Thread: How big are the Colts?

How big are the Colts?

How big are the Colts on the interior of their defensive line?
    One thing I know for sure is that the Jet Oline has been bringing some NASTY over the last 4 games.
    I feel that the true key to this game is 3rd down conversions in the FIRST HALF of this game for the Jets. With each conversion, our line gets to block down on the smaller Colts (I know there will be some Xtra flops on them when they are on the ground, nothing like a 340Lb man landing on ya).

That extra pounding that our Oline can give out with a new set of downs is the most important thing heading into the second half where we can take over the game with our power formations.

If we can get the Colts in a position where those safeties & corners DO NOT want to stick there head in there anymore we'll win the battle.

I also think this would be the perfect game to go Tiger cat in the 2nd half after the Colts D loses it's 1st half edge. Brad Smith to Cotch would be a thing of beauty.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    [QUOTE=jetster;3470274]How big are the Colts on the interior of their defensive line?
    One thing I know for sure is that the Jet Oline has been bringing some NASTY over the last 4 games.
    I feel that the true key to this game is 3rd down conversions in the FIRST HALF of this game for the Jets. With each conversion, our line gets to block down on the smaller Colts (I know there will be some Xtra flops on them when they are on the ground, nothing like a 340Lb man landing on ya).

That extra pounding that our Oline can give out with a new set of downs is the most important thing heading into the second half where we can take over the game with our power formations.

If we can get the Colts in a position where those safeties & corners DO NOT want to stick there head in there anymore we'll win the battle.

I also think this would be the perfect game to go Tiger cat in the 2nd half after the Colts D loses it's 1st half edge. Brad Smith to Cotch would be a thing of beauty.[/QUOTE]
    If he can catch him....

[QUOTE=lorwood;3470278]8 to 10 hands[/QUOTE]

That's pretty funny!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=jetster;3470274]How big are the Colts on the interior of their defensive line?

I also think this would be the perfect game to go Tiger cat in the 2nd half after the Colts D loses it's 1st half edge. Brad Smith to Cotch would be a thing of beauty.[/QUOTE]

The interior of the Colts line consists of Antonio Johnson, Daniel Muir and Raheem Brock, for the most part. I can't say that I have seen them play all that much, but I like our chances pounding it up the middle.

But, while physical, its not like our O-line is particularly brawny. Except for Woody, everyone else is in the 310 or below range. They are, however, very mobile and very good at creating angles and getting guys moving. I think our O-line will have more success than the Ravens Oline which is more of a beefy, power line. We still have the size advantage against the Colts front 7 but we aren't giving anything up in the quickness department.

They're huge

[IMG]http://mkw.mortalkombatonline.com/mka/goro/cutout.png[/IMG]

All League
    [QUOTE=crasherino;3470293]The interior of the Colts line consists of Antonio Johnson, Daniel Muir and Raheem Brock, for the most part. I can't say that I have seen them play all that much, but I like our chances pounding it up the middle.

But, while physical, its not like our O-line is particularly brawny. Except for Woody, everyone else is in the 310 or below range. They are, however, very mobile and very good at creating angles and getting guys moving. I think our O-line will have more success than the Ravens Oline which is more of a beefy, power line. We still have the size advantage against the Colts front 7 but we aren't giving anything up in the quickness department.[/QUOTE]

I'm starting to wonder if we go down sticking to our guns and keep running it, or we need to plan on attacking their young 2ndary? I know we stuck with it in SD, and eventually broke through, but the Ravens are very similar in their running style and couldn't really get that going. Maybe we'll benefit from the Ravens having wore them down a bit?

It's great to be talking about match ups at this point, rather than draft picks... :)

Veteran
    Freeney 6'1" 268
    Antonio Johnson 6'3" 310
    Daniel Muir 6'2" 312
    Mathis 6'2" 245
    LBs
    Brackett 5'11" 235
    Session 6'0" 235
    Wheeler 6'2" 240
    Safeties
    Bethea 5'11" 203
    Bullitt 6'1" 201
    LCB
    Hayden 6'0" 195
    no one listed at RCB

Shonne Greene 5'11" 226 TJ 5'10" 212--Looks like it could Be a long day for the LBs and DBs

All Pro
    [QUOTE=crasherino;3470293]The interior of the Colts line consists of Antonio Johnson, Daniel Muir and Raheem Brock, for the most part. I can't say that I have seen them play all that much, but I like our chances pounding it up the middle.

But, while physical, its not like our O-line is particularly brawny. Except for Woody, everyone else is in the 310 or below range. They are, however, very mobile and very good at creating angles and getting guys moving. I think our O-line will have more success than the Ravens Oline which is more of a beefy, power line. We still have the size advantage against the Colts front 7 but we aren't giving anything up in the quickness department.[/QUOTE]

Well, we might not have the heaviest OLine but we are still a big, physical group especially in comparison to the Colts. All our guys are 6-3 or taller. Add in Hartsock and Mulligan, two big TEs, Wayne Hunter and of course Tony Richardson and we bring quite a force to the battle. The thing isn't only about the size it is about being physical, technique and strength. Mangold and Faneca are nasty players just like Moore and Woody just want to punish people on the ground. D'Brick has developed nicely in that regard too. Our players are thriving with the ground and pound mentality and they embody the physical and tough aspect of the game.

Now the Colts are small up front even though they have added two big guys in Johnson and Muir. Both are basically average players. Freeney and Mathis are both very small. Brock has solid size for a DE. Eric Foster comes in on passing downs and is a good pass rusher from the inside.

You are making a great point that we aren't really a slow plodding offensive line which strength can be negated by the speed of the defense. Our guys move well in space and are able to get on LBs quickly. Hopefully we can move some people on Sunday. BTW the whole idea that the Colts stopped the Ravens last week just isn't true. Here are the entire gains by the Ravens in the game one by one:

First quarter: 1 yard, 8, 3, 3, 2, 6, 2, 2 (8 rushes for 3.3 ypc)
    Second quarter: 6, 2, 4, 4 (4 rushes for 4.0 ypc)
    Third quarter: 2, 5, 9, 0, 6 (5 rushes for 4.4 ypc)
    Fourth quarter: 20, 2 (2 rushes for 11 ypc)

Now you can see that the Ravens really never really commited to the run and Flacco on top of that was having an awful awful game (he was injured to be fair). But in the end, you see that you can get solid gains against the Colts defense even in a game where they "stopped the run" if you believe the hogwash from the media. Especially when you consider that we got propably the best run blocking front aided by one of the best run blocking FBs in the game.

The Colts D is not that big. It was built by Dungy on the model of the old Tampa defenses, which emphasized speed over power.

You can attack them inside somewhat, but it is difficult to get outside.

I think Jets will try to run right at Freeney and Mathis in an attempt to wear them down as the game goes along. This will work assuming we can keep it close into the second half, just like last week.

[QUOTE=JetStream;3470318]I'm starting to wonder if we go down sticking to our guns and keep running it, or we need to plan on attacking their young 2ndary? I know we stuck with it in SD, and eventually broke through, but the Ravens are very similar in their running style and couldn't really get that going. Maybe we'll benefit from the Ravens having wore them down a bit?

It's great to be talking about match ups at this point, rather than draft picks... :)[/QUOTE]

No way. That's what has made the Jets so successful in the playoffs. Even when the run game wasn't making big plays they kept at it and it eventually hit big.

Ravens might have the same type of gameplan with tough D and run the ball but Ravens don't have the same type of physical run style as the Jets do with Jones and Greene. Rice isn't exactly a bruiser type back. Plus they abandoned the run very early in the game and played into the Colts style of football. And that's something you never want to do.

Veteran
    Our OL-- 3@ 305, Brick 310, Woody 330. If we can counter their speed at the DEs then we should have a decisive advantage.

Like everybody else, I just can't wait for the game, and this matchup in particular. Since this is a clear advantage for the Jets, I'm looking for the OL to maul the Indy D early and often and annihilate them with some good old fashioned trench warfare. :yes:

Also eager to see Brick and Woody lay a few pancake blocks on Freeney and Mathis. Then T-Rich and War Machine can happily skip through the gaps and lay the lumber on the S.O.B's :D

the ravens run game is not as good as the jets and neither is their pass game. right now sanchez is at least equal to flacco. i give the jets a much better chance in this game than the ravens had last week.

[QUOTE=Flaming Mo;3470339]Well, we might not have the heaviest OLine but we are still a big, physical group especially in comparison to the Colts. All our guys are 6-3 or taller. Add in Hartsock and Mulligan, two big TEs, Wayne Hunter and of course Tony Richardson and we bring quite a force to the battle. The thing isn't only about the size it is about being physical, technique and strength. Mangold and Faneca are nasty players just like Moore and Woody just want to punish people on the ground. D'Brick has developed nicely in that regard too. Our players are thriving with the ground and pound mentality and they embody the physical and tough aspect of the game.

Now the Colts are small up front even though they have added two big guys in Johnson and Muir. Both are basically average players. Freeney and Mathis are both very small. Brock has solid size for a DE. Eric Foster comes in on passing downs and is a good pass rusher from the inside.

You are making a great point that we aren't really a slow plodding offensive line which strength can be negated by the speed of the defense. Our guys move well in space and are able to get on LBs quickly. Hopefully we can move some people on Sunday. BTW the whole idea that the Colts stopped the Ravens last week just isn't true. Here are the entire gains by the Ravens in the game one by one:

First quarter: 1 yard, 8, 3, 3, 2, 6, 2, 2 (8 rushes for 3.3 ypc)
    Second quarter: 6, 2, 4, 4 (4 rushes for 4.0 ypc)
    Third quarter: 2, 5, 9, 0, 6 (5 rushes for 4.4 ypc)
    Fourth quarter: 20, 2 (2 rushes for 11 ypc)

Now you can see that the Ravens really never really commited to the run and Flacco on top of that was having an awful awful game (he was injured to be fair). But in the end, you see that you can get solid gains against the Colts defense even in a game where they "stopped the run" if you believe the hogwash from the media. Especially when you consider that we got propably the best run blocking front aided by one of the best run blocking FBs in the game.[/QUOTE]

All League
    [QUOTE=MDL_JET;3470347]No way. That's what has made the Jets so successful in the playoffs. Even when the run game wasn't making big plays they kept at it and it eventually hit big.

Ravens might have the same type of gameplan with tough D and run the ball but Ravens don't have the same type of physical run style as the Jets do with Jones and Greene. Rice isn't exactly a bruiser type back. Plus they abandoned the run very early in the game and played into the Colts style of football. And that's something you never want to do.[/QUOTE]

+1 totally agree. we cannot abandon the run unless weve drastically fallen behind