defenders he is very fast. Has a little nasty streak going about him, too, which I love in players. I would even go as far as saying that he's the best linebacker for Indy even with Gary Brackett in there who is obviously one of the leaders of their D.

Now I have said this many times, it will come down to which team will force the other one to play their style of game. The Jets want to turn it into a streetfight, slow moving, low scoring affair with physical battles in the trenches and not a lot of rythmn. The Colts obviously would prefer a more fast paced game with a higher score because the Jets don't have what it takes right now to match another team score for score. Plus like the Ravens, they aren't built for coming from too far behind.
    The mental aspect of the game will be huge. The Jets right now are breathing confidence and the power of believe can be a strong factor. The longer the game stays close, the Colts might feel tighter, the crowd might get restless and Manning might push it a little as Jason said. The exact same thing happened to the Chargers. The Jets kept the game close, the crowd started to worry, you could see the players started to get frustrated and commit stupid mistakes and then in the second half the Jets just unleashed their power and strength on the Chargers. Mentally San Diego was out of it and had almost no fight left. In my opinion this is one of the Jets biggest strengths right now, they feel they are the mentally tougher team and will outwear their opponent both physically and mentally.

The matchup of Indy's fast defense against our physical, strong rushing attack is gonna be interesting. You don't know how it will play out, the Colts will sure come out fired up and flying to the ball. But the Jets don't care if they get nothing at the start of the game. They will pound and pound methodically and ultimatively this will bring you some success over the course of a game. The Jets just are too good of a run blocking group up front to not get their gains. Now this is where Sanchez comes into play. He has to make throws and deliver on third down which will be tough against the rush of the Colts.

It's a very interesting matchup as we have two completely contrasting styles going up against each other. A very potent offense led by great, smart QB against a rugged, aggressive and opportunistic defense. Both backed by great minds on the sideline. Then you have the fast, smaller defensive Cover 2 defense against a physical, ground and pound attack led by a rookie QB behind a big and nasty offensive line.

You are making a good point that we have a lot of things to look forward in the future. I agree, the Jets have a lot of young players in key positions, have found their identity and figure to only get better in the next couple of years. Hope that this will be the case because you'll never know in the NFL...

Truer words haven't been spoken than your suggestion to start Greene on the opening possessions. Major KUDOS.

I think this is an absolutely CRITICAL move to get our offense moving chains early and at the very least establishing favorable field position.

... nice 1st post A-P ...

... hope to see you around longer than just this week ...

l_j_r

[QUOTE=anti-patriots;3470243]

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the post AP. The Colts are incredible in the two minute drill at the end of the 1st half. That is really where they seem to get the advantage in all their games. I still can not understand how Harbaugh made such a blunder last week allowing Manning to not just get the ball back, but with timeouts! To go run, pass, pass from your own 18 with 2 minutes left is insane. At least make the Colts use all 3 time outs there. Maybe at worst you give up a FG. Instead they gave the Colts the whole field to use because they had 2 timeouts left. If I was a Ravens fan I would have been furious at the coach. That decision changed the game from winnable to hopeless.