Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to attack Peyton Manning?

[QUOTE=Jack Straw;3470300]
    I'm not comparing Chad to Peyton, simply pointing out that it really creates NIGHTMARES on QB's who aren't blessed with GREAT arms and mobility.
    [/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2003010400/2002/POST18/colts@jets[/url]

Chad owned Peyton 41-0 the last time these 2 teams met in the playoffs! :yes:

[QUOTE=gcherd;3470554][url]http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2003010400/2002/POST18/colts@jets[/url]

Chad owned Peyton 41-0 the last time these 2 teams met in the playoffs! :yes:[/QUOTE]

Out of your 2,884 posts how many of them don't feature the words Chad or Pennington in them? ;)

[QUOTE=IM3;3470558]Out of your 2,884 posts how many of them don't feature the words Chad or Pennington in them? ;)[/QUOTE] None :(! ...you know I'm wishing Chad was QB of this 2009 Jets team. I know many consider him a playoff choker but I feel he would give this Jets team a better chance Sunday than Sanchez will. I am rooting for your Jets and hope Sanchez plays great Sunday, but if your Jets win I think it will be the running game keeping Manning off of the field.

[QUOTE=gcherd;3470570]None :(! ...you know I'm wishing Chad was QB of this 2009 Jets team. I know many consider him a playoff choker but I feel he would give this Jets team a better chance Sunday than Sanchez will. I am rooting for your Jets and hope Sanchez plays great Sunday, but if your Jets win I think it will be the running game keeping Manning off of the field.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, we will never know what could have been if Chad was the starter on this team, but the facts are we have gotten further this year than any team lead by Chad. This is mostly due to our defense and running game, but there have been some key 3rd down throws that Sanchez has made in the playoffs that I don't think Chad could have ever made (3rd and 10 out to Cotchery, 3rd and 4 to Cotchery on the Greene TD drive, last week for instance)

[QUOTE=IM3;3470578]Honestly, we will never know what could have been if Chad was the starter on this team, but the facts are we have gotten further this year than any team lead by Chad. This is mostly due to our defense and running game, but there have been some key 3rd down throws that Sanchez has made in the playoffs that I don't think Chad could have ever made (3rd and 10 out to Cotchery, 3rd and 4 to Cotchery on the Greene TD drive, last week for instance)[/QUOTE]

I was thinking last weekend about how kickers played such a roll in 2004 vs. the Steelers (the Jets Doug Brien missed kicks) and in 2009 vs. the Chargers (the opponent Nate Kaeding missed kicks). In 2004 Pennington would have faced a favored New England team, and now Sanchez gets his chance against a favored Colts team. You are right, we will never know and it doesn't matter anyway; good luck this Sunday with Mark Sanchez leading the way! I rooted hard for the Jets from 2000-2007 with Chad, and I'm rooting for you again Sunday. Loyal Jets fans deserve this :yes:!

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Jack Straw;3470448]The most offensive players that can be sent out on any play are FIVE.

What about rushing one and double teaming EVERY ONE of their players? Do you really think Peyton is that good to beat that? Threat would be that he might take off and run, but as we know, the guy is a complete statue.[/QUOTE]

When you play pickup football etc. think about how hard it is to guard an offensive player if the receiver has an unlimited amount of time to do what he wants. It's simply impossible for most CBs who aren't Revis to stay with WRs for more than a few seconds, because the receivers know where they're going, while the DBs do not. Also, I think the Colts would probably run the ball against a one man front

Veteran
    [QUOTE=njherdfan;3470603]When you play pickup football etc. think about how hard it is to guard an offensive player if the receiver has an unlimited amount of time to do what he wants. It's simply impossible for most CBs who aren't Revis to stay with WRs for more than a few seconds, because the receivers know where they're going, while the DBs do not. Also, I think the Colts would probably run the ball against a one man front[/QUOTE]

You'd have to disguise it. Ellis, Bryan Thomas, Pouha, and Pace on the line, with Thomas, Ellis, and Pace dropping back, or you can have Ellis and Pouha rush, if you want to rush two...

You give Peyton Manning all day, and he'll take all day, and he'll beat you.

It's been shown in playoffs past, you have to pressure and confuse Manning, get his mechanics all messed up, and then create turnovers...... and I think we can do it.

I think there's some merit to Jack Straw's idea--we have to keep giving Peyton different looks, and out of those looks do different things. Obviously, rushing 3 and dropping 8 into coverage every down is suicide, but if you do it once in a while when you're showing a sell-out blitz, you can catch Peyton after he has audibled to somehting that won't be there when he tries it. It could work, and the main thing is, he makes him think more, which gives him less time to react, and that's when his feet start getting happy. With enough of that going on, you can get the pick, or even the sack. There's nothing better than a sack from a 3-man rush. Nothing. It absolutely demoralizes the offense.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Jack Straw;3470543]Peyton Manning missed two TDs by two inches, [B]and it had nothing to do with pressure.[/B] He won't miss again.[/QUOTE]

O RLY?

Veteran
    [QUOTE=beemer;3471134]O RLY?[/QUOTE]

Yes, where did you see pressure on those throws?

Veteran
    [QUOTE=vinluvr;3470915]I think there's some merit to Jack Straw's idea--we have to keep giving Peyton different looks, and out of those looks do different things. Obviously, rushing 3 and dropping 8 into coverage every down is suicide, but if you do it once in a while when you're showing a sell-out blitz, you can catch Peyton after he has audibled to somehting that won't be there when he tries it. It could work, and the main thing is, he makes him think more, which gives him less time to react, and that's when his feet start getting happy. With enough of that going on, you can get the pick, or even the sack. There's nothing better than a sack from a 3-man rush. Nothing. It absolutely demoralizes the offense.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Not every down, obviously. Maybe 15-20% of the time would be effective IMO.

[QUOTE=Jack Straw;3470300]Peyton Manning might be the greatest quarterback to ever strap on a helmet, however, like all QBs, he isn't without his weaknesses.

He has two flaws that the Jets need to attack. 1) He doesn't have the strongest arm in the world and he can't move around outside the pocket.

He has plenty of arm to make all the throws, but he relies on precision, touch, and accuracy more than pure arm strength and can't lazer balls in between defenders like, say, a Brett Favre. In order to take advantage of the fact that he cannot lazer balls into tight spots, the Jets need to flood the field with defenders and force Peyton to try to squeeze the ball into a tight area, with the goal being that he turns the balls over.

How to do that? Easy, drop 9 or 10 people into coverage. Peyton, like all QBs, has an internal clock. He can't move outside the pocket and will throw the ball before his internal clock hits five or six seconds. He's not going to scramble around the back field looking for someone to get open becuase, simply put, he's doesn't move well enough.

On top of that, the Jets can drop eight people into coverage, and overload Peyton's back-side by only rushing three. Blitzing Peyton won't work. They need to have as many people in coverage and find creative ways to make it seem like there are a lot of people coming, even though they're only sending 3-4 people, at most.

This strategy, when employed by the Ravens last week, forced Peyton into an interception courtesy of Ed Reed. This strategy basically ruined Chad Pennington's career. I'm not comparing Chad to Peyton, simply pointing out that it really creates NIGHTMARES on QB's who aren't blessed with GREAT arms and mobility.

JMO.[/QUOTE]

Uh.... is this a serious post?

[QUOTE=southside;3470310]Dude, I don't think that's what we want to do at all. Peyton has uncanny accuracy and the last thing you want him to do is have all day to throw the ball. He'll beat you all day. CBs can't cover WRs that long, they would break off their route and he'd make us pay big time.

The way to beat Manning IMO is to get strong pressure up the middle of the pocket, although easier said than done because of Saturday being a great Center. He's too quick with the ball to rush him from the outside. Revis is going to be the biggest reason why we get pressure on Manning, because he's going to be all over Wayne. Make no mistake, Peyton will find his other receivers. This is going to be all about confusing him with the coverages.

[B]There was a very good article about Peyton Manning vs Rex Ryan. Supposedly Peyton studies so much that he knows and has pretty much seen it all. Belichick confused the hell out of him one time just by switching the CB and Safety, which had Manning frustrated all day because he wasn't prepared for it and thus didn't know what to do.[/B] To me that seems like a guy that's book smart but not street smart. A genius with no common sense. Brett Favre would be the opposite of this. Both geniuses at the game, one studies like crazy and the other is just a gamer that improvises better than any QB to play the game.

The way we beat Manning is gonna be to show him looks he's not prepared for. I believe Rex will throw the kitchen sink at him. There will be nothing left in our arsenal after this game, you can bank on that. Although Rex has said that they've held back on a lot of stuff because the defense wasn't ready for it. So maybe now they are ready which would be great because it would be plays that no body has seen yet which bodes well for us.

Long story short, the best way to beat a QB will always be to get pressure on him. Make them uncomfortable, hit them often, keep them out of a rhythm. That will force turnovers and incompletions and a stalled offense. 3rd and long is the key for us, once we get a team in 3rd and long our defense is sickening.[/QUOTE]

Cant remember when it was, but I think it was during Herms tenure that a particular game took place between these two teams and the JETS won. I wanna say Donnie Henderson may have been the defensive coordinator at the time. Well, its funny the Pats did this cause I believe the JETS did it first in the game I am thinking of. I wanna say it was Vic Green and the other safety on the team at the time that kept switching sides cause they noticed it was pissing Peyton off and it was confusing him. The JETS won this game.

This long story is very short... pressure him and confuse the look of the defense. If he cant decipher where whatever pressure is coming from then he will be confused. Period. A confused quarterback is less decisive. Less decisive is very good.

[QUOTE=Jack Straw;3470323]His arm isn't elite. Like I said, he can make all the throws, but it's not a rocket.[/QUOTE]

I am sorry but I respectfully disagree entirely. Is he Favre? Maybe not, cause well, no one is Favre. But... Peyton Manning does NOT have a cannon and relies on accuracy and touch? No.

Mannings ball flies... not floats, flies. It moves and doesnt take time to get to where he is throwing it.

Let's just leave the defensive brainstorming to Rex.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Jet Fumes;3471215]I am sorry but I respectfully disagree entirely. Is he Favre? Maybe not, cause well, no one is Favre. But... Peyton Manning does NOT have a cannon and relies on accuracy and touch? No.

Mannings ball flies... not floats, flies. It moves and doesnt take time to get to where he is throwing it.[/QUOTE]

His ball "flies" in a dome. I can name 9 starting quarterbacks with a stronger arm than Peyton. I'm not saying Peyton's arm isn't good, it's just not elite.
    Last edited by Jack Straw; 01-21-2010 at 08:12 PM.

[QUOTE=Jack Straw;3471267]His ball "flies" in a dome. I can name 9 starting quarterbacks with a sdtringer arm than Peyton. I'm not saying Peyton's arm isn't good,[B] it's just not elite[/B].[/QUOTE]

Huh?

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Vinny Patrollie;3471272]Huh?[/QUOTE]

What is so hard to understand about "it's not elite."?

[QUOTE=Jack Straw;3471277]What is so hard to understand about "it's not elite."?[/QUOTE]

What is hard to understand is how ridiculous a statement it is.

So let's see that list you have of nine QBs in the league right now who have better arms than Manning.