Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Sanchez more comfortable in the pocket

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Sanchez more comfortable in the pocket

I hadn't seen this mentioned in any other threads. I've heard some different people (radio talk shows) questioning whether Sanchez has actually improved, or if it's just the coaching staff limiting his decision making. One of the things that I noticed in the game against the Chargers was how much more comfortable Sanchez looked in the pocket when there was pressure around him. There were several instances in the second half where there was pressure coming from both edges. Earlier in the season you would have seen the happy feet, Sanchez going into panic mode. Instead, he showed awareness while continuing to look downfield for the open receiver. Anyone else notice the same thing?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=green&white;3470003]I hadn't seen this mentioned in any other threads. I've heard some different people (radio talk shows) questioning whether Sanchez has actually improved, or if it's just the coaching staff limiting his decision making. One of the things that I noticed in the game against the Chargers was how much more comfortable Sanchez looked in the pocket when there was pressure around him. There were several instances in the second half where there was pressure coming from both edges. Earlier in the season you would have seen the happy feet, Sanchez going into panic mode. Instead, he showed awareness while continuing to look downfield for the open receiver. Anyone else notice the same thing?[/QUOTE]

Personally I still see too many hitches -- it's one thing if it's a pump fake, but too often it really looks like he wants to get rid of it, and keeps pulling it back in.

I guess that's a good thing (as opposed to making a bad throw), but I'm hoping over time the good read becomes obvious more quickly, b/c all this hesitation is gonna catch up with him at some point.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, even when he threw that interception, I liked the downfield look and standing tall in the pocket.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JamaicanJetFan;3470006]Yep, even when he threw that interception, I liked the downfield look and standing tall in the pocket.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it was a bad decision, but he was getting rid of the ball for a good reason - there was a blitzer coming off the corner coming in unabated. He had to get rid of it. He forced it to a WR who was covered, but it wasn't like in past times where he rushed his throw on account of phantom pressure.

In that instance, you have to give some credit to the Chargers defense. They were able to blitz and still have bracket coverage on Edwards. I'm sure there was a hot receiver, but Sanchez simply didn't have enough time to find him.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    well see how comfortable he is with freeney and their other DE (cant remember his name) running after him all day sunday

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ASH_1962;3470014]well see how comfortable he is with freeney and their other DE (cant remember his name) running after him all day sunday[/QUOTE]

Brick will abuse Freeney. Brick just matches up perfectly with him and that is the reason Brick always owns him.

Only way Freeney gets a sack is if the Jets let him come free because Indy is rushing too many for us to block.

Mathis may be a pain, but I'd have to see Woody get beat consistently to believe it can happen.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Even the Charger fans said that the TD to Keller was a very veteran-like play.

In 2 years, Sanchez will be money.

He looks a lot better. We'll see what happens.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Got to give credit to the oline as well. They have really done a great job at giving Sanchez a pocket and keeping pressure off of him. But he has done a good job when the two ends rush up the field and he steps up into the pocket instead of moving left or right and just leaving the pocket. He's using what the line is giving him.

With the Colts....Sanchez just can't sit in the pocket for a long time even if he thinks Freeny and Mathis have been blocked...because they are relentless and come back around to sack you if you stand there too long. It's got to be quick passes like they've been doing.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MDL_JET;3470205]Got to give credit to the oline as well. They have really done a great job at giving Sanchez a pocket and keeping pressure off of him. But he has done a good job when the two ends rush up the field and he steps up into the pocket instead of moving left or right and just leaving the pocket. He's using what the line is giving him.

With the Colts....Sanchez just can't sit in the pocket for a long time even if he thinks Freeny and Mathis have been blocked...because they are relentless and come back around to sack you if you stand there too long. It's got to be quick passes like they've been doing.[/QUOTE]

Too right. the O-Line has been excellent in pass protection in the post season. That has definitely helped Sanchez to settle down quite a bit. He's been stepping up into the pocket more and handling pressure much better. He's still no where near his potential, but he's playing well enough to help in the win right now. I'm still worried if he has to shoulder this offense. I don't have quite the confidence in him right now to do that, but he's definitely improved greatly.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MDL_JET;3470205]Got to give credit to the oline as well. They have really done a great job at giving Sanchez a pocket and keeping pressure off of him. But he has done a good job when the two ends rush up the field and he steps up into the pocket instead of moving left or right and just leaving the pocket. He's using what the line is giving him.

With the Colts....Sanchez just can't sit in the pocket for a long time even if he thinks Freeny and Mathis have been blocked...because they are relentless and come back around to sack you if you stand there too long. It's got to be quick passes like they've been doing.[/QUOTE]

It should be easier to run on the Colts as well. They're not built to defend straight ahead, off tackle running styles.

Quick screens and such would be strong here. I expect to see woodhead involved this week.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think he is showing incredible progress. He is beginning to exude the confidence his team needs in their leader. After the pic, he wasn't hanging his head like he did in the past. He forgot about it, went right back out there and took care of business.

One thing I noticed is right before the last drive in SD, they put the camera on him and he was clapping his hands while running over to get his helmet on, like he was saying to himself UFCK YEAH, LETS GO DO THIS!

Also, he seems to handle his pressers and the media much better, win or lose.

He's maturing right before our eyes.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=John_0515;3470198]Even the Charger fans said that the TD to Keller was a very veteran-like play.

In 2 years, Sanchez will be money.

He looks a lot better. We'll see what happens.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

I personally think that in 2 years, Sanchez will be better than Eli Manning. Next season, the kid will be what, 24?

Even though that play was a pick in the Chargers game, you watch it again - he knew he was going to be hit, stood up to it, and delivered a decisive (and hard) throw.

He doesn't seem to be ducking and running around as much. He knows he has two or three options every pass play. I saw him staring down his first read and throwing to his second quite a bit in the Bengals game. Let's also remember Keller and Edwards had two MAJOR and EASY CATCH drops in the Bengals game. Had they caught them, he'd have been 14 of 15.

In the Chargers game, the Keller TD Play showed creativity - the obvious route direction had failed, so he bought more time and threw an uninterceptable ball to Keller. Sanchez varies his speeds - he can throw a bullet or throws some touch. Way back in the windy Bills game that was a nightmare for him, I blame 80% of it on Schotty. Those routes required arc - something that should have never been called for in the wind. Ryan Fitzpatrick had clear lanes to his WRs. If its windy, Sanchez needs to have the opportunity to throw bullets with clear lanes. But no, those routes always had a Bills defender and, by design, required a 70% throw. If you rewatch that game, you'll see I'm right.

The point is that his awareness and scanning ability has increased and he buys time when he really needs it. He is no longer afraid to take a rare hit. The playcall (and how it dictates arc) and the WRs (catch the damn ball!) need to accommodate him more.

We can all agree, however, that he'll be much better off for having played the entirety of this year.