Thread: Who thinks this team can win it all? These guys do...(merged)

Hall Of Fame

Who thinks this team can win it all? These guys do...(merged)

Super Bowl 3-peat: 1968 New York Jets say this Gang can win title

BY Rich Cimini
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, January 21st 2010, 4:00 AM

Read more: [url]http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2010/01/21/2010-01-21_siper_bowl_3peat_jets_1968.html#ixzz0dHJocwND[/url]
    [QUOTE]
    About a month after the draft, John Schmitt drove to the Jets' facility in Florham Park, N.J., and introduced himself to Mark Sanchez. Four decades ago, Schmitt played center for Joe Namath, so this was 1968 shaking hands with 2009 - an instant connection between past glory and future hope.

Schmitt removed his Super Bowl ring, reached for Sanchez's left hand and placed it on his ring finger.

"This is what we want," Schmitt told the quarterback. "This ring would love to have company."

Schmitt was speaking for his 41 teammates in Super Bowl III, the 40 subsequent teams that failed to make the Super Bowl and the countless fans who have suffered through disappointment and calamity.

It wasn't supposed to happen this quickly, not with a rookie coach and a rookie quarterback, but the Jets have rekindled the spirit of '68 by reaching the AFC Championship Game. That they face the Colts, their upset victim in Super Bowl III, makes the story even juicier.

In only 12 months on the job, Rex Ryan is tantalizingly close to completing the world's biggest bridge. From Namath to Sanchez. From Matt Snell and Emerson Boozer to Thomas Jones and Shonn Greene. From the No. 1 defense in the AFL to the No. 1 defense in the NFL.

No one will be rooting harder Sunday than the boys from '68, now in their late 60s and early 70s.

"We're tired of being the only Super Bowl winner," says Gerry Philbin, who will be ready to celebrate Sunday with champagne - just like he did after last week's victory over the Chargers. "We want a new team to represent the Jets."

"We want company," Winston Hill says.

"It's nice they're playing the Colts," Don Maynard says. "Maybe that will bring them our luck. It would be nice to see them get a ring. It's been awhile."

Get ready to slide over, fellas. Two more wins, and you will have to make room on the pedestal.

Then and Now: The '68 Jets on the '09 Jets:

QB Joe Namath on "Mark Sanchez

"Experience can be a major help, but if Mark plays flawlessly or close to flawlessly, hell, yeah, the Jets can win it all ... The goal at the beginning of the season is to get in the playoffs. That's what the Jets have done. To do it with a rookie quarterback and a rookie head coach, wow, that's pretty remarkable stuff. We fans ought to be damn happy, and I know we are."

LT Winston Hill on the tackles and guards

"Dwight Freeney is one of the premier defensive ends of all time, but D'Brickashaw (Ferguson) is one of the best tackles in the NFL. He's had a good year and this is a good time for him to show his stuff. He has the quickness to match Freeney ... Our offensive line is one of the best. They don't back down from anybody, period ... The entire team believes in Rex. He's not sending soldiers out there on the field; he's leading them out there."

C John Schmitt on Nick Mangold

"I love the kid. He's a no-nonsense guy. He's not one of those guys who beat his chest. As soon as the ball is snapped, he just beats the hell out of the guy in front of him. He can pull out and lead around end like a 220-pound back, for crying out loud. He's got tremendous ability. I'm so proud of him ... When we won the Super Bowl, our line had been together for five years. That'll never happen again in the NFL, but this group has great chemistry. Everybody is in sync."

RB Emerson Boozer on the backfield

"I think Thomas Jones is highly underrated. He's one of the top five backs in the league, no question. Tony Richardson, as a lead blocker, does it as well as anyone. Shonn Greene has a load of talent, the kind of ability you don't find too often. On his 53-yard run against San Diego, it wasn't the speed that impressed me. It was the way he ran over that safety. I saw what I needed to see - power."

TE Pete Lammons on tight endsand receivers

"The rookie quarterback is getting better and better, and I think the receivers have helped him. (Jerricho) Cotchery has made some great catches. (Dustin) Keller, that was an outstanding touchdown catch in San Diego. He's a real good athlete; you can see it on TV. (Braylon) Edwards has made some difficult catches, and he's dropped some easy ones. Now it's time for all of them to step up their games."

DE Gerry Philbin on the defensive line

"I'm sorry to hear that (Shaun) Ellis broke his hand, and I know (Kris) Jenkins is out for the year, but we still have a good defensive line. The way they play, with all the linemen and linebackers moving around, it has to be confusing for the offense. Just watching, I get confused. I like (Mike) DeVito. (Marques) Douglas, too ... I'm so glad we played the Colts already. Now we won't be in awe, thinking, 'I wonder how great Peyton Manning is?' We already know; we beat him."

LB Larry Grantham on the linebackers

"I love the way they play defense and run to the ball. They hit people, fill the gaps and cover out of the backfield. (David) Harris is the most impressive to me. He seems to be in on a lot of plays ... Kind of reminds me of our group. We didn't blitz as much as Coach Ryan, but that's the secret now. You can't bump the receivers and the rules are designed to make offenses score more, so your only choice now is to go after the quarterback."

CB Randy Beverly on the secondary

"I think Darrelle Revis is the best player in the NFL. There was no reason for him not to be MVP. He has all the skills, he prepares well and he works hard. He could've played in the old days. He plays that type of game. As a unit, they're all playing very well, but Revis is out there by himself ... There are a lot of similarities between this team and our team. We had the No. 1 defense, so do they. We didn't have a rookie quarterback - we had Joe - but the teams somewhat mirror each other."[/QUOTE]

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Awesome piece, I like how the former players only commented on the players that play the same position.

[QUOTE]
    CB Randy Beverly on the secondary

"I think Darrelle Revis is the best player in the NFL"[/QUOTE]

Randy Beverly knows football.

I agree, that was pretty cool. I would have liked to read Maynard's comments on the WRs but that's ok.

If the Jets keep playing the way they are they will win it all.:cool:

All Pro
    LOVED this quote by Winston Hill:

"The entire team believes in Rex. He's not sending soldiers out there on the field; he's leading them out there."

Lead them to the win, Rex!

All League
    i love the fact our old jets love the new ones..

Sanchez Already Fitted for a Super Bowl Ring

Great stuff here about former Jets center John Schmitt visiting Sanchez after the draft:
    [B]

[B]About a month after the draft, John Schmitt drove to the Jets' facility in Florham Park, N.J., and introduced himself to Mark Sanchez. Four decades ago, Schmitt played center for Joe Namath, so this was 1968 shaking hands with 2009 - an instant connection between past glory and future hope.

Schmitt removed his Super Bowl ring, reached for Sanchez's left hand and placed it on his ring finger.

"This is what we want," Schmitt told the quarterback. "This ring would love to have company."

Schmitt was speaking for his 41 teammates in Super Bowl III, the 40 subsequent teams that failed to make the Super Bowl and the countless fans who have suffered through disappointment and calamity.

It wasn't supposed to happen this quickly, not with a rookie coach and a rookie quarterback, but the Jets have rekindled the spirit of '68 by reaching the AFC Championship Game. That they face the Colts, their upset victim in Super Bowl III, makes the story even juicier.

In only 12 months on the job, Rex Ryan is tantalizingly close to completing the world's biggest bridge. From Namath to Sanchez. From Matt Snell and Emerson Boozer to Thomas Jones and Shonn Greene. From the No. 1 defense in the AFL to the No. 1 defense in the NFL.

No one will be rooting harder Sunday than the boys from '68, now in their late 60s and early 70s.

"We're tired of being the only Super Bowl winner," says Gerry Philbin, who will be ready to celebrate Sunday with champagne - just like he did after last week's victory over the Chargers. "We want a new team to represent the Jets."

"It's nice they're playing the Colts," Don Maynard says. "Maybe that will bring them our luck. It would be nice to see them get a ring. It's been awhile."

Get ready to slide over, fellas. Two more wins, and you will have to make room on the pedestal.

Read more: [url]http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2010/01/21/2010-01-21_siper_bowl_3peat_jets_1968.html#ixzz0dIn72PCn[/url][/B]
    [/B]
    Last edited by DonMaynard; 01-21-2010 at 09:13 PM. Reason: fix headline

That title is going to give a lot of fans a heart attack.

It's funny, I was just telling my brother-in-law (a fellow Jets fanatic) the other day that I don't know what it is, but this team has some kind of weird pyschic connection with the '68 team for some reason. It's almost as if those teams from '69 to '08 are a blur, and these two teams are kindred spirits.

Sounds corny, I know, but the mojo is out there big time. I'm trying to stay humble, but...if this team continues to play balls out...

Just sayin' (but not out loud)

They've already issued the Dolts their SB rings.

We're going to win

KARMA????

Very goosebump inducing read:

[B]About a month after the draft, John Schmitt drove to the Jets' facility in Florham Park, N.J., and introduced himself to Mark Sanchez. Four decades ago, Schmitt played center for Joe Namath, so this was 1968 shaking hands with 2009 - an instant connection between past glory and future hope.

Read more: [url]http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2010/01/21/2010-01-21_siper_bowl_3peat_jets_1968.html#ixzz0dJDoQjfp[/url]
    [/B]

All Pro
    The first Cimini piece I can remember that was better than what I can find on this board.

Banned
    [QUOTE=John_0515;3471472]We're going to win[/QUOTE]

+1

All League
    Great article! I loved reading their opinions rather than those dumb a$$ NFL analysts and beat writers. I pray to god that we win Sunday! :angel2:

Bewildered Beast
    freestater knows the deal. What a F'n incredible read.