Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rex sent Marty a game ball.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Rex sent Marty a game ball.

[url]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2009/news/story?id=4846528[/url]

[quote]FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Jets coach Rex Ryan sent a game ball to Marty Schottenheimer after last weekend's playoff upset of the San Diego Chargers, the team that fired the father of New York's offensive coordinator following a 14-2 regular season.

Brian Schottenheimer said he was touched when he learned of his boss' gesture Tuesday -- and joked that it didn't even occur to him to do it.

Marty Schottenheimer was fired in February 2007 after the Chargers lost their first playoff game despite having the NFL's best record that season. He had 35 wins and two AFC West titles in his last three seasons in San Diego, where his son was quarterbacks coach from 2002 to 2005.

"It felt nice to pick up the phone after the game and talk to my father," Brian Schottenheimer said Thursday.

After Sunday's 17-14 win, the son has a chance to do something his famous father never did as a head coach: reach the Super Bowl. The Jets play Sunday in the AFC championship game at Indianapolis.

Marty Schottenheimer is coaching college players this week at the East-West Shrine Game in Orlando, Fla.[/quote]

How awesome is that? This is why the players love Rex and Schotty says he's finally happy for the first time in years.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's a nice move, but doesn't make a ton of sense. Obviously Marty is happy for his son and glad the Chargers lost, but has nothing to do with us.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Austin;3470996]It's a nice move, but doesn't make a ton of sense. Obviously Marty is happy for his son and glad the Chargers lost, but has nothing to do with us.[/QUOTE]

True, I thought it was odd. But then I thought more about it. Thinking about Rex's personality, it's like he's fighting the battle for everyone... like the NFL's version of Robin Hood.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    They both have a lot in common, Rex and Schotty, it's kinda cool. Great to see Rex doing stuff like that. And while this is all nice in everything, let's go win a Super Bowl.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southside;3471003]True, I thought it was odd. But then I thought more about it. Thinking about Rex's personality, it's like he's fighting the battle for everyone... like the NFL's version of Robin Hood.[/QUOTE]

Great analogy.

It seems like he relates to those who feel they were unjustly treated and he's on a crusade.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    As long as Marty--second only to Norv as the biggest playoff mush in NFL history--is nowhere near our sideline this Sunday and the Super Bowl, I'm fine with it. Although, I agree that it does not make much sense to give him a game ball.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just got a game ball as well from the Jets.

The game ball is from the Jets/Patriots game. :yes:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    What might make sense is.

Marty was on the speaker phone while the Jets coaching staff was game planing, giving insight/advice on what Norv might have planed and maybe potential weakness for SD, you know, helping out his boy,

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe Rex is trying to get a foot in the door with Shotty for when little Shotty leaves and takes on his own team.:rolleyes:

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe Rex is thanking Marty for getting Norv hired as coach.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Austin;3470996]It's a nice move, but doesn't make a ton of sense. Obviously Marty is happy for his son and glad the Chargers lost, but has nothing to do with us.[/QUOTE]

After the game, Brian called Marty and told him, "Dad, this one's for you."

Marty and Brian are obviously bitter about Marty getting fired by AJ Smith. This was a revenge game for Brian. This gesture by Ryan was telling Brian that he has his back.

In other words, Rex is telling Brian: "Your vengeance is my vengeance."

It goes to Rex's theme of family.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SMC;3471049]After the game, Brian called Marty and told him, "Dad, this one's for you."

Marty and Brian are obviously bitter about Marty getting fired by AJ Smith. This was a revenge game for Brian. This gesture by Ryan was telling Brian that he has his back.

It goes to Rex's theme of family.[/QUOTE]

It also signifies the coaching fraternity as well.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    "You take a swipe at one of our guys, we'll take two swipes at yours" :yes:

I'm sure Marty talked to us a little bit about how to beat the team he coached. He also probably felt like he got screwed by the Chargers, so Rex is basically just saying here, we got em for ya.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=QuickStop;3471048]Maybe Rex is thanking Marty for getting Norv hired as coach.[/QUOTE]

That's how I thought of it.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

Marty's sperm made Brian possible. :eek:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SMC;3471049]After the game, Brian called Marty and told him, "Dad, this one's for you."

Thats exactly how I understood it.

Nothing wrong with that.:yes:

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

That. ^^

The knock on Marty is that he is a great reg season coach but horrible in the playoffs. (the record kind of confirms this). So after a playoff loss with a new coach it's kind of like F U to the Chargers.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cool move, Brian turned down the Bills interview and Rex showed some respect, still not thrilled with Shotty but like the gesture

Rex Ryan is the Jets :D

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    To me it makes perfect sense. It is an us versus the world attitude that makes Rex truly different. So many out here are so quick to pillor those they "claim" to lionize. At the end of the day there is no way in the world that Marty should have been fired at all!!!! If Steel Town had half as little paitence as SD Cowher would have been a gonner wel before any SB wins. As one poster it is the coaching fraternity that Rex is fighting for........

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's what I love about Rex, he does everything his own way and he has his own code of honour. No wonder the team loves him and bought into his philosophy so quickly. :yes:

Another feahher in the cap for our swashbuckling coach.